Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

Slime Bro Helpdesk posted:

Book of B'tak

The prologue on earth shows the righteous B'tak blessed with wealth and internet spaceships. The scene shifts to heaven, where God asks Chris Robert (-Crobits, literally "the accuser") for his opinion of B'taks piety. Roberts answers that B'tak is pious only because God has not griefed him; if God were to PvP all of B'taks jpegs, then he would surely curse God. God gives Roberts permission to take Job's wealth in exchange for dreams, but Job nonetheless praises God: "Naked I came out of my mother's womb, and naked shall I return...: the Lord has...... given, and the...... Lord has taken away; blessed be the name of the Lord." God allows Roberts to afflict his body with EVA physics. B'tak floats about the landing platform, and his wife prompts him to "curse God, and die," but B'tak answers: "I believe....they are further along than we know"

:five:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

B'taks opening monologue and dialogues between B'tak and the SC Forums

B'tak laments that we are only in alpha; he would like to hunt space birds in peace, but even that is denied to him. His three friends Ben the Large, Rizzky the Patient and ProLogic the Thoughtful, console him. The friends do not waver in their belief that B'taks suffering is a punishment for the sin of not understanding game development, for God causes no one to suffer innocently, and they advise him to repent and seek God's mercy. B'tak responds with scorn: a just God would not grief him so harshly, patience in ganking is impossible, and the Creator should not take his creatures so lightly, to come against them with such unbalanced battles.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

boviscopophobic posted:

I just noticed that the Olisar logo on the janky station rings janks separately from the janky geometry. :lol:

Why does it do that.
:psyduck:

im_sorry
Jan 15, 2006

(9999)
Ultra Carp

peter gabriel posted:

I only got to play for like 10 minutes tonight, it is almost impossible to log in.

Infinite load screens don'k make fun videos though!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjKnI1W86FU

The Port Olisar rings of doom strike again

parpspin.com

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

orcinus posted:

Why does it do that.
Because they might need to recycle that entire station under a different name.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Three monologues: Poem to open development, B'taks closing monologue, and Lethality's speeches

The dialogues of B'tak and his friends are followed by a poem (the "hymn to wisdom") on the inaccessibility of open development: "Where is open development to be found?" it asks, and concludes that it has been hidden from man because of publishers (chapter 28). B'tak contrasts his previous fortune with his present plight, an outcast, mocked and in pain. He protests his innocence, lists the principles he has lived by, and demands that God answer him.Lethality (a character not previously mentioned) intervenes to state that development is subject to change, and if B'tak can't handle that he should go cry to Derek Smart.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

Put a saddle on him and you're halfway to a pretty good co-op bobsledding game.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

Dusty Lens posted:

Put a saddle on him and you're halfway to a pretty good co-op bobsledding game.

concept drawing:

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

boviscopophobic posted:

I just noticed that the Olisar logo on the janky station rings janks separately from the janky geometry. :lol:

You've GOT to be loving kidding me. That can only mean one thing: The server sends SEPARATE position updates to each piece of geometry. Separately. That's an intentional choice that some idiot made with his own idiot brain, and then typed with his own idiot hands. There's just no excuse for that.

"Well guys, we're gonna have rotating rings with different names on them around the 'verse, how you gonna handle that?"

"Well, we COULD just make the text overlay object a child of the parent "ring" object, and move the parent. One update two identical rotations."
"Nah, you know what? Let's make 'em both independent objects, and move them both, separately, with independent position updates from the server. More fidelity that way."
"Oh gently caress yeah dude, GREAT idea!! The chairman will be pleased! I mean.. what could go wrong?"

That is unless CryEngine's netcode is so stupid that it breaks parent-child transform inheritance, which seems utterly impossible, even for CryEngine.

Someone should email CIG this page:

http://docs.cryengine.com/display/SDKDOC2/Grouping+and+Linking+Objects

Of note:

quote:

Linking an Entity object to another will create a parent-child connection between the two objects.

Physical changes such as position, rotation, and scale to the parent object are propagated to any child objects. This link works in one direction only; changing the child will not affect the parent.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

Lime Tonics posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjKnI1W86FU

From 17~20 seconds the timing is perfect with the subtitles. I tried to make a gif of it but it turns out blurry. The olisar logo is the seconds hand on a clock.

paaarp

here you go:

e: toggle img

Quavers fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Mar 6, 2016

Mick Jaggoff
Sep 11, 2012
Don't worry. It's a known issue. Everything is normal.

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

Eonwe posted:

Playing Black Desert with Goons, shout out to whoever is in the guild named Stimperor

I'm glad you approve.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Reminder that the commandos expect hundreds of thousands of npcs simulating the creation and delivery of all items to be added any day now, in this game where making a ring rotate in space is a hopeless mire of nested rubberbanding bugs

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Quavers posted:

here you go:

star citizen reminds me of when i tried making web pages back in the early 90's

I would make a page, and everything was so carefully laid in and hacked into place with text boxes and other poo poo, that if I moved or re sized one word the whole thing would do skewing off into space

this is SC, but with apparently 100's of some of the best coders in the world

and it performs like babbys first webpage for netscape

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

I'm amazed that they released February's patch so early in the month.

1000 Sweaty Rikers
Oct 13, 2005

New Tribes game is looking bad so far.

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

SomethingJones posted:

I'm new here. I come from the internet Elite Dangerous, a game about spaceships which actually is a real game that works and has gameplay in it. I recently made the mistake of mentioning Star Citizen on /r/elitedangerous. I mentioned it once, I don't think I got away with it.

14 years to make Elite? What? I'm done with these guys. They have infected every single forum and comments section like a loving cancer, and I cannot read their bullshit any more. Listen to this horseshit, you can see my comments he replied to.

What in the actual gently caress. I always thought folks were exaggerating about these guys, this is your actual real life bone fide see the doctor poo poo.

Isn't that last one a doozy? Isn't it? Looking at their website, reading up on what their trying to make, watching videos of the loving STATE OF IT and casually pointing out that it looks like a trainwreck is "Spreading Misinformation".

I've actually had enough of these guys, they are loving all over everything with this evangelical loving bullshit. Any moron with at least one eye and one braincell can tell at a distance of half a mile that the game is an absolute shambles. The engine physically cannot do what is being asked of it, it has nothing to do with being unfinished.

And do you know what this guy did? Do you know what this Optix334 guy went and did after I started ignoring him? He sent me a link to the latest RSI Monthly update. Are you loving kidding me. As if reading it will all of sudden make this pile of poo poo suddenly be an actual game.

So I've posted this all here and surely this guy will see it and know who I am and you know what, I couldn't give a gently caress anymore. There is no games journalism worth a toss any more in this industry, and there is something very very wrong with these guys who seem to be completely oblivious and genuinely in denial about it all.

I've voiced a hell of a lot of strong criticism at Elite and given mighty credit when it's due as well. It's an amazing piece of work and there's more to it than most people, even guys with hundreds of hours, realise. And it's getting trash talked by these fuckers? And this dude is hating on NMS too?

gently caress them, gently caress them gently caress them gently caress them gently caress them.

Thank you, I got my $10 worth.

welcome friend, the first mistake you made was engaging in a conversation with one of them

it's much funnier to watch them speak from a distance

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Ostentatious posted:

welcome friend, the first mistake you made was engaging in a conversation with one of them

it's much funnier to watch them speak from a distance

Yeah. You can look at the poop, but you don't TOUCH the poop.

See here.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Dusty Lens posted:

Ahem. British Pub, Restaurant & Gift Shoppe.

They should have set the IMMERSION to maximum and made everybody show up in old englishpeople clothing.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Beet Wagon posted:

They should have set the IMMERSION to maximum and made everybody show up in old englishpeople clothing.
That booze-up was to research material for Ye Olde Pube space station, where the floor rotates and money disappears. It'll probably have to be cut for obvious reasons.

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

Samizdata posted:

Yeah. You can look at the poop, but you don't TOUCH the poop.

See here.

Nobody told me if I touched the poop it would leap onto my face and force itself down my throat like a manic trout.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Tortolia posted:

Oh god now I can't unsee it how in the gently caress is that happening :psyduck:

orcinus posted:

Why does it do that.
Speaking only form experience with the UnrealEngine, but…

Because it's probably not part of the structure texture, but rather a projected decal that's specific for the station. That way, they can just feed the projector a different one for each station rather than retexture each of them individually. The projector would then require its own rotation, which is supposed to match that of the station. And it does… just not in terms of update ticks. :D

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

boviscopophobic posted:

My answer was going to be about modelers not knowing what they were doing. Referencing the infamous 640x480 px arrow texture in Daikatana

My attempts at finding source material led me to this.

https://tcrf.net/Proto:Daikatana_(Windows)/Pre-Alpha

What if Ion Storm had released all their garbage builds to the public while they were developing? Star Citizen.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

SomethingJones posted:

Nobody told me if I touched the poop it would leap onto my face and force itself down my throat like a manic trout.

Now you know.

I made a joke about premature ejactulation once on a facebook group and I was suddenly attacked by a tumblr idiot for triggering her or whatever. And I should have ignored her, instead I asked her politely what the problem was. She called me a rapist because premature ejaculation was non-consensual orgasming. :confused: And I made it far worse than it needed to be than if I had just ignored her and not touched the poop.

Same with reddit. If they attack you, just ignore the impulse to respond. It might be hard, but they're loving idiots and you're not going to change their minds. They're just going to drag you down to their level and then poo poo on your face.

Don't ever touch the poop.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

SomethingJones posted:

Now THAT'S a metaphor.

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3
It's infuriating. Every time Elite gets something new, someone will be along to tell everyone how SC will have this also but better, and it's only because Elite started development in 1858 that they get it first.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

SomethingJones posted:

It's infuriating. Every time Elite gets something new, someone will be along to tell everyone how SC will have this also but better, and it's only because Elite started development in 1858 that they get it first.

It's the natural order of things. For every missed deadline, the starting point of SC's development is moved up in time. A year ago, it had only really been in development for a year; this year, it has only really been in development for half a year. In a few months, it'll enter the pre-planning stage and soon thereafter, a new branch of mathematics will be required to calculate how long it hasn't been developed. Complex numbers just won't do it any more.

Conversely, for every new release of Elite, the starting point of its development is moved further back in the past. By the time 4.0 is out, E:D will be older than the known universe.

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

Skellybones posted:

Now THAT'S a metaphor.

Tortured manic trout would have been better.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xTqhyHuKVKA

Is Sandi better than the Ouya CEO? Or is Sandi the Ouya CEO's protege?

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

SomethingJones posted:

Well, now you know. So, unless you are feeling braver than I (or some of the true heroes here, like Beer or :pgabz:), I would keep your mouth firmly shut and your head down.

Mr Fronts
Jan 31, 2016

Yo! The Mafia supports you. But don't tell no one. Spread the word.

The new ladder animation, also fidelicious on stairs.

AlmightyPants
Mar 14, 2001

King of Scheduling
Pillbug

This was doable in Battlefield 1942. We called it the gut-luge. It was great fun!

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

I can appreciate that such a limitation would hurt :lesnick:'s immersion.

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

I drat near spit out my drink, thanks.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

This is an incredible quote right here

Who cares that some (most) of the concept ships still aren't flyable! Star Citizen has 11 thousand vanduul ships COMPLETED

Checkmate, Braben

e: also here's that "well they're holding back content from the PTU because it's SQ42 spoilers" meme again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Slime Bro Helpdesk posted:

Book of B'tak

The prologue on earth shows the righteous B'tak blessed with wealth and internet spaceships. The scene shifts to heaven, where God asks Chris Robert (-Crobits, literally "the accuser") for his opinion of B'taks piety. Roberts answers that B'tak is pious only because God has not griefed him; if God were to PvP all of B'taks jpegs, then he would surely curse God. God gives Roberts permission to take Job's wealth in exchange for dreams, but Job nonetheless praises God: "Naked I came out of my mother's womb, and naked shall I return...: the Lord has...... given, and the...... Lord has taken away; blessed be the name of the Lord." God allows Roberts to afflict his body with EVA physics. B'tak floats about the landing platform, and his wife prompts him to "curse God, and die," but B'tak answers: "I believe....they are further along than we know"

:gary:

• Locked thread