Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Hobo Pyro posted:

burger king. when was the last time you got high and immediately needed burger king.

Absolutely never. You go to the filipino place further down the block to get some pancit and lumpia and some bbq, remembering to take the meat off the skewer this time.

I can't even think of a thing that would pop into my head when I think of burger king. Then again all I'd eat as a kid was fries because the burgs were too big for a little 10 yo Wedemeyer's tummy.

Has anyone thrown National Geographic into the pool or are we still waiting to see how bad it gets?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

VikingSkull posted:

Basically, if you say American car manufacturers are "complete poo poo" in TYOOL 2016 you're saying basically the same thing that your dad did in 1981 when he said Japanese cars are cheap steel that rusts and will never take market share from GM

otoh chrysler

Literal Nazi Furry
Jan 27, 2008

Swastika - Helvetica - Ikea
Last night I dreamt of Adolf searching for Anne.
I lay on my back
standing alone in the corner watching the girls dance.

I'm on crystal meth.
I piss in my pants.

Hobo Pyro posted:

burger king. when was the last time you got high and immediately needed burger king.

burger king delivered to where I was in colorado and the weed was really cheap so that was fairly frequently

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
I like how circling the drain= brands you don't like. It's a good metric

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Winners is starting to look more and more like K Mart afaic

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

When was the last time anyone ate at Shoney's? Now there's a company that's slowly rotating towards oblivion.

Also, Old Country Buffet.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan
We have a 2005 Mitsubishi Endeavor we bought nearly new (it had 400 miles on it). We've put 150,000 thousand miles on it and, thanks to routine maintenance, it has never given us any problems. Is it still a foreign car if it was made at a factory in Illinois?

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Tubesock Holocaust posted:

When was the last time anyone ate at Shoney's? Now there's a company that's slowly rotating towards oblivion.

Why would the twin cities require 10 old country buffets? There is only 3 left :qq:

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Their food quality declined so much over the last few years that it felt like I was eating poo poo straight out of a package that they just tossed in a warming pan.

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

Darth123123 posted:

Why would the twin cities require 10 old country buffets? There is only 3 left :qq:

One of the 3 is a few minutes from my house :getin:

Just kidding theres a chinese buffet a block from OCB that is the superior option.

BigBoss
Jan 26, 2012

by Lowtax

A new batch of people turn 65 every day...

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Captain Yossarian posted:

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

Professor Shark posted:

There used to be some reasonably good deals on clothing there but now half the store is just stocked with bed bath and beyond reject items and the men's clothing section is like 1/20th of the floor space.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
Whatever happened to Hannspree?

At one time I though they were a pretty popular monitor maker, i have one of their TVs I like well enough, but they used to be a brand I saw in various office stores and online outlets almost all the time. Now I don't really see anything of them in the US market.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Man I used to tear up the Shoneys breakfast buffet when I was a we tyke

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp
Here's a great article on Target's monumental gently caress up in Canada.

http://www.canadianbusiness.com/the-last-days-of-target-canada/

quote:

The corporation’s entry into Canada was uncharacteristically bold—not just for Target, but for any retailer. Under Steinhafel, the company paid $1.8 billion for the leases to the entire Zellers chain in 2011 and formulated a plan to open 124 locations by the end of 2013. Not only that, but the chain expected to be profitable within its first year of operations.

Strange things started happening in 2012, once ordering began for the pending launch. Items with long lead times coming from overseas were stalled—products weren’t fitting into shipping containers as expected, or tariff codes were missing or incomplete. Merchandise that made it to a distribution centre couldn’t be processed for shipping to a store. Other items weren’t able to fit properly onto store shelves. What appeared to be isolated fires quickly became a raging inferno threatening to destroy the company’s supply chain.

It didn’t take long for Target to figure out the underlying cause of the breakdown: The data contained within the company’s supply chain software, which governs the movement of inventory, was riddled with flaws. At the very start, an untold number of mistakes were made, and the company spent months trying to recover from them. In order to stock products, the company had to enter information about each item into SAP. There could be dozens of fields for a single product. For a single product, such as a blender, there might be fields for the manufacturer, the model, the UPC, the dimensions, the weight, how many can fit into a case for shipping and so on. Typically, this information is retrieved from vendors before Target employees put it into SAP. The system requires correct data to function properly and ensure products move as anticipated.

A team assigned to investigate the problem discovered an astounding number of errors. Product dimensions would be in inches, not centimetres or entered in the wrong order: width by height by length, instead of, say, length by width by height. Sometimes the wrong currency was used. Item descriptions were vague. Important information was missing. There were myriad typos. “You name it, it was wrong,” says a former employee. “It was a disaster.”

The foot traffic in the early days was more than expected, which was encouraging, but it didn’t take long for consumers to start complaining on social media about empty shelves. “Target in Guelph, please stock up and fill the shelves,” wrote one aggrieved shopper on Facebook. “How can I or anyone purchase if there is nothing left for me to buy?” Target told the media that it was overwhelmed by demand and made assurances that it was improving the accuracy of product deliveries. The reality was that Target was still struggling with data quality problems that were hampering the supply chain, and it didn’t have time to address the root causes before opening another wave of stores.

By fall of 2013, Target’s three distribution centres—approximately four million square feet in all—were overflowing with goods. Tractor-trailers sat idling in the yards, waiting to be unloaded. The situation got so bad that Target scrambled to rent a handful of storage facilities to accommodate all of the inventory flooding in. The process of determining which goods to send to these rented facilities was haphazard, making it difficult to track things down later. “It was like a massive black hole,” says a former employee. Another recalls feeling shocked when visiting the rental warehouse in Vancouver. “It was the most rickety, Podunk thing you can imagine,” says the former employee, likening it to the treacherous labyrinthine underworld in Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom. American expats, accustomed to the efficiency of the U.S. operations, were flabbergasted. Waves of senior staff were flown in from Minneapolis, but because they were unfamiliar with the technology Target Canada used, there wasn’t much they could do.

The issues at the distribution centres caused havoc downstream. Stores might end up with an abundance of some products and a dearth of others. The auto-replenishment system, which keeps track of what a store has in stock, wasn’t functioning properly, either. Like many other parts of retail, replenishment is an exacting science that can go haywire without correct data. At Target Canada, the technology relied on having the exact dimensions of every product and every shelf in order to calculate whether employees need to pull more products to fill an empty rack. Much of that data was still incorrect, and therefore the system couldn’t be relied upon to make accurate calculations. The problem became immediately apparent when Target opened its first three test stores. Fisher made the call to shut off the system and replenish manually. That meant store employees had to literally walk the floor and check each shelf—a laborious, error-laden process. (Auto-replenishment wasn’t switched back on until later that year.)

To add even more headaches, the point-of-sale system was malfunctioning. The self-checkouts gave incorrect change. The cash terminals took unusually long to boot up and sometimes froze. Items wouldn’t scan, or the POS returned the incorrect price. Sometimes a transaction would appear to complete, and the customer would leave the store—but the payment never actually went through.

This is what the stores looked like most of the time:

Bulk Vanderhuge has a new favorite as of 23:50 on Mar 5, 2016

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
"Excuse me are the items in this bin waaaay over there also 70% off?"
"Sure."

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
How's Schlotsky's doing in the rest of the country? There were like two Las Vegas stores, the first one the franchiser got straight up evicted and the second one just closed. The second one always did have the same feeling of impending death that Kmart always has. I like their sandwiches.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

Professor Shark posted:

I actually stopped at a k Mart here because of this thread. A car crashed through the front doors months ago, and instead of fixing it, they have a plywood "wall" with a door set in it lol

XYZ
Aug 31, 2001

I actually stopped at a k Mart here because of this thread. A car crashed through the front doors months ago, and instead of fixing it, they have a plywood "wall" with a door set in it lol

because why the gently caress would you fix a k-mart?

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

XYZ posted:

because why the gently caress would you fix a k-mart?

I thought that, but just close it, is my opinion. I mean they went through the work of putting a sliding motion door or whatever in the middle of a piece of plywood. It was pretty great honestly :)

WescottF1
Oct 21, 2000
Forums Veteran

CubanMissile posted:

How's Schlotsky's doing in the rest of the country? There were like two Las Vegas stores, the first one the franchiser got straight up evicted and the second one just closed. The second one always did have the same feeling of impending death that Kmart always has. I like their sandwiches.

There used to be several in IL. We'd eat at the one in Schaumburg when we'd go into the burbs to see a band. Looks like there's only one left down in Bloomington.

Wiki says they peaked in 2001 at 759 stores but I can't find anything indicating the current number.

Clochette
Aug 12, 2013

Nigerian scammers are known as "yahoo boys" in Nigeria because they all use Yahoo email accounts.

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

I thought that, but just close it, is my opinion. I mean they went through the work of putting a sliding motion door or whatever in the middle of a piece of plywood. It was pretty great honestly :)

You really should have taken a picture of that because it sounds amazing.

Danny LaFever
Dec 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0iI2ReZLmYA

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

VikingSkull posted:

Basically, if you say American car manufacturers are "complete poo poo" in TYOOL 2016 you're saying basically the same thing that your dad did in 1981 when he said Japanese cars are cheap steel that rusts and will never take market share from GM

Reminds me of this (coincidentally from 1981):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ts4Q38ELrtc

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax
K-Mart is huge in Australia FYI. It's probably the closest thing to Wal Mart here.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

1500quidporsche posted:

There used to be some reasonably good deals on clothing there but now half the store is just stocked with bed bath and beyond reject items and the men's clothing section is like 1/20th of the floor space.

Here in :canada: they only started getting in Ralph Lauren polos a couple years ago... except they're all ~$40 and have those ink tags on them that use metal pins, leaving small holes in whatever random place they put the tags that become larger over time, so I don't buy them

They used to be a good spot to get cheap designer colognes, but they seem to be moving away from that as of a year or two ago

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
I miss K Mart. They all got bought out by Zellers and then Target and now LOL.

It was great back in the 80s.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

there's an NYC supermarket chain named Fairway that fits well here

http://www.grubstreet.com/2016/02/collapse-of-fairway.html?mid=facebook_nymag

it overexpanded beyond Manhattan and they borrowed to finance it. now they're in deep poo poo and they're not even as good as they used to be

Happy Bear Suit
Jul 21, 2004

Bulk Vanderhuge posted:

Here's a great article on Target's monumental gently caress up in Canada.

http://www.canadianbusiness.com/the-last-days-of-target-canada/
lmao, how could i forget about this

lets buy up the old Zeller lots and compete with wal-mart, sears, canadian tire, lowes, homesense, rexall, giant tiger, shoppers, loblaws, metro, and fortinos. yes canadians will get behind us, this is a great plan.

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.

don't blame me, fucker.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax
lol while we're on the topic of K-Mart, their parent company Sears Holdings reported $30b in losses for 2014

meanwhile Target was up $70b last year

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good

TacticalUrbanHomo posted:

K-Mart is huge in Australia FYI. It's probably the closest thing to Wal Mart here.

Yeah, I go to Australia a lot on business and always stop by at the K-Marts, they're quite pleasant to go into. You'd think the American branch would take notice and try to replicate its success.

Oddly enough, the Australian Target seems really dated and lower-quality than the K-Marts. They still use the same 90s-style signage.

I suppose when you go down under you have to expect some things to be opposite.

The K-Mart in Guam is also pretty popular, probably because it's the only real shop of its kind on the island and all of the tourists go there.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

BigBoss posted:

A new batch of people turn 65 every day...

That's why Cracker Barrel and Golden Corral exists.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

canyoneer posted:

There's an Ask/Tell thread about car buying so go there. They'll tell you the Honda Fit is a great car though

Falun Bong Refugee posted:

I've been looking to get a used honda fit. Does honda suck now or something?

I had a Fit for years and it was a loving tremendous car :colbert:

blowfish posted:

For cameras, Leica essentially hand-manufactures the camera casing and optics, so you end up with above-average grade everything around a sensor of hit or miss quality. Another problem is that Leica is targeting an extremely niche market. The whole point of using a rangefinder is that it's a small inconspicuous camera you can carry around everywhere for e.g. street photography without being mugged at knifepoint in slums all the time. The completely insane cost of Leica Ms completely defeats the point of using a Leica for street journalism etc. when you could buy a literal bag of Fuji X-Pro 2s with a digitally enhanced rangefinder viewfinder, autofocus, and generally more modern guts in a slightly less tank-like case for the same price and just wreck one every year. The remaining market for Leica is therefore rich hipsters.

The Leica hipsters/fanboys are the worst. That Steve Huff guy used to have a great article on Fuji-Leica head-to-head comparisons. He became a laughingstock for using weird intangibles like 'LEICA GLOW' to inexplicably attribute a win for the 'best sensor color' category. Or he takes off points for slow autofocus on the Fuji, compared to a Leica M9 without any autofocus capability at all. In every way that matters to an actual working photographer, the Fuji was far superior.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5IYahsPK2k

To keep it mildly on topic, supposedly Harley Davidson is circling the drain. I've heard tales of warehouses full of unsold motorcycles & dealerships forced not to cut prices in order to protect the brand.

And to bring it full circle, when I worked in a bike shop they had a ton of old biker magazines from the early 80s. Every issue would start with a picture of a Honda that had obviously been wrecked in a collision, entitled JAP IS CRAP, BUY AMERICAN, followed by 10 pages of Ask the Harley Doctor, followed by articles like 'What spare parts to pack in your saddle bag to keep you on the road'.

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003
When i think Harley i think either retired baby boomer or 1%er gang member. Neither is really a positive association.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

motorcycles scream "mid-life crisis" so as long as we have people going through that, there will be a market for Harleys

thoughts and prayers
Apr 22, 2013

Love heals all wounds. We hope you continually carry love in your heart. Today and always, may loving memories bring you peace, comfort, and strength. We sympathize with the family of (Name). We shall never forget you in our prayers and thoughts. I am at a loss for words during this sorrowful time.

VikingSkull posted:

Eh, I'd buy an American car if the controls for all the little doodads inside weren't crummy and the ergonomics were good. Every American car I've rented has had weirdly uncomfortable seating, or had chintzy, badly labeled, stupidly hard to use controls for everything from the heat to lights to signals, or terrible sight lines in cars that had plenty of glass and window size. Even the pedals felt lovely. Where I can jump into any Japanese car and I feel right at home.

I didn't drive them long enough to see if they broke down though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hobo Pyro
Oct 17, 2010

Wedemeyer posted:

Absolutely never. You go to the filipino place further down the block to get some pancit and lumpia and some bbq, remembering to take the meat off the skewer this time.

I can't even think of a thing that would pop into my head when I think of burger king. Then again all I'd eat as a kid was fries because the burgs were too big for a little 10 yo Wedemeyer's tummy.

Has anyone thrown National Geographic into the pool or are we still waiting to see how bad it gets?

lets combine this and the next time you get high you immediately want national geographic. we're sacrificing burger king.

Literal Nazi Furry posted:

burger king delivered to where I was in colorado and the weed was really cheap so that was fairly frequently

we spare this one.