Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Turtlicious posted:

Do you think I could, on the interview, hand them the business card my boss wants to get from Vista-Print and say,

"I was given this title, un-ironically, without any change in my contract."???

Do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

Turtlicious posted:

On the advice of this thread, and my girlfriend, and my landlord, I went to see my boss. Apparently he was testing my response time in-case of an emergency.
I think you misspelled "against the advice of this thread" because I cannot for the life of me see where anyone advised you to actually do it.

Welcome to the well, enjoy your stay.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

adorai posted:

google hipaa usb flash comes up with quite a few results that basically say not to do what you are doing.

EDIT: Keep in mind that what this is replacing is (presumably) printed records that travel with the patient, whose existence is potentially more compromising to the patient's privacy

Slanderer fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Sep 8, 2022

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Collateral Damage told me to call him, and the guy said come in. I decided to do the adult thing and give him some time.

I'm understanding now the non-adult he was inferring to was, not me.

high six
Feb 6, 2010
So, what are everyone's opinions on contract work? I've got a CCNA and got an offer for a 6 month contract in a nearby city doing networking stuff, which is really what I want to do. It's a W-2 contract and they are offering me $24/hr to do it. The problem is I currently live with my folks, so, this job would involve moving out and having to pay rent again, in addition to having to buy my own health insurance. So the added costs might make it basically a sidegrade. So I am conflicted as to whether I should stay here, living with my parents and not paying rent while making $35k/yr with insurance, or go and take a risk on contract work.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

high six posted:

So, what are everyone's opinions on contract work? I've got a CCNA and got an offer for a 6 month contract in a nearby city doing networking stuff, which is really what I want to do. It's a W-2 contract and they are offering me $24/hr to do it. The problem is I currently live with my folks, so, this job would involve moving out and having to pay rent again, in addition to having to buy my own health insurance. So the added costs might make it basically a sidegrade. So I am conflicted as to whether I should stay here, living with my parents and not paying rent while making $35k/yr with insurance, or go and take a risk on contract work.

If it's a full 40-hour week, don't do it. Free time and days off, even an early finish, will become anathema to you because it means you aren't getting paid and you likely don't get the benefits that full-time staff do.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

high six posted:

I will say this, which option allows you to save more money?

Do your parents like you living with them?

Living with my parents wasn't really an option for me when I was of age due to being dirt poor. My wife could have stayed with her parents indefinitely and was encouraged to do so. If you are actively encouraged to live with your parents I would do that and save as much money possible while looking for a job that will be an upgrade in your career + paying enough to make the jump worth it.

Culturally in the states this is looked down on and its pretty dumb. Multiple generations living in the same house is just the best option if space allows for a number of economical, physiological, and environmental reasons. I would have lived with my parents without any guilt until I got married. Hell, given the right situation, I might have not left my parents home even after that. gently caress the haters.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

I would wait and look for something full time in the city you're in with better pay.

high six
Feb 6, 2010

Sickening posted:

I will say this, which option allows you to save more money?

Do your parents like you living with them?

Living with my parents wasn't really an option for me when I was of age due to being dirt poor. My wife could have stayed with her parents indefinitely and was encouraged to do so. If you are actively encouraged to live with your parents I would do that and save as much money possible while looking for a job that will be an upgrade in your career + paying enough to make the jump worth it.

Culturally in the states this is looked down on and its pretty dumb. Multiple generations living in the same house is just the best option if space allows for a number of economical, physiological, and environmental reasons. I would have lived with my parents without any guilt until I got married. Hell, given the right situation, I might have not left my parents home even after that. gently caress the haters.

I save about $1500/month here with my folks, which I use mostly to pay down my student loans. I don't mind living with my folks and they don't mind me here, it's just that I live in a bumfuck rural area so pretty bored with living here and bored with my current job, too. There's not too much job-wise in this area, either, so not too much hope of moving up.

But thanks for the advice, folks. I'll keep on looking.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
You didn't go into a ton of detail about what the job entails, but my spidey sense tells me $24/hr is pretty lowball.

high six
Feb 6, 2010

stubblyhead posted:

You didn't go into a ton of detail about what the job entails, but my spidey sense tells me $24/hr is pretty lowball.

From what I could get out of the guy I talked to, the company is shifting over from Cisco equipment (ASAs and stuff.) in their remote locations to Cisco Meraki cloud-managed stuff. My main thing would be to work with the technician onsite getting this gear set up, since my guess was the technician was more of a cabling than a engineering guy.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

high six posted:

The pay is a sidegrade at best even without moving, and more than likely a downgrade if you have good benefits now.

That being said, if what you're doing now isn't helping your career development and that will, it may be worth it.

And since I feel like I owe this thread some schadenfreude:

The "Everything is last minute" trend continues, and coworkers have confirmed it's my boss being horrifically bad at planning. I still don't have a work laptop, so I'm using my mother's. I flew back to NJ from New Orleans last night, got in at midnight, and I fly back down to San Antonio tomorrow. If the flights weren't all booked last minute, I could have just gone straight from NOLA to San Antonio.

Also, I had to put 3k+ on a personal card because my expense account isn't set up yet. I have been assured I will be reimbursed very quickly.

Other than that, the job is great so far, though. I get paid to fly to cool cities and eat cool food. I don't mind flying, and it's been fairly low stress when I'm not dealing with the hair fires my boss seems to always leave in his wake. Oh, and $95k really goes a lot farther when I don't have expenses like gas or food. My per diem is like making an extra 200-300 / week untaxed since I would be eating out anyways.

I miss my dog. :(

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
Your dog misses you too. Are you making your own travel arrangements, or does someone have to do that for you? If you're doing it yourself, try to stick with a single carrier as much as possible. They all operate a little differently, but generally speaking once you get X miles in a calendar year or fly X legs, you can get free upgrades to first class, space permitting.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Boo. 5AM change window tomorrow.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

flosofl posted:

I'm not going to waste too much time on it, since you stated you don't really care or seem interested in any kind of risk analysis.

The USB is the vector towards compromising a hospital's records systems during patient evacuation. There was a Black Hat presentation last year (I think, maybe it was 2014), on a firmware level attack that is no OS dependent and not detectable by AV systems. Since and evac sounds like it would fairly chaotic in nature, I can't think it would be too challenging to get a device swapped out. What do I care if a patient's data is lost, my goal is to get into your system. The patient data is collateral damage at that point.

Honestly, healthcare should take a page out of financial network operations. Monies are moved electronically in vast sums every day. They absolutely do not introduce a physical vector if they can avoid. Of course deposits need to be transferred from branches and ATMs, but those involve strict chains of custody with multiple layers of physical security. I'm hearing nothing securing the patient data other than "encryption" (which is only as good as the implementation) and "patient holds on to it". The fact that device needs to be plugged into a system that obviously accesses a medical complex's central healthcare database is a scary risk.

I see your point, although the USB stick is transported by the assigned nursing staff, the critical care patients are in no state to hold onto anything anyway. They are removed from the replicator by the on-shift internal services person and then handed to the assigned bed's crew before they transfer out of triage. The sync system is also a very sheltered one way interface which accepts very little data, so it's not very susceptible to viruses, but I agree that as a receiving hospital the foreign stick poses a threat.
I can only assume, but I'd suspect the receiving PC to be closed off completely except for the api to transfer that data in. The attacker would have to attack the pc and then that singular way out, control over a pc doesnt give you much access anywhere here since everything is very layered anyway.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

stubblyhead posted:

Your dog misses you too. Are you making your own travel arrangements, or does someone have to do that for you? If you're doing it yourself, try to stick with a single carrier as much as possible. They all operate a little differently, but generally speaking once you get X miles in a calendar year or fly X legs, you can get free upgrades to first class, space permitting.

Once I have my laptop and email, I'll have access to the booking system. Until then, I'm at the mercy of the travel agency. Does anyone have recommendations for best airlines? I will be traveling a LOT.

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Left Side <--- Many Whelps
Admittedly I haven't worked in that many different businesses but the idea of someone not having a laptop on day 1 is ridiculous. It's like not entering them in the payroll system.

'Oh I haven't been paid in 4 months so I'm borrowing rent from Big Vinnie until they sort me out'.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

KillHour posted:

Once I have my laptop and email, I'll have access to the booking system. Until then, I'm at the mercy of the travel agency. Does anyone have recommendations for best airlines? I will be traveling a LOT.

It's kind of a race to the bottom. They're all lovely in one way or another. Are you going to be flying in and out of Newark or Philadelphia or what? If your main airport is a big one then someone probably uses it as a hub, so that would be a good candidate to try out.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Swink posted:

Admittedly I haven't worked in that many different businesses but the idea of someone not having a laptop on day 1 is ridiculous. It's like not entering them in the payroll system.

'Oh I haven't been paid in 4 months so I'm borrowing rent from Big Vinnie until they sort me out'.

On the other hand, a lot of time people will come into IT departments and say "___ is starting today, where's his laptop?" when nobody had told anyone anything about a hire or put in an equipment requisition form. An IT employee should be known about ahead of time, though.

fluppet
Feb 10, 2009

Swink posted:

someone not having a laptop on day 1 is ridiculous.

So at soon to be ex job one day 1 i had no desk no pc/laptop however i was told to grab a server, go install server 2008r2 and go get setup in the meeting room

KennyTheFish
Jan 13, 2004

22 Eargesplitten posted:

On the other hand, a lot of time people will come into IT departments and say "___ is starting today, where's his laptop?" when nobody had told anyone anything about a hire or put in an equipment requisition form. An IT employee should be known about ahead of time, though.

We get no or little notice starts all the time. This is an acknowledged event, so we just have half a dozen machines ready to go at all times.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
My first day was picking garbage.

My second day was picking garbage in the rain.

My third day was shoveling sawdust.

My fourth day was picking garbage and hauling broken concrete chunks out of the ditches.

My 6th day was sitting in the hallway building my own computer with random 1366x768 and 1024x1024 monitors I found.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Turtlicious posted:

Collateral Damage told me to call him, and the guy said come in. I decided to do the adult thing and give him some time.

I'm understanding now the non-adult he was inferring to was, not me.
Yeah, I meant your boss is a child if he tells you to come to work but won't explain why. My advice was to call him and refuse to come in until he tells what it's about.

On the upside now you know that your boss is a liar and can treat anything else he says accordingly.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Vulture Culture posted:

Have you all considered that these other hospitals probably have sane policies like not allowing people to plug in random removable media in the first place?

Lol no everyone in healthcare is plugging in random USB sticks they picked up from a bowl at a conference to make/view office documents.

Also as an anaesthetist there's actually relatively little you need to know to keep someone alive given that a nurse is coming along who can handover and all the life supporting drugs will already be hooked up and running on battery's during a transfer.

Loving Africa Chaps fucked around with this message at 11:44 on Mar 6, 2016

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Collateral Damage posted:

Yeah, I meant your boss is a child if he tells you to come to work but won't explain why. My advice was to call him and refuse to come in until he tells what it's about.

On the upside now you know that your boss is a liar and can treat anything else he says accordingly.

Now he also knows the response to "jump" isn't "how high," but rather, "off of what?"

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

stubblyhead posted:

It's kind of a race to the bottom. They're all lovely in one way or another. Are you going to be flying in and out of Newark or Philadelphia or what? If your main airport is a big one then someone probably uses it as a hub, so that would be a good candidate to try out.

Newark. I'm near Paramus.

As for the laptop, it needs to be shipped in from Israel. Also, I've yet to actually go to the office. My first day on the job was flying to NOLA.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
Looks like United is the big fish in Newark. I'm pretty sure I've flown them before, but like I say they're pretty much all equally terrible, just in different ways. They would probably be the most convenient airline for you--I doubt you'd ever need to make more than a single connection anywhere in America.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
If you are going to spend all of your time flying around I suggest getting the paid level airline card for your preferred airline. In this case it's the United MileagePlus card, free year then $150. Put everything on it for work. Then you have a single statement to look at for your expense reports. You get a handful of perks and can eventually take your vacations for free on it, or buy a really nice set of steak knives*. I do this with the Delta Amex card and basically get a free tier bump all the time. Expense TSA Precheck. See if you can expense for economy comfort.

Eventually you get depressingly good at flying around, and I wasn't even a full time traveler. Hit up Ross for luggage. It's the same moderately nice stuff department stores carry for roughly half the price. My $45 fits-in-all-overhead-bins carry on has lasted me 8 years. I just leave a full toiletry kit in it (toothbrush, toothpaste, deodorant, hairbrush, floss picks, sudafed brand sudafed, several dollars in loose change, headphone splitter from monoprice, and a pair of headphones) so when I need to go it's super easy to just "go."

Cabs/uber/black car to/from the airport if they will allow it. Price out a black car, it may be within $5 of a cab but there isn't a meter, it's all driver discretion if you get overage for it taking too long, plus they show up 10 minutes early 24 hours a day. It usually wound up cheaper than a cab and 1000% more reliable than uber for me to black car it Pasadena->LAX->Pasadena, though if I didn't know my return timing I would just jump into the taxi stand to go home. Remember, you're exhausted. Safety first. I personally don't feel safe to drive myself home, nor do I want to deal with expensing $0.575/mile + parking on my car.

Talk to your sales people for tips on travel. They know what the company will pay for without batting an eye.

* Bought our honeymoon tickets to AU on the united card. Miles were going to expire, as was the free year, so we cashed them in for 3x http://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/wusthof-classic-ikon-4-piece-steak-knife-set/ .

H110Hawk fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Mar 6, 2016

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
poo poo man if my boss was paying me $17 an hour and suddenly expected 'on call for emergency response' to be in my job description, I'd demand another $10 an hour or I'd walk. He clearly needs you, stop accepting the abuse of low pay. He'll keep adding more and more job responsibilities under that $2 raise until you make it clear it's unacceptable.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

KillHour posted:

Shameless plug for American/US Airways, they're one of my favorite carriers, united is also very good, make sure to get a CC that gives you either miles towards a certain carrier (the one you're buying plane tickets for) because generally you get double miles for buying plane tickets. Southwest isn't bad if you don't plan on traveling internationally, but their seating sucks (they're a budget airline), economy type seating only, and if you forget to check in within 30 seconds of the 24hour window opening, you get hosed.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Get Global Entry and may as well see if your company will cover the fee. I can't go back to flying without precheck.

There's also a frequent/business travel thread:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3516448

Think this was the most recent "I accepted a job requiring frequent travel, please help" inquiry, so tons more tips here:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3516448&pagenumber=117&perpage=40#post453839494

air- fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Mar 6, 2016

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

MF_James posted:

Shameless plug for American/US Airways, they're one of my favorite carriers, united is also very good, make sure to get a CC that gives you either miles towards a certain carrier (the one you're buying plane tickets for) because generally you get double miles for buying plane tickets. Southwest isn't bad if you don't plan on traveling internationally, but their seating sucks (they're a budget airline), economy type seating only, and if you forget to check in within 30 seconds of the 24hour window opening, you get hosed.

This thread has everything. People who save medical data to USB drives, people who like flying American Airlines....

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Judge Schnoopy posted:

poo poo man if my boss was paying me $17 an hour and suddenly expected 'on call for emergency response' to be in my job description, I'd demand another $10 an hour or I'd walk. He clearly needs you, stop accepting the abuse of low pay. He'll keep adding more and more job responsibilities under that $2 raise until you make it clear it's unacceptable.

Also he should be paying you for being on-call and not just expecting it if you're paid by the hour. Not the full rate, about 1/3rd of normal to leave your phone on near you just in case.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Colonial Air Force posted:

This thread has everything. People who save medical data to USB drives, people who like flying American Airlines....

What's the beef with american? I've been flying US Airways (just bought out american but kept the AA name) my whole life and I've never had an issue...

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Also he should be paying you for being on-call and not just expecting it if you're paid by the hour. Not the full rate, about 1/3rd of normal to leave your phone on near you just in case.

Oh, if only.

[My on call week starts tomorrow - No extra OT pay]

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

MF_James posted:

What's the beef with american? I've been flying US Airways (just bought out american but kept the AA name) my whole life and I've never had an issue...

Other way 'round, American bought US Airways. American Airlines has awful customer service, so expect your experiences to start changing soon.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

What's the thing that happened when I flew into Chicago and pretty much sailed straight through security after using one of those palm scanning things? I was surprised it was so easy as every other time I've flown into the US it's taken ages and involved a bunch of questions. For what it's worth I'm a UK citizen so the visa waiver applies.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

MF_James posted:

I take SouthWest whenever I get the chance. Being tall and able to choose my own seat means I'm always in an exit row, even if it is an awkward middle seat.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

This made me snort. 2 out of 3 of my experiences flying AA resulted in chargebacks. I've literally never had that issue with Delta or United over dozens of flights. I'll take a layover over a direct American flight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Other way 'round, American bought US Airways. American Airlines has awful customer service, so expect your experiences to start changing soon.

Incorrect good sir, US Ariways bought AA but kept the AA name. I have family that works/worked for US Airways, http://money.cnn.com/2013/02/14/news/companies/us-airways-american-airlines-merger/

quote:

S Airways has been very public about its desire to acquire American ever since AMR filed for bankruptcy, although American management had hoped to remain independent. But the three major unions at American pushed for the merger because their members were unhappy with the contract concessions and job cuts that American management was demanding.

It's more of a "merger" than anything, but AA filed bankruptcy and needed to merge with (or be bought out by) another airline to stay afloat. I don't know why US Airways decided to roll with the AA name instead of the other way around.

Also, when I say American, I really mean US Airways, they are/were a top notch airline, obviously individual experiences can vary, and my experiences are slightly skewed because often times I was flying with my mother, whom works for us air, but even when not with her and flying stand-by/buddy passes, I had a very good experience. I've actually never flown AA proper, but I would imagine the experience should be better now that they were bought.

MF_James fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Mar 7, 2016