Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Acres of Quakers
May 6, 2006

Chinatown posted:

lol if you buy a brand new car

Lol if you can't afford the luxury of not caring about the instant depreciation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon

Navin Johnson posted:

Lucky Goldstar = LG.
My God. From their advertisement in Germany i would never have guessed that LG is short for something i thought I'd only hear on a documentary about street vendors in China: "Yes, please come buy, this is from famous manufacturer Lucky Goldstar, good quality equipment, cheap for you!"
(I only watch the documentaries where all the people involved are translated with horribly racist accents)

RabbitWizard has a new favorite as of 23:57 on Mar 4, 2016

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
I've been looking to get a used honda fit. Does honda suck now or something?

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Falun Bong Refugee posted:

I've been looking to get a used honda fit. Does honda suck now or something?

There's an Ask/Tell thread about car buying so go there. They'll tell you the Honda Fit is a great car though

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

BigBoss posted:

I'm not surprised. How could they match the R&D and production scale of the larger Japanese concerns once things went digital? You can't just make CCDs in house the same way you grind lenses or stamp bodies. I would assume Leica sources good components, but I am not shocked they have to buy the camera guts from someone else.

For cameras, Leica essentially hand-manufactures the camera casing and optics, so you end up with above-average grade everything around a sensor of hit or miss quality. Another problem is that Leica is targeting an extremely niche market. The whole point of using a rangefinder is that it's a small inconspicuous camera you can carry around everywhere for e.g. street photography without being mugged at knifepoint in slums all the time. The completely insane cost of Leica Ms completely defeats the point of using a Leica for street journalism etc. when you could buy a literal bag of Fuji X-Pro 2s with a digitally enhanced rangefinder viewfinder, autofocus, and generally more modern guts in a slightly less tank-like case for the same price and just wreck one every year. The remaining market for Leica is therefore rich hipsters.

All the good parts of Leica are still present in the microscope division, because a market for expensive high performance microscopes still exists.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
I totally intended to own my first "good" car, a decade+ old 2002 Accord, until it became a classic car. The crash sort of got in the way of that...

Hobo Pyro
Oct 17, 2010
burger king. when was the last time you got high and immediately needed burger king.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
For some reason I thought LG meant "Life's Good".

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Hobo Pyro posted:

burger king. when was the last time you got high and immediately needed burger king.

I'd agree except BK is franchised so it'll probably hang on for a good while like Quiznos, even if nobody is eating there anymore. Again, like Quiznos.

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.

Avocados posted:

For some reason I thought LG meant "Life's Good".

the reason is probably because that's their slogan in all their ads.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

remigious posted:

Kia Nissan is for poors who want a brand new car instead of something slightly used but far more reliable. My friend's dad gave her 30k to buy a new car and she spent it all on a Kia sportage. Unbelievable.

Nissan is the new Mitsubishi. :colbert:

drunk asian neighbor posted:

Yeah. Mine was the famous Volvo red, too. Leather seats, turbo engine, the works. I had one summer where everything broke in the span of a few months (blower, starter coil, plugs/cables, a few other things), but other than that it was rock-solid. Got it from my parents with 88k miles on it, gave it away with 243k. Thing was a beast and I always remember the looks on peoples' faces when they realized a car that big and boxy could loving move if I floored it.

You think internal parts were expensive, at least they were available. I got broken into via the passenger front window once, and was never able to open that window again after a repair. Apparently the window itself has some bracket pre-attached to the up/down electrical doodad, which is different from the '91 940, the 93' 940, and any other '92 model. As a result I ended up yanking one that was close out of a '92 740, just to keep the window closed, but the mechanism didn't fit right so I couldn't actually open or close it. Same with the electric side-view-mirrors; some rear end in a top hat smashed one of mine and I had to just put one of those magnifier mirrors over the crack since the mirror itself was non-removable from the whole assembly and I could never find the specific one I needed.

My greatest shame was junking a 1990 760 Turbo because I got fed up with pouring money into that sturdy but recalcitrant Swedish son of an four-wheeled whore, especially after I poured a quart of Type F in the automatic transmission thanks to a brain fart (NOTE: It uses Dextron). Legendary red blocks can't run if everything else around them are constantly breaking.

The worst part was the incredible melting fuse block that practically hot glued the low-beam headlight relay in place, which would then shut off whenever it overheated. Loads of fun on those dark country roads.

90s Solo Cup has a new favorite as of 03:51 on Mar 5, 2016

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!

WescottF1 posted:

Car and Driver just did a comparo on the 6, Accord, Camry, and a Chevy (can't remember if it's the Malibu or Impala). The 6 came in a solid first with America's favorite Camry dead last.

Yea, the 6 is SWEET. It drives great, it's got awesome standard features and it's design language is gorgeous - it's a fantastically well done car.

But keep in mind that Car and Driver doesn't review cars five years after they hit the streets. That dead-last Camry is probably going to be a tank that goes 10+ years with no electrical gremlins and only basic maintenance.

johnny sack
Jan 30, 2004

One day, this team will play to their expectations...

Just not this year..

WescottF1 posted:

Car and Driver just did a comparo on the 6, Accord, Camry, and a Chevy (can't remember if it's the Malibu or Impala). The 6 came in a solid first with America's favorite Camry dead last.

Can you really believe reviews by magazines that literally take money and free cars to spin positive reviews for car companies?

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Someone tell me who are the good car companies and who are the bad ones tia

johnny sack
Jan 30, 2004

One day, this team will play to their expectations...

Just not this year..

DOOP posted:

Someone tell me who are the good car companies and who are the bad ones tia

Almost all cars are reliable if you take even just average care of it - ie adhering to some or most of the routine maintenance.

Good Dumplings
Mar 30, 2011

Excuse my worthless shitposting because all I can ever hope to accomplish in life is to rot away the braincells of strangers on the internet with my irredeemable brainworms.
Which ones are reliable for the longest when you take no care of them, though?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

i compared 4 cars and 1 of them came in dead last

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Good Dumplings posted:

Which ones are reliable for the longest when you take no care of them, though?

it's gonna sound crazy when I say this but just go with it

Chevrolet

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

VikingSkull posted:

Chevrolet

gently caress, maybe if i hadn't gotten all those oil changes on my impala i wouldn't have had to get the transmission rebuilt at 40k miles

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

TheWhiteNightmare posted:

gently caress, maybe if i hadn't gotten all those oil changes on my impala i wouldn't have had to get the transmission rebuilt at 40k miles

it's the weirdest loving paradox but the last 17 years I spent at an auto auction bears it out

the entire car will disintegrate around you but gently caress me if the engine doesn't start

e- keep in mind, for every poo poo Impala or Daewoo rebadge blowing up at 40k, there's 5 Silverados with 300k on them

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

tbh i can believe it because nothing about how that car wore made sense to me. another 5k miles after the transmission rebuild and I dumped the fucker because the whole steering assembly was falling apart and all the engine valves were leaking

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

early 2000 toyotas own bones. camry, avalon, carolla, tacoma, tundra all excellent vehicles and should get you to 300k before you need to do major maintenance, more so for the trucks, as long as you're doing the basic poo poo more or less within the time frame. You could buy a 2002 avalon, a spacious beast with good mpg for v6 for 6k with around 100k miles and drive it for the next fifteen years

that said my car is a 2004 hyundai sonata and I've had zero problems with it, but I'm waiting every day for when it fucks up and it's not worth shelling out the money for repairs because Holy hell it did not hold any value worth poo poo

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

VikingSkull posted:

it's the weirdest loving paradox but the last 17 years I spent at an auto auction bears it out

the entire car will disintegrate around you but gently caress me if the engine doesn't start

e- keep in mind, for every poo poo Impala or Daewoo rebadge blowing up at 40k, there's 5 Silverados with 300k on them

i used to have an 84 buick and everythign in the car was a pile of garbage that would literally fall apart at a moments notice, but that 3.8l buick v6 never gave up

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.
Its pretty hard to gently caress up engines these days as they need to be of a certain quality just to run properly and pass emission tests. Half the accessories are off the shelf components as well. Its everything else they can cheap out on that makes cars expensive and poo poo.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

VikingSkull posted:

Chevrolet

you just like them because they're :911: and race on ovals.

no seriously, chevy makes a good car. I drove the cruze last year as a rental and found it a good drive.

The ford I have frustrates me to no end. swear to god I keep having problems with the electric and I had to replace the struts just recently. To be fair it's an 05...but still...goddamn.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

FuzzySkinner posted:

The ford I have frustrates me to no end. swear to god I keep having problems with the electric and I had to replace the struts just recently. To be fair it's an 05...but still...goddamn.

why the gently caress would anyone anywhere ever buy a loving ford for any reason at all

like what the gently caress did you expect

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

like seriously just sell that piece of poo poo and buy a used toyota or something, goddamn son

i mean it's still better than chrysler i guess, but gently caress man

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Cubey posted:

why the gently caress would anyone anywhere ever buy a loving ford for any reason at all

i have a ford fusion hybrid and i really like it. have had zero problems with it, it's nearly maintenance free.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Cubey posted:

I didn't buy it. It got handed down by a family member.

I actually had a Saturn prior to that and it did run very well all things considered.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

tell your family members to have a better taste in cars. ford is at least a level above chrysler and mitsubishi but they are real bad.

i learned to drive on a tempo and to this day i have never been in a car that even approached what a miserable pile of gently caress that thing was to drive. just awful in every way. that fuckin thing convinced me to never buy an american car, ever.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!
mitsubishi more like mitshubishit

The Time Dissolver
Nov 7, 2012

Are you a good person?
I drove a 2000 Saturn until last month. I'm guessing the company failed because they let their products turn to crap but that was a good car in 2000 and it was still a good car in 2014 even with the undercarriage rusted to poo poo and a big noisy hole torn in the exhaust.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

FuzzySkinner posted:

no seriously, chevy makes a good car. I drove the cruze last year as a rental and found it a good drive.

I've been looking at a few of those, used because I'm poor

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
Click and Clack chat.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Concerned Citizen posted:

i have a ford fusion hybrid and i really like it. have had zero problems with it, it's nearly maintenance free.

i've had my 14 fusion for 2 years and i still love it like the day i bought it

gonna get the sport model when it comes out this summer

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

i like cars

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

I have a 2015 Chevy cruze that's served me well. It doesn't downshift perfectly all the time but it's a nice ride.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Basically, if you say American car manufacturers are "complete poo poo" in TYOOL 2016 you're saying basically the same thing that your dad did in 1981 when he said Japanese cars are cheap steel that rusts and will never take market share from GM

Switzerland
Feb 18, 2005
Do what thou must do.
My anecdotal evidence re: car quality is way more valid than your anecdotal evidence re: car quality!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Switzerland posted:

My anecdotal evidence re: car quality is way more valid than your anecdotal evidence re: car quality!

I'll just say that my anecdotal experience comes from a 17 year career at one of the largest auto auctions in the US