Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
PaletteSwappedNinja mentioned about "Chasing Dead" - the eShop only game. Apparently it's out on PC already, and... well, it's quality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Cartoon Man posted:

Im at work and can't check the eshop, but how much is the new Zelda digitally? Amazon is selling codes for $50.

I think that $59.99 was said, I believe, but Amazon has the physical version with the Amiibo for $47.99 + tax if you have Prime (so you would also get free two-day shipping). I'm not getting this game because I bought the GameCube version less than a year ago and I don't see enough of a reason to bother, but it's a relatively good deal. However, Amazon is doing the same thing with physical copies of Star Fox Zero, and I think that I'm going to jump on that one.

MisterAlex
Dec 4, 2004

For Blood, Comic Mischief, Mature Humor, Nudity, Strong Language, Suggestive Themes, Use of Alcohol, and Intense Violence.

Online Interactions Not Rated.

Cartoon Man posted:

Im at work and can't check the eshop, but how much is the new Zelda digitally? Amazon is selling codes for $50.

It's $49.99 in the eShop.

Unless you're specifically averse to the disc version, you could probably grab the amiibo bundle for $48 with Amazon Prime or Best Buy GCU and then sell or gift the figure if you don't want it. The amiibo comes in its own box within the bundle box.

Edit: I misspoke, sorry. I was looking at the bundle price in the eShop. Clicking the Buy Digital button brings up a page that wants to charge me $49.99. Edited above, too. Also, download size is listed as 4.7GB.

MisterAlex fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Mar 4, 2016

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

Rexroom posted:

PaletteSwappedNinja mentioned about "Chasing Dead" - the eShop only game. Apparently it's out on PC already, and... well, it's quality.

Yeah, but did you see the actresses' breasts?

The player's starting to notice the helicopter somersaulting through the air, Luna. Lean over that chair a little more.

Suspicious Cook fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Mar 4, 2016

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

It's okay but the Wii U doesn't have a ton of old JRPGs and the 3DS probably won't either.

Yeah, I was assuming Wii VC stuff would work on the GamePad but apparently not.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Lazyhound posted:

Yeah, I was assuming Wii VC stuff would work on the GamePad but apparently not.

Yeah, the Wii U basically goes into "Wii Mode" where it thinks it's a Wii and that's how you access the Wii VC. Where your in the Wii mode it doesn't recognize the gamepad or any Wii U controllers, you need to have a Wiimote.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

JustJeff88 posted:

Sorry, those were just Ambassador games, but it still tells me that GBA is possible... maybe. I kind of hope that they never do have good GBA emulation with fun titles on the New 3DS, because I would probably buy one for no good reason.

This is pretty much :filez: talk but injecting different roms into the GBA ambassador VC games does work pretty well (or at least mother 3 with the translation patch looks like it runs okay from what I've seen posted around) when you go the custom firmware route and all that fun stuff. Not really an option if you're already on the latest system menu though since you can't downgrade anymore and downgrading in the first place could brick your 3ds if you don't do it right.

edit: Basically I don't see any reason why they couldn't start selling GBA VC games since they do work.

MagusDraco fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Mar 4, 2016

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Because they aren't working with all the Virtual Console bells and whistles that Nintendo wants. The ambassador games are basically running on legacy GBA emulation through the legacy DS hardware in the device. You're two levels deep into software and you don't get save states, access to the system menu, or even proper sleep mode.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

jivjov posted:

Because they aren't working with all the Virtual Console bells and whistles that Nintendo wants. The ambassador games are basically running on legacy GBA emulation through the legacy DS hardware in the device. You're two levels deep into software and you don't get save states, access to the system menu, or even proper sleep mode.

But couldn't they get them working in an actual emulator on the New 3DS now, just like they did with the SNES? Just because the Ambassador games used that weird workaround doesn't mean they are beholden to it forever, especially now that there's somewhat more powerful hardware.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

less laughter posted:

But couldn't they get them working in an actual emulator on the New 3DS now, just like they did with the SNES? Just because the Ambassador games used that weird workaround doesn't mean they are beholden to it forever, especially now that there's somewhat more powerful hardware.

It's certainly possible, and hopefully something that will come at some point.

I was specifically responding to the idea of "other roms can be run through the ambassador setup", rather than shooting down the entire idea of GBA-on-3DS.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I'm pretty sure GBA is easier to emulate than SNES so they could definitely do that on N3DS.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

SeANMcBAY posted:

I'm pretty sure GBA is easier to emulate than SNES so they could definitely do that on N3DS.

You might well be right, since there are some GBA games they've managed to emulate on the home console (such as Super Mario Advance 3) where they haven't been able to emulate the SNES equivalent (Super Mario World 2, in this case).

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

less laughter posted:

You might well be right, since there are some GBA games they've managed to emulate on the home console (such as Super Mario Advance 3) where they haven't been able to emulate the SNES equivalent (Super Mario World 2, in this case).

I think that's also because Nintendo apparently can't emulate games that used the FX chip due to licensing or something.

I'm so sad they never did that 3D Classics Yoshi's Island they showed off before the 3DS launch. I'm playing the Kirby's Adventure one and they really should have done it for more games.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Another JP Nintendo Account promo I missed yesterday: people with Nintendo Accounts can claim coupons to get select 3DS SFC/FC VC games for half price until March 16: https://topics.nintendo.co.jp/c/article/616a911c-dc26-11e5-b324-063b7ac45a6d.html?_ga=1.10801392.533730749.1457134952

SFC:
Super Mario World
Donkey Kong Country
F-Zero
LTTP
Earthbound

FC:
SMB
SMB2 (Lost Levels)
SMB USA
SMB3
Zelda
Zelda 2
Metroid
Punch-Out
Donkey Kong
Donkey Kong Jr.
Donkey Kong 3
Fire Emblem
Fire Emblem Gaiden
Ice Climber
Balloon Fight
Wrecking Crew
Mario Open Golf
Wario's Woods
Yoshi's Egg
Devil World
Mach Rider
Clu Clu Land
Famicom Wars
Famicom Tantei Club part 1
Famicom Tantei Club part 2
Nazo no Murasamejou
Shin Onigashima
Joy Mecha Fight

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I love how everyone gets promos on the new SNES VC except NoA. They really need to get some new management over here, especially how it takes half a year to get games EU gets.

wocobob
Jan 7, 2014

damages enemies w/ corn
If I have only ten dollars to spare, and want to grab a good meaty 3DS RPG this month, which would be a better option: picking up Etrian Odyssey 4 while it's on sale, or waiting a couple weeks to pick up Earthbound when it releases? For the record, I'm into the start of the second stratum in EO1, and I've really enjoyed what I've played, but I also loved Mother 3. Obvious answer is "both," I know, but what's the recommendation?

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

wocobob posted:

If I have only ten dollars to spare, and want to grab a good meaty 3DS RPG this month, which would be a better option: picking up Etrian Odyssey 4 while it's on sale, or waiting a couple weeks to pick up Earthbound when it releases? For the record, I'm into the start of the second stratum in EO1, and I've really enjoyed what I've played, but I also loved Mother 3. Obvious answer is "both," I know, but what's the recommendation?

For what it's worth, EO4 is much, much improved over EO1 and is considered to be one of the best and the best one for new players to start with. If you're playing janky old original EO and enjoying it somehow then the choice is pretty clear in favour of EO4 tbh.

(If you're actually talking about the remake Etrian Odyssey Untold then just play that and wait for Earthbound)

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

wocobob posted:

I just finished playing Earthbound for the first time this past weekend (on the Wii U VC, mostly playing through the gamepad's screen rather than forcing poor Earthbound onto an HDTV). I'll talk a bit about my thoughts about it.

1. Earthbound is not a short game. Prepare for at least a 25 hour game. Earthbound at some points did begin to feel like it was wearing out its welcome.
2. Earthbound, while not insanely difficult, is not a pushover. Its unique combat style takes a bit of getting used to.
3. Even now, there are very few games like Earthbound, though obviously that's changing in the last year.
4. Earthbound's flaws (repetitive, confusing, occasionally dragging) are more than matched by the game's sheer charm and personality. Earthbound gets a massive bonus for me just by being so willing to just be itself.
5. While nothing compared to true old-school RPGs, the encounter rate is still on the high side, and even though it's Chrono Trigger style with the baddies on the overworld map, if they want to fight you, they're going to fight you.

Earthbound clearly took the SNES to its technical limits at certain points and you'll see things in Earthbound you wouldn't see in any other SNES game. The world feels truly alive and interconnected in a way that maybe only Chrono Trigger can match from that era.

The game left me satisfied but with minimal desire for more. I wish Nintendo had, instead of releasing Earthbound Beginnings as an NES game, released the GBA Mother 1 and 2 pack which allegedly updates Mother 1 and makes it vaguely playable. I've only heard horror stories about Earthbound Beginnings' sheer tedium and difficulty, but I'd love to experience it. Maybe it's time to look up a Let's Play, the usual solution for games I want to experience without actually playing.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

One of the good things about Earthbound's enemies on the map is that once you've out levelled them you'll instant kill them without even a fight, something that should be in every RPG

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
The tweaks made to Mother GBA are all things that were carried over from the unreleased US version of Mother - in other words, Earthbound Beginnings and Mother GBA are pretty much identical.

There were further tweaks added to the game by fan translators but you shouldn't expect them from an official release, obviously.

Mother 2 GBA is not a good port - it's buggy and the music takes a huge hit.

wocobob
Jan 7, 2014

damages enemies w/ corn

Sakurazuka posted:

One of the good things about Earthbound's enemies on the map is that once you've out levelled them you'll instant kill them without even a fight, something that should be in every RPG

Yeah, that was one of my favorite parts of Mother 3. Glad to hear it was still in Earthbound.

For the record, it was EO1 DS that I played, although I didn't have to get into the mechanics very much, since I didn't get too far. My experience basically consisted of killing the poo poo out of Fenrir with fire magic, having a great time, then getting murdered by weird status effect worms in floor 6 and giving up. I've been meaning to go back to it, but the effort that it seems like I'd have to put into minmaxing to make sure I don't gently caress myself on builds was a little much to overcome. Is it true that 4 tones that down?

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

wocobob posted:

Yeah, that was one of my favorite parts of Mother 3. Glad to hear it was still in Earthbound.

For the record, it was EO1 DS that I played, although I didn't have to get into the mechanics very much, since I didn't get too far. My experience basically consisted of killing the poo poo out of Fenrir with fire magic, having a great time, then getting murdered by weird status effect worms in floor 6 and giving up. I've been meaning to go back to it, but the effort that it seems like I'd have to put into minmaxing to make sure I don't gently caress myself on builds was a little much to overcome. Is it true that 4 tones that down?

If you don't double-up on any classes, you can make a party out of any 5 of the starting classes in 4 and have it be workable. If you screw up your skill allocation (it's hard to do this though) there's also a much less penalty for respeccing (it's only 2 levels instead of fuckin' 10 levels). The game is still pretty hard by RPG standards and you have to think and use skills carefully every fight but it's not ball-breakingly unfair like the original game was.

Etrian Odyssey Untold is a very enhanced remake of the first game with all of the improvements 4 has plus more so you can also consider that since it's on sale on the e-shop often.

hamburgers in pockets
Jun 18, 2005

Yeah, that's blood. It'll get better before the show.
I picked up Rayman Legends yesterday and noticed that there's something in there about unlocking stuff from Rayman Origins. Is it just selected levels from the first game? And if so is it still worth picking up Origins?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

hamburgers in pockets posted:

I picked up Rayman Legends yesterday and noticed that there's something in there about unlocking stuff from Rayman Origins. Is it just selected levels from the first game? And if so is it still worth picking up Origins?

It's pretty much every level. I don't think you'll need Origins too.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!
I think it is every level. Even if a couple are missing, Rayman Legends is way better than Origins and Origins was already really good.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013

Sakurazuka posted:

Bizarrely one of the only other RPGs I can think of that has this is Conception. It was a strangely out of place bit of good game design among what was otherwise a very bad game.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Mutant Mudds Super Challenge is finally done - it's coming to both Wii U and 3DS and will be out in both regions for $9.99 / €9.99 / £8.99; it'll have cross-buy and they're also doing a 15% launch discount for people who own the first game or downloaded the nindies@home demo on Wii U.

It's more of a Lost Levels-style release than a sequel - new, harder levels, indie character cameos, a few other features that should have been present in the first game (boss fights), etc.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
Based on what I've just read, I think that I might bet a tenner on EO4. I actually have 1-3 on DS cart that I purchased together for a very good price, but 1 turned me off pretty quickly. If 4 is an enhanced remake, it might not be as impenetrable.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

4 is an entirely different game, Untold is the remake of 1
That said 4 is a lot more user friendly than the first game, still hard though.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Sakurazuka posted:

4 is an entirely different game, Untold is the remake of 1
That said 4 is a lot more user friendly than the first game, still hard though.

Yes, I got the two criss-crossed. Still, perhaps it's worth a go for $10. Perhaps my overall mistake was starting with 1; for all I know, 2 and 3 are much better.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

JustJeff88 posted:

Yes, I got the two criss-crossed. Still, perhaps it's worth a go for $10. Perhaps my overall mistake was starting with 1; for all I know, 2 and 3 are much better.

Wellllll 3 is

Honestly start with the 3DS games first, and then if you want more go back to 3.

There's really no reason to play 1 and 2 now that they've been remade and improved. The original two were pretty wonky and not very well balanced.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Original 1 and 2 aren't great nowadays with the series seeing so many improvements and with remakes of both existing. 3 is a contender for best in the series along with 4 though.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
etrian odyssey 4 is reaaaaaaaally good in my earnest opinion

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

wocobob posted:

E

O

Fo'

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
My usual MO is to buy VC/old/"low-tech" games digitally but more modern things on physical media since they eat up so much space. Does anyone know how many blocks EA4 takes up? I'm not sure how to check without buying the game.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
EO4? 5718 blocks.

EO1 and 2 are good games, but yeah, the Untolds kind of give little reason to play them with how many QOL improvements they've made.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
That's like 700MB by the way.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Here's a new trailer for Two Tribes' RIVE, which will be playable at GDC:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oUxrd1z0Gpc

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Nintendo accidentally let slip of an upcoming eShop game - My Nintendo Picross - The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess, which will be available from March 31, presumably as a platinum reward from the new My Nintendo service.

PaletteSwappedNinja fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Mar 6, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Nintendo accidentally let slip of an upcoming eShop game - My Nintendo Picross - The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess, which will be available from March 31, presumably as a platinum reward from the new My Nintendo service.

These images aren't working for me, are they really doing Zelda Picross