Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bitchkrieg
Mar 10, 2014

BiggerBoat posted:

What's everyone's take on Making of a Murderer? I just started it and know it's getting a lot of hype.

Avery's guilty or not guilty status is secondary to the exploration of how profoundly hosed poors are by the justice system. It's personally satisfying to see popular media challenging the commonly accepted belief that cops/the justice system are infallible.

Another important lesson is never talk to the cops without a lawyer present.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
Any recommendations for cold war era documentaries? Maybe geared toward the intelligence agencies of the time. Been reading Wikipedia articles all about spies during that time.

Special Kei
May 13, 2009
CNN's Cold War is the best one on the cold war generally. Here is a link to some related documentaries.

http://docuwiki.net/index.php?title=Cold_War#Related_Documentaries

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
CNN documentaries generally suck, I remember watching a ten parter on the 20th century that was incredibly blatantly biased towards the USA.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

tekz posted:

CNN documentaries generally suck, I remember watching a ten parter on the 20th century that was incredibly blatantly biased towards the USA.

CNN viewers barely know the rest of the world exists. :ssh:

Herv
Mar 24, 2005

Soiled Meat
So I am interested in watching this documentary and am having trouble purchasing it (or anything else).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HAftwTfXbMs&t=166s

Rare that I get stumped, anyone have an idea?

The producer's site:
http://www.fafilma.lv/en/films/family-instinct

e: I dug it up, 2004 style, but I need to get some Latvian to English CC going. Sheesh.

Herv fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Jan 16, 2016

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Just watched Trophy Kids on Netflix. I don't think it tells you anything you don't know, so only watch it if you want to feel really bad for some kids.
I guess watch it as a guide of how not to live vicariously through your children.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Just watched Trophy Kids on Netflix. I don't think it tells you anything you don't know, so only watch it if you want to feel really bad for some kids.
I guess watch it as a guide of how not to live vicariously through your children.

Then follow it up with The Marinovich Project.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

I was about to watch that yesterday but I decided I didn't feel like yelling at the TV.

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??
Found this fun little hour long documentary from the 80's about Make-up FX Artist Tom Savini

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RpWOM2x0AxQ

I've always found this stuff fascinating and Tom Savini seems to have a very infectious passion for his craft.

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Gaz2k21 posted:

Found this fun little hour long documentary from the 80's about Make-up FX Artist Tom Savini

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RpWOM2x0AxQ

I've always found this stuff fascinating and Tom Savini seems to have a very infectious passion for his craft.
Holy crap - 3 minutes into it, there's Greg Nicotero, makeup guy for The Walking Dead.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

magnificent7 posted:

Holy crap - 3 minutes into it, there's Greg Nicotero, makeup guy for The Walking Dead.

Nicotero is Savini's protege, yeah.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
If you like art and/or Hunter S. Thompson, there's a good documentary about Ralph Steadman I saw not too long ago called "For No Good Reason". I may have posted it before.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

BonoMan posted:

Electric Boogaloo - The Wild, Untold Story of Cannon Films - Official Trailer

https://vimeo.com/107973282

Man I want to see this so bad. I remember so many of those movies.

This was great! It's kind of breakneck, but I enjoyed the more energetic pacing and I thought that despite of that, the film did a great job of getting across the characters of Menahem and Yoram. Turns out I've seen a disturbing amount of Cannon films. Most of them were kind of crappy in retrospect but I can't get mad at any of them.

As others pointed out, the Aussie and Philippine documentaries from the same guy are great too. And I think that in particular with the Ozploitation one, you can actually go and enjoy some of the movies featured in it.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I watched Reel Injun and it was pretty interesting. A native's look at the way the movie industry depicts and has depicted native Americans, and a bit of exploration of native american cinema.

Fruit Smoothies
Mar 28, 2004

The bat with a ZING
Any documentaries regarding the Bible's history? Obviously going for historical accuracy over speculative lore. I am an atheist and just interested in how it all happened / got edited / was sourced etc.

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Watched Cartel Land the other night.

The pastel color grading made it hard to accept the film as a non-fiction work. Not sure the reasoning behind that was.

The segments with the US minutemen border patrol guy almost felt completely unnecessary.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

iSheep posted:

The segments with the US minutemen border patrol guy almost felt completely unnecessary.
For juxtaposition!

I liked it.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts

Fruit Smoothies posted:

Any documentaries regarding the Bible's history? Obviously going for historical accuracy over speculative lore. I am an atheist and just interested in how it all happened / got edited / was sourced etc.

I'm a big fan of the Frontline documentary From Jesus to Christ: The First Christians, which follows the development of Christianity from Jesus to Constantine and the establishment of the Church in the broad terms we understand it today. It takes a very balanced historical perspective, and, as an ancient historian who has worked on ancient Judea before, I found it to be quite accurate. You can stream it for free on Frontline's website.

Whale Vomit
Nov 10, 2004

starving in the belly of a whale
its ribs are ceiling beams
its guts are carpeting
I guess we have some time to kill
I'm really looking forward to this documentary that premiered at Sundance, The Eagle Huntress. It looks like its got some good traction behind it with the producers that have been signed on, and distribution rights bought by Sony.
http://deadline.com/2016/02/the-eag...ens-1201694060/

My friend Asher is the original photographer who discovered Ashol Pan, and it's really great to see this blowing up after experiencing some negative blowback from local Mongolians some years ago. The idea that this could some day be an animated feature is nuts.

Here's the original BBC feature http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-26969150

aga.
Sep 1, 2008

I really recommend Audience of One, it's a really good blend of deluded filmmaker and scumbag prosperity gospel preacher documentary all in one.
A pastor who'd inherited some sort of mega church who has never seen a film before the age of 40 decides God has told him to make the biggest film ever. He decides to call the production "company" WYSIWYG which makes perfect sense as what we see is an idiot out of his depth bluffing his entire family and flock (and their money) in an attempt to make this film and indirectly blaming everything on god.
It's hilarious how much the director/pastor doubles down, quite possibly to the most extreme degree ever. With the supposed German backed budget going from 50 to 100 to 200 million.
Then finally, completely straight faced, when funding completely dries up and he's being sued by the city, this 8 step plan:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pfOJhDEVHbg

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
Oppenheimer and Herzog did a really good Sundance talk about each other's work and documentary in general. Talk begins at 35:08.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SWzXPQ3Qydc

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Finally watched the Cannon film documentary, and that last sentence on the screen had me rolling around laughing for a good five minute straight. I can't remember the last time a movie made me laugh this hard.

It's just so loving perfect.

96 spacejam
Dec 4, 2009

Are there any other docs like the 30 for 30 "June 14th, 1994" where there is no narration, just straight live news clips and interviews from the day of the event? Or something similar at least.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
I can't remember the name but am pretty sure there's one for 9/11 with just the old news clips, etc. of the day.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

mod sassinator posted:

I can't remember the name but am pretty sure there's one for 9/11 with just the old news clips, etc. of the day.

That would be 9/11/01. 102 Minutes That Changed America is very similar but has annoying non-diegetic "thriller" music.

Garth_Marenghi
Nov 7, 2011

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

That would be 9/11/01. 102 Minutes That Changed America is very similar but has annoying non-diegetic "thriller" music.

I am now imagining a 9/11 documentary which has Michael Jackson's "Thriller" as it's background music.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts

KoRMaK posted:

For juxtaposition!

I liked it.

I liked Cartel Land too, though I agree that they could have cut out the entire American border militia part and it would have been a bit stronger. It ended up being much less heavy handed than I thought it would be from the first half hour or so.

This does the best job of anything I've seen or read of illustrating how cartels in Mexico, like jihadi groups in the Middle East, continue to emerge despite efforts to eliminate them because of problems inherent in society and the system. One of my main criticisms is that it would have enriched the narrative if they had initially given more background on the Templars and their origins, since they, too, were initially supposed to be more of a social movement intended to protect the poor and helpless and to put an end to violence and drugs.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
The Templars are a really interesting case study. Once you take up arms and ingratiate yourself into your society, what, exactly, is stopping you from turning popular support into a protection racket?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

The Templars are a really interesting case study. Once you take up arms and ingratiate yourself into your society, what, exactly, is stopping you from turning popular support into a protection racket?

A higher morality.

Oh wait....

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004

What I found most interesting about the documentary is how it allows you to understand the shifts in mindset, at least somewhat.

We need to take up arms to protect our people! Now we are achieving success, but we're also attracting more attention. We need to step up our defences, which requires more guns and the ability to pay people. The cartel members we are fighting steal from us, so let's steal from them. Also, the government makes us pay taxes for protection and they do nothing to protect us; is it so wrong to require payment from people in exchange for actual protection? Now our rivals are cutting into our territory and influence, and people are unhappy about us extorting money from them, so let's cook some drugs to pay for our operations. What's the problem? It only hurts Americans. Finally, the other groups selling drugs and extorting money have the police and military in their pockets; we have to join with them to ensure that they don't stop us.

That's all it takes to get from noble militia defending the people to cartel decapitating anyone who resists. This is also basically how groups like ISIS and the Shiite militias in Iraq emerge.

MeinPanzer fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Feb 18, 2016

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Yep, exactly right. You don't even need to cross oceans to observe the same phenomenon in the 80's to the 90's throughout Central and South America.

Cocoa Ninja
Mar 3, 2007
I dunno, I thought it was pretty clear what the militia leader in Cartel Land's weakness was...

...las Mujeres.

I also agree, the American half of the movie did nothing for me. The guys were quite sad to watch, and since we didn't really get into the depressing background of them beyond a one-off sound bite there wasn't anything to hang onto.

It felt like a producer said, "If you tie in the American side of this, it'll sell better as a doc."

Boomerjinks
Jan 31, 2007

DINO DAMAGE
Do you guys have any recommendations on the best (comprehensive, factual, least-sensational) documentary about the Chernobyl disaster, specifically regarding the liquidators or "bio robots?"

I remember watching an amazing doc sometime around 2013 that was completely devoid of computer animations and references to Hiroshima as a comparison of the explosion, and it was awesome, but I don't remember what it was called and I can't seem to find it on YouTube.

Boomerjinks fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Feb 27, 2016

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Name?

boof
Jun 3, 2001

Boomerjinks posted:

Do you guys have any recommendations on the best (comprehensive, factual, least-sensational) documentary about the Chernobyl disaster, specifically regarding the liquidators or "bio robots?"

I remember watching an amazing doc sometime around 2013 that was completely devoid of computer animations and references to Hiroshima as a comparison of the explosion, and it was awesome, but I don't remember what it was called and I can't seem to find it on YouTube.

I think I watched The True Battle of Chernobyl via this thread a couple of years back, so that may be it. Either way, it's really good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mBAT13Bt9Ic

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

boof posted:

I think I watched The True Battle of Chernobyl via this thread a couple of years back, so that may be it. Either way, it's really good.

Yeah that's my favorite Chernobyl doc. It has awesome interviews, even with super senior people like Mikhail Gorbachev.

Boomerjinks
Jan 31, 2007

DINO DAMAGE

boof posted:

Yeah this is the one I've been watching and the whole "second thermonuclear megaton detonation that would level Kiev" was eye-rolling. I know the frame of reference for nuclear disasters for most people is the mushroom cloud, but that's not at all what was going on.

Garth_Marenghi
Nov 7, 2011

Ok I watched "The History of Maths" and "The Code" and I need more documentaries about math, I need them!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tarantula
Nov 4, 2009

No go ahead stand in the fire, the healer will love the shit out of you.
Today I did not know the word Agerwood, now I know there is a huge amount of money revolving around a smelly bit of wood.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jv69pYSm2oo