Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Yeah, places that had previously stayed frozen all year are now starting to undergo the freeze-thaw process and once stable areas are especially prone to rockfall and slides. Even though there's been a ton of frost-wedging they've never had the chance to fall before so it's like a time-bomb waiting to go off. A lot of frozen moraines are starting to melt too, which can lead to landslides. We're seeing it here in Canada, it's actually a huge problem for the Athabasca glacier walk in Jasper because the moraine they built the parking and staging area for the snow-coaches on is likely going to collapse in the near future. Not to mention the glacier itself is receding at an insane rate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
To show that we aren't completely heartless if be all for setting up patreons for the Sherpas. We can pay them for every rich rear end in a top hat they no longer have to take up the mountain

Langolas
Feb 12, 2011

My mustache makes me sexy, not the hat

Did someone ask if the Sherpas are worth 1/2 or 1/3 for the deadpool? Cause I'm taking 6.6666667 if thats the case.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
I think the Sherpas should be worth zero pool points because they're just doing their job and don't deserve to be a part of our macabre game of bingo.

Calling 9 rich assholes with more money than sense.

Langolas
Feb 12, 2011

My mustache makes me sexy, not the hat

Outrail posted:

I think the Sherpas should be worth zero pool points because they're just doing their job and don't deserve to be a part of our macabre game of bingo.

Calling 9 rich assholes with more money than sense.

Fine we'll compromise at 3/5

:boom:

naem
May 29, 2011

Alan Smithee posted:

To show that we aren't completely heartless if be all for setting up patreons for the Sherpas. We can pay them for every rich rear end in a top hat they no longer have to take up the mountain

That would just incentivize Sherpas to toss rich pricks off the cliff although they may do some of this for fun already

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

naem posted:

That would just incentivize Sherpas to toss rich pricks off the cliff although they may do some of this for fun already

Don't get me excited

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

naem posted:

That would just incentivize Sherpas to toss rich pricks off the cliff

I hope your only problem with this is that it is littering.

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot
MY death count excludes sherpas. I don't think we should ridicule their deaths.

Also why do people see this thing and think, "I'mma climb this death trap."?

There's nothing there but despair, exhaustion, and death!

Jim Barris
Aug 13, 2009

Microwaves Mom posted:

MY death count excludes sherpas. I don't think we should ridicule their deaths.

There's nothing there but despair, exhaustion, and death!

Why climb any mountain? Why go out to the woods to camp (and I mean for real not pulling up to a camp site in a state park)? The answer is obvious to put yourself in danger to prove you can overcome it. Doing so brings you a special kind of feeling. It is dangerous, yes, but for some it is worth the danger. I personally have gone camping in the more extreme fashion where you load up a bunch of poo poo into a huge backpack and walk some twenty miles into the woods before you set up camp and it's definitely rewarding in a particular fashion that normal camping isn't. Climbing a mountain like Everest is even more extreme, even more dangerous, then that but I think they're after the same feeling.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Microwaves Mom posted:

Because their neighbour hasn't.

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot

Jim Barris posted:

Why climb any mountain? Why go out to the woods to camp (and I mean for real not pulling up to a camp site in a state park)? The answer is obvious to put yourself in danger to prove you can overcome it. Doing so brings you a special kind of feeling. It is dangerous, yes, but for some it is worth the danger. I personally have gone camping in the more extreme fashion where you load up a bunch of poo poo into a huge backpack and walk some twenty miles into the woods before you set up camp and it's definitely rewarding in a particular fashion that normal camping isn't. Climbing a mountain like Everest is even more extreme, even more dangerous, then that but I think they're after the same feeling.
yeah uhuh,

FrozenVent posted:

Because their neighbour hasn't.
I'm going with this.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

I want to be the first gay black female leader of the ku klux klan to climb Everett

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Alan Smithee posted:

I want to be the first gay black female leader of the ku klux klan to climb Everett

I'm sure a lot of people in the Ku Klux Klan have climbed Everett.

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien
Can we talk about other disasters here, or is this mostly for idiots on mountains

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

10.5 people shall perish

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

EXTREME INSERTION posted:

Can we talk about other disasters here, or is this mostly for idiots on mountains

cave diving is traditional topic, so's x-treem whatever

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

Jim Barris posted:

Lol, if you believe this. If they wanted a challenge they would climb without the assistance of the sherpas. Climbing Everest is just an expensive form of masturbation that often ends in their death.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I watched the Descent for the first time the other day. The first half was really good at being creepy and claustrophobic. The second half was dirty brown water trash.

Are there any caving movies or anything of the sort that convey the terrifying feeling of squeezing through a narrow space under a ton of rock?

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

RCarr posted:

I watched the Descent for the first time the other day. The first half was really good at being creepy and claustrophobic. The second half was dirty brown water trash.

Are there any caving movies or anything of the sort that convey the terrifying feeling of squeezing through a narrow space under a ton of rock?

127 Hours

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Jim Barris you are a dumb rear end, a real stupid horse-donkey.

There is a difference between going on a huge rear end dangerous hike or climb to prove something to yourself or show off, and going on a huge rear end dangerous hike or climb to prove something to other people and also paying someone to come with you and putting their life in danger for you own narcissistic insecurity. If they really wanted 'a challenge' there's plenty of other mountains to climb that don't cost thousands of dollars to access. If they really wanted to 'challenge themselves' they wouldn't have a team of Sherpa servants doing half of the hard work for them.

They just want attention.

Source: I'm an insecure narcissist and have done back country hikes, been to dangerous places and climbed over 6000m for my own boastful pleasure but somehow without putting other people's lives in danger.

The Light Eternal
Jun 12, 2006

A man who dares to waste one hour of time has not discovered the value of life.
One of the mayoral candidates in my city climbed Everest and people don't understand why I think it shows he has no business being mayor.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

There's a lot of snowmobile idiots where I live, they all go out as a huge group, and usually all hit the same slope at the same time, and then you get 5 people dying when an avalanche takes everyone in the group out.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/avalanche-deaths-of-5-snowmobilers-preventable-expert-says-1.3433105

Like how hard is it to take turns so that if an avalanche occurs there's multiple people available to dig the poor fucker out of it?

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien

Picnic Princess posted:

There's a lot of snowmobile idiots where I live, they all go out as a huge group, and usually all hit the same slope at the same time, and then you get 5 people dying when an avalanche takes everyone in the group out.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/avalanche-deaths-of-5-snowmobilers-preventable-expert-says-1.3433105

Like how hard is it to take turns so that if an avalanche occurs there's multiple people available to dig the poor fucker out of it?

I have a feeling that this may be the intersection of snowmobiles and alcohol

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

when is the drat climb? Everest, she needs blood to be satiated or else she will awaken and walk on two legs

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Jim Barris posted:

Why go out to the woods to camp (and I mean for real not pulling up to a camp site in a state park)? The answer is obvious to put yourself in danger to prove you can overcome it.

This is really stupid. Most people don't go backpacking because of the danger. They go backpacking because it's the only way to find solitude in the wilderness and actually experience nature without all the other campers in the same developed campsite you're in, and all their noise and poo poo and drunkeness and screaming children and feeding the contents of their cars to the bears etc. etc.

Wilderness backpacking is fantastic and doesn't have to involve any significant danger. If you're well prepared and either experienced, or with someone experienced, it's probably less dangerous than driving your car for a few hours on the interstate.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
^^: gently caress, your response was shorter and better than mine.

I have a feeling that this may be the intersection of snowmobiles and alcohol

And Albertans.

16 to 17 sledders? Most of the people who died had all the right expensive safety equipment but apparently not the right training, peer pressure, too many people and multiple people waiting to cross a restrictive terrain feature may have played a part?

Not sure why this is relevant to the thread though.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

Alan Smithee posted:

when is the drat climb? Everest, she needs blood to be satiated or else she will awaken and walk on two legs

Most groups get there right around end of March or beginning of April and attempt the summit in early-mid May. We've got a wait.

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot

There are no disasters here, just darwin and mountains.

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien
Well, this seems like as good a thread as any to point out that there was a man called Major Butts on the Titanic

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot

Well, this seems like as good a thread as any to point out that there was a man called Major Butts on the Titanic

hahaha Did he go down with teh ship?

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien

Microwaves Mom posted:

hahaha Did he go down with teh ship?

Sadly, Major Archibald Willingham Butt perished

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Sadly, Major Archibald Willingham Butt perished

At least his spirit lives on in presciently named Michigan tight end, Jake Butt.
https://mobile.twitter.com/jbooty_88
Butt was recently named the best Big Ten tight end.

Blunderstorm
Mar 1, 2016

my grandfather just posts and all i got was this lousy joke, so what
Sherpas should count for 2 deaths since they're the ones accepting money to take rich people up a mountain.

If there were no Sherpas they would do it on their own and we get more death for the death God.

herhehejhrekjashsd
Mar 7, 2016

by zen death robot
nonreg drugged my mom with rufus, fettucine LOL

elwood
Mar 28, 2001

by Smythe
http://www.outsideonline.com/2017426/how-hollywood-filmed-movie-everest

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

Picnic Princess posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rSf9k52bb7I

Pekinduck
May 10, 2008

Turd Burglar posted:

Sherpas should count for 2 deaths since they're the ones accepting money to take rich people up a mountain.

If there were no Sherpas they would do it on their own and we get more death for the death God.

I kinda doubt 99% of the people climbing would do it if they didn't have sherpas to hold their hand though.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe

Pekinduck posted:

I kinda doubt 99% of the people climbing would do it if they didn't have sherpas to hold their hand though.

Let's be honest, if they didn't have locals to pay pittances to, they'd just bring their own slightly-higher paid proles to lug their gear up mountains for them.

When you're dropping 70 grand on the trip, and sherpas are making 5-7 grand of that, you can probably afford to hire someone at 10 grand and then hope they get HAPE somewhere between camp 3 and 4 so you can finish up and leave a nice trail marker for the next group.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

Outrail posted:

Jim Barris you are a dumb rear end, a real stupid horse-donkey.

There is a difference between going on a huge rear end dangerous hike or climb to prove something to yourself or show off, and going on a huge rear end dangerous hike or climb to prove something to other people and also paying someone to come with you and putting their life in danger for you own narcissistic insecurity. If they really wanted 'a challenge' there's plenty of other mountains to climb that don't cost thousands of dollars to access. If they really wanted to 'challenge themselves' they wouldn't have a team of Sherpa servants doing half of the hard work for them.

They just want attention.

Source: I'm an insecure narcissist and have done back country hikes, been to dangerous places and climbed over 6000m for my own boastful pleasure but somehow without putting other people's lives in danger.
I dunno man standing on the highest point in the whole world would be a cool thing to do and if you don't see how that's a draw I don't know what to say