Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

Herman Merman posted:

:psyduck: those rings are rotating at loving constant angular velocity, their movement should be entirely predictable

The rings aren't rotating predictably like some lesser fidelity games would do! Star Citizen models the hamsters running in the wheels, spinning the gears which are in turn rotating the rings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

Tippis posted:

Aren't those kinds of threats of disproportional retribution and punishment of kids illegal or something?

Not in the Stimpire.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

Also what the gently caress is the point of those rings? They have non-centrifugal artificial-gravity on all of their ships. Does no one at CIG understand why harder sci-fi has ships with rotating sections?

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

SelenicMartian posted:

What manner of WC?

Water Closet.

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Also what the gently caress is the point of those rings? They have non-centrifugal artificial-gravity on all of their ships. Does no one at CIG understand why harder sci-fi has ships with rotating sections?

As far as i understood, after someone pointed that out to them, they retconned all rotating modules and sections on all vessels to ”rotating to facilitate easier cargo manipulation” or somesuch poo poo.

It's hilariously stupid.

stinch
Nov 21, 2013

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Well they tried that, turns out it's just as hard to get a ship with an even number of rotating sections as it is to get a ship with the correct number of chairs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AfNnul3m_pA

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

G0RF posted:

Small mining ship was revealed to team. Ben liked it. Chris... not so much. So it's back to the drawing board for that one.

Really interested to see how they improve upon the Elite mechanic. Mining is, quite literally, a grind-- so how Chris is going to make it 'as good or better than anything out there' will be curious to see.

Another pitch for Star Traders kickstarter:

Star Traders

I'm growing more curious about this project. CIG has thrice promoted it (that I know of) in video programming. Doing so is essentially advertising for a private project for employees, and surely much of the money is coming from fans. I don't consider this unethical in anyway, just uncharacteristic of CIG. Wonder about motives there.

David Ladyman is an old-school, long-term Steve Jackson Games game designer - he's responsible for large chunks of Car Wars, among other things. He makes games, it's what he does. Promoting this is just what you do for someone like that. Also, I can tell you that I'd back this based on his reputation, if it was the sort of game you like - it's been tested, he knows about production, he knows factories that will make the game and if he doesn't he can ask Evil Stevie who certainly does.

It's as close to a zero-risk proposition as you can get.

Will it be fun? Dunno.

I should note that Mr. Ladyman is responsible for Jump Point, which is the one thing in this game that you can say has always been done well, with good attention to detail. You may not enjoy it, but you can't blame the production value.

Warcabbit fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Mar 5, 2016

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Ah yes, the mythical secret dev build, which always comes to the rescue at most new games releases... So cunning of CIG, no one will see it coming.

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

Daztek posted:

Was there an archive with all the fantastic images and gifs from this thread? I may need it for a project

Does your project need a domain, perchance?

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

MedicineHut posted:

Ah yes, the mythical secret dev build, which always comes to the rescue at most new games releases... So cunning of CIG, no one will see it coming.

The true genius is not revealing it - when you're asking for charity to make a game, the last thing you want to reveal is something promising.

boethius
Jul 10, 2001

Space bunnies have three ears

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

The rings aren't rotating predictably like some lesser fidelity games would do! Star Citizen models the hamsters running in the wheels, spinning the gears which are in turn rotating the rings.

Are they procedurally generated hamsters? I need this level of fidelitousness.

Herman Merman
Jul 6, 2008

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Who cares, space stations with rotating rings make pretty scenery and are traditional.

If you need an in-game reason, let's say the rings store warp drive fuel made of super-energetic strange matter which needs to be kept under constant acceleration to stabilize it. Artificial gravity does not cut it because of the dangerous harmonic gluon cascade effect it triggers in the fuel due to field fluctuations.
There, I've just made up more than enough technobabble lore to justify the rings. There are enough actual issues to complain about in Star Citizen, don't obsess over the little details.

boethius
Jul 10, 2001

Space bunnies have three ears

Scruffpuff posted:

The true genius is not revealing it - when you're asking for charity to make a game, the last thing you want to reveal is something promising.

Very much against the principles of open development, making one's development open. Clearly, I know a thing or two about game design.

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

I do this exercise, sometimes, where i try to empathize/emulate stupid development decisions. It comes in handy at work, when debugging.
Anyway, here's what i think happened:

Croberts: "We need a space station... WITH RINGS and poo poo."
Dev1: "Okay."
-- 2 14 hours days later --
Dev1: "Here ya go. Only... there's an issue with the rings."
Croberts: "What issue?"
Dev1: "They might not be in the same position on all clients. They might not spin in sync. I take it that's okay, right?"
Croberts: "NO, SLAVE, how will our commandos swerve and dodge and race *wild hand flailing* around them now?! FIX IT!"
Dev1: "Okay, we'll think of something."
-- intermission --
Dev1: "Guys, what do we do? We need to sync this. Should we just make the server do the heavy lifting all the time?"
Dev2: "Naw, man, that's dumb. The motion is 100% deterministic. Just sync the starting point."
-- intermission --
Dev1: "Crap, dude, that didn't work. Some of our clients' clocks beat a little out of sync. It adds up. Now we've got stimpire level poo poo going on, with random rings on random machines crushing people to pulp, but the client thinking everything's still fine. It's a nightmare."
Dev2: "Hmmm. I KNOW! Let's compromise! We'll resync the starting position every 5 seconds!"

Voila - twitchy rings. God only knows why they sometimes run backwards, though, the error should never EVER be that big.

Mr Fronts
Jan 31, 2016

Yo! The Mafia supports you. But don't tell no one. Spread the word.

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

And the fidelity extends to the level of oxygenation of each hamster, based on its age, cardiovascular fitness, relative humidity, fur length, muscle tone and recent diet.

Of course, some bitter and deluded people like Deruk Spart incorrectly assume it is just a badly coded, janky, broken space station animation... when in actual fact, it is caused by a simulated arterial blockage and resulting cardiac arrest in one of the hamsters.

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

I'm really starting to think Star Citizen might actually be a scam.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/491lxu/what_the_heck_happened_to_the_xian_space_plant/

Jesus lord, this poo poo is like anorexia, these people actually look at that piece of poo poo capsule and claim to see more detail in it than in the concept. That poo poo wouldn't be out of place in Fallout 3, so much for ~*fidelity*~. And that last post...

Risc1911
Mar 1, 2016

30 Minutes until the live Squadron 42 event starts.

https://youtu.be/rLwPMFrAbP0

Dis' gon' be gud!

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Risc1911 posted:

Dis' gon' be gud!

I missed this. They actually going to show something?

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

You clearly don't understand joke development :justpost:

Risc1911 posted:

Dis' gon' be gud!

:munch:

Thank you for letting us know commando

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
I want to watch the upcoming Eternal Crusade preview instead.

Kinda interested in Rising Storm 2, kinda missed the boat on the first one.

Fargin Icehole fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Mar 5, 2016

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

MeLKoR posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/491lxu/what_the_heck_happened_to_the_xian_space_plant/

Jesus lord, this poo poo is like anorexia, these people actually look at that piece of poo poo capsule and claim to see more detail in it than in the concept. That poo poo wouldn't be out of place in Fallout 3, so much for ~*fidelity*~. And that last post...

clearly you don't know anything about open game development, they have what they call Sunk Cost Fallacy Goggles as shown below:

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

WHEN WE DON'T KNOW WHO TO HATE, WE HATE OURSELVES.-SA USER NATION (AKA ME!)

G0RF posted:

"Everything is under control, situation normal..."

Elsewhere, savor the fidelity in the Monthly Update:

(Sorry if that got posted already.)

what the gently caress lol

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

MeLKoR posted:

Ah yes the age old problem of only being able to test textures and materials by shipping them. Age old art pipeline issue.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
lol they bailed

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

:laffo: Star Citizen not appearing on the livestream

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Fargin Icehole posted:

I want to watch the upcoming Eternal Crusade preview instead.

Kinda interested in Rising Storm 2, kinda missed the boat on the first one.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA hahahaha, wow, well, I guess i'll be able to watch Eternal Crusade a half hour sooner. I got my wish.

sunaurus
Feb 13, 2012

Oh great, another bookah.
"I'm afraid to say that Star Citizen will NOT be appearing on the live stream today"

Risc1911
Mar 1, 2016

Mr.Tophat posted:

:munch:

Thank you for letting us know commando

Colostomy Bag posted:

I missed this. They actually going to show something?

WOW! They bailed. This is better than i thought!

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

I wonder if that is the Alan Wilson from Tripwire Interactive...

EDIT
UPDATE they are going to do it.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
gently caress, nevermind, here we go.

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

They had an 'administrative moment'

lol

Risc1911
Mar 1, 2016

And they are back, what a clusterfuck!

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Mr.Tophat posted:

They had an 'administrative moment'

lol

I don't believe this. Even their previews and showing off is as indecisive as their plan for the game.

Ghosts Love Wubs
Oct 9, 2009
What is the over/under on them showing an iota of new footage from Sq42?

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

Will this man fall under the bus?

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

Ghosts Love Wubs posted:

I wish the whole SC element could have been this (with no audio):

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

Just loving post

PERSISTENT UNIVERSE

lil bit of everything

Of course the backers are interested in every part of it, that you've divided, and are selling separately, yes

xanif
Nov 3, 2010

Beer: Who was your first kill, not counting old men?
Eonwe: One of the outlaws in the Brotherhood.
Seraph84: I was there that day. You were only a squire, sixteen years old.
Eonwe: You killed Friendly Tumour with a counter-post. Best move I ever saw.
Oven Wrangler

Ghosts Love Wubs posted:

0% chance

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
It's Cryengine. There is no fidelity.

• Locked thread