Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Uncomfortable Gaze posted:

Were you playing in a dense forest? I've noticed that the pollution spread on an empty desert guarantees huge biter waves pretty quick.

I got started in a desert and I definitely get some pretty massive biter stampedes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Game is on steam.

Game looks cool.

Game is early access.

Is it really mostly finished and only 'early access' as sort of a 'we're not done working on it yet'?

Or is it still pretty bare bones.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Here's an update of the ever metastasizing tangle of belts and crap that makes up my factory:

My potion factory/lab complex now with blue and purple potions:

I still have to sneaker express red circuit boards and batteries over from the distant sections of my factory but I get a lot of mileage out of a full stack of each so it hasn't really been worth my while to automate the process yet.

My artillery shell factory, not that the tanks main gun has done much to put a dent in the biter population. My most successful tactic has still been leapfrogging turrets.

One of my earlier oil refineries. I hadn't yet got the hang of hiding all the pipes.

My power plant what drives every biter within a million miles into a murderous rage.

And the wall of turrets needed to keep them out.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Agent355 posted:

Game is on steam.

Game looks cool.

Game is early access.

Is it really mostly finished and only 'early access' as sort of a 'we're not done working on it yet'?

It plays as a nearly finished game. They're still polishing some aspects and adding new features, but if it had been released exactly as is it would still be a very solid game.

lohli
Jun 30, 2008

Agent355 posted:

Game is on steam.

Game looks cool.

Game is early access.

The game is sort of done in the sense that it has a proper "win" condition and a fully featured game leading up to it, what it's missing at the moment is probably just more scenario/campaign content as well as the space platform stuff that they have planned for the future(post 1.0 iirc).

Currently most of what they seem to be working on/releasing/teasing is things like the circuitry logic, optimization, and various ease of use changes like improving how train tracks/rails are placed.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
things i would want from the video game:

* either double-down on the windows 3.1 nature of the game by adding "yes, my lord" sound effects or make it look like the last 30 years of graphics tech improvements happened

* a less lovely ui and controls. if i put poo poo on my toolbelt i want it to stay there even if i run out of resources. i want to be able to load in my burner miners without opening an annoying popup.

* especially inventory management. i should not have to build a waste disposal robot or an iron crate to store all these burner miners i'm never going to use again.

* not having to find a power pole to click on to see my energy network. hidden features like that should be large buttons in the ui. openttd's ui had the right idea

* not having autosave pause my game for a split second stopping all audio and breaking my concentration. actually, i would want map-specific autosave rather than just the last three times i did something, overwriting my old autosaves.

* if i'm standing on a spot, my character should just move out of the way rather than having him block building placement. that's just tedium more than anything.

* a faster way to pick up stuff off of the ground. fast removal of an accidental conveyor belt placement shouldn't be an upgrade.

* a tutorial that's been proof read

that's really it. game's fun when it works, but i tend to find myself often fighting with the controls to get stuff done.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Agreed on most of those points but undocumented protip, you can middle click stuff on your toolbar to lock it to do exactly what you describe

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
ooh, thanks

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Granted I haven't finished my current game yet--haven't produced a single purple pack or made a purple circuit--but I kind of want to restart with mods like RSO (and RSO Radar, natch) and FARL

Not so much for extra challenge--I intend to stick to peaceful, for a start :v:--but to A) make trains feel actually useful, and B) to do a better job with the factory now that I know what sorts of demands are made endgame on my resources (see: oh my god I need a bigger green circuit bus)

I don't suppose there's a recommended mod list out and about somewhere, beyond what I listed?

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Today's victories: oil processing done more right. Automation of blue science packs. Advanced oil processing now cracking everything down to petroleum gas. Took out my first biter base.

You guys were dead right about the poison capsules. Those things eat worms right up. Then my dumb rear end walked into the cloud and nearly died myself.

Oh, and I played well past 2am. That hasn't happened since Kerbal Space Program.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Ciaphas posted:

Agreed on most of those points but undocumented protip, you can middle click stuff on your toolbar to lock it to do exactly what you describe

Ctrl-Middle Click to undo.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*

http://www.callofduty.com/

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!

Holy poo poo, gently caress you. Go back to reddit with that poo poo. These are some legitimate issues with the game, but it's still good and fun. It's not a bad thing to criticize a game, especially if you like it.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*
The first three are Whining, the electricity thing is a legitimate complaint, why should the game move you because you can't be hosed to move yourself fifteen pixels, and the tutorial is for a beta game from non English devs, they'll get there.

So, we can gently caress if you'd like to, but he's still a bitch.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Grow up, kiddo.

iFriend
Sep 11, 2001

Having a bad day?

Ratzap posted:

Since there are some of us doing Negative Roots play through, here's my factory as of today's 'getting frightened and not achieving much' episode. I'm keeping it restricted to how far along his build is but I put a bunch of 'helper' builds up because why hand craft. I've got a box with a bunch of oil gear ready for the next installment and I could probably remove the ammo production chunk now since I've killed all nests round me. I won't need 1400 rounds of AP before we get lasers going.

Nice!

What's the benefit of having inserters put everything into chests in between though?

iFriend fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Mar 6, 2016

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things

Suspicious Dish posted:

* either double-down on the windows 3.1 nature of the game by adding "yes, my lord" sound effects or make it look like the last 30 years of graphics tech improvements happened
There's a mod for HD graphics https://forums.factorio.com/viewtopic.php?f=144&t=13142 though the graphics are fine providing you're not zooming all the way in

* a less lovely ui and controls. if i put poo poo on my toolbelt i want it to stay there even if i run out of resources. i want to be able to load in my burner miners without opening an annoying popup.
As others have said, middle mouse click and you can set a filter on your toolbelt (can do the same with trains). And if you hold a stack of coal/wood/fuel blocks, you can just ctrl click on things to load fuel into them, or ore into furnaces, or items into assemblers. Sorry, that annoying popup is kinda required at least once to get the fuel type you want, there's options available so it can't just assume.

* especially inventory management. i should not have to build a waste disposal robot or an iron crate to store all these burner miners i'm never going to use again.
Drop in wood crate, shoot wood crate

* not having to find a power pole to click on to see my energy network. hidden features like that should be large buttons in the ui. openttd's ui had the right idea
This could be done better, but there's no capability for them to even do that under current power design besides assigning an arbitrary number to each power network. Though they really should re-look at that.

* not having autosave pause my game for a split second stopping all audio and breaking my concentration. actually, i would want map-specific autosave rather than just the last three times i did something, overwriting my old autosaves.
Disable the autosave or make the time period longer in options? Also yes to all the latter bits

* if i'm standing on a spot, my character should just move out of the way rather than having him block building placement. that's just tedium more than anything.
Learn to stand offset of what you are building? This just takes a small amount of getting used to. Once you start using bots, it should be irrelevant anyway.

* a faster way to pick up stuff off of the ground. fast removal of an accidental conveyor belt placement shouldn't be an upgrade.
This is a balance thing so you can't just quickly shuffle the same items around, and it's only really the bigger items that it's anything but negligible on time. But you can console command this in "/c game.local_player.force.manual_mining_speed_modifier=1000" without quotes, and adjust the modifier number to fit, default is 1

For non native English speakers, they did pretty good. But this would have been good to revisit before Steam release

that's really it. game's fun when it works, but i tend to find myself often fighting with the controls to get stuff done.
This is not a fast paced game, it's more of a highly interactive idler game

iFriend posted:

Nice!

What's the benefit of having inserters but everything into chests in between though?

Buffer storage

Slickdrac fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Mar 6, 2016

Stick Insect
Oct 24, 2010

My enemies are many.

My equals are none.
The chests create a buffer. Gives you more time to respond in case a supply runs out. And/or helps you mine out an area faster, in case you want to put something else there.

Redchaostry
Nov 27, 2008

Suspicious Dish posted:

Only thing I can add to this is to make sure you have an iron or steel pick equipped.

Only control thing that I fought with was dropping turrets and then stuffing them full of ammo. But locking items to the tool bar and control left click fixed that pretty well for me.

My current game is getting pretty hosed.

Bottom half of my factory. So many problems.

Top half of my factory.

Pollution and biter map.

Not sure if salvageable or not. I will continue until I have no hope of recovery. Which with the copper shortage will be pretty soon.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Suspicious Dish posted:

have thing you want to load into machine in hand, ctrl-click on machine. inserts it without needing to open its inventory.

quote:

it's entirely possible to have multiple disconnected energy networks which is probably why this is how it is. why you'd actually do that is another thing entirely.

Redchaostry posted:

My current game is getting pretty hosed.

Not sure if salvageable or not. I will continue until I have no hope of recovery. Which with the copper shortage will be pretty soon.

put radars in your pillboxes, biters hate them and are attracted to them. that can concentrate their attacks to specific points and make it much easier to build defenses before you're in the "wall off a section of the world and line the walls with laser turrets" section of the game.

President Ark fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Mar 6, 2016

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010

President Ark posted:

it's entirely possible to have multiple disconnected energy networks which is probably why this is how it is. why you'd actually do that is another thing entirely.

Pockets of small mines running on pure Solar energy to not create pollution. Mines still produce a lot of pollution though, but a well forested area could probably manage undefended on solar panels and green modules. Plus it won't run at night, giving the pollution a chance get eaten up by trees before the next day comes.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

President Ark posted:

have thing you want to load into machine in hand, ctrl-click on machine. inserts it without needing to open its inventory.

Every time I've Ctrl-Clicked on a machine, like on a furnace, it puts items from the machine into my inventory. I want the opposite.

Mr. Bill
Jan 18, 2007
Bourgeoisie Pig

Suspicious Dish posted:

Every time I've Ctrl-Clicked on a machine, like on a furnace, it puts items from the machine into my inventory. I want the opposite.

If you have fuel in your "hand" when ctrl clicking, it pops as much fuel as it can in. Ctrl right click puts half your total fuel in, shift click puts the stack in your hand in, and shift right click puts half the stack in your hand in.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

My main issue with the graphics isn't the pixellated nature of them, it's how they feel like they're cropped together from Google Image results. Some items have 3D models, but belts have a flat 2D style. Same thing with different items. e.g. Inserters have the 3D models as their icon, but pipes have a 2D icon of them. Then there's Electricity Inserter, whose looks like absolutely nothing. I want them to pick an art and a style and stick with it. The grass texture has obvious seams, etc.

I wasn't taught about middle-click anywhere, so you can group that one in with my last item.

I didn't realize that shooting wood crates would cause the items to not spill on the ground, like what happens if you just attempt to remove them with a pick. That seems like such an unobvious way of doing it.

I am learning to stand offset of what I'm building, otherwise I wouldn't be building anything! I still feel like it's just a silly thing to do, especially when I'm sitting there wondering if that tiny little stump is what's blocking it, so I hit Q, go hover over it -- oh, dammit, no, I was just in the way.

Redchaostry posted:

Only thing I can add to this is to make sure you have an iron or steel pick equipped.

See, I know about that, but the case where you're redoing a lot of stuff is in the early game, before you have steel up. I mostly see pick upgrades as being able to chop trees, manually mine resources, etc. faster. Is there any reason you shouldn't be able to take stuff down as fast and shuffle it around as you can pick it up? A big part of the game is logistics puzzles and being able to reorder things, and I guess I don't see what that slight annoyance does. Any serious player will just sink in the time to take everything down.

President Ark posted:

Bring up a minimap and show both electricity networks? Actually, an improved minimap that shows power grids, that train that's about to run me over, etc. would also be nice.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

Mr. Bill posted:

If you have fuel in your "hand" when ctrl clicking, it pops as much fuel as it can in. Ctrl right click puts half your total fuel in, shift click puts the stack in your hand in, and shift right click puts half the stack in your hand in.

Aha, that's what I was missing. Thanks!

A lot of the controls in this game seem like strange undocumented tricks, so I guess a lot of my complaints should actually be filed under "needs a better tutorial".

Aurium
Oct 10, 2010

Ciaphas posted:

Granted I haven't finished my current game yet--haven't produced a single purple pack or made a purple circuit--but I kind of want to restart with mods like RSO (and RSO Radar, natch) and FARL

Not so much for extra challenge--I intend to stick to peaceful, for a start :v:--but to A) make trains feel actually useful, and B) to do a better job with the factory now that I know what sorts of demands are made endgame on my resources (see: oh my god I need a bigger green circuit bus)

I don't suppose there's a recommended mod list out and about somewhere, beyond what I listed?

Of you're using rso to make trains more useful, I'd get a tanker car mod as well. You can train empty barrels to your remote pumpjacks, and crude back, but it's kind of meh to balance, particularly when you have multiple oil outposts.

The typically recommended thing to do is just long chains if underground pipe, but a tanker car feels much more natural, and keeps the train thing.

lohli
Jun 30, 2008
With regards to trying to place things, a little red marker comes up around anything that is blocking placement.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Aurium posted:

Of you're using rso to make trains more useful, I'd get a tanker car mod as well. You can train empty barrels to your remote pumpjacks, and crude back, but it's kind of meh to balance, particularly when you have multiple oil outposts.

The typically recommended thing to do is just long chains if underground pipe, but a tanker car feels much more natural, and keeps the train thing.

Thanks. The trick so far seems to be finding mods that are updated or actually work in the first place :v:, factoriomods.com doesn't seem to be up to date in any respect

Anyone recommend any QoL stuff?

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Suspicious Dish posted:

My main issue with the graphics isn't the pixellated nature of them, it's how they feel like they're cropped together from Google Image results. Some items have 3D models, but belts have a flat 2D style. Same thing with different items. e.g. Inserters have the 3D models as their icon, but pipes have a 2D icon of them. Then there's Electricity Inserter, whose looks like absolutely nothing. I want them to pick an art and a style and stick with it. The grass texture has obvious seams, etc.

I didn't realize that shooting wood crates would cause the items to not spill on the ground, like what happens if you just attempt to remove them with a pick. That seems like such an unobvious way of doing it.

Most of the game is really solid, but the art is the most obvious indicator that this is still an early access game. Like the electric miner icon, which is... a stick with lines coming out of it? I've never noticed the 2D/3D clash that you're talking about though.

Destroying chests and losing the contents is more of a break from realism, not a feature they expect you to use. The same thing happens with pipes: any liquids in a pipe that's destroyed will also be destroyed. But having to deal with stuff like that (especially liquids) when you're working on a build would be too annoying.

Maybe my brain is rotten from playing this game too much, but a lot of your criticisms are really minor things that don't have a large impact on how enjoyable the game is. If you're not enjoying it then... just stop playing?

Ciaphas posted:

Thanks. The trick so far seems to be finding mods that are updated or actually work in the first place :v:, factoriomods.com doesn't seem to be up to date in any respect

Anyone recommend any QoL stuff?

The landfill mod is pretty nice if you want to get rid of water. Gives you another use for stone, too. I usually enable it for long enough to get some water out of the way, then turn it back off so I don't go crazy with the terraforming. I think it interferes with placing concrete, for some reason.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
Oh, no, I'm enjoying it. It's just stuff that adds up to irritate me that I wish they would fix for a "1.0 release" since people were talking about Early Access. Not dealbreakers or anything.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Suspicious Dish posted:

Yeah, the graphics still leave a bit to be desired especially on higher UI scales at 2560x1440 or 4k. Hit up https://forums.factorio.com/viewtopic.php?f=144&t=13142 for a high res graphic mod.
From the Controls settings

Also, note this says 'entity transfer', this means the item you are holding in your hand (cursor)

This seems like pointless griping. I've never had a problem with placing a random crate somewhere to store old stuff in.
As other people have said, multiple power networks. I do agree that they need to have a complete list of power networks you have and you can select each one to see the stats.
Map specific autosave would be a huge improvement.
WASD are your friends. Dance around that spot like a boss.
Perhaps you're looking for ? It would be nice to instantly remove constructions. Perhaps a mod.
Agreed.

Perhaps we should go start a suggestions thread on the official forums.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat
Nice, they fixed the bug I ran over (pun intended) recently where crashing vehicles into things doesn't make them attack in today's patch. It was probably something stupidly simple.

I'd started a game with shadows mega pack (minus the childish BS mods like replicators etc) just to see what the whole of bobs/5dim/yuiko etc looks like. Dred and Clone decided we should MP it and experiment - something like 16 hours in 2 days are now gone... It doesn't play like normal Factorio since a bus is pretty impossible, there are just so many ingredients and processes. We had to adhoc cludge things together to get things unlocked and produce some gate items. Then work out how to make a module area from it and which bits need to cascade into the next section. It's going to keep us occupied for a fair old time getting through it but it's quite satisfying when it starts to function.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
I haven't built anything big enough to benefit from trains yet, so my opinions on them may not be worth much, but you know what I'd like to see? More varied and capable railcars. I'm envisioning a mobile construction train crewed by bots in roboport cars, supplied by provider cars, defended by turret cars, and controlled by a logic car that can give the train directions like

1. Drive forward as far as you can.
2. Build this blueprint, centered on this car.
3. Repeat if able.

Automating the expansion of factories seems like a pretty natural extension of the automation we've already got, and I'd love to see the pave-the-world plans people would come up with.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Solumin posted:

Most of the game is really solid, but the art is the most obvious indicator that this is still an early access game. Like the electric miner icon, which is... a stick with lines coming out of it? I've never noticed the 2D/3D clash that you're talking about though.

I figured the picture on the miner icon was of one of the rotating mining arms.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Our hero would probably get a lot more out of his various ore mines if he did more than just scrape off the ore that's exposed to the surface. Maybe he should build some kind of drill.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

How many players is the multiplayer? 2? 2-4?

Foehammer
Nov 8, 2005

We are invincible.

Toast Museum posted:

I haven't built anything big enough to benefit from trains yet, so my opinions on them may not be worth much, but you know what I'd like to see? More varied and capable railcars. I'm envisioning a mobile construction train crewed by bots in roboport cars, supplied by provider cars, defended by turret cars, and controlled by a logic car that can give the train directions like

3. Repeat if able.

Automating the expansion of factories seems like a pretty natural extension of the automation we've already got, and I'd love to see the pave-the-world plans people would come up with.

FARL

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Malloreon posted:

How many players is the multiplayer? 2? 2-4?

the hard limit is 65535.

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF

Toast Museum posted:

3. Repeat if able.

Seconding for roboport cars, turret cars, and logistic cargo wagons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

RiotGearEpsilon posted:

Seconding for roboport cars, turret cars, and logistic cargo wagons

An awful lot of things could do with some upgrade options. Like power generation and mining gear but that is the sort of work they'll do once the full game has been created. One of the Friday Facts went over this topic, they even said that's why the 'basic accumulator' is called basic, they intended for upgrade options via research (like some of the mods do). Then went on to explain that they decided to shelve that work until they had the game complete with ending.