Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Hot Karl Marx posted:

reamer, those plates are probably an inch thick and the OD of the reamer is probably 18"

The term "getting reamed" suddenly make a lot more sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
i was going through my phone photos and apprently i recorded this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S1T_adJx268

i remember that job but I dont remember recording it, or having a weird blair witch filter along with inserting random pictures of the surrounding area

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

This raises so many questions for me. Chief among them being "How did he get there without dying?" and "Why is the outside of that building tiled like a badly done bathroom?"

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

calvus posted:

I wonder if that was supposed to happen

It was supposed to collapse like the rest of them. Now they're gonna have to demolish it carefully so it doesn't collapse while there are guys working around it. Pretty big gently caress up for an explosives demolition company.

Darkman Fanpage fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Mar 4, 2016

hunkrust
Sep 29, 2014
I got an MA in asking leading questions about how sexism isnt real, and regularly fail to grasp that other people have different experience than me or enjoy different things.
I also own multiple fedoras, to go with my leather dusters, and racist pin badges.

I bet you dollars to doughnuts he is hiding from his wife

simple
Apr 11, 2007

Explosionface posted:

"Why is the outside of that building tiled like a badly done bathroom?"

China

Pretty Cool Name
Jan 8, 2010

wat

Hot Karl Marx posted:

i get to drive our yards big diesel powered forklift around the yard with no real formal training. I'm also an operator so I'm expected to know how to use it. I don't really use it much unless we need to load a skid of bentonite (sorta as hazardous as asbestos, silicate crystals) or lifting big reamers out the back of our chase truck.

fork lift drivers that work in factories and poo poo though are crazy. i know they want maximum productivity but most of the time I see them theyre in such a god drat rush its probably dangerous

I worked in a warehouse for a publishing company once, the only real danger there was the loving forklift drivers. Slow down around people? Nooo loving way.

ghosTTy
Sep 22, 2008

Cumslut1895 posted:

it'd require:
-A voltage regulator outputting the cut-off voltage
-a comparator/transistor/opamp
-a relay/power switch
-a separate non-vital line

all on a pcb, if automotive current allows that

I don't even need any reference material to design something to prevent this...

edit: and I'm sure there's a more elegant/efficient way to design this

gm allowed the death of dozens of people because a replacement part would cost a dollar per vehicle. this would cost a bit more and only help retards.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Stapelfahrer Klaus really needs to go in the OP of all OSHA threads, since it comes up so often.

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves

Mithaldu posted:

There's people who kill themselves with forklifts, and then there's people who wield it like a jedi wields the force.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oR5xvBYJB0A

All that sweet, precious cocaine!

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

Life's Good alright.

Bokito
Jul 25, 2007
Going Ape
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=d42_1457122214

Dude gets pulled into running printing press. In China, of course.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Bokito posted:

:catstare: Jesus, that guy got yanked through there fast

Joust
Dec 7, 2007

No Ledges.

Bokito posted:

I read about this right after it happened.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Me too, that was their first full-color edition, right?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Mierenneuker posted:

Me too, that was their first full-color edition, right?

What's black and white and red all over?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
If it's the same story I read, I thought the character lacked depth.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

What's black and white and red all over?

First edition of "Red Star Over China"?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Bokito posted:

his hat was the only survivor

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

:catstare: Jesus, that guy got yanked through there fast

Don't worry, it was just the personal ads.

Tumble fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Mar 5, 2016

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

Elliot2lazy posted:

If you operate or plan to operate a forklift you will probably learn more from this spoof vid than any bullshit 80's video they give u to watch.
It gets better after the first min or so.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-oB6DN5dYWo

This is very true. The first time I drove a forklift, I got my rear end handed to me when I had the forks too high. Staplerfahrer Klaus is probably the best training video of all time.

My un-asked advise follows:

Forks as low as possible.
Sound your horn when crossing a blind entrance or any time you go between rows.
Operate in reverse whenever possible (you need visibility when you have a skid on)
If you have a cage, wear your seat belt and brace if you tip. If you don't have a cage, never wear your seat belt and make sure to jump.
Know where you are and your load limits. You can tip if you're heavy and high.
Never, ever, ever leave a knife or any detritus on top of a skid.
Slow the gently caress down. You're not trying to beat any speed records and tipping a pallet makes everything worse.
Plug if you can. Avoid using the brakes. Plugging saves you time on the charger if it's electric and the stop is smoother.
Tip back to secure the load as long as it's not unstable..
Look at the pallets before you lift the skid. Sometimes they are so bad that they come apart. Especially the chipboard ones. If they do, pick them up, bash out all the supports, put a good pallet upside-down underneath it, set it down in the cutouts, and then pick it up again the right way.
If your vendor loads using slip sheets, curse them and then get your biggest guys to help with the lifting and loading.

Andohz
Aug 15, 2004

World's Strongest Smelly Hobo

mostlygray posted:

We were taught to keep the forks at shin height whenever in transit. The argument given by our trainer was that it would avoid both crushing the knees of anyone we hit and getting the forks caught in ground irregularities.
Then again, after one day, this guy gave my entire shift team, that only ever used a pallet loader, a certification for a counterweight truck after we put one pallet on a shelf with it. the only warehouse employed truck driver was the only one not looking over her shoulder as she backed up because "no-one's ever there".

On the topic of trucks, which is the safest way to bring a pallet up or down an incline. Does it vary depending on the truck or is it always truck down or pallet down?

Andohz fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Mar 5, 2016

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

mostlygray posted:

This is very true. The first time I drove a forklift, I got my rear end handed to me when I had the forks too high. Staplerfahrer Klaus is probably the best training video of all time.

My un-asked advise follows:

Sound your horn when crossing a blind entrance or any time you go between rows.
Operate in reverse whenever possible (you need visibility when you have a skid on)
If you have a cage, wear your seat belt and brace if you tip. If you don't have a cage, never wear your seat belt and make sure to jump.
Know where you are and your load limits. You can tip if you're heavy and high.
Never, ever, ever leave a knife or any detritus on top of a skid.
Slow the gently caress down. You're not trying to beat any speed records and tipping a pallet makes everything worse.
Plug if you can. Avoid using the brakes. Plugging saves you time on the charger if it's electric and the stop is smoother.
Tip back to secure the load as long as it's not unstable..
Look at the pallets before you lift the skid. Sometimes they are so bad that they come apart. Especially the chipboard ones. If they do, pick them up, bash out all the supports, put a good pallet upside-down underneath it, set it down in the cutouts, and then pick it up again the right way.
If your vendor loads using slip sheets, curse them and then get your biggest guys to help with the lifting and loading.

I should grab a copy of our forklift training book at work this week and see what's in it that's relevant to the thread.

EKDS5k
Feb 22, 2012

THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU LET YOUR BEER FREEZE, DAMNIT

Andohz posted:

We were taught to keep the forks at shin height whenever in transit. The argument given by our trainer was that it would avoid both crushing the knees of anyone we hit and getting the forks caught in ground irregularities.
Then again, after one day, this guy gave my entire shift team, that only ever used a pallet loader, a certification for a counterweight truck after we put one pallet on a shelf with it. the only warehouse employed truck driver was the only one not looking over her shoulder as she backed up because "no-one's ever there".

By default if I see someone driving a forklift my assumption is that they are blind, deaf, and an idiot. If it's running and someone is in the seat, then I'm watching it.

Andohz posted:

On the topic of trucks, which is the safest way to bring a pallet up or down an incline. Does it vary depending on the truck or is it always truck down or pallet down?

rear end end of the forklift is always downhill. If you're carrying a load and driving downhill, and you have to hit the brakes suddenly then it could fly off and hit whatever you were trying to avoid. Even when empty I try to keep the counterweight downhill, because there's less of a risk of tip over if the wheels hit something.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:

EKDS5k posted:

By default if I see someone driving a forklift my assumption is that they are blind, deaf, and an idiot. If it's running and someone is in the seat, then I'm watching it.
To be honest, that is the case for any kind of vehicle. Most accidents (at least in my personal experience) happen because someone trusted someone else not to be completely retarded, and it turns out they actually are.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:
Not quite OSHA, due to being in yurp, but a good demonstration of the dangers of building fires. The dude in the basket was fine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zK-oj3DRU7s&t=25s

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Boko Haram
Dec 22, 2008

My warehouse just got inspected by OSHA last week while I was on holiday. Had at least 20 violations posted on our entrance when I came back to work. I'll see if I can grab a quick picture or quote some good poo poo come monday.

hunkrust
Sep 29, 2014
I got an MA in asking leading questions about how sexism isnt real, and regularly fail to grasp that other people have different experience than me or enjoy different things.
I also own multiple fedoras, to go with my leather dusters, and racist pin badges.

Boko Haram posted:

My warehouse just got inspected by OSHA last week while I was on holiday. Had at least 20 violations posted on our entrance when I came back to work. I'll see if I can grab a quick picture or quote some good poo poo come monday.

Is that normal to have so many violations?

Stonelegs
Apr 15, 2003

I'll have a coke...

calvus posted:

Is that normal to have so many violations?

I can't recall that my company has received an OSHA violation, but industrial construction goes so far above and beyond OSHA standards that it doesn't surprise me.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Workers in China shut down an elevator without checking to see if it was empty first, resulting in them finding a corpse when they came back a month later.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Yes, this is exactly what it looks like.

Pretty Cool Name
Jan 8, 2010

wat

Mithaldu posted:

Not quite OSHA, due to being in yurp, but a good demonstration of the dangers of building fires. The dude in the basket was fine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zK-oj3DRU7s&t=25s

Church burning in the glorious nation of :sweden:, I bet it was started by norwegian black metal bands

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

chitoryu12 posted:

Workers in China shut down an elevator without checking to see if it was empty first, resulting in them finding a corpse when they came back a month later.

What is it with China and elevators?

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

good dog

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

The drunk truck driver fled the scene it's still assumed that a dog drove it.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Boko Haram posted:

Not really surprising, given your organization's track record of casualties

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

chitoryu12 posted:

Wow that's like the seventh woman stuck in an elevator in china.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Wedemeyer posted:

Wow that's like the seventh woman stuck in an elevator in china.

Linked Article posted:

The property managers told the Beijing Youth Daily that the elevator cab was returned to the first floor and taken out of service after workers had “confirmed” that no one was inside. But police investigators said workers simply shouted to check whether anyone was inside and did not open the cab to perform a visual inspection, the news magazine Caixin reported.

:airquote: