Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlueKingBar
Jan 25, 2016

Hey guys let's just literally never talk to me again maybe that'll fix things

HaB posted:

I never got into the huge automated tree/wheat farms, so I guess I never registered they are harder to make now.

I'm not talking huge, I'm talking making a reliable food source so you're not stuck on half a heart by night 2 or a wood source so you're not out of wood by night 5. It's like, let's take something about the game that's already not fun and make it less so, that'll learn them non-RPG-playin' kids!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

BlueKingBar posted:

I'm not talking huge, I'm talking making a reliable food source so you're not stuck on half a heart by night 2 or a wood source so you're not out of wood by night 5. It's like, let's take something about the game that's already not fun and make it less so, that'll learn them non-RPG-playin' kids!

:stare:

are you sure we're talking about the same game? There is literally wildlife EVERYWHERE you can kill and eat, plus if you're collecting that much wood you should have so many apples that they're actually in the way of poo poo you really want to carry. And what sort of massive structure are you building that you run out of wood? I replant a tree as soon as I cut it down and odds are good that it's already grown back the next morning.

I'm not even sure what your comment about RPGs means there. Are you saying MC isn't one or is one? I'm not being a wiseass - I honestly am asking.

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

BlueKingBar posted:

I never had a problem with either of these when playing on hard. Maybe you just need to get good?

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
I found the claymore mines worked well against Metro 2033's bosses, but there was definitely an element of scripting/luck to the bear fight.

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Kay Kessler posted:

Yiazmat from FFXII is an infamous example. 50 million HP, and your damage cap is 9999 per hit. And when he's on his last life bar, he heal himself to full health once. Takes literally hours to beat. Granted, it's supposed to be the hardest optional boss in the game, but it's still pretty egregious.

I don't think he actually heals himself - he casts Reflect on your party, and if you're using the full heal spell to keep yourself up (as you probably will be) and don't notice (also likely) your heal spell reflects to him and restores his HP.

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont
I loved both Metro games and I didn't even remember a Bear fight and had to look it up after seeing it mentioned in this thread. I guess I got lucky when I fought it because I don't remember it at all, so it must have been an easy fight for me for whatever reason.

The boss I ended up hating was before that, at the end of the swamp section, the big green thing. I pumped bullets into it but there was no health bar or visible indication that the thing was taking damage, and it just kept soaking up bullets for what seemed a long time and I got worried I was doing it wrong until I looked it up and yeah, you just have to shoot it a lot.

Last Light was a good game but it really kind of drifted off at the end. The first game built up to the entire tower climb, the second one just sort of has you wander around feeling like something is coming, then you fight the nazis in a tense battle, and it just ends. When I killed the tank I thought there would be more to it but that was it.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

BlueKingBar posted:

You just set yourself to Peaceful mode for a bit and then reset it to what it was when your health goes back up?

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Never thought I'd see some git gud posturing over Minecraft.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Febreeze posted:

I loved both Metro games and I didn't even remember a Bear fight and had to look it up after seeing it mentioned in this thread. I guess I got lucky when I fought it because I don't remember it at all, so it must have been an easy fight for me for whatever reason.

The boss I ended up hating was before that, at the end of the swamp section, the big green thing. I pumped bullets into it but there was no health bar or visible indication that the thing was taking damage, and it just kept soaking up bullets for what seemed a long time and I got worried I was doing it wrong until I looked it up and yeah, you just have to shoot it a lot.

Last Light was a good game but it really kind of drifted off at the end. The first game built up to the entire tower climb, the second one just sort of has you wander around feeling like something is coming, then you fight the nazis in a tense battle, and it just ends. When I killed the tank I thought there would be more to it but that was it.

Yeah, the giant shrimp was way worse, I won't argue with you there.

My problem with the bear was that they told me to shoot it in the back but I didn't know by 'back' they meant up at the top and not down by the base of the spine.

And you're right about the ending too. It's really annoying that to make the nazis threats they just gave them infinite resources and basically just locked you into a fail state where no matter how many you shoot you still lost basically.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

The best videogame bear was in Condemned 2.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

I've been playing Mechwarrior online lately and it's got some medium sized loading times. That's fine. I have two monitors and I have other poo poo to do.
But holy goddamn does this game hate you alt tabbing. It either fucks up the native desktop resolution or turns into like a 2/3rds scale window fixed to the upper left of my screen I can't alt tab away from the rest of the time, except the odd ten percent of the time it will hard lock up and force me to reboot. It HATES alt tabbing.

So I found a work-around. I took away the fullscreen and told it to do fullscreen-window. Now I can alt tab without causing a huge critical error, but instead about three to five times during the loading it will say "okay I'm going to need control of your mouse now" and then lock it to the 2nd monitor. Away from twitter or the forums or my email or whatever the gently caress is more interesting than "did you know you can target people with R?" and a splash screen of a mech getting shot.

But it doesn't take focus. It just steals the mouse. So I have to alt tab back in, and alt tab back out. And then it does it again immediately because gently caress me for not loving loading screens I guess.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Terraria is really bad for this too. Several massive patches did nothing but nerf fun item combinations into the ground because they are Incorrect, to the point that some of the most popular mods are just undoing those changes.

Terraria's been in 1.3 and I think finished for so long I've completely forgotten about any changes they've done beyond how the game is now? What exactly was it they nerfed? It can't be as bad as Starbound, at any rate though.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

RareAcumen posted:

Terraria's been in 1.3 and I think finished for so long I've completely forgotten about any changes they've done beyond how the game is now? What exactly was it they nerfed? It can't be as bad as Starbound, at any rate though.

Biggest things I can think of are nerfs to healing gear like the specter set and making it so the teleport rod damages you so you can't use it indefinitely.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

kazil posted:

Biggest things I can think of are nerfs to healing gear like the specter set

Oh yeah, I remember that. It seemed weird to me that no one just decided to not use it if it made the game less fun to them but whatever I guess.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Slime posted:

Just adding a fuckton more HP than is fun is the classic fallback of bad game design. Maybe they ran out of time to design a good fight, or they genuinely believe that more time spent chipping away at some ridiculous health bar means it's challenging. It isn't challenging, it's just tedious. Most of the time with enemies like that you either lose through sheet attrition or maybe even just get loving bored and stop giving a poo poo and maybe even give up entirely because you're so bored.

Ugh god, Afterbirth just added bosses with inflated HP pools in general. Hush and Ultra Greed especially, but new bosses in general just have way too much HP to be fun. The bosses are actually pretty fun, but not fun enough to fight forever.

Greed and Husk are immune to the flies and spider you can spawn with guppy or infestation 2 so if your damage is really high and you have enough you can practically one shot them.

And yea, Afterbirth buffed the health of most normal enemies and a few bosses(war is an absolute slog now) it also makes the first floors very tedious.

quote:

It always baffles me when a developer gets obsessed with trying to make the game work exactly the way they want it to instead of actually being fun when the game's a single player game.

Nicalis has spent quite awhile nerfing a lot of fun items and builds since Afterbirth came out, most of the changes seem really stupid and arbitrary as well when there's still plenty of combos that rip the game wide open if you get them.

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

:zaurg:

Switchblade Switcharoo

RareAcumen posted:

And you're right about the ending too. It's really annoying that to make the nazis threats they just gave them infinite resources and basically just locked you into a fail state where no matter how many you shoot you still lost basically.

It was the Communists at the end, not the Nazis. :spergin:

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

HaB posted:

Wait. What happened with Minecraft?

They tried to turn it into an RPG. I don't know if they changed it but last time I played there was no way to modify the options so there was no in-between from full on survival mode where you had to eat constantly and were expected to actually farm, and creative mode where you were an immortal god flying around with infinite bricks. I liked it back when the challenge was just to not die, I had a hard enough time doing that. Then they basically just gave you a timer and you had to fill your inventory with food or gently caress you and as other people have said, increased the amount of tedium to get anywhere. So it was really awful to fall to your death right before you were able to finish a bed or something because suddenly you're spawning naked halfway across the map with no way to get back to your stuff.

RareAcumen posted:

they just gave them infinite resources and basically just locked you into a fail state where no matter how many you shoot you still lost basically.
I'd just like to say that this is my least favorite thing in any game ever. Strategy games do it a lot, where they just give the AI infinite resources so suddenly they're just pumping out infinite amounts of the strongest units and you have literally no way to fight back despite the fact that you own every single resource spot on the map and they shouldn't be able to. Or in some JRPGs, like digimon which I've been complaining about, where enemies get infinite MP. So this one guy who has a full heal that recovers his whole team to full health and recovers any status effects can just use it every single turn for the entire battle because the AI is an rear end in a top hat. There's nothing I can do to stop it other than hoping it doesn't do that for one turn so I can kill it.

Nuebot has a new favorite as of 00:47 on Mar 5, 2016

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Sic Semper Goon posted:

It was the Communists at the end, not the Nazis. :spergin:

Whoops, I guess I lost track of things somewhere along the line. :shobon:

Nuebot posted:

I'd just like to say that this is my least favorite thing in any game ever. Strategy games do it a lot, where they just give the AI infinite resources so suddenly they're just pumping out infinite amounts of the strongest units and you have literally no way to fight back despite the fact that you own every single resource spot on the map and they shouldn't be able to. Or in some JRPGs, like digimon which I've been complaining about, where enemies get infinite MP. So this one guy who has a full heal that recovers his whole team to full health and recovers any status effects can just use it every single turn for the entire battle because the AI is an rear end in a top hat. There's nothing I can do to stop it other than hoping it doesn't do that for one turn so I can kill it.

And it wouldn't be such a pain in the rear end if any of these supposed to lose fights that you get stuck in would just let you continue if you die in the first or third wave or whenever.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

RareAcumen posted:

Are the Starbound devs still hung up on that balance paradigm where a maximally geared character is supposed to be able to kill something like 1.5 enemies without recharging? Because that was dragging that game way down.

The Moon Monster has a new favorite as of 02:42 on Mar 5, 2016

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...

Inspector Gesicht posted:

rear end Creed 4: No game has ever been improved by forcing you to interact with French-Canadians.

NHL 94 on Sega Genesis?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

The Moon Monster posted:

Are the Starbound devs still hung up on that balance paradigm where a maximally geared character is supposed to be able to kill something like 1.5 enemies without recharging? Because that was dragging that game way down.

Food rots and doesn't stack, the different races don't seem to have anything really different about them although I think the starcowboys glow a bit, they're loving around with things as if combat is going to be the main draw of the game by making your speed while walking backwards slower than forwards for some reason. Also the enemies seem to be getting touch damage reintroduced as well on top of doing way too much damage? That and the devs will remove features in the game because they're planning on making an upgraded version. For example: Energy dashing in the air becoming impossible because techs will be upgradeable in the future.

So the devs made it so you get poo poo tier tech now with no upgrades possible instead of waiting until upgrades were a thing and implementing it then.

It's an amazing mess and you can get the skinny on it from the thread but be wary of extreme shitposts because it's a thread of a game that's aggressively squandering its potential. http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3697749&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

My favorite starbound thing was when they decided to give every block health because they really, really wanted to introduce dark souls style PVP where anyone could just show up and shoot your house to death and gently caress your day up and go away just because they didn't want to design any actual end-game content so they wanted everything to be user generated.

Did they ever go through with that?

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.

Krinkle posted:

I've been playing Mechwarrior online lately and it's got some medium sized loading times. That's fine. I have two monitors and I have other poo poo to do.
But holy goddamn does this game hate you alt tabbing. It either fucks up the native desktop resolution or turns into like a 2/3rds scale window fixed to the upper left of my screen I can't alt tab away from the rest of the time, except the odd ten percent of the time it will hard lock up and force me to reboot. It HATES alt tabbing.

So I found a work-around. I took away the fullscreen and told it to do fullscreen-window. Now I can alt tab without causing a huge critical error, but instead about three to five times during the loading it will say "okay I'm going to need control of your mouse now" and then lock it to the 2nd monitor. Away from twitter or the forums or my email or whatever the gently caress is more interesting than "did you know you can target people with R?" and a splash screen of a mech getting shot.

But it doesn't take focus. It just steals the mouse. So I have to alt tab back in, and alt tab back out. And then it does it again immediately because gently caress me for not loving loading screens I guess.

That's Cryengine in general though, I had big problems with Crysis as well and that thing where it starts up with the wrong resolution and you have to set it to windowed, close the game, restart and set it to full screen to take. No idea why it does any of those things, apparently it just hates you using more than one screen.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

oldpainless posted:

more Stardew Valley

there's a blacksmith in the town, but as far as i can tell there's no way to craft better swords. only way i've gotten new weapons is either from the local mines or the adventurer's guild next door. there might be a character i haven't encountered yet who could fill that niche, but i'm not sure as of yet.

also using a controller makes the game kinda wonky. if you're moving the cursor with the right stick, the game will behave as if you've moused over that specific location and kept it there and won't respond if you're trying to place down objects if the cursor is too far from you. this was why i couldn't tile my fences properly. whenever i was picking a choice in the dialogue box or managing my inventory, when i started moving my character my cursor would disappear but the game kept its relative position to my character constant. in order to reset the cursor, i had to move it all the way to the top left of the screen so it reset its position and i could interact with the tiles adjacent to my character.

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Persona 4 is one of the best games ever made but holy gently caress did Teddie get annoying after awhile

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

oldpainless posted:

Read Only Memories was a smug, overly-verbose slog of an adventure game but the mansion of the woman with a pet cyborg polar bear where almost every item and action description was a bear pun was fun times.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

razorrozar posted:

Persona 4 is one of the best games ever made but holy gently caress did Teddie get annoying after awhile

Could bear his presence in the end, huh?

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
He was a little overbearing.

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747
goddammit i have no one to blame for this but myself

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

razorrozar posted:

goddammit i have no one to blame for this but myself

At least the puns weren't very grizzly.

It's me. I'm the worst.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Action Tortoise posted:

more Stardew Valley

there's a blacksmith in the town, but as far as i can tell there's no way to craft better swords. only way i've gotten new weapons is either from the local mines or the adventurer's guild next door. there might be a character i haven't encountered yet who could fill that niche, but i'm not sure as of yet.

also using a controller makes the game kinda wonky. if you're moving the cursor with the right stick, the game will behave as if you've moused over that specific location and kept it there and won't respond if you're trying to place down objects if the cursor is too far from you. this was why i couldn't tile my fences properly. whenever i was picking a choice in the dialogue box or managing my inventory, when i started moving my character my cursor would disappear but the game kept its relative position to my character constant. in order to reset the cursor, i had to move it all the way to the top left of the screen so it reset its position and i could interact with the tiles adjacent to my character.

Yeah, the blacksmith is only for upgrading tools and cracking open geodes. The main ways to get swords is by finding them in the mine or buying them from the adventurer's guild. Although I did find a pretty nice one as a fishing treasure chest.

I think fishing is the only thing in that gamer that plays better with a controller, it seems designed around m/kb.

The thing dragging the game down for me is the name Stardew Valley. Too precious.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Recently finished playing through the story mode in Black Ops 3 and man, that game is needlessly obtuse. Like all the setting background is hidden away on a fake internet. Also some of the story stuff just doesn't make a lot of sense. Like before the last mission you undergo some kind of procedure that is never explained and doesn't seem to change anything.

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Just got in to ARK and like all survive-em-ups the thing dragging it down is its players. Everyone is a piping prepubescent kid or an idiot or both.

I know I have a hobby aimed at children and the retarded but I hate being reminded of it.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Danger Mahoney posted:

Just got in to ARK and like all survive-em-ups the thing dragging it down is its players. Everyone is a piping prepubescent kid or an idiot or both.

I know I have a hobby aimed at children and the retarded but I hate being reminded of it.

Got back into cs:go and everyone with a mic is a kid tripping over their words trying to drop sick burns, guys mic spamming tracks, or dudes bitching about how much they hate whatever is being mic spammed.

It's paradise, guys :allears:

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

razorrozar posted:

Be glad you haven't played Persona Q then (or if you have, I'm sorry.)

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

BlueKingBar posted:

Not any one big thing in particular, it's just that his balancing was "This task is too easy? Let's make it really loving tedious and annoying to make it harder to win the game." Like changing making a wheat farm from "use one bonemeal on each tile of wheat to grow it" to "use anywhere from 1-5 to grow it". Same poo poo with trees. Fun fact: people got really good at making wheat and tree farms because waiting 30 minutes to an hour in real life for a tree to loving grow is Not Fun.

Not to mention poo poo like the Nether (basically Hell) having literally no reason to go there aside from glowstone for like a year after it was released, being enormously annoying to get to. You needed at least 10 pieces of obsidian, which was created by pouring water over lava and then mining it. Mining around lava is dangerous as gently caress because you can fall in and lose your entire inventory (one of the few things that I guarantee will make anyone ragequit a single player game of all things), doubly so with water around to shove you in. Triply so because obsidian takes 15 seconds per block to mine and can only be mined with a diamond pickaxe. While a diamond pickaxe is great, diamonds are so rare that despite having 5x the number of durability (i.e. number of uses) that an iron one does, iron is so much more common and less risky to get and iron pickaxes literally do everything a diamond one does except for obsidian. Back off that tangent, you know what glowstone is good for? Lighting rooms without a torch. 4 of which can be made using one stick and a piece of coal. That's as easy to get as you would expect. Even when they added more resources to the Nether, it was too little too late and it still wasn't worth going to. Speaking of things Not Worth Going To, see the final boss.

Wasn't there a time when Minecraft was mostly about building gigantic 1:1 models of the USS Enterprise or the like? Actually having combat or danger seems superfluous at best.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
There's different modes. Creative is the sandbox mode, survival is about, well, survival, and there was supposed to be an adventure mode but I dunno if that ever got fleshed out. Wasn't telltale doing an adventure game for minecraft?

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Danger Mahoney posted:

I never ran into any kids in ARK. Just a lot of chinese players who played 24/7 and would destroy anyone who made it to stone tier relentlessly because the developers thought it would be totally cool to make one dinosaur that could eat rocks. Said dinosaur is also borderline invincible unless you're strong enough to also own said dinosaur, but if even one tribe gets one good loving luck ever getting strong enough to defend yourself ever again.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Action Tortoise posted:

There's different modes. Creative is the sandbox mode, survival is about, well, survival, and there was supposed to be an adventure mode but I dunno if that ever got fleshed out. Wasn't telltale doing an adventure game for minecraft?

There is an adventure mode--it can't be entered through menus, only with cheats or server commands. It removes the ability to place down or destroy blocks without the correct tools, it's mostly intended for use with player-made maps.

Telltale have been doing a Minecraft adventure game, but by all reports it's not one of their good ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

StandardVC10 posted:

Be glad you haven't played Persona Q then (or if you have, I'm sorry.)

Teddie was the least of that games problems.