Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

dog nougat posted:

Finished my butterfly pig. All the paintings for my show on Friday are complete. :feelsgood:

It took me a while, but I feel pretty comfortable with acrylics now.

I really like your work. Show us some photos of the exhibit once it is hung!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

dog nougat posted:

Finished my butterfly pig. All the paintings for my show on Friday are complete. :feelsgood:

The shading on those ears is amazing and the colors in the wings are super vibrant. I love it!

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

dog nougat posted:

That's ridiculous and crazy in all the right ways.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
New painting, inks and food colouring, I've got a thing for green paintings they make me feel chill.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
As requested here's my art on display.

Didn't sell a single piece. I'm really bummed about it. Lotsa lip service though.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx
Sorry to hear you didn't sell stuff. Be patient, buyers are pretty scarce in a lot of areas. Keep showing your work and maybe make prints available as a low-cost alternative.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
Yeah, that seemed to be the consensus was that people wanted prints. Also the crowd was mostly young college students, so despite there being a large turnout there were only like 8 people whom I spoke with who were potential buyers.

I should probably setup an online store of some sort to try and sell my work. I know etsy is a thing, but not sure if it's the best fit. Suggestions?

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

dog nougat posted:

Yeah, that seemed to be the consensus was that people wanted prints. Also the crowd was mostly young college students, so despite there being a large turnout there were only like 8 people whom I spoke with who were potential buyers.

I should probably setup an online store of some sort to try and sell my work. I know etsy is a thing, but not sure if it's the best fit. Suggestions?

I've got an account on Etsy and in three years I've not had a bite at all, there's so much stuff on there it's almost impossible to get seen :[
I've had a page on facebook for around the same time (3 years) and I've sold about 5 times as much (family and friends mostly)

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
Good to know. I've advertised that my pieces are for sale on my Instagram. So that's a start I guess.

Galileo Fingers
Jun 28, 2008
Just finished my ink drawing of Kylo Ren. Some of the highlights were added in photoshop, but its like 99% traditional, so I hope this is the place for it.

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

^^^ that's pretty rad!

Another study, this time with an underpainting. I plan to go over the apples with a gloss glaze after it dries.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
Well, I spoke with several folks at some galleries yesterday, seems promising. I need to work on having a more cohesive body of work, but that'll happen relatively soon. I've got a lot of creative momentum right now so full steam ahead I say.

Did a value study for hotdog beards as part of an upcoming series I'm going to be doing revolving around hotdog flight through time. This fella needs some more drool, though to be sure. It's either Icarus hotdog or Renaissance hotdog.

I should've pushed my values a bit, but I'm super happy with how it turned out.

Zoben
Oct 3, 2001

dog nougat posted:

Good to know. I've advertised that my pieces are for sale on my Instagram. So that's a start I guess.

Storenvy is like Etsy except it's free. I haven't sold much on there but you can hook it up to your Facebook page.

Tagging on Instagram is the best way to spread your work around -- most of the big art pages will only feature boring super-realistic drawings that are essentially 1-to-1 copies of photographs. Many of them are just huge collections of "realistic eye drawings." A lot of those pages sell features though, so for like $3-5 you can reach an audience of thousands to sometimes millions. You can also buy a targeted ad campaign on Facebook for your art page and you'll get more likes. It'd be nice to just be able to propagate your brand through word of mouth but the market is so saturated with art that sometimes you need a boost with advertising.

I'd recommend epingo.com for prints, at least for large-scale. I've gotten lots of 20"x20" matte prints from them that turned out great.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
Cool thanks! I don't really get the obsession with photorealistic poo poo, like you said it's crazy boring and doesn't push any boundaries. Maybe I should do "photorealistic" renderings of my wacky-rear end anthropomorphic characters. I totally should actually, that'd be cool as gently caress. I definitely need to get my rear end on the Photoshop train though before I send any images off to get prints made.

Also on the subject of Instagram, I'm still relatively new at it with my art, what are good tags or pages for getting my art displayed to the drooling masses?

Edit: looks like I'll also have to create a Facebook page for my art.

Zoben
Oct 3, 2001
I do the basics and spread the tags around to get as much attention as possible. You can do thirty tags total in a post.

Basics: #art #drawing #illustration #comics #comicbook #surreal #painting #abstract (these depend on your genre)

Specific tags, I switch them up a lot (I'm not affiliated with any of these): #arts_help #art_collective #art_prime #artworld #art_spotlight #artsupporting #artspipl #drawsofinsta #artsanity #artdiscover #talnts #dailyart

Sometimes I throw in a completely unrelated tag so it'll get out to a totally different audience; I tagged the weird comic below with #fitness and a bunch of fitness accounts started following me, haha.

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

Selling art is loving hard. I do it for my real job and still don't know how to sell my own personal stuff. Social media is good, but what has served me well is being at local art fairs and being there year after year. People do remember you and then they buy for some reason.

Also I bought an Epson R2000 printer and my prints outsell my originals by approximately one million percent. I resisted the Idea of prints at first, but honestly if you are up front with your buyers they mostly want to have the image and don't care if its original or limited edition or what.

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
:madmax:
I used to always do pen drawings during lectures back when I was in undergrad and I kinda forgot about it as a medium until I found an old book full of my drawings a week ago. So after a several year hiatus I did this drawing over the past two days. I quite like how it looks and I think I'll do these semi-regularly from now on.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx
That's amazing. Wow, you got a HUGE value range in there! Very very impressive.

Saddamnit
Jul 5, 2003

I have brained my damage.
Vlad - That is awesome. I love the gradients you were able to achieve.

Just finished this one. Acrylic on 40" x 30" canvas.

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
Thanks guys. The feedback I got for that from various quarters was better than I expected so I might keep up the pen drawings. I don't really know how I'd exhibit them though. I could frame them, even though they're quite small or maybe print hi-res scans of them onto canvas or or something. That'd get expensive if I didn't sell any though

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Goddamn Vladimir, that pen piece is amazing.
Here's my first painting since ramblin' back down to ol' methed-out Florida.

I don't know if I need to add anything more, I'm thinking it might work as part of a floating panel in front of a larger section.
EDIT: Excuse the crap cellphone pic, the colors are more intense in person. There's even some red and blue in the lower right corner, I swear!
PS: It's water-based oils on stretched canvass fyi.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Strictly amateur world here - a little doodle I did for my mum.

Chooks in space

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Saddamnit posted:

Vlad - That is awesome. I love the gradients you were able to achieve.

Just finished this one. Acrylic on 40" x 30" canvas.

I love the background!

GentlemanBrofro
Mar 9, 2011

by Lowtax
I'm still a young artist who doesn't fully understand himself right now but recently I've been running into the problem of moving between different works and never quite finishing all of them but also learning that I need to improve on different fronts in order to finish them. My question is this: Are there strategies any of you guys use when you're working on artwork in terms of actually finishing them in a timely fashion? Or is this a problem of not being disciplined enough to keep all attention onto one work until you finish it?

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

GentlemanBrofro posted:

I'm still a young artist who doesn't fully understand himself right now but recently I've been running into the problem of moving between different works and never quite finishing all of them but also learning that I need to improve on different fronts in order to finish them. My question is this: Are there strategies any of you guys use when you're working on artwork in terms of actually finishing them in a timely fashion? Or is this a problem of not being disciplined enough to keep all attention onto one work until you finish it?

You won't improve on those different fronts if you don't finish them. I don't always finish everything, because not everything is worth finishing, but I learn a lot more from the works that I do finish. Just finish it and move on to enjoying all you've learned for the next work to be even better.

Status Epilepticus
Feb 22, 2009
Trying to get better at gouache. It's an incredibly frustrating and fun medium.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

the mirror would do well to reflect further

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
Painting the refrigerator at my friend's weird-rear end house/apartment. Turning it into a food-themed sorta dyptich/altarpiece. Got some solid work done on the top portion today. Still missing something in the bottom corners and top center. Then the bottom is basically a mystery. I have a concept of the focal point, but not much else.

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

dog nougat posted:

Painting the refrigerator at my friend's weird-rear end house/apartment. Turning it into a food-themed sorta dyptich/altarpiece. Got some solid work done on the top portion today. Still missing something in the bottom corners and top center. Then the bottom is basically a mystery. I have a concept of the focal point, but not much else.

those two spaces look way too much like eyes and a brow for you not to exploit that

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

Kanine posted:

those two spaces look way too much like eyes and a brow for you not to exploit that

Good call. I should make a mouth or some poo poo where there are dying foodstuffs being eaten.

I still really wanna use these nautiloid cheeseburger crab things though

maybe I can have them flying around in the mouth or something weird. The difficult part is that I still want to retain the altarpiece/grotesque sort of form. Anthropomorphicizing it might be a tad difficult. I'm sure I can figure something out though.

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Status Epilepticus
Feb 22, 2009

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

Is this gauche again? I love it.

Status Epilepticus
Feb 22, 2009

HungryMedusa posted:

Is this gauche again? I love it.

Yep! Thanks. Shiny things are fun to paint.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

I'm not even close to started with this, I just felt like I had to draw something this morning, gonna fill in the blanks later.

Carotid
Dec 18, 2008

We're all doing it
More improvised watercolor painting:

This is my biggest improvised piece yet, at 11" x 15". The reindeer skull one I posted earlier is in a small watercolor book I made, which is about 7.5" x 9.5" when open. This one was particularly fun since I had enough space to use a big fluffy 1" oval wash brush for the paint. The ink is a Pentel brush pen, a water brush pen filled with sumi ink for large areas, and a Pitt pen for details. Pretty happy with this one.

Carotid fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Apr 6, 2016

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Carotid posted:

More improvised watercolor painting:

This is my biggest improvised piece yet, at 11" x 15". The reindeer skull one I posted earlier is in a small watercolor book I made, which is about 7.5" x 9.5" when open. This one was particularly fun since I had enough space to use a big fluffy 1" oval wash brush for the paint. The ink is a Pentel brush pen, a water brush pen filled with sumi ink for large areas, and a Pitt pen for details. Pretty happy with this one.

This is really nice, good job.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
Finished my fridge dyptich.

Close up view of the guts

Overall view of the entire fridge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

noice ^^^