Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Oh, whoa! Check out the Viewing Globe, shorty!

Let's Play Tron: Evolution

Tron: Evolution is a really good licensed game that takes place before the events of Tron: Legacy. We play as an anonymous System Monitor put in place by Flynn to keep peace between the naturally-evolved "Isomorphic Algorithms" (ISOs), and the man-made programs. The contrast between free will and pre-determined thinking/routines often put them at odds. It's a pretty good struggle with some philosophical implications, but the game focuses more on the bigger pictures.

The gameplay is almost strictly platforming/combat, but I find nothing wrong with that simplicity. The combat is styled like a beat 'em up, but plays and feels somewhat unique, due to the addition of the Light-Disc. You use mostly ranged attacks, but it feels nothing like a shooter, either. The platforming is styled after Prince of Persia, but is a lot speedier. The platforming also gives you more options in combat.

About This Let's Play In Particular:

I have already purchased all of the character upgrades and gotten all of the collectibles. Much like another game I recorded -Force Unleashed II- this is to make watching the gameplay a lot more bearable. Some games have character progression as an inseparable piece of game design that cannot be removed without significant detriment to the overall vision. This is not one of them.

Videos:

That's all! Thank you for watching!

GamesAreSupernice fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Mar 22, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

I thought it was called an Identity Disk.

This game looks really pretty. It helps that I dig the TRON:Legacy esthetic.

I hope we will pilot a lightcycle at some point.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

I thought it was called an Identity Disk.

This game looks really pretty. It helps that I dig the TRON:Legacy esthetic.

I hope we will pilot a lightcycle at some point.

I rarely call things in games what they're supposed to be called, often by force of habit.

We do drive a light-cycle but it's not a Snake clone unfortunately.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

I really love the Tron aesthetic and I think the game is pretty enough, but the resolutions of six years ago aren't doing it any favors.

Also, I would kill for real-world computer viruses being as exciting to deal with as in the Grid. :(

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

HardDisk posted:

I really love the Tron aesthetic and I think the game is pretty enough, but the resolutions of six years ago aren't doing it any favors.

Also, I would kill for real-world computer viruses being as exciting to deal with as in the Grid. :(

I think it looks pretty smooth, all things considered. The only issues I have are with Quorra's face.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Updaaaaaaaaaaaaaaate

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Is this building up to a V8 joke?

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Is this building up to a V8 joke?

I can't make any promises, but if all goes well, my V8® | Vegetables and Fruit Juices - Campbells promotion will go through.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
I was hoping for a car driving episode, but that'll work.

Anywho, actually game-related, while the game does look pretty, it's hard for me to tell the different enemies apart, especially while also needing to dodge and throw at the same time. I guess it's understandable since the theme might not allow for markedly different designs/colors on different enemies, but I'm bad at these things, so when the designs are similar enough it sure doesn't make it easier.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Zanzibar Ham posted:

I was hoping for a car driving episode, but that'll work.

Anywho, actually game-related, while the game does look pretty, it's hard for me to tell the different enemies apart, especially while also needing to dodge and throw at the same time. I guess it's understandable since the theme might not allow for markedly different designs/colors on different enemies, but I'm bad at these things, so when the designs are similar enough it sure doesn't make it easier.

It's not just you, but for the sake of the LP I learned to distinguish them better. It helps that the agile enemies of have giant fins on them.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

I would also like to thank Daft Punk/whoever owns Daft Punk's music for not copyright murdering my second video, if you're out there somewhere. In the ether of webspace.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Tron must've been a pussy

Quiet Python
Nov 8, 2011
Be fair, Tron was fighting multiple versions of that guy while also trying to protect Flynn and not having any convenient abysses to knock them into.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Quiet Python posted:

Be fair, Tron was fighting multiple versions of that guy while also trying to protect Flynn and not having any convenient abysses to knock them into.

That's a good point, I hadn't considered that.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

One of my favorite moments in the game

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
Tron 2.0 also did a good amount of world building too, but that all got thrown in the trash when all the Legacy stuff came out.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Croccers posted:

I cons
Tron 2.0 also did a good amount of world building too, but that all got thrown in the trash when all the Legacy stuff came out.

I considered mentioning 2.0 but decided against it for that reason.

Ben Kasack
Dec 27, 2010
Thanks for playing this game. I had kind of forgotten about it shortly after it was even announced and, despite me being one hell of a Tron nerd, never played it. I love the world of Tron and wish there was more to it.

I love, love love love, Tron 2.0 so much better than Legacy when it comes to story. Don't get me wrong, Legacy had its moments, but I just think everything about 2.0 was more in line with the world of Tron where Legacy was kind of an attempt to simply breath life back into the world. One of the big things 2.0 did was Jet, the MC of the game, started traveling through the internet to get from server to server. Legacy was simply a closed system.

2.0 also showed a corruption spreading from one system to another, and its effects on said systems, till it was finally quarantined and eliminated. THAT is something Legacy missed out on and instead opted for "the one I created trying to usurp me" which it did well, I just think it was a wasted movie opportunity.

The best part of this game to me is the fact it is a prequel to the movie, explaining some things, while other things feel slightly ham fisted.

Regardless, I'm going to be sticking it out and watching this to the very end. Though this is going to make me want to play 2.0 by the end, if not sooner. I haven't played it this year yet...

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Ben Kasack posted:

Thanks for playing this game. I had kind of forgotten about it shortly after it was even announced and, despite me being one hell of a Tron nerd, never played it. I love the world of Tron and wish there was more to it.

I love, love love love, Tron 2.0 so much better than Legacy when it comes to story. Don't get me wrong, Legacy had its moments, but I just think everything about 2.0 was more in line with the world of Tron where Legacy was kind of an attempt to simply breath life back into the world. One of the big things 2.0 did was Jet, the MC of the game, started traveling through the internet to get from server to server. Legacy was simply a closed system.

2.0 also showed a corruption spreading from one system to another, and its effects on said systems, till it was finally quarantined and eliminated. THAT is something Legacy missed out on and instead opted for "the one I created trying to usurp me" which it did well, I just think it was a wasted movie opportunity.

The best part of this game to me is the fact it is a prequel to the movie, explaining some things, while other things feel slightly ham fisted.

Regardless, I'm going to be sticking it out and watching this to the very end. Though this is going to make me want to play 2.0 by the end, if not sooner. I haven't played it this year yet...

In all honesty, I enjoy the story and atmosphere in Evolution more than Legacy, but I think Uprising outclasses them both.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

The last three videos are all done and should be uploaded in the next couple days.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

No Gravitas
Jun 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Well, that got depressing.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

No Gravitas posted:

Well, that got depressing.

Your name is very funny right now.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

End of line.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

I'm surprised the game was this short (less than 4 hours), but regardless it was pretty intriguing while it lasted. Great job!

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Wow, is it that short? I didn't realize.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Shame Tron isn't a franchise that brings money in the gazillions, or else Disney would have done more to it, even if people generally like what comes out from it.

Thanks for showing the game!

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

GamesAreSupernice posted:

Wow, is it that short? I didn't realize.

I ran a quick sum of the videos' length and with generous rounding it was around 2,5h of footage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Certainly can't be accused of overstaying its welcome.

• Locked thread