Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

I got a Westinghouse 32" 720p in December 2008 at a black friday sale and in spite of a ton of operating hours on it it's held up fine. It's a nothing brand but my experience with it was good and cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I was under the impression that a lot of the off-brand Chinese TV companies had really stepped up their game recently. I personally have a Vizio, but I know plenty of people who have random Chinese branded TVs that work just fine. I think now that 4K is becoming the standard in new TVs, 1080p TVs are becoming the new "anybody can make a solid TV," kind of like how brand name is irrelevant these days if you're looking for a basic 720 display.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

remigious posted:

Kia is for poors who want a brand new car instead of something slightly used but far more reliable. My friend's dad gave her 30k to buy a new car and she spent it all on a Kia sportage. Unbelievable.

MY DAUGHTER BE SAFE IN SUV

drunk asian neighbor posted:

I was under the impression that a lot of the off-brand Chinese TV companies had really stepped up their game recently. I personally have a Vizio, but I know plenty of people who have random Chinese branded TVs that work just fine. I think now that 4K is becoming the standard in new TVs, 1080p TVs are becoming the new "anybody can make a solid TV," kind of like how brand name is irrelevant these days if you're looking for a basic 720 display.

It seems Chinese manufacturers, like TCL, Seiki are the go-to for a basic tv if you don't want smart features, or smart features that aren't going to dramatically increase the cost of the item, like Android TV on Sony sets (that and sony sets are just pricey compared to the rest of the field)

Nonsense has a new favorite as of 16:30 on Mar 4, 2016

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Nonsense posted:

MY DAUGHTER BE SAFE IN SUV

It seems Chinese manufacturers, like TCL, Seiki are the go-to for a basic tv if you don't want smart features, or smart features that aren't going to dramatically increase the cost of the item, like Android TV on Sony sets (that and sony sets are just pricey compared to the rest of the field)

I have yet to find a TV where the "Smart" features aren't poo poo. I never use the Netflix/Hulu apps on my Vizio because they are slow and clunky and overally terrible. My parents have a high-end Samsung 4K 65" and they still use a Roku because the Netflix app on there is terrible too.

I really hope we get over Smart TVs. I would have thought the fact that Samsung literally tells you in their T&C that their TVs are always listening and transmitting would have been a pretty big nail in that coffin.

Vitalis Jackson
May 14, 2009

Sun and water are healthy for you -- but not for your hair!
Fun Shoe

1500quidporsche posted:

I dunno about what their cars now specifically are like but I generally won't buy a Korean car. A little part made by Bosch called an idle air valve broke on my VW Scirocco a while back. VW and Audi stopped using the part in 1990 and it was only used on a few models so it largely seemed like I was screwed, that was until a search using the Bosch parts number revealed that the exact same part was used by Hyundai/Kia starting in 1999.

Now the part in question is fairly generic and something you could use out of a parts bin. But I do question Hyundai's design process when a part wasn't used by any manufacturer for close to a decade, Hyundai had no real tie to Bosch at that point, and then that part suddenly appears on their cars. Seems a little too much like they went door knocking to find the cheapest price possible.

I believe Hyundai/Kia has made substantial changes in their business processes and model since those days. As anecdotal evidence, I bought a 2001 Hyundai Accent used in 2015 and drove it until just a couple of years ago. When I sold it, it had 315,000 miles on it and ran quite well. I did have to install a new transmission at around 190,000 miles, and I agree the component parts were quite light-duty and inexpensive--but it proved to be a durable vehicle. I might also add that I rarely saw another Accent of that year on the road, because it was a relatively new entrant into the U.S. market.

I current drive a 2012 Accent hatchback that gets from 37 to 41 mpg on the road, highway. It's great bang-for-the-buck at that price point.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Vitalis Jackson posted:

I believe Hyundai/Kia has made substantial changes in their business processes and model since those days. As anecdotal evidence, I bought a 2001 Hyundai Accent used in 2015 and drove it until just a couple of years ago. When I sold it, it had 315,000 miles on it and ran quite well. I did have to install a new transmission at around 190,000 miles, and I agree the component parts were quite light-duty and inexpensive--but it proved to be a durable vehicle. I might also add that I rarely saw another Accent of that year on the road, because it was a relatively new entrant into the U.S. market.

I current drive a 2012 Accent hatchback that gets from 37 to 41 mpg on the road, highway. It's great bang-for-the-buck at that price point.

Hyundais are cheap because they use old parts/technologies; I think they still use nearly the same i4 in their new accents that they have since 1994

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Roger Craig posted:

5 years ago they were but now consumer reports gives them pretty good reliably scores for the price

I know a maintenance manager for a Kia/Hyundai/Ford/Nissan dealer. He claims the Kias and Hyundais since 2013 have been loving terrible, A/C systems blow out every other year and the alternators and electrics can't seem to work for more than a year. But Elantras are supposedly the worst while the Forte isn't quiet as awful, even though they're essentially the same car

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

satanic splash-back posted:

Hyundais are cheap because they use old parts/technologies; I think they still use nearly the same i4 in their new accents that they have since 1994

They loving do, but people bought into the new exteriors and that the buttons/parts don't turn to grime and fall apart after 3 months in the American sun anymore.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Nonsense posted:

They loving do, but people bought into the new exteriors and that the buttons/parts don't turn to grime and fall apart after 3 months in the American sun anymore.

Plus that i4 is super solid and was the starting point for Mazda's SkyActiv according to rumor, which is in and of itself an amazingly well engineered and built engine

Navin Johnson
Mar 1, 2016

SquadronROE posted:

In Portland, Oregon, Henry F. Phillips patented his own invention, an improved version of a deep socket with a cruciform slot, today known as the Phillips Screw. Phillips offered his screw to the American Screw Company, and after a successful trial on the 1936 Cadillac, it quickly swept through the American auto industry. With the Industrial Revival at the end of the Great Depression and the onslaught of World War II, the Phillips screw quickly became, and remains, the most popular screw in the world. A main attraction for the screw was that conventional slotted screwdrivers could also be used on them, which was not possible with the Robertson Screw.

Uh...............cool. Thanks?

Navin Johnson
Mar 1, 2016

paco650 posted:

I have an all-white one that still has the post mount spotlights so I can freak people like you out. What are you gonna do about it?

N N N...Nothing sir. Would you like to see my license and registration? Please do not shoot me.

Navin Johnson has a new favorite as of 17:22 on Mar 4, 2016

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Booblord Zagats posted:

Plus that i4 is super solid and was the starting point for Mazda's SkyActiv according to rumor, which is in and of itself an amazingly well engineered and built engine

Mazda owns, but nobody seems to be buying them, has that turned around? I see them everywhere, but their sales numbers look small compared to the other Japanese autos.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Nonsense posted:

Mazda owns, but nobody seems to be buying them, has that turned around? I see them everywhere, but their sales numbers look small compared to the other Japanese autos.

Mazda makes more money developing engines and selling them to Ford, Fiat and Toyota these days than anything else. They've always been a racing company that somehow got tricked in to making production cars

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.

Navin Johnson posted:

Uh...............cool. Thanks?

No problem buddy, happy to help

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Nonsense posted:

Mazda is way overpriced in their market. But their car quality is really good but poor Americans don't care

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003
Mazda pricing seems fine here. Competetive with most brands in their segment. Honda is the odd one out that is way too expensive for what you get. Which is why Honda was the 28th best selling brand in 2015. Just above Alfa Romeo who had 2 models (both of them older than 5 years) in the showroom in 2015.
Mazda was 20th and sold 6 times as many cars as Honda.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
If Honda made the 2017 CRV exactly like the 2002 CRV except with modern safety features I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

ColoradoCleric
Dec 26, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
The rears of the new CRVs look like poo poo

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Mozi posted:

If Honda made the 2017 CRV exactly like the 2002 CRV except with modern safety features I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

Even the pre-2002 is a tank, I see it everywhere.

Navin Johnson
Mar 1, 2016

OK, time for an admission. I drive a 1990 Accord and the engine has 324,000 miles on it. The AC is freezing and I can cook meat with the heater. Looks like crap but it just keeps rolling. I cannot part ways with it. 90s Accords are EVRYWHERE in So Cal. Now those are tanks!

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Navin Johnson posted:

OK, time for an admission. I drive a 1990 Accord and the engine has 324,000 miles on it. The AC is freezing and I can cook meat with the heater. Looks like crap but it just keeps rolling. I cannot part ways with it. 90s Accords are EVRYWHERE in So Cal. Now those are tanks!

I liked the story how Redskins RB Alfred Morris kept his old Mazda sedan even after he signed with the team:
http://jalopnik.com/why-redskins-star-alfred-morris-dream-is-this-humble-1-1445704648

im cute
Sep 21, 2009

If Honda pulled a New Bug with CR-X, I bet it would sell gangbusters to hipsters and single moms like me.

EDIT: not the CR-Z

im cute has a new favorite as of 19:39 on Mar 4, 2016

Navin Johnson
Mar 1, 2016

That's a pretty sweet Mazda. I wish my Honda looked that good. If it aint broke, don't fix it!

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Duncan and Yomega haven't been so successful lately but the quality of their products is consistently good so things should spring back up any minute now

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Navin Johnson posted:

That's a pretty sweet Mazda. I wish my Honda looked that good. If it aint broke, don't fix it!

On his first day of training camp the team thought a janitor stole Alfred Morris parking spot because the car was in such bad shape.

Mazda did refurbish and overhaul the whole car for him free of charge.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

etalian posted:

On his first day of training camp the team thought a janitor stole Alfred Morris parking spot because the car was in such bad shape.

Mazda did refurbish and overhaul the whole car for him free of charge.

His mentality is great, and resonates with me - if I ever win the lottery, I'm not buying a new car, I'm buying and restoring a '92 Volvo 940 Turbo, because it's the only car I ever drove and it lasted for loving ever. I had to give it away because I couldn't afford to store it, but I'm pretty sure it's still on the road somewhere in Vermont. God I loved that car.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
All this car talk made me scared my 2011 Toyota Tacoma wasn't the sound choice I'd assumed when I got it for cheap. Turns out it's the truck of choice for middle eastern terrorists and dirt poor American farmers alike. Toyota, the diplomatic handshake of trucks.

I also own a Ford Fiesta and a Fiat so maybe I got lucky.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

fizzymercy posted:

All this car talk made me scared my 2011 Toyota Tacoma wasn't the sound choice I'd assumed when I got it for cheap. Turns out it's the truck of choice for middle eastern terrorists and dirt poor American farmers alike. Toyota, the diplomatic handshake of trucks.

the majority of the cars I've owned are Toyota. I've beat two of them to death ( an 84 Tercel 4 speed and an 86 Corolla wagon) and the engines would not quit.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
lol if you buy a brand new car

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

fizzymercy posted:

I'm pretty sure the military technicals are much older models (Chad won a war against Libyan tanks with Toyotas in 1987) and the new Toyotas are way less durable.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

steinrokkan posted:

I'm pretty sure the military technicals are much older models (Chad won a war against Libyan tanks with Toyotas in 1987) and the new Toyotas are way less durable.

huh

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011

steinrokkan posted:

Ahh goddamn. Well I'll just cancel next weekend's plans then.

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

By my hand, I will take you from this godforsaken internet

His mentality is great, and resonates with me - if I ever win the lottery, I'm not buying a new car, I'm buying and restoring a '92 Volvo 940 Turbo, because it's the only car I ever drove and it lasted for loving ever. I had to give it away because I couldn't afford to store it, but I'm pretty sure it's still on the road somewhere in Vermont. God I loved that car.

This but a '90 740 GL. Steel-colored steel with rubber bumpers, I got rear-ended by a garbage truck once and all it got was a little scratch in the back bumper. I only got rid of it because enough mechanical things died (blower motor, Freon, catalytic converter, transmission was on its way out) that at Volvo repair prices it would have cost more to fix it than it was actually worth, but externally that thing was loving indestructible

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

TheKennedys posted:

This but a '90 740 GL. Steel-colored steel with rubber bumpers, I got rear-ended by a garbage truck once and all it got was a little scratch in the back bumper. I only got rid of it because enough mechanical things died (blower motor, Freon, catalytic converter, transmission was on its way out) that at Volvo repair prices it would have cost more to fix it than it was actually worth, but externally that thing was loving indestructible

Yeah. Mine was the famous Volvo red, too. Leather seats, turbo engine, the works. I had one summer where everything broke in the span of a few months (blower, starter coil, plugs/cables, a few other things), but other than that it was rock-solid. Got it from my parents with 88k miles on it, gave it away with 243k. Thing was a beast and I always remember the looks on peoples' faces when they realized a car that big and boxy could loving move if I floored it.

You think internal parts were expensive, at least they were available. I got broken into via the passenger front window once, and was never able to open that window again after a repair. Apparently the window itself has some bracket pre-attached to the up/down electrical doodad, which is different from the '91 940, the 93' 940, and any other '92 model. As a result I ended up yanking one that was close out of a '92 740, just to keep the window closed, but the mechanism didn't fit right so I couldn't actually open or close it. Same with the electric side-view-mirrors; some rear end in a top hat smashed one of mine and I had to just put one of those magnifier mirrors over the crack since the mirror itself was non-removable from the whole assembly and I could never find the specific one I needed.

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

By my hand, I will take you from this godforsaken internet

Same with the electric side-view-mirrors; some rear end in a top hat smashed one of mine and I had to just put one of those magnifier mirrors over the crack since the mirror itself was non-removable from the whole assembly and I could never find the specific one I needed.

To this day I don't use my passenger side mirror because somehow the mirror bit on the one on my Volvo fell off one summer (stolen? melted off in Texas heat? who loving knows) and I could never find an actual replacement for it, so I just drove it for like six years with no passenger side mirror and got used to it

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro
Subaru and Volvo need to team up and build a tank

Yadoppsi
May 10, 2009

steinrokkan posted:

Its the Toyota Hilux that was made into technicals. Not only was it the favorite of African militias for decades, that's the brand that ISIS specifically seeks out for their VBIED's and technicals too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnWKz7Cthkk

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Yadoppsi posted:

Its the Toyota Hilux that was made into technicals. Not only was it the favorite of African militias for decades, that's the brand that ISIS specifically seeks out for their VBIED's and technicals too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnWKz7Cthkk

They're starting to really develop a brand loyalty to the Ford F-250-550 models because you can bolt a medium sized artillery piece to them and do the world's most hosed up drive bys with almost no effort

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I bought a piece of poo poo clunker '95 850 Turbo with ~200k miles on it for a grand, and drove it 100 miles from the dealer to my mechanic. Mechanic tells me it's got a broken engine mounting, a cracked engine casing that's leaking oil that's inundated the AC hoses (which are torn), brake disks worn to the bone, and a bad serpentine belt. He looks at me and asks how the gently caress I even got it down to him, which is funny because it drove just fine and the only thing I noticed as broken was the AC.

I've now had it for close to three years and after that first major repair have almost zero problems with it. The fuel economy is hilariously poo poo but goddamn are Volvo's tanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WescottF1
Oct 21, 2000
Forums Veteran

Nonsense posted:

My wife has had a 2003 Mazda 6 since new. It has a little body rust but hasn't needed any major repairs at all. Been a solid enough car that her mom's buying it from us for the KBB price.

We bought a new one 2 weeks ago and are loving it so far. The Skyactiv 4 cylinder is plenty powerful and way more fuel efficient than the Ford-blocked V6 the old one has.

Car and Driver just did a comparo on the 6, Accord, Camry, and a Chevy (can't remember if it's the Malibu or Impala). The 6 came in a solid first with America's favorite Camry dead last.