Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Ciaphas posted:

I can't say I find myself interested in dealing with combat in this game at all, automated or otherwise :shrug:

I haven't taken the time to do mods, but I could get onboard with the Total Annihilation style guns. One big cannon that kills biters on the other side of the globe. My only involvement is maintaining the production chain,
I'd want some way to automate the artifact pickup though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stick Insect
Oct 24, 2010

My enemies are many.

My equals are none.
I've updated the OP now that the game is on Steam.

Lemme know if there is anything obvious missing from the OP, or blatantly wrong.

I need to take some new screenshots, that much is obvious. They still show the old astronaut suit and other placeholder graphics.

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

Building walls, turrets and gates give me that sweet sweet C&C vibe

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat
Since there are some of us doing Negative Roots play through, here's my factory as of today's 'getting frightened and not achieving much' episode. I'm keeping it restricted to how far along his build is but I put a bunch of 'helper' builds up because why hand craft. I've got a box with a bunch of oil gear ready for the next installment and I could probably remove the ammo production chunk now since I've killed all nests round me. I won't need 1400 rounds of AP before we get lasers going.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."
I've been thinking about the loaders a bit more, and I like them as a late game alternative/enhancement to bots. If they're expensive enough, you're unlikely to use them in place of inserters, so their primary use is to quickly load chests and trains. They seem perfect as a way to store output in a chest or at the end of a bus so that bots can get a convenient source of material near where they're doing work. It'd also be really pretty to see streams of ore pour into a train all at once as it stops, and streams of ore to pour out of it at the other end.

Ultimately, I don't see them replacing inserters except at the highest throughput areas, which means there's only a handful of places where they'd see a lot of use. The main aesthetic of robotic arms flailing around would still be preserved, which is the really important part.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Plus the graphics department is usually on point so it could be some super complicated flailing monstrosity looking thing.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Stick Insect posted:

I've updated the OP now that the game is on Steam.

Lemme know if there is anything obvious missing from the OP, or blatantly wrong.

I need to take some new screenshots, that much is obvious. They still show the old astronaut suit and other placeholder graphics.

This should go in the "Things to read and reference materials" section: http://guide.factorio.com/

In the "Tips and Tricks" section, the bit about belt corners being slow is no longer true as far as I know.

Stick Insect
Oct 24, 2010

My enemies are many.

My equals are none.
That guide is excellent! Thanks!

Kinetica
Aug 16, 2011

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I haven't taken the time to do mods, but I could get onboard with the Total Annihilation style guns. One big cannon that kills biters on the other side of the globe. My only involvement is maintaining the production chain,
I'd want some way to automate the artifact pickup though.

I'm still holding out for ICBMs personally.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Kinetica posted:

I'm still holding out for ICBMs personally.

Supreme warfare added guns that can shoot chunks away... but you have to drop a 'beacon' that they target and it has a range of 20... :negative:

There's a GDI Ion cannon mod which is supposed to give orbital bombardment but I've not tried it.

I added some train part automation to my Negative Root save, a stone smelter with wall factory (somewhat over the top) and consolidated wheel production into the buss. I was getting sick of adding gear assemblies.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat
I was wondering what the hardest set of initial conditions would be. So I fiddled a bit and discovered that it's impossible to do anything in a fair number of cases. Most extreme was very small starting area and all the biter stuff at maximum. You start surrounded on all sides by a wall of alien flesh. This is what the map looks like

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Ratzap posted:

Supreme warfare added guns that can shoot chunks away... but you have to drop a 'beacon' that they target and it has a range of 20... :negative:

I was really hopeful for Supreme Warfare, but there's no point -- you need to get right up in the face of the enemy, and by the time the shell actually arrives you've killed everything anyways (and are probably standing directly underneath it looting the corpses).

I think it would be possible to modify the LRPC so that you just manually enter elevation and bearing and push button, which isn't really automated but is a lot less annoying and means you don't need to leave the base.

Of course, for the true Total Annihilation experience, it needs to automatically lock onto and rain fire down upon anything the radar detects, even if it's inside your base :getin:

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

ToxicFrog posted:

I was really hopeful for Supreme Warfare, but there's no point -- you need to get right up in the face of the enemy, and by the time the shell actually arrives you've killed everything anyways (and are probably standing directly underneath it looting the corpses).

I think it would be possible to modify the LRPC so that you just manually enter elevation and bearing and push button, which isn't really automated but is a lot less annoying and means you don't need to leave the base.

Of course, for the true Total Annihilation experience, it needs to automatically lock onto and rain fire down upon anything the radar detects, even if it's inside your base :getin:

The other big problem with artillery type weapons in Factorio is that as soon as biters take 'shot' damage they head for the source, regardless of how far away they are (you can see this with supreme warfare). So unless your first shot kills everything instantly, the whole lot will start racing to the guns. Then more will spawn and your next shell hits...
So there would need to be a change to the combat core.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

I'd settle for placeable/railcar artillery that basically kills the gently caress out of everything in a radar-like radius, in exchange for mostly needing shitloads of tnt for projectiles/propellant. Why do I have to go drive a tank around to clear out these assholes when everything else in the game I can delegate to machines/robots etc?

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
The other impossible to delegate task is finding new mines and hooking them up.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Ratzap posted:

The other big problem with artillery type weapons in Factorio is that as soon as biters take 'shot' damage they head for the source, regardless of how far away they are (you can see this with supreme warfare). So unless your first shot kills everything instantly, the whole lot will start racing to the guns. Then more will spawn and your next shell hits...
So there would need to be a change to the combat core.

This sounds like incentive to build enough linked guns that they kill anything they hit in a single salvo. Not seeing the problem here.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Nth Doctor posted:

Still need to get to oil production and I'd like to start upgrading my power poles because finding wood is a huge pain in the rear end now. Also need to begin making yellow ammo now that I have steel production.

The biters seem to be coming at me from the north, west, and south. I've walled off the eastern end but there are no turrets there yet.
The biters seem to be attacking my steel and iron smelting plants, my copper and iron mines, and some make it to the power plant.

I managed to get 9 oil wells up and running, feeding into a refinery. Petroleum gas is going to make plastic bars, at the moment (capped at 100).
I also threw up some bunkers to protect my west and southwest sides. I more fully scouted the biter bases, and know where they're coming from, but the worms are too big to let me get close. I don't have any poison capsules yet, and haven't been able to build batteries for laser turrets. Once I figure out how and where I want to do that manufacturing, I should be good.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
I'm redoing the (lovely) art for my crafted artifacts mod, now it's still lovely but slightly less so:

Rare earth + copper plate -> Superconductors
Superconductors + plastic -> Superconducting wire
Superconducting wire + processing units -> Advanced processing units*

*Alien artifacts reskinned to be purple circuits

Now I'm wondering, should I make the superconductor recipe require copper ore instead of plate?

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
I like the art!

I'd keep it as copper plate for the recipe. It makes more sense that you'd smelt the copper first, in my opinion -- get rid of impurities, etc. Plus, no other directly require copper ore, and having to divert some to your factories would be annoying.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
I felt like that was rather the point. Instead of having to just use a shitload of the same copper plates you use everywhere else, make a different use of a small portion of that resource. I'm looking at ways of making things interesting rather than just expensive or hard to find.

And it's not without precedent: concrete uses iron ore rather than iron.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

GotLag posted:

I felt like that was rather the point. Instead of having to just use a shitload of the same copper plates you use everywhere else, make a different use of a small portion of that resource. I'm looking at ways of making things interesting rather than just expensive or hard to find.

I think that's more for a real-world standpoint rather than a game one, as concrete in real life requires aggregate.

Redchaostry
Nov 27, 2008
Purchased Factorio a few days ago. Played through the tutorials and campaign. Realize I have no idea how to do anything past green science packs. Started a new game and a few 12 hours in I think I am doing ok. I have all researches that only require red and green complete. Then I meet spitters for the first time. Their range and damage is respectable. I foresee that I will not be able to recover as I am starved for coal currently, and horrible waves and waves of spitters rotate attacking my base.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008
:aaaaa: Robots are amazing :aaaaa:

Also, what's up with the capacity of trains? The cargo cars have less storage capacity than the chests I make.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Give Negative Root a thumb.. He suffers from depression and is going through a rough patch. I know a lot of us use his videos to help learn the game so send support if you have a moment.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Why does he need thumbs? Does he lack thumbs? Don't all humans have thumbs? Is that why he's depressed? Is he trying to make Wendy's Chili? Does it have to be my thumbs, or can I take someone else's to give him?

Kenlon
Jun 27, 2003

Digitus Impudicus

Bedurndurn posted:

Also, what's up with the capacity of trains? The cargo cars have less storage capacity than the chests I make.

Trains are for moving cargo, not storing it.

quote:

:aaaaa: Robots are amazing :aaaaa:

Construction bots are amazing, logistics bots are a trap.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Boogalo posted:

New blog post is up!

http://www.factorio.com/blog/post/fff-128

Experimental belt (un)loader

http://i.imgur.com/c8bKi2a.webm

:swoon: It looks neat but could make some logistics waaaay too easy. Easy enough to just not use them though.

It could also make some interesting setups with belts, chests, and stack size improved inserters.

This doesn't look that ridiculous to me; the only place where I can really think "yes this would be a 100% improvement over the current situation" is loading/unloading trains.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
It definitely changes how you load/unload factories. Instead of pulling straight off/onto a belt, you can use an intermediate chest and greatly increase your inserter bandwidth.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
Wow. Doesn't that just make inserters completely obsolete?

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

ToxicFrog posted:

This sounds like incentive to build enough linked guns that they kill anything they hit in a single salvo. Not seeing the problem here.

You'd need to wipe out the whole nest in one blast remember, hitting one hut or a few biters aggros the rest. Something like tactical nukes would work, bobs or yuoki has uranium and reactors I think so this could be a goer.

Kenlon
Jun 27, 2003

Digitus Impudicus

Suspicious Dish posted:

Wow. Doesn't that just make inserters completely obsolete?

It certainly would render large portions of my belt and inserter setup around buffer storage, since I could just rely on full belt bandwidth in and out of the boxes at all times.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Dr. Stab posted:

It definitely changes how you load/unload factories. Instead of pulling straight off/onto a belt, you can use an intermediate chest and greatly increase your inserter bandwidth.

Yes and no - most factories are balanced around getting sufficient throughput with inserters. In order to use the loader, you'd need to split off of the belt that feeds a factory, then toss the loader up in there. That's fine if the factory only needs one belt, but when you get two or three belts to a single factory, then things start getting absurd. You'd end up spending huge amounts of time, space, and resources to try to feed one factory, when it'd be much cheaper to simply build more factories in parallel and use inserters.

For the output of a factory, again, you're generally better off just using an inserter, especially with the stack size upgrades. It's more space and resource efficient.

The only exception I could think of to this is if you were running a Bob's mod factory full of god module 5's and surrounded by speed beacons. Even then, you can get enough throughput with his super fast inserters and logistic bots feeding stuff into chests.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

I was under the impression this was just for containers (chests, trains) and wouldn't apply to assemblers. Maybe I'm wrong, but if it only applied to containers I don't see how it's that imbalanced.

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

After buying it in 2014, the current version seems like the biters are much less interested in attacking my world killing industry. Is there some setting I am missing? It's really easy to build whatever when you aren't constrained by defending it and I am working through all the green tier techs without even building a wall or gun.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
I've been inspired by all the large-belt factories in this thread recently to start one of my own. It's forced me out of some of my bad habits, like being too conservative and only building 10 - 15 furnaces for iron and copper each and then wondering why I couldn't sustain my factories. I've hit that post-blue-science, pre-blue-circuits stage.

Besides science factories, what do you usually automate? I feel like I'm not taking full advantage of my resources. Currently I have:

• Red, Green and Blue science with their dependencies (plastic, batteries, steel, etc.)
  • Engines, Electric Engines, Robots
  • Accumulators and Solar panels
  • The usual petrochemical stuff, i.e. solid fuel and lubricant (and everything consumed by blue science)
  • Yellow and Red belts, iron gear wheels, pipes and underground pipes

I'm going to add blue circuit, all 3 modules, blue belts, explosives and ammunition. I'm in peaceful mode, otherwise I would have already automated walls, turrets and ammo. What else am I missing? (Besides the end-game rocket stuff.)

I'm tempted to turn off peaceful mode later, which you can do with the following commands:
code:
/c game.peaceful_mode = false
/c game.forces['enemy'].kill_all_units()
(Putting "true" instead of "false" on the first line will let you enable peaceful mode in any save, by the way.)

Marzzle posted:

After buying it in 2014, the current version seems like the biters are much less interested in attacking my world killing industry. Is there some setting I am missing? It's really easy to build whatever when you aren't constrained by defending it and I am working through all the green tier techs without even building a wall or gun.

Did you accidentally activate peaceful mode or something? I don't have much experience with biters, so that's the only thing I can think of.

GotLag posted:

That's a good point, I forgot about concrete. Still, copper plate sounds like a better idea to me. :shrug:

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Roflex posted:

I was under the impression this was just for containers (chests, trains) and wouldn't apply to assemblers. Maybe I'm wrong, but if it only applied to containers I don't see how it's that imbalanced.

Inserters get stack size bonuses when moving from assemblers into boxes, but not when putting things from assemblers onto belts. So you could have one inserter doing the work of several by just pulling from the assembler into a box, and then belt-unloading that. In the stock game you don't really have anything (other than train cars) which would benefit from using this to really maximize the available throughput, so instead you're basically trading space right-next-to-the-assembler (where you could put more inserters to do that work) vs. space a bit further away from the machine, which could help you squeeze things in to a tight layout (remember: space is a resource!), but isn't exactly what I'd call "overpowered".

In something like Bob's Mods you end up with single assemblers that have insane production rates, so you basically have to load/unload from boxes (and fill/clear out those boxes using logistic robots). This sort of thing theoretically could let you keep doing belt-based designs instead of having to transition into the snoozefest that is logistic-robot-based production.

texasmed
May 27, 2004

Ratzap posted:

I was wondering what the hardest set of initial conditions would be. So I fiddled a bit and discovered that it's impossible to do anything in a fair number of cases. Most extreme was very small starting area and all the biter stuff at maximum. You start surrounded on all sides by a wall of alien flesh. This is what the map looks like

I had some trouble in a recent game with bugs set to Normal, Big, and Good with resources set to the same settings, but I think it's possible to get it going. I couldn't get my production scaled up fast enough before getting attacked at 22 minutes, and I hadn't been making walls either.

I have the most fun trying to think about how to set up my factory while being under threat of dying at any moment

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

Solumin posted:

Did you accidentally activate peaceful mode or something? I don't have much experience with biters, so that's the only thing I can think of.

I don't think it was on. It was a random map and the nests were sorta far off but not exactly out of range. The biters attack when approached but never send in waves of guys to mess me up

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Does anyone else sometimes hear the "waah waah" of the biter alert even when they're not playing the game? poo poo's almost as bad as phantom cellphone vibrations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zeekner
Jul 14, 2007

Marzzle posted:

I don't think it was on. It was a random map and the nests were sorta far off but not exactly out of range. The biters attack when approached but never send in waves of guys to mess me up

Were you playing in a dense forest? I've noticed that the pollution spread on an empty desert guarantees huge biter waves pretty quick.