Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
You should chainsaw pain elementals too, all else being equal :eng101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canadianclassic
Nov 3, 2004

Xenomrph posted:

I just beat the level Refueling Base in Doom II on Ultra Violence. That level can go gently caress itself; here's a video for those that need a refresher:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_XxbzcJS70

It's pretty straightforward if you go into it with a good stock of ammo, but I was going into it with about 30 bullets, 17 shotgun shells, 2 rockets, and 0 energy cells, which means I was using the loving chainsaw on like 70% of the enemies. Basically if it wasn't a Pain Elemental, Revenant, Arachnotron, Chaingunner, or Cyberdemon, I was chainsawing it in order to bank enough ammo to carry over to the next level. That means I was dealing chainsaw justice to well over 200 enemies.

:smithicide:

Yeah gently caress this level. I did a playthrough recently and ran into the exact same problem.. Ended up running past a ton of enemies cuz there's no way I was going to be able to kill them all with what I had.

e: but it's got my favorite DOOM music so I like it in that regard...

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Mung Dynasty posted:

I honestly don't feel like Doom II's Ultraviolence is very well balanced, and this exact level is why. gently caress it.

The icing on the poo poo cake is that the next level starts you off in a crossfire from like 15 enemies right from jump, meaning there's no good place to save at the start of the level. I got my rear end kicked which meant I had to reload a save from the prior level and replay the last quarter of the level all over again, making sure I saved before hitting the exit button.

:suicide:

crondaily posted:

You remember just how truly bad Doom 3 was after watching that video. Long live D1/2.
I still really like Doom3, even if it's a different sort of game than Doom 1 and 2. Maybe I'm more tolerant of genre shifts because I'm an Alien fan where that kind of thing happens with every sequel.

Doom 3 scared the gently caress out of me, it was like a really well crafted demonic haunted house, with a great balance of frantic combat and insane tension.
The flow of Doom 2's gameplay is pretty different from the first game, Doom 1 has a good amount of tension and scary dark alcoves and "gotcha" monster closets. Doom 2 was the one that introduced enormous hordes of enemies that you mow down with the chaingun.
In that way Doom 3 really is a refined version of the original game's sensibilities, using contemporary game design technology.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

I also really dig Doom 3, though I'd love to see more 90s FPS design stuff that got lost along the way make a comeback too. Like levels with a few directions to explore, faster pace, etc.

Ultra-Violence levels where you have a room with 20 Pinky Demons or something, that's not what the series is about to me. Or at least, I'd rather see a bit more of that atmosphere and more creative monster placement.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Heavy Metal posted:

I also really dig Doom 3, though I'd love to see more 90s FPS design stuff that got lost along the way make a comeback too. Like levels with a few directions to explore, faster pace, etc.
Related to this, how were the modern Rise of the Triad and Shadow Warrior remakes? I own both on Steam but haven't had a chance to play them yet - my PC largely poo poo the bed and I haven't been able to rebuild it yet due to other expenses.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Xenomrph posted:

Related to this, how were the modern Rise of the Triad and Shadow Warrior remakes? I own both on Steam but haven't had a chance to play them yet - my PC largely poo poo the bed and I haven't been able to rebuild it yet due to other expenses.

Shadow warrior was amazing.

Bungbroy
Dec 14, 2004

Sweet teats of the godbung, lend me thy broys
Rise of the Triad was pretty bad, though to be fair I never finished it. It's probably worth 5 bucks. Shadow Warrior was great though! The katana was so satisfying and the guns were decent too. Had interesting enemies and the levels were pretty. I really need to replay it.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Xenomrph posted:

The Shadow Warrior remake is a bit more like Painkiller in style, big open arenas etc. The ROTT remake is okay, it's a bit oldschoolish in design though it has a bunch of crazy jumping puzzles with traps that can get a bit annoying. Neither one really captures 90s FPS design for me.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
That last boss fight in Shadow Warrior was like an hour long. The boss fights were so satisfying.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sUfTNLIZlyo
Watch it, YOU HAVE THE TOUCH!, YOU HAVE THE POWER!

Heres a alittle more serious trailer if you cant handle the power.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ezugAzc18I

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Feb 28, 2016

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

So apparently the people hacking the alpha code discovered that Retard 4 is going to include a bunch of the old cheat codes, because I guess "IDDQD" was on the list of most common things the focus group of thirtysomethings remembered fondly about Doom

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Xenomrph posted:

Though I never played the original, Shadow Warrior '13 isn't actually a remake, it's a reimagining. That said, it's real good, quite substantial for how cheap it was, and had some shockingly good writing. Though like Heavy Metal said, most of the combat encounters block of sections of the level with magic walls or whatever, arena style.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Xenomrph posted:

I've played a bit of RoTT, and I'd say that if you liked the original you'll probably like this one too. I was never that big into RoTT though - it had awesome weapons, but I found the levels pretty repetitive and irritating after a little while.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.

Xenomrph posted:

I just beat the level Refueling Base in Doom II on Ultra Violence. That level can go gently caress itself; here's a video for those that need a refresher:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_XxbzcJS70

It's pretty straightforward if you go into it with a good stock of ammo, but I was going into it with about 30 bullets, 17 shotgun shells, 2 rockets, and 0 energy cells, which means I was using the loving chainsaw on like 70% of the enemies. Basically if it wasn't a Pain Elemental, Revenant, Arachnotron, Chaingunner, or Cyberdemon, I was chainsawing it in order to bank enough ammo to carry over to the next level. That means I was dealing chainsaw justice to well over 200 enemies.

:smithicide:

You weren't pistol starting every level? No True Doomer would carry over weapons!

(I don't even play above the middle difficulty very often...)

Linguica posted:

So apparently the people hacking the alpha code discovered that Retard 4 is going to include a bunch of the old cheat codes, because I guess "IDDQD" was on the list of most common things the focus group of thirtysomethings remembered fondly about Doom

Makes sense, Doom 1 was objectively a bad game.

Keiya fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Feb 28, 2016

Arthe Xavier
Apr 22, 2007

Artificial Stupidity

Xenomrph posted:

Rise of the Triad was pretty mediocre - I mean, it's still worth a playthrough, but don't expect too much. Shadow Warrior, on the other hand, was downright amazing. It had that certain oomph to it that most FPS's lack. Heck, it's a better game than the original.

I am also playing Doom again, but mostly community-made WADs. I'll never grow tired of the gameplay - the speed, and the clarity ( of the visuals ) is still something to admire.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Xenomrph posted:

Shadow Warrior was pretty great, and it's sequel is looking to be amazing

Mung Dynasty
Jul 19, 2003

Why do the peasants slave while the emperor gets to eat all the mung?!
Counterpoint: the guns in Shadow Warrior all feel pissweak and the game locks you in bland arena rooms until you kill all the enemies.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Mung Dynasty posted:

I honestly don't feel like Doom II's Ultraviolence is very well balanced, and this exact level is why. gently caress it.
If they wanted to be real assholes they could have replaced all the imps in the courtyard with gatling gunners, but they decided not to.

Xenomrph posted:

Doom 3 scared the gently caress out of me, it was like a really well crafted demonic haunted house, with a great balance of frantic combat and insane tension.
The flow of Doom 2's gameplay is pretty different from the first game, Doom 1 has a good amount of tension and scary dark alcoves and "gotcha" monster closets. Doom 2 was the one that introduced enormous hordes of enemies that you mow down with the chaingun.
In that way Doom 3 really is a refined version of the original game's sensibilities, using contemporary game design technology.
Doom 2 was what it was because the requirements bumped up a half-PC generation (from 386 2mb of ram to 486 and 4-8mb of ram) and it was to be introduced on CD for box copies, so the level designers were able to go wild. I'd imagine if they didn't have such space and memory constraints on the first game a lot of the levels would really have had hordes.

Anime Schoolgirl fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Feb 28, 2016

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Mung Dynasty posted:

Ultraviolence isn't supposed to be balanced, it was supposed to be for experts only. And Nightmare is just utterly unfair. Turns out after people play the game for 10 years striaght or whatever though, what's supposed to be experts only becomes their new normal.

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
My posting is like I Love Lucy without the funny bits. Basically, WAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Mung Dynasty posted:

Counterpoint: the guns in Shadow Warrior all feel pissweak and the game locks you in bland arena rooms until you kill all the enemies.

Yeah I was hyped for the shadow warrior remake, but after seeing some lets plays I ended up not buying it because arena fighting in FPS games gets old real fast. However, the story and characters in the game was surprisingly well done, and entertaining.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

I wonder what the limit on boxes and barrels is in SnapMap. I wanna make a maze and/or fort that'll be freakin' sweet.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Mung Dynasty posted:

the guns were alright and the actual gameplay was fun, so arenas were never much of an issue

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Johnny Joestar posted:

the guns were alright and the actual gameplay was fun, so arenas were never much of an issue

I never actually noticed the arenas until the last level that literally locks you in an arena. Prior to that I was having to much fun.

HATECUBE
Mar 2, 2007

I had no idea project brutality was not the same as brutal doom. Thanks thread, I'll play that after I finish bd!

Also picked up dark project out of respect for thief and the lighting engine. Were there any other great mods for 3 (other than phobos I guess)?

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
video game movies are absolutely revolting and if you defend them youre a nasty fat turd

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

echronorian posted:

video game movies are absolutely revolting and if you defend them youre a nasty fat turd

If you didn't enjoy the Doom, Silent Hill films or the Resident evil films, you may be taking your films a bit to seriously. Watch them while drunk.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
When I went to see the Silent Hill movie I happened to be the only person who bought a ticket that night. drat near poo poo myself with that much space and darkness. :v:

Mung Dynasty
Jul 19, 2003

fishmech posted:

Ultraviolence isn't supposed to be balanced, it was supposed to be for experts only. And Nightmare is just utterly unfair. Turns out after people play the game for 10 years striaght or whatever though, what's supposed to be experts only becomes their new normal.

Except Ultimate Doom's UV works really well because the larger enemy count includes dudes that drop ammo, keeping you stocked for the increased amount of things to use that ammo on. It's very well done and keeps you in the zone.

Doom II added a bunch of enemies to the roster that don't drop ammo, which becomes a problem in UV.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

dogstile posted:

If you didn't enjoy the Doom, Silent Hill films or the Resident evil films, you may be taking your films a bit to seriously. Watch them while drunk.
The Silent Hill movie is surprisingly solid.

I maintain that the Doom movie is a competent generic sci fi action movie with above average acting, action, and practical effects, even if it's a bad Doom movie.

Likewise the first Resident Evil movie is a pretty sweet generic zombie movie, even if it's a bad Resident Evil movie.
The RE sequels are good as mindless popcorn entertainment of varying quality from movie to movie, even if they aren't high art.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Only best part of the Doom movie was the FPS segment near the end. How cool would it been for the whole movie to be that?

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Starhawk64 posted:

Only best part of the Doom movie was the FPS segment near the end. How cool would it been for the whole movie to be that?

That was the original plan, IIRC. I remember the director talking with equal pride and irritation about how they put together that sequence - it was a pretty big undertaking at the time.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Xenomrph posted:

Like others said ROTT isn't terrible and feels kinda old-school, but the levels and platforming stuff gets really old.

Shadow Warrior was pretty good and I'm really looking forward to Shadow Warrior 2 which is focusing on co-op.

dogstile posted:

For all it changed from the game's plot, the Silent Hill films at least kinda felt like the game. Which I guess is easier to do with horror than other genres.

Resident Evil, Mario Bros, etc. never really even came close to what the games were about.

I guess Mortal Kombat was okay :cheeky:

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Keiya posted:

You weren't pistol starting every level? No True Doomer would carry over weapons!

(I don't even play above the middle difficulty very often...)

God, you may as well be pistol-starting Refueling Base, since The Pit has something like 5 rocket boxes as the only substantial ammo pickup. The rest are things like scattered clips/4-shells and enemy pickups. I don't 100% Refueling Base anymore. unless I need to for the next level.

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

If they wanted to be real assholes they could have replaced all the imps in the courtyard with gatling gunners, but they decided not to.

Doom 2 was what it was because the requirements bumped up a half-PC generation (from 386 2mb of ram to 486 and 4-8mb of ram) and it was to be introduced on CD for box copies, so the level designers were able to go wild. I'd imagine if they didn't have such space and memory constraints on the first game a lot of the levels would really have had hordes.

I could see that. Maps like Limbo look like they ran into a wall. That one could be cleared out relatively quickly, but results in a lot of long backtracking, making me think they wanted to add more monsters/traps before hitting restrictions.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

dogstile posted:

Mortal Kombat and Street Fighter are both great.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Holy poo poo this is so much better :eyepop:

I love how dark the first one is, but I'm overall partial to the second and its throwback to the OG doom covers.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Details on multiplayer modes and the stupid powerups (no microtransactions, effectively burn cards from titanfall)

https://bethesda.net/#en/events/game/doom-hack-modules-and-warpath/2016/02/22/80

Details on snapmap and co-op modes

https://bethesda.net/?hootPostID=17...t/2016/02/26/83

quote:

Welcome to Onslaught, one of the dozens of modes created by the development team using SnapMap – DOOM’s powerful but easy-to-use game and level editor. In Onslaught, four players work together (while competing for resources) to stop wave after wave of progressively tougher demons. In between levels, we’d warp to a store to spend our credits on better weapons and power-ups. It was during these fleeting trips away from the battlefield (with a timer counting down the seconds before the next wave would begin) that we’d engage in some light strategizing – one of us might grab a Combat Shotgun, another might swap out his Chaingun for a Rocket Launcher. Then we’d hop back to the level and the frenetic firefight would begin anew. One of us might hold his ground by the entrance; another would guard the exit; a third roamed around picking off demons as needed; a fourth spent some credits to spawn a barrier that helps divert and diminish the demonic flow. But mostly we were madly rushing around the arena, shouting and laughing and shooting and, eventually, dying.

I'm a HUGE fan of co-op v horde modes like in Unreal and Halo, so this makes me very happy. Being able to easily throw together doom co-op maps in SnapMap is gonna be pretty sweet.

Halo had Forge and Firefight, but you couldn't forge on firefight maps. But you can snapmap to make an onslaught map :getin:

Mung Dynasty
Jul 19, 2003

Zaphod42 posted:

Holy poo poo this is so much better :eyepop:

I love how dark the first one is, but I'm overall partial to the second and its throwback to the OG doom covers.

The first one reminds me of the old print ads for Doom, which were all low-key and cool.

They're both good, though. The second one retains the demon looking back at the viewer. Always loved that dude.

Also I'm going to buy Retard 4 because there's never been an id Software or Doom game I didn't like.

crondaily
Nov 27, 2006

Mung Dynasty posted:

The first one reminds me of the old print ads for Doom, which were all low-key and cool.

They're both good, though. The second one retains the demon looking back at the viewer. Always loved that dude.

Also I'm going to buy Retard 4 because there's never been an id Software or Doom game I didn't like.

I just hope the multiplayer community on PS4 lasts longer than 2 months :suspense:

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Agreed on Onslaught. I play more co-op games these days, and being able to slaughter stuff with buds sounds fun.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
For the doom cover they should do a homage to the weirdest Quake ad ever made:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Ddraig posted:

For the doom cover they should do a homage to the weirdest Quake ad ever made:

:wtc:

virtual reality! :eyepop: Two player action over modem!