Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Biggest candidate for first round exit?
This poll is closed.
Kentucky 3 3.80%
Duke 16 20.25%
Gonzaga, it's always Gonzaga 11 13.92%
Iowa 24 30.38%
Indiana 12 15.19%
Wofford, you loving idiot 13 16.46%
Total: 79 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails
Props to any AD who really pulls off the 'they cut higher ed spending to our profitable sports program, and also our higher ed funding is still insane, so I have to cut costs that tend to screw over the players and fans but never myself' move

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

kiimo posted:

^^^^really? I'll stop saying that then.

I guess I shouldn't talk because the atrocious Kansas governor just cut 17 million in higher education to make up for the 57 million tax deficit he created when he cut taxes in order to tickle the Koch brothers' balls. Between that and kids carrying guns to campus next year it isn't like my alma mater is the flagship program for state politics and financial responsibility. Kind of like how backwoods western Kansas politicians said that KU had to go out of state to acquire bonding for student housing so they did and then they blocked it anyway when KU acquired the funding. Their reasoning is unreal.

“KU is flying the Starship Enterprise through our statues trying to avoid a transparent process that’s accountable to taxpayers and students both," Claeys says. "Whether you want to call it lease payments or whatever, it’s on state property, it’s going to be ultimately the state responsible," Rhoades says. "However they want to try to frame it, it still comes back to the taxpayer."

uh what

Kansas is a lot like the Starship Enterprise in that it flies through a bunch of space with zero intelligent life. Going to be really fun to sell kids from Chicago and Baltimore and New Jersey on coming to a campus with open-carry in a state with a recent mass-shooting.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

I mean, we know Kansas is familiar with star ships already.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Chicago State, and the WAC in general, is hosed.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

You can thank Illinois's dysfunctional government for screwing over nearly every state school there is. Illinois, Illinois State, and NIU will probably be ok because they are very large, and tend to get more money from other sources. Every other smaller state school in Illinois is looking at possible laying off huge chunks, or even closing if the state government doesn't get it's poo poo together. Glad we elected a poo poo Republican as governor!

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
Chicago State obviously shouldn't have been in the WAC at any point, and probably should not be competing at the D1 level period. Of couse that begins to get on the dangerous ground of the sustainability of college sports generally.

I'm really worried about Chicago State because it's the only decent educational option for many students in the metro area, and one of the strongest schools in the country for Black and Afro-American Studies. I'm a bit less worried about their sports teams, though it's extremely admirable they're doing everything they can to fulfill the scholarship commitments.

As much as I wish it were simply just an R vs. D or red/blue divide, from the inside you definitely see the hostility to educational structures from both sides; it's just more veiled on one side. And this sort of thing has been coming for a long, long time in Illinois and Chicago specifically, it's just been accelerated by the impasse. Anyway, enough of that for now, gonna watch some college ball while it still exists.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
I do not like it and I'll never like it, but I'm prepared for UNLV to make an underwhelming hire like Pasternack. At that point all one can do is laugh at how bad the administration and basically everything has been through the years. So many different people, so many of the same dumbass mistakes.

Lessail fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Mar 5, 2016

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails

Bird in a Blender posted:

You can thank Illinois's dysfunctional government for screwing over nearly every state school there is. Illinois, Illinois State, and NIU will probably be ok because they are very large, and tend to get more money from other sources. Every other smaller state school in Illinois is looking at possible laying off huge chunks, or even closing if the state government doesn't get it's poo poo together. Glad we elected a poo poo Republican as governor!

I know this forum has a particular political bent, but this is hilarious

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Marquis de Pyro posted:

I know this forum has a particular political bent, but this is hilarious

Bruce Rauner is Scott Walker or Rick Snyder with less charm. His whole goal in office is to gently caress over everyone as much as possible if it means he can kill some unions.

anne frank fanfic
Oct 31, 2005
I think Texas will do well and Baylor too if they can make their free throws unless they play a wheelchairbound deaf kid who wins the game with a fullcourt shot while his illegal immigrant retarded dad collapses on the sideline with a seizure the rest of the big 12 sucks who cares they always lose every year, at least Baylor had the every other year affmsn champ going for them

Hello Towel
Aug 9, 2010

Bruce Rauner is Scott Walker or Rick Snyder with less charm. His whole goal in office is to gently caress over everyone as much as possible if it means he can kill some unions.

He has more charm than Mike Pence, living bag of room temperature oatmeal.

They're neck and neck in terribleness though.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

Roger Craig posted:

How was Rutgers ever allowed into the big 10 when all of their sports programs suck? Even if it's a large school, people don't watch games if the product is poo poo.

All of their sports programs don't suck, and they're in the top half of the Big Ten in terms of contributing television revenue.

SpiritualDeath
Jul 2, 2009

shaping your brain like pottery

Kim Jong Il posted:

All of their sports programs don't suck
I saw some crazy stat like "Maryland won more regular season conference championships in its first year in the Big Ten than Rutgers has in any conference all-time" and I haven't found anything to disprove that.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)
The new Illinois AD gave Groce the official vote of confidence while firing our football coach only one hour and 53 minutes into the job. So I think Groce gets another year to drive our program even further into the dumpster.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Ben Simmons is ineligible for the Woodson award :laffo:

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring

Metapod posted:

Ben Simmons is ineligible for the Woodson award :laffo:

I just read that. As I am not familiar with the GPA system: how hard is it to hold a 2.0 GPA average?

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's a C average. I kind of doubt he's taking any tough classes so it should be pretty easy.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
A 2.0 gpa on a 4.0 scale means having all C's which is pretty easy to do as long as you actually give a gently caress about your grades

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
:3:
http://deadspin.com/texas-techs-toddrick-gotcher-proposes-to-girlfriend-on-1763094693

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.
WVU officially 2-seed in the Big XII

Views: :smug:

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

Gonna give props when they're due: Buzz did a great job with VT in conference play. 10-8 with that roster is amazing

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

elentar posted:

Chicago State obviously shouldn't have been in the WAC at any point, and probably should not be competing at the D1 level period. Of couse that begins to get on the dangerous ground of the sustainability of college sports generally.

I'm really worried about Chicago State because it's the only decent educational option for many students in the metro area, and one of the strongest schools in the country for Black and Afro-American Studies. I'm a bit less worried about their sports teams, though it's extremely admirable they're doing everything they can to fulfill the scholarship commitments.

As much as I wish it were simply just an R vs. D or red/blue divide, from the inside you definitely see the hostility to educational structures from both sides; it's just more veiled on one side. And this sort of thing has been coming for a long, long time in Illinois and Chicago specifically, it's just been accelerated by the impasse. Anyway, enough of that for now, gonna watch some college ball while it still exists.

Chicago State has had no business in D1. They were a pretty good NAIA school back in the day. Should move down to save much needed money going forward.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
I really want to see Princeton force a playoff game and then for Yale to win

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble

Ungratek posted:

Gonna give props when they're due: Buzz did a great job with VT in conference play. 10-8 with that roster is amazing

News: Virginia Tech trucked Miami on senior night in front of a great crowd

Views: Buzz for ACCCOY

https://twitter.com/michaelshroyer/status/706256187071832064

(I did not get a Buzz hug :smith: )

Frinkahedron fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Mar 6, 2016

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

For anyone who follows Wisconsin, this probably isn't a huge surprise. While they won't say it's the reason, it sure looks like Bo Ryan stepped down because of an affair he was having. And the fact he was taking her around the country on recruiting trips is especially sketchy if it came on the University's dime.

http://host.madison.com/wsj/sports/...6687535c82.html

The last few decades of fiscal mismanagement that led to the state being massively in debt had nothing to do with this.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 18 days!)

Evansville is playing in THE VALLEY championship tomorrow for the first time in 17 years. Please help me and Tahm Bwady root for the Purple Aces.

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Peanut President posted:

Evansville is playing in THE VALLEY championship tomorrow for the first time in 17 years. Please help me and Tahm Bwady root for the Purple Aces.

Sorry, but Iowa needs to get three teams in for the second year in a row, so go UNI.

DornerHorse
May 21, 2014

Chewie, we're Prohm
any other ISU fans/B12 peeps making the trip to KC?

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
Rutgers actually won today. Four more in the B1G Tourny and then seven in the dance. 12 game streak incoming!

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

well now we know the exact number of dudes suspended for sex videos it takes for a poo poo-rear end team to lose to rutgers.

that answer is 3

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
So the current name rumor for the UNLV job in the last couple of days is Jamie Dixon

Whatever as long as it isn't an assistant coach (or lower)

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
I just partied on Franklin Street with a mosh pit of UNC fans. I had a chance to go up to Roy Williams and tell him, as a Kansas fan, I was happy for him, but I decided not to be that awkward. Tonight owned in every single way.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
Top of the Mountain, yall. Feels good.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

OctoberBlues posted:

Sorry, but Iowa needs to get three teams in for the second year in a row, so go UNI.

I respect but also am confused by the state pride it takes to feel this way. It's cool to see but at the same time, mother gently caress K-State and Wichita State.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
ACC bracket is ... uninspiring. I dunno, BC aside the conference is pretty solid top to bottom, but it's pretty clear that without a gatecrasher only five teams are making the NCAAT, and out of those 5 no potential storyline seems worth getting excited about. At least there's no possibility of a Duke-UNC final.

kiimo posted:

I respect but also am confused by the state pride it takes to feel this way. It's cool to see but at the same time, mother gently caress K-State and Wichita State.

I admire UNC and Duke as institutions of higher learning, but can't imagine wanting anything but doom for their athletics teams. Especially UNC, where the athletic department actively poisoned the academic well.

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails

I'm sure he's dogshit, but Illinois has basically been insolvent and completely hosed financially going back well before he even dreamed of taking office

also gently caress Minnesota so much. Kick them out of the Big 10 immediately

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

I'm extremely happy and impressed that we managed to beat Arkansas on the road tonight, especially since it was without arguably our best player (Michael Carrera). At 24 wins, we should be locked into the NCAA tournament despite taking some dumb losses near the end of the regular season. We finished third in the SEC and secured a double-bye for the conference tournament. I'm hopeful we can at least reach the semifinals there.

Regardless, I'm really loving excited about the postseason. :) As someone who is also a UNC fan, I pretty much always have a rooting interest in the NCCAT, but it's just different when your alma mater is actually (finally!) involved.

PotatoJudge
May 22, 2004

Tell me about the rabbits, George

OctoberBlues posted:

UNI won by 3 @ UNI and 2 @ UE so pattern shows they will win by 1 tomorrow, probably by a score of 51-50.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

RumbleFish posted:

I'm extremely happy and impressed that we managed to beat Arkansas on the road tonight, especially since it was without arguably our best player (Michael Carrera). At 24 wins, we should be locked into the NCAA tournament despite taking some dumb losses near the end of the regular season. We finished third in the SEC and secured a double-bye for the conference tournament. I'm hopeful we can at least reach the semifinals there.

Regardless, I'm really loving excited about the postseason. :) As someone who is also a UNC fan, I pretty much always have a rooting interest in the NCCAT, but it's just different when your alma mater is actually (finally!) involved.

Would be terrible to lose to UGA for the third time this season. Although, it would at least spare another beating by UK.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

vikingstrike posted:

Would be terrible to lose to UGA for the third time this season. Although, it would at least spare another beating by UK.

Yeah, that would be really lovely on multiple levels. We used to be totally pathetic in the SECT but we've gotten a lot better there under Martin, so I have some hope.

• Locked thread