Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Wrecked Angle posted:

So where do CIG go from here? As I see it they either need to seriously fix the PU to at the very least get rid of the gamebreaking bugs and crashes or they need to start showing substantial development of Sq.42.

I don't think they can do the former no matter how much they try, so I'm guessing in the next month we will start seeing very limited 'in-engine' footage from Sq.42.

Looking forward to seeing more :gary: and who knows, maybe we'll get a comedy :scully: smilie or something pretty soon?

They're going to push a token update to the PU every now and then as ship assets get completed, which is sadly enough to keep the spergs happy.

Other than that they're desperately trying to poo poo out SQ42 this year but as far as anyone can tell they literally have nothing other than a script finished.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

Wafflz posted:

This is a good new feature in the star citizen thread.

I gotta say the recommendation of greenshot ITT with it able to quickly upload to imgr has really made this extremely easy (and fun!) to do.

Sushi in Yiddish fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Mar 5, 2016

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

spacetoaster posted:

So I wonder how prominent Goons and Derek Smart will be in this documentary? They will mention us. Might not say "goons" and/or "Derek Smart". But we will be mentioned.

They won't dare. There is a moratorium on never - ever - mentioning "smart" in anything, remember?

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

This is good for Bitcoin Star Citizen because

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

$70 won't even buy you a question mark in Star Citizen

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Its even more appropriate thanks to all the railroading that will take place in Chris' opus.

Wuxi
Apr 3, 2012

Sushi in Yiddish posted:

I can however buy you a ship*

*actual game not included

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Mr.Tophat posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLwPMFrAbP0

GO

GO DOWN TO YOUR PUBLIC

YOU ROMAN STATEMENTS LET IT BURN

No gameplay shown whatsoever. Next up, Warhammer, and if they are doing ok in any way, Star Citizen looks real bad. As always.

What is the time stamp for the Star Citizen section? I missed it but I want to watch it so I can miss it again on an actual stream.

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

Shitizems are such delicate little flowers. If you don't word your title just right and apologize a dozen times for not finding the game perfect get ready for the stimpire treatment.

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

G0RF posted:

What is the time stamp for the Star Citizen section? I missed it but I want to watch it so I can miss it again on an actual stream.

Roughly 2h30min in

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

WHEN WE DON'T KNOW WHO TO HATE, WE HATE OURSELVES.-SA USER NATION (AKA ME!)

Berious posted:

Shitizems are such delicate little flowers. If you don't word your title just right and apologize a dozen times for not finding the game perfect get ready for the stimpire treatment.

Yea he forgot the paragraph required that explains in detail how much you love and appreciate cig

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Wrecked Angle posted:

So where do CIG go from here? As I see it they either need to seriously fix the PU to at the very least get rid of the gamebreaking bugs and crashes or they need to start showing substantial development of Sq.42.

I don't think they can do the former no matter how much they try, so I'm guessing in the next month we will start seeing very limited 'in-engine' footage from Sq.42.

Looking forward to seeing more :gary: and who knows, maybe we'll get a comedy :scully: smilie or something pretty soon?

I imagine the first thing they need to do is actually demonstrate gameplay.

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

Skellybones posted:

It's like when you have to present the group project in high school but nobody did any work.

Guys they can't show a single second of gameplay because that would be spoilers. If even a single frame of footage is shown then Chris' masterpiece can't be savored fresh like the vision says it must be.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

I am very excited for Q4 2016.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I imagine the first thing they need to do is actually demonstrate gameplay.

They did that CitCon, remember?

Ben confirmed that's gameplay

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer

Dusty Lens posted:

I am very excited for Q4 2016.

It might actually beat Q4 2015 for Star Citizen hilarity at this rate.

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
did CIG announce a sq42 release date?

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

They did that CitCon, remember?

Ben confirmed that's gameplay

Well walking simulators are pretty hot right now

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?
I believe some of the extreme citizens are starting to panic. Deep inside, on some basic, almost cellular level, they know how this shitshow is going to end. That's why they go ballistic on cancer patients and scream Derek's name more times per second than the PTU can render frames. It's pure panic, and I gotta tell you, it tastes sweet. This year is going to be an all-you-can-eat buffet of cult tears.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Madcosby posted:

did CIG announce a sq42 release date?

Pretty much they did in the parp trailer with having 2016 in it.

But maybe they'll edit it like their ToS.

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

10 months to go and no actual gameplay footage from Squadron 42. Not including the Morrow tour since a high-res direct stream was never uploaded which is still utterly baffling. This poo poo does not happen for games that have been announced for so long.

Milky Moor posted:

I knew Fuzzy Modem like literally a decade ago on a different forum - just confirmed, same website and everything - and he was completely mental then, too. He was always really weird. He once created a thread where he basically bragged about cutting his dick open when loving his wife (it got caught on the edge of her panties or something).
What the gently caress. Is there anyone active in that community who does not have mental health issues?

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Ash1138 posted:

10 months to go and no actual gameplay footage from Squadron 42. Not including the Morrow tour since a high-res direct stream was never uploaded which is still utterly baffling. This poo poo does not happen for games that have been announced for so long.
What the gently caress. Is there anyone active in that community who does not have mental health issues?

Just our own sleeper agents I think.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Ash1138 posted:

In hindsight, it's not really surprising that someone who gets physically ill when people say mean things about Sandi Gardiner would turn out to have mental health issues.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Berious posted:

From Ben's perspective it actually makes a lot of sense :smith:

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

XK posted:

The code base is such a tremendous mess that touching one thing breaks ten other things. People have been posting that for at least six months, but now, with this latest update, it seems like it's accelerating. We may be crossing the line where the bugs become exponential, and it is impossible to add any new features or change anything.

Who the gently caress ok'd turning on "physicalized eva"? It just makes every bit of this game's jankyness look 10x worse. It looks like your dead body has been stuck in a space suit being remote controlled by a six year old.

There's a term for this, "The tendency towards irreducible number of errors." And yeah, they're there. I wish I could see their code, it would be months of lols.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Mythical_Man-Month#The_tendency_towards_irreducible_number_of_errors.

Haskell9
Sep 23, 2008

post it live
The Great Twist

EminusSleepus posted:

clearly you don't know anything about open game development, they have what they call Sunk Cost Fallacy Goggles as shown below:

They're like a wallet-opening version of the Pyro's goggles

Ag Bengip posted:

Heh, I've travelled past that town a few times

EDIT:

I'm not so sure about the stress on both syllables. If you asked the locals it would probably be more like 'PEOW-ahhp'

I live near a town called Puyallup that has a similar issue. Also I formally admit I was wrong about fuzzy. gently caress me sideways what a loony tune. I still think Zecumbe is pulling a Toblerone on everyone though.

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

The startup sequence for the Solar Plebian ships should include the old dialup modem connection sound.

It's on the list.

https://trello.com/c/SOQ30xuv/72-ship-startup-sequence-immersive-cutscene

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Scruffpuff posted:

That might be giving them a little too much credit...

Berious posted:

And they tapped into the popularity of psychological horror games by making sure every character in the Morrow Tour looked like something out of a loving Cronenberg film.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Atreiden posted:

Roughly 2h30min in
Thank you. Just watched it.

Wow- he drove home the point ScruffPuff emphasized earlier -- that the game is being shaped in response to the backers (and griefers) feedback and actions in game more than being developed according to a big design plan...

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Star Citizen developer guy: "The community are the most important designer in the whole company."

Well there's your problem.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

The tendency to mistake seeing your own hands climb a ladder (to use one example) for immersion is very common, but only with a certain type of individual. I used to play Left 4 Dead with a friend of mine for years. When Left 4 Dead 2 came out, this guy started bitching around the clock: "They're moving backwards, man, they're moving backwards!" I had no idea what he was talking about, so I requested an explanation. "In the first game you can look down and see your feet - in this one you can't! They're moving backwards, man!"

Two things bothered me about this. First of all, seeing your own body in a FPS is a style choice, not an indication of whether or not the tech is "moving forward". An example of technology moving forward would be photography. Initially black and white by necessity, moving to color, higher-res, etc. - and although the earlier styles are still valid from an artistic perspective, it was an advancement in tech that allowed the newer forms to exist. So he was wrong on that front.

Secondarily, and this one is much harder for some people to grasp for some reason, in general day-to-day life, your brain edits out things it doesn't need to see. When you are walking down the street, and you step on a rock, when you look down to see what you stepped on, you don't really notice your feet. Yeah, they're there, and you can see them, particularly if you're focusing on them, but if you're trying to find the rock you stepped on, you're focused on the ground and nothing else. It's more than just brain edits. If you're writing on a piece of paper, how often are you thinking "drat, I can't see what I'm writing, my loving hand is in the way!" Never, that's how often, because your brain edits out your hand, and you also move your head, neck, and eyes subtly around to make sure your hand is not in the way of what you're trying to read/write. Ask a piano player if, when he looks down, he sees piano keys, or if his hands obstruct his view.

This applies to complex actions. How many of you can even remember driving to work in the morning, never mind that you walked to the door, used a key, opened it, sat down, put the key in the ignition, turned it, moved the transmission into reverse, etc. No, you just drove to work, with a huge number of subconscious motions.

My point is that the path to maximum immersion is by eliminating the very same distractions in the game that our brains eliminate in life. Everything should be fast, responsive, and seamless. Nothing should slow you down, or take control away to show a stupid animation. I should never have a reason to let go of the mouse and take my hands off the keyboard, and that's exactly what immersion animations do. The real-life equivalent would be a seizure - for a few moments, I am not in control of my body, so I can "disconnect" and just wait for it to pass.

It makes me wonder if some form of autism actually does affect the part of people's brains that handles this, so that, for example, an autistic backer actually can't drive a car without being violently aware of where his hands are, how they move to put in the key, how his foot is pushing the pedal, etc. It would explain a lot about why some of these people think these animations are so loving great - it mirrors the effect that autism is having on their day-to-day lives.

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Mirificus posted:

In hindsight, it's not really surprising that someone who gets physically ill when people say mean things about Sandi Gardiner would turn out to have mental health issues.

Scruffpuff posted:

Truly a sad state of affairs when your fans are so nutty that they're assumed to be a trolls who are trying just a little too hard.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/321085/my-complaint

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

Scruffpuff posted:

The tendency to mistake seeing your own hands climb a ladder (to use one example) for immersion is very common, but only with a certain type of individual. I used to play Left 4 Dead with a friend of mine for years. When Left 4 Dead 2 came out, this guy started bitching around the clock: "They're moving backwards, man, they're moving backwards!" I had no idea what he was talking about, so I requested an explanation. "In the first game you can look down and see your feet - in this one you can't! They're moving backwards, man!"

Two things bothered me about this. First of all, seeing your own body in a FPS is a style choice, not an indication of whether or not the tech is "moving forward". An example of technology moving forward would be photography. Initially black and white by necessity, moving to color, higher-res, etc. - and although the earlier styles are still valid from an artistic perspective, it was an advancement in tech that allowed the newer forms to exist. So he was wrong on that front.

Secondarily, and this one is much harder for some people to grasp for some reason, in general day-to-day life, your brain edits out things it doesn't need to see. When you are walking down the street, and you step on a rock, when you look down to see what you stepped on, you don't really notice your feet. Yeah, they're there, and you can see them, particularly if you're focusing on them, but if you're trying to find the rock you stepped on, you're focused on the ground and nothing else. It's more than just brain edits. If you're writing on a piece of paper, how often are you thinking "drat, I can't see what I'm writing, my loving hand is in the way!" Never, that's how often, because your brain edits out your hand, and you also move your head, neck, and eyes subtly around to make sure your hand is not in the way of what you're trying to read/write. Ask a piano player if, when he looks down, he sees piano keys, or if his hands obstruct his view.

This applies to complex actions. How many of you can even remember driving to work in the morning, never mind that you walked to the door, used a key, opened it, sat down, put the key in the ignition, turned it, moved the transmission into reverse, etc. No, you just drove to work, with a huge number of subconscious motions.

My point is that the path to maximum immersion is by eliminating the very same distractions in the game that our brains eliminate in life. Everything should be fast, responsive, and seamless. Nothing should slow you down, or take control away to show a stupid animation. I should never have a reason to let go of the mouse and take my hands off the keyboard, and that's exactly what immersion animations do. The real-life equivalent would be a seizure - for a few moments, I am not in control of my body, so I can "disconnect" and just wait for it to pass.

It makes me wonder if some form of autism actually does affect the part of people's brains that handles this, so that, for example, an autistic backer actually can't drive a car without being violently aware of where his hands are, how they move to put in the key, how his foot is pushing the pedal, etc. It would explain a lot about why some of these people think these animations are so loving great - it mirrors the effect that autism is having on their day-to-day lives.

drat.

Literal autism chariots.

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Scruffpuff posted:

If you're writing on a piece of paper, how often are you thinking "drat, I can't see what I'm writing, my loving hand is in the way!"
I'm left-handed so all the time :smith:

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Ash1138 posted:

I'm left-handed so all the time :smith:

:lol: Yeah I thought of that when I wrote it, but thought mentioning it would muddy the flow. I probably should have put that in there. Left-handed writing also smudges the ink :(

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
Holy poo poo they didn't show a second of it. I hope it's things like this that start the revolt moving even faster. They can pull this stuff on their own shows that only the hopelessly invested and goons watch, but they're not going to get way with it for long at mainstream events

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Scruffpuff posted:

:lol: Yeah I thought of that when I wrote it, but thought mentioning it would muddy the flow. I probably should have put that in there. Left-handed writing also smudges the ink :(
That's why I write in short columns, moving from the right side of the page to the left. Silly, yes, but no smudging!

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

Sushi in Yiddish posted:

I had forgotten about the heady days of selling jpegs of question marks. People loving scrambled to buy them too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

TTerrible posted:

Holy poo poo they didn't show a second of it. I hope it's things like this that start the revolt moving even faster. They can pull this stuff on their own shows that only the hopelessly invested and goons watch, but they're not going to get way with it for long at mainstream events

Yeah and it really stands out when every other company had gameplay to show. So now they have had like three different gaming-magazines visiting them without showing them any gameplay and now a lifeshow where they send someone to just talk about the game. I really hope the gaming media starts to pick up on this and that the backers with any sense left starts to question this shitshow.

• Locked thread