Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed

Stealth Tiger posted:

Ok now I'm curious to watch the most lopsided judging ever. Has any judge in recent history given out a 10-7 round without points being deducted for fouls?

Marco Rosales scored Forret Petz vs. Sam Morgan 30-23, with one 10-7 round. Morgan got knocked down a bunch of times and Petz never finished him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Franklin/Loiseau is the living ideal of the fight that just breaks a fighter permanently, and it's wonderful.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

CarlCX posted:

Franklin/Loiseau is the living ideal of the fight that just breaks a fighter permanently, and it's wonderful.

Yeah that fight is crazy when you consider the spiral loiseau went down afterwards.

Also great is watching what anderson did to franklin after.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

niethan posted:

Not really, judges are strongly encouraged not to score rounds lower than like 6 at the very minimum.

That's what I mean though. If the fight lasts longer than one round, then both competitors have points regardless of how badly one side got beaten. A shutout would imply a 30-0, but that's simply not possible. The only way a competitor could lose with no points earned would be to get stopped in the first.

Elemennop
Dec 29, 2004

only the martyrs have their identities remembered. please remember me, i beg you!

Atlas Hugged posted:

That's what I mean though. If the fight lasts longer than one round, then both competitors have points regardless of how badly one side got beaten. A shutout would imply a 30-0, but that's simply not possible. The only way a competitor could lose with no points earned would be to get stopped in the first.

Yes, you are correct on a pedantic level, but the point system is a relatively arbitrary holdover from boxing, and getting points is not actually even the same as "scoring points" in this case. You can have a fighter not land a single strike and still only lose a round 10 to 9. If you simply flipped the scoring system so that you gave the winner of the round points instead of taking away from the loser e.g. 1-0, 2-0, etc for rounds, then you would have a functionally equivalent scoring system where you could have shutouts.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Has anyone tried to make weight by shaving off all the hair on their body?

eine dose socken
Mar 9, 2008

Lid posted:

This question reminds me so much of unshaved Dave Herman..

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Lid posted:

One guy cut off his dreads

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Lid posted:

jason guida failed to compete on tuf because he refused to cut his hair to make weight.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

jason guida failed to compete on tuf because he refused to cut his hair to make weight.

I just watched that episode the other day. It's pretty spectacular. He keeps calling Keith Kizer 'doc' and telling him he doesn't understand.

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
Pretty sure Lutter shaved everything before the Silva fight

still missed weight

a retard
Jan 7, 2013

by Lowtax
What ruleset does modern Pancrase use? I tried to look it up and I get poo poo ranging from Unified Rules, to Unified Rules with elbows allowed, to Pride rules

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

a retard posted:

What ruleset does modern Pancrase use? I tried to look it up and I get poo poo ranging from Unified Rules, to Unified Rules with elbows allowed, to Pride rules

I'm pretty sure it's just whatever causes the white guy/girl to get DQed.

afatwhiteloaf
Oct 19, 2012
In all seriousness, no elbow strikes, three minute rounds, everything else is essentially the same as the UFC.

vainman
Nov 2, 2012

I find your lack of faith... disturbing

Lid posted:

Yeah, the guy in my av, Shamwow Shamhalaev. Before:

and after. He needed half a pound to make weight.

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

vainman posted:

haha. did it work?

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

vainman posted:

I like how he kept his chest hair anyway.

vainman
Nov 2, 2012

I find your lack of faith... disturbing

I.N.R.I posted:

haha. did it work?

Yeah, it was great

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

vainman posted:

This is incredible, man I hope he won.

Ty1990
Apr 22, 2011

Kekekela posted:

This is incredible, man I hope he won.

He did. Knocked out Rad Martinez.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
I'm watching UFC 101 and Johny Hendricks just stopped Amir Sadollah. Joe Rogan lost his poo poo about it being early, but Sadollah looked pretty out of it. Was this thought of as an early stoppage at the time? Does it still hold up as one?

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
I thought so at the time, but knowing now what we know about Hendricks' power it's not a bad stoppage at all.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
also I watched that card with a non-MMA fan and he thought that Hendricks was likely to get really fat after his career was done. If only he knew :allears:

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"
:toot::birddrugs::toot:

1st AD posted:

I thought so at the time, but knowing now what we know about Hendricks' power it's not a bad stoppage at all.

I always thought it was an early stoppage at the time and on subsequent viewings. But it's hardly the worst ever.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

On the subject of stoppages, why did the ref in the Kimbo Slice 'fight' recently let it go as long as it did?

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Liquid Communism posted:

On the subject of stoppages, why did the ref in the Kimbo Slice 'fight' recently let it go as long as it did?

i agree a ref should be able to stop a fight purely because it sucks too much and should be recorded as a loss for both participants.

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Liquid Communism posted:

he was just doing his job

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010

Liquid Communism posted:

http://www.mmafighting.com/2016/2/21/11081300/john-mccarthy-during-kimbo-dada-oh-my-god-this-things-going-all-three

quote:

"There was never anything that landed that was hard," McCarthy said. "They didn't hit each other with any hard shots. ... Look, there are people that paid money to see this fight. This is not just about you laying on somebody because you're both tired. That's your fault for coming into the fight in that condition."

Within a minute or two of the fight starting, both fighters were completely exhausted and had lost the ability to throw damaging strikes. With neither man capable of hurting the other, there was no chance of a stoppage by strikes and McCarthy had to just wait to see who would be the first to collapse from fatigue.

mewse
May 2, 2006

EvanSchenck posted:

Within a minute or two of the fight starting, both fighters were completely exhausted and had lost the ability to throw damaging strikes. With neither man capable of hurting the other, there was no chance of a stoppage by strikes and McCarthy had to just wait to see who would be the first to collapse from fatigue.

God drat

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

EvanSchenck posted:

http://www.mmafighting.com/2016/2/21/11081300/john-mccarthy-during-kimbo-dada-oh-my-god-this-things-going-all-three

Not to mention that Dada was in renal failure the whole time and had a literal heart stoppage.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Liquid Communism posted:

Not to mention that Dada was in renal failure the whole time and had a literal heart stoppage.

Oh my.

Wow Freakshow indeed.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

LordPants posted:

Oh my.

Wow Freakshow indeed.

He dropped ~40lbs in a month to make weight for the fight, drat near killed himself. You can see it in the fight, by round 2 the adrenaline's worn off and he's dead on his feet.

Ty1990
Apr 22, 2011

When did the UFC implement the rule that they don't grant you a 1lb allowance for title fights? Maybe it's a wrong article but I'm reading about Travis Lutter's weight cut for Anderson and it's saying he needed to hit 186.5, not 185, in order to make weight.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Ty1990 posted:

When did the UFC implement the rule that they don't grant you a 1lb allowance for title fights? Maybe it's a wrong article but I'm reading about Travis Lutter's weight cut for Anderson and it's saying he needed to hit 186.5, not 185, in order to make weight.

Not the UFC's rule - it's a commission rule. Some commissions allegedly have different rules on this, too. A big hurfy controversy in GSP-Diaz is that the Quebec Athletic Commission supposedly let GSP weigh in at 171.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Ty1990 posted:

It varies from state to state and country to country. I think its generally due to potential inaccuracies in scales.

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

Can someone explain the "Roidtech" video? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DS9vdoX3Ju0

It was recently linked in a MMA thread and quite frankly, I don't get the joke. :iiam:

Bad Mr Frosty
Apr 25, 2012

Bioshuffle posted:

Can someone explain the "Roidtech" video? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DS9vdoX3Ju0

It was recently linked in a MMA thread and quite frankly, I don't get the joke. :iiam:

I am going to disregard your post, because you are a stupid entitled twat.

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

:qq:He expended too much energy and got tired:qq:

I'M NOT SURPRISED MOTHERFUCKERS

Bioshuffle posted:

There's nothing to get

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011

Bad Mr Frosty posted:

I am going to disregard your post, because you are a stupid entitled twat.

This is the general questions thread so this is the best place for them to ask.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mewse
May 2, 2006

Augh dangit