Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

This is really good and now I have hope for this movie again.

Also Holtzmann is carrying a can of Pringles and is in the middle of eating a chip when they see the ghost in the first scene haha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Immortan
Jun 6, 2015

by Shine

berserker posted:

I agree with you except for the Suicide Squad being poo poo part

Not my Joker.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Immortan posted:

Not my Joker.

Honestly at what point are we going to change the thread title to "Not my Ghostbusters"

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

I'm kinda bummed that this awesome thread is now marred by this really.

Also say all you want about a trailer being badly edited but "aw hell naw, the devil is a liar (?), that's gonna leave a mark, the power of patty compels you" is just plain not funny.

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

"The devil is a liar" is an old Christian saying.

awesome-express
Dec 30, 2008

Toady posted:

"The devil is a liar" is an old Christian saying.

It can be the first words spoken by man, it's still a very lovely scene that's not funny

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

awesome-express posted:

It can be the first words spoken by man, it's still a very lovely, out of order cut of a scene

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

As a grown man who almost bought a Terrifying Toilet Ghostbusters figure over the weekend, I liked the new trailer. I'm not expecting them to compete with the original. Just have some heart, and it looks like they have it.

I'm also happy to see that the black woman is practically Winston. I know it's not progressive, but I don't find it offensive that the black people in these movies are the normal human beings to play off the nearly autistic white folks.

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service

Death By The Blues posted:

Man I am just tired of the same flat clean look in practically every blockbuster film. I just want some depth or shadows in my frame. Also, I do like the idea of neon blue ghosts but man it is the most unoriginal neon ghosts you could come up with.

This is the main issue I had with the trailer. The cinematography just feels so boring and uninspired, especially compared to Kovacs work in the original.

bhlaab
Feb 21, 2005

cat doter posted:

the reason they're lovely about this particular film means supporting it is important, none of us know if we'll like the film before seeing it, impressions and reviews can only speak about someone's personal reaction to it, so if the impetus to see a movie is "this movie features prominent roles for women and I want to support that" then who cares because that's a good loving reason

This Ghostbusters Cash-In is Really Important. These Disney Princesses are wearing raw denim and the results might be shockingly important.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!

beejay posted:

I'm kinda bummed that this awesome thread is now marred by this really.

Also say all you want about a trailer being badly edited but "aw hell naw, the devil is a liar (?), that's gonna leave a mark, the power of patty compels you" is just plain not funny.

I thought she said the power of pain, but yeah its the real duff note in the trailer

Pretentious Coats
Jan 18, 2009

Protection from what? Ze German?
It was a lovely trailer. It's apparent that the weakest parts of the movie are the lazy, cheesy dialogue and the ham-fisted physical comedy. I hope the visual effects and the story line can fill the void.

Kate McKinnon is very talented with accents and impressions and we've seen what she can do with the right material and cast (Casablanca, Long Island Medium, Carol). SNL became unwatchable after Mike Myers left and she's the reason I came back after 20 years. SNL is still generally awful and if this trailer is a true synopsis of the movie, I have a feeling I'll watch it like l watch SNL: scanning for Holtzmann and ignoring the rest.

If you can't get enough of that gun-licking, SNL does strike gold once in awhile https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-QG-rFf4po

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
The downvote situation on the trailer is about how you'd expect it to be:

There's currently 56,849 comments but apparently Sony have been busy deleting the worst ones.

Edit: oh hey I wonder if anyone has made a reaction video to the new trailer yet ...

:suicide:

Edit 2: :nignog:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EPv943x1kXs

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 10:10 on Mar 4, 2016

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
The bright colours kinda remind me of Batman and Robin...

Doflamingo
Sep 20, 2006

As suspected, the movie looks like dirty rear end. Or should I say goopy vagina now?

xwing
Jul 2, 2007
red leader standing by
The whole colorfulness of it bothered me. It's just the wrong filming style to "feel" like ghostbusters... their stuff is supposed to look and feel cobbled together. It's "unlicensed nuclear accelorator" that was cobbled together... now it has a tron like gun that pops out of it?!? WTF.

I'm a Millennial that grew up with those movies because my dad loved Harold Ramis and the whole thing just feels wrong. Like I saw someone else say this is not Bridesmaids with ghosts!

text me a vag pic
May 18, 2007

Because of how much the trailer references the original movie, a lot of my friends think this movie is a flat out sequel. That's a shame.

berserker
Aug 17, 2003

My love for you
is ticking clock

H13 posted:

The bright colours kinda remind me of Batman and Robin...

Scooby-Doo imo

Ahahaha "I'm a HUGE Ghostbusters fan" "IT WASN'T A HEARSE! Wait, was it a hearse?"

berserker fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Mar 4, 2016

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
It's going to be better than two, not as good as one. Everything will be okay, and we probably won't get a sequel.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

JoshVanValkenburg posted:

It's going to be better than two, not as good as one. Everything will be okay, and we probably won't get a sequel.

You really think this is going to do such bad business that there'll be no sequel? That seems extremely unlikely to me.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

xwing posted:

The whole colorfulness of it bothered me. It's just the wrong filming style to "feel" like ghostbusters... their stuff is supposed to look and feel cobbled together.

Right here is the unsaid assumption of "not my Ghostbusters". Anytime you see the phrase "X is supposed to be like Y", you see it.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

I'm pretty aggravated that the minority is so loving stereotypical. Hey we're re-making this movie with an all female cast and being progressive, but only the whites get to be good at science! Such horseshit.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

KidDynamite posted:

I'm pretty aggravated that the minority is so loving stereotypical. Hey we're re-making this movie with an all female cast and being progressive, but only the whites get to be good at science! Such horseshit.

The Black woman is good at history, she just works as a subway attendant to pay the bills.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

Basebf555 posted:

You really think this is going to do such bad business that there'll be no sequel? That seems extremely unlikely to me.

I honestly think it will go like Friday the 13th and Nightmare on Elm St... It will do okay, but not okay enough for a sequel to get off the ground. I would love for it to be incredible and launch a new Ghostbusters franchise for years to come, but I'm not expecting it.

xwing
Jul 2, 2007
red leader standing by

computer parts posted:

Right here is the unsaid assumption of "not my Ghostbusters". Anytime you see the phrase "X is supposed to be like Y", you see it.

If it was an authentic reboot I could almost understand it then. They'll make more money (or at least think they can) by catering to children and adults tagging along because "it's Ghostbusters"... and probably women who would never go see the original Ghostbusters if it was released now. Since they glaringly are putting it in the same universe it doesn't make sense. The original characters were considered hacks in academia. Venkman was openly considered a shyster. Stantz was the kind of weirdo teaching absurd history courses at a Community College. The stupid whiz-bang pistols coming out of the proton pack just irks me so much. Spengler and Venkman were afraid of their own tools... why would 30 years later we have some tron crap on them?

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Because it's not 1984, technology and culture have changed, and the new film being more reflective of 1984 than 2016 would be dumb and a waste of everybody's time and money.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
Also I want to Proton Punch a ghost

berserker
Aug 17, 2003

My love for you
is ticking clock

Nah, I can't see how this tops VIGGO THE CARPATHIAN and the Statue of Liberty controlled by a NES Advantage.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Pope Guilty posted:

Because it's not 1984, technology and culture have changed, and the new film being more reflective of 1984 than 2016 would be dumb and a waste of everybody's time and money.

I honestly can't think of the last movie that uses the style they want so much.

(it's probably Ghostbusters 2)

xwing posted:

Since they glaringly are putting it in the same universe it doesn't make sense.

Also it's not in the same universe. The "30 years ago they saved the city" is non-diegetic; it's directed at the audience. It's saying "Yes, we know you're only interested in this movie because it says "Ghostbusters", so here it is."

One of the main characters in this movie gets kicked out of their teaching position because they wrote about how ghosts might exist. That makes no sense in a world where ghosts invaded New York City twice.

Violator
May 15, 2003

KidDynamite posted:

That's the only thing I thought was weird, too. Maybe it'll work in the movie with more time to explore the characters. Everything else looks good to great to me.

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

Applewhite posted:

The Black woman is good at history, she just works as a subway attendant to pay the bills.
College graduate with a degree in history working as a subway attendant to pay off school loan debt would be a legit background for a character in America.

xwing
Jul 2, 2007
red leader standing by

Pope Guilty posted:

Does 2016 have more in common with 1984 or Tron? They could have made the packs slim and small. I actually like how the proton streams are vivid and seem less unstable. I think storywise if the smart one was a kid from Spengler's experiments who followed all his stuff later in life would be perfect. She built the packs to improve on his "garage" type hacks. I don't mind the scenes where it seems they're outside one of their places. It makes it seem like the second Ghostbusters. There's just some glaring "Ewok" type poo poo that is bugging the crap out of me and right now it's those stupid pistols.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

I honestly think it will go like Friday the 13th and Nightmare on Elm St... It will do okay, but not okay enough for a sequel to get off the ground. I would love for it to be incredible and launch a new Ghostbusters franchise for years to come, but I'm not expecting it.

Eh, there's also been a bunch of recent remakes that got sequels: Clash of the Titans, Halloween, The Hills Have Eyes, Journey to the Center Of The Earth and The Ring all got sequels and Planet of the Apes and the Texas Chainsaw Massacre* both got prequels. Upcoming remake sequels include Alice Through the Looking Glass and Journey 3: From the Earth to the Moon.

* They subsequently ignored the new TCM films and made another sequel to the original TCM and there'll also be a prequel to the original this year.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

xwing posted:

Does 2016 have more in common with 1984 or Tron?

Bright and shiny is actually pretty in right now.

quote:

There's just some glaring "Ewok" type poo poo that is bugging the crap out of me and right now it's those stupid pistols.

Between both of these comments though I get the impression that you're just mad that video games have colors other than grey and brown.

xwing
Jul 2, 2007
red leader standing by

computer parts posted:

That makes no sense in a world where ghosts invaded New York City twice.

It could... we already had in Ghostbusters 2 the kids not believing a thing about them. They were made pariahs because people's stuff got wrecked. I can totally see that being pulled off 30 years later, Ghostbusters already had a certain amount of absurdity and bravado.

I'll have to rewatch the trailer on the 30 years deal. I think they could easily frame it as a soft reboot.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

xwing posted:

I'll have to rewatch the trailer on the 30 years deal. I think they could easily frame it as a soft reboot.

Most of the surviving cast of the 80s GB films are making cameos in the new film but they're not playing their original characters. Aykroyd is a taxi driver, etc etc.. That would indicate that it's a hard reboot.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Those are horror franchises with niche audiences when compared to something like Ghostbusters. You're making the mistake of assuming that the movie has to be really good to successfully launch a new Ghostbusters franchise, when really it just has to not be aggressively terrible. Enough people will see this on opening weekend alone to justify a sequel, the budget is around $150 million, so you know its going to at least double that. And that would probably be a worst case scenario.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Watch Murray's cameo be Mayor Venkman, just to gently caress with people.

xwing
Jul 2, 2007
red leader standing by

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Most of the surviving cast of the 80s GB films are making cameos in the new film but they're not playing their original characters. Aykroyd is a taxi driver, etc etc.. That would indicate that it's a hard reboot.

He was running a bookstore in GB2. Does it seem implausible to be a taxi driver later?

Pope Guilty posted:

Between both of these comments though I get the impression that you're just mad that video games have colors other than grey and brown.

Do they?!?! I guess they'll make it whatever they feel like, but it's a bit disappointing that they haven't retained some of the character from the originals.

To me so far this is my summary... Absent Minded Professor:Flubber::Old Ghostbusters:New Ghostbusters

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

berserker
Aug 17, 2003

My love for you
is ticking clock

xwing posted:

It could... we already had in Ghostbusters 2 the kids not believing a thing about them. They were made pariahs because people's stuff got wrecked. I can totally see that being pulled off 30 years later, Ghostbusters already had a certain amount of absurdity and bravado.

To be fair in Ghostbusters 2 the Statue of loving Liberty moves, and the reason it's able to do so is because of everyone in the city coming together to believe and sing.

• Locked thread