Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Empress Theonora posted:

Agree x 15 / Respectfully Disagree x 3

Paradox should really fix their loving community.

what's the problem? would you feel the same way if they were talking about christians, scientologists, buddhists, mormons, or all religions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Drink Cheerwine posted:

what's the problem? would you feel the same way if they were talking about christians, scientologists, buddhists, mormons, or all religions?

Yes no yes yes no

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Drink Cheerwine posted:

Removing just one religion doesn't go far enough :ussr:

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.
Thread seems to have been deleted, what was it about?

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

AdjectiveNoun posted:

Thread seems to have been deleted, what was it about?

Guy calling out the rest of the pdox forums out for bring horrible bigots, bigots saying there not bigots because Muslims don't count as proper people.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
hmm yes that seems the appropriate reaction and not banning the gross bigots who responded

although i guess they could have been banned too, i'm not about to go look into the depths of paradoxplaza myself to find out

they don't do honeypot threads though do they

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
It's still a bait thread, either way.

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Tollymain posted:

hmm yes that seems the appropriate reaction and not banning the gross bigots who responded

although i guess they could have been banned too, i'm not about to go look into the depths of paradoxplaza myself to find out

they don't do honeypot threads though do they

Paradox should ban all posters in a randomly selected thread every day at midnight.

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Rumda posted:

Yes no yes yes no

Dibujante posted:

Removing just one religion doesn't go far enough :ussr:

m-mods???? ban this sick filth!!!!

:commissar:

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Didn't see the thread before it was deleted, but I did see I had a forum notification.

It was a guy posting a reply to an EU3 AAR, last updated in 2011. The Audacity of Hope was a crazy game, but still. :psyduck:

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

That was an awesome AAR and someone needs to do one of a Choctaw world conquest or something.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

No Manchukuo? But how am I supposed to lead the Qing restoration then? :(

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

Ofaloaf posted:

No Manchukuo? But how am I supposed to lead the Qing restoration then? :(

I believe they mentioned somewhere that just making Manchukuo directly controlled by Japan led to the Japan AI behaving much more rationally, or something.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Empress Theonora posted:

I believe they mentioned somewhere that just making Manchukuo directly controlled by Japan led to the Japan AI behaving much more rationally, or something.

The cancelling of my preorder cancellation has been cancelled.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Empress Theonora posted:

This is the same Japanese AI that had to be basically broken to make it think attacking the US was a good idea.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Kavak posted:

This is the same Japanese AI that had to be basically broken to make it think attacking the US was a good idea.
Art mimmicks reality or whatever.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Alikchi posted:

That was an awesome AAR and someone needs to do one of a Choctaw world conquest or something.

It wouldn't be the same. Paradox has buffed north american natives so much since then... my verisimilitude! :negative:

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Germany has a "Befriend Japan" vs. "Befriend China" decision in their national focus tree though, meaning Germany can already seemingly override Japan. I don't see a reason why China and Japan couldn't both have the option to suck up to Germany, and then have it be up to Germany what it will do. I mean, they have requirements, so China's could be one that basically means Japan clearly isn't going to have much if any luck in China anyway.

What possible advantage would a German player have in supporting Japan instead of China.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Mans posted:

What possible advantage would a German player have in supporting Japan instead of China.

Historicity

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Mans posted:

A navy?

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Mans posted:

Well. It would be safe to assume that the US is going to get involved at some point or another unless they go down a divergence war plan path and it's not like China is going to really gently caress with the west coast . . .

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

Gamerofthegame posted:

Well. It would be safe to assume that the US is going to get involved at some point or another unless they go down a divergence war plan path and it's not like China is going to really gently caress with the west coast . . .

Plus even without the US Japan is in a position to gently caress with the colonial possessions of Britain, France, the Netherlands, et al.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Alikchi posted:

It was, and was one of the reasons I ended up modding the poo poo out of eu3, especially adding a bunch of new tags into the New World.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Also a country that's not involved in a huge civil war and might actually be able to provide some meaningful help against the USSR.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
Hitler was a huge weeaboo. There, the secret is out.

I'm sure it had nothing to do with them seeing a willing ally who was also screwed over in the close of the First World War who would willingly gently caress with the colonial holdings of other European powers to get back what they believed they had been robbed of, forcing Germany's enemies to split their forces and choose what they wanted to defend more.

Bel Monte
Oct 9, 2012
As a player, would there be a reason not to ally China?

I have to imagine China is really hampered and vaguely useless early on. There's gotta be balancing there. If, by the time, you've nearly won the war, China would finally be useful for example. So Japan is a short term ally, China is the cleanup/long term ally.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Bel Monte posted:

I have to imagine China is really hampered and vaguely useless early on. There's gotta be balancing there. If, by the time, you've nearly won the war, China would finally be useful for example. So Japan is a short term ally, China is the cleanup/long term ally.

Well, the problem is that the USSR is the end boss for Germany. If you beat the USSR there's nobody in Asia, Africa or Europe (excepting the British isles) who can stop you conquering them, so you end up in a cold war with the USA and UK - you can't attack them because of their overwhelming naval superiority, they can't attack you because of your overwhelming land superiority. It becomes "who can get a nuke first" at that point.

On the other hand, if you don't beat the USSR, it's curtains for you. So you pick the ally who can help you most against the USSR in the timeframe in which you intend to attack them. And that's Japan.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Bel Monte posted:

China cannot project naval power and is going to be in a slogfest against Japan for the length of the war most likely, so it would be as good as Japan except without the ability to harass the Allies..

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

YF-23 posted:

China cannot project naval power and is going to be in a slogfest against Japan for the length of the war most likely, so it would be as good as Japan except without the ability to harass the Allies..

i'm speaking of my experience on HoI2. China had so much manpower that they could drown the world in militias and still come out on top. If i could ally China i'd use their infinite milita to swarm Siberia and gently caress, there were so many militias i think i could've made a human bridge straight to alaska.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
To tide people over until HoI is done:
http://store.steampowered.com/app/379980

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Darkrenown posted:

i'm in love

Morholt
Mar 18, 2006

Contrary to popular belief, tic-tac-toe isn't purely a game of chance.
Good to see the "give it a good tumble" option will appear in HOI4.

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

I'm going to buy this and replace all the girl art with actual tank photos and then I can finally achieve true orgasm

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

A night or two ago I got distracted thinking about how much I don't like Tech trees in strategy games (or maybe exhausted with them is a better term?) and started brainstorming a new idea. My idea involved technology as "cards" and some randomness in what comes up and I just read the Stellaris dev diary on technology and I'm very pleased with myself for coming up with a fairly similar idea.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Slime Bro Helpdesk posted:

A night or two ago I got distracted thinking about how much I don't like Tech trees in strategy games (or maybe exhausted with them is a better term?) and started brainstorming a new idea. My idea involved technology as "cards" and some randomness in what comes up and I just read the Stellaris dev diary on technology and I'm very pleased with myself for coming up with a fairly similar idea.

Is it possible that you read that dev diary while drunk, had a dream about it and now that you're sober you can't remember your initial reading?

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Mans posted:

Is it possible that you read that dev diary while drunk, had a dream about it and now that you're sober you can't remember your initial reading?

I mean it's possible? But I don't drink all that much and don't really remember reading that diary very thoroughly at all. I only looked at it this morning because someone mentioned "tech cards" a page or two ago and I was like 'huh I wonder..."

Also my idea is slightly different and IS TOTALLY ORIGINAL DO NOT STEAL.

edit- basically the thing I added in addition to slight randomness in what techs came up next was a bidding system between the players to buy the newest tech and keep it exclusive to them for a certain amount of time. After a while the tech becomes "common" and anyone can buy it, but for a certain period only one civilization/empire/etc has that technology and can use it to their advantage. So in a space game this could mean you have the most advanced engine technology for a while, or you're the only empire with cloaking tech or so on...

Fidel Cuckstro fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Mar 5, 2016

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Slime Bro Helpdesk posted:

I mean it's possible? But I don't drink all that much and don't really remember reading that diary very thoroughly at all. I only looked at it this morning because someone mentioned "tech cards" a page or two ago and I was like 'huh I wonder..."

Also my idea is slightly different and IS TOTALLY ORIGINAL DO NOT STEAL.

edit- basically the thing I added in addition to slight randomness in what techs came up next was a bidding system between the players to buy the newest tech and keep it exclusive to them for a certain amount of time. After a while the tech becomes "common" and anyone can buy it, but for a certain period only one civilization/empire/etc has that technology and can use it to their advantage. So in a space game this could mean you have the most advanced engine technology for a while, or you're the only empire with cloaking tech or so on...

A lot of board games with that kind of theme go with that approach because tech trees really aren't practical in that format.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Darkrenown posted:

Now we are all sons of bitches.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I'm watching Arumba's Doge of the Hill let's play, and cramming as many players as you can into Venice as patricians sounds like an excellent and entertaining time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Stellaris card system is almost moo tech system. Randomized "deck" of techs within a few levels of each other. In moo it wouldn't re-shuffle after every research, and there were a lot more fields.
I grabbed moo on GOG and got back into it. It's shockingly holds up well and is deep as hell and hard to master. I used to always think moo2 was better but it's really not, core gameplay wise.

I love moo's planet management, it's simple but represents things well. There's no special buildings, everything's just tech based. You research better factories, your factories get cheaper. You research better robotics, more factories per pop can be run. You don't have to build individual buildings, it doesn't try to be a Civ city management screen. The Moo remake takes the moo2 system and makes it even worse. They put all the buildings on a spinning 3d globe instead of a list and the only way to see what you've built is by spinning the globe while mousing over the buildings, it's insanely bad.

I'm interested to see if stellaris' tile system works out better.