Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"
:toot::birddrugs::toot:

It's two Gods of MMA, Kevin Randelman and Mark Coleman, demonstrating immortal techniques.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

I still love how Mark works his way into half guard, that's some slick poo poo.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

Bioshuffle posted:

Can someone explain the "Roidtech" video? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DS9vdoX3Ju0

It was recently linked in a MMA thread and quite frankly, I don't get the joke. :iiam:

Mark Coleman is a UFC Hall of Famer and his sparring partner, Kevin Randleman, is a similarly decorated Pride and early UFC vet. Both men are highly lauded collegiate wrestlers.due to being old and beat up and having abused steroids for decades, they are demonstrating extremely garbage wrestling sparring.

In short,

Dangersim posted:

There's nothing to get

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

RIP Randle man

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

What are some funny/notable stories of fighters missing weight? I just read about Shark Fights 17, where Karl Knothe missed weight by 24 pounds as nobody told him his fight with Ricco Rodriguez was signed at a 230 catchweight instead of the 265 he trained for. He was disqualified. Is there a better story out there?

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
Anthony Johnson's first UFC run.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
What was that one fight where he came in at 176? Wanna say it was the Brenneman fight.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

It's real funny to think that the #3 light heavyweight murdered a middling lightweight fighter.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud

1st AD posted:

It's real funny to think that the #3 light heavyweight murdered a middling lightweight fighter.

And lost to a middling lightweight fighter too. Rich Clementi was 169, Rumble was 177.5.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

projecthalaxy posted:

What are some funny/notable stories of fighters missing weight? I just read about Shark Fights 17, where Karl Knothe missed weight by 24 pounds as nobody told him his fight with Ricco Rodriguez was signed at a 230 catchweight instead of the 265 he trained for. He was disqualified. Is there a better story out there?

Lew "The Titan" Polley is a fighter most famous for being a wrestling coach on The Ultimate Fighter Dos Santos v Lesnar. He described himself as a cook, personal trainer, and on the show used some really old school ways to cut weight for some of the fighters. In fact he had his own method for cutting weight on his TUF blog.

quote:

"The Polley Plunge" Part 1

4-6 bottles of Green Rubbing Alcohol

3-4 bags of Epson salt

Add water as HOT as you can handle

Cover your body in Abolene Soak for 20-30 minutes

Part 2

Immediately put on sauna suit and sweats

Put on beanie

Lie on the floor under a blanket for 15-20 minutes
He ended up being fired by JDS for constantly undermining him, and every other coach on the show.

So Lew Polley was meant to fight at World Series of Fighting 4 against Hans Stringer in a light heavyweight bout.

Mr Lew Polley, weight cutting wrestling coach, personal chef, and trainer missed weight.

By 32 pounds.

He weighed in at 237 for a LHW fight.

Most recently Polley lost a split decision to Darrill "Titties" Schoonover.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Wow, if it had been anything smaller than Light Heavyweight, he would have been two weight classes up. That's crazy.

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

:qq:He expended too much energy and got tired:qq:

I'M NOT SURPRISED MOTHERFUCKERS
The best was when he moved from 170 to 185 and still missed weight because he got down to like 191 and then couldn't feel his legs

And then he gassed in like 45 seconds and got thoroughly grappled by vitor belfort

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Dangersim posted:

The best was when he moved from 170 to 185 and still missed weight because he got down to like 191 and then couldn't feel his legs

And then he gassed in like 45 seconds and got thoroughly grappled by vitor belfort

which lead to one of the best moments in a dana white blog, imo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2mcjR3TsK4s&t=147s

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Speaking of weight cuts, I saw a comparison photo in the UFC thread of Conor at 145 (literally a Draugr from Skyrim) and 170 (athletic human). How did he make that cut multiple times and not die?

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

projecthalaxy posted:

Speaking of weight cuts, I saw a comparison photo in the UFC thread of Conor at 145 (literally a Draugr from Skyrim) and 170 (athletic human). How did he make that cut multiple times and not die?

I don't know but it's definitely not good for him.

Tbh I think he looks better (in the cage) at 145 then he did in the last fight. 145 he's long and lean, he was a lot bulkier at 170.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Dangersim posted:

I don't know but it's definitely not good for him.

Tbh I think he looks better (in the cage) at 145 then he did in the last fight. 145 he's long and lean, he was a lot bulkier at 170.

it also helps that he's massive and has a severe reach advantage over everybody at 145. There's a few guys at 155 where this is not the case.

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

You need haters. Fellas if you got 20 haters, you need 40 of them motherfuckers. If there's any haters in here that don't have nobody to hate on, feel free to hate on me

projecthalaxy posted:

TUF 4 was The Comeback season and they invited a bunch of veterans who been not doing well lately to come on the show and get free food and housing for several weeks and just focus on training and becoming better fighters and get back into the UFC. Most of them took this opportunity very seriously because this was their career already (there wasn't a ton of drama in house that I remember) and the two winners of the season would INSTANTLY get a title shot in their respective weight classes. Travis Lutter won for the Middleweight division and got a title shot against Anderson Silva, who had already crushed Chris Leben and Rich Franklin, and looked scary as gently caress. At the first weigh in, Lutter came in at 187, two pounds over weight for a title fight. 2 hours later on his second attempt, he weighed in at 186.5 so the fight became a non-title fight after all.

Lutter did okay in the fight for a little bit and even had Anderson Silva mounted at one point before losing. I think it's pretty conceivable in retrospect that if he hadn't had such a bad time cutting weight, he had a real chance at winning and becoming a UFC champion. He lost his next fight to Rich Franklin too and became the first TUF winner to ever be cut from the UFC. He went 1-1 outside of the UFC before retiring.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
Travis Lutter was also the Michael Jordan of BJJ.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
This question is based upon my observation and because I don't watch hours and hours of MMA I may be completely wrong, but:

What happened to the triangle from the bottom? Are people just clued in enough that they don't let that happen any more?

If my premise is wrong and it is "it was never used much, you're missremembering" I apologise.

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

They still happen. Cerrone won with one like 2 weeks ago

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

DumbWhiteGuy posted:

TUF 4 was The Comeback season and they invited a bunch of veterans who been not doing well lately to come on the show and get free food and housing for several weeks and just focus on training and becoming better fighters and get back into the UFC. Most of them took this opportunity very seriously because this was their career already (there wasn't a ton of drama in house that I remember) and the two winners of the season would INSTANTLY get a title shot in their respective weight classes. Travis Lutter won for the Middleweight division and got a title shot against Anderson Silva, who had already crushed Chris Leben and Rich Franklin, and looked scary as gently caress. At the first weigh in, Lutter came in at 187, two pounds over weight for a title fight. 2 hours later on his second attempt, he weighed in at 186.5 so the fight became a non-title fight after all.

Lutter did okay in the fight for a little bit and even had Anderson Silva mounted at one point before losing. I think it's pretty conceivable in retrospect that if he hadn't had such a bad time cutting weight, he had a real chance at winning and becoming a UFC champion. He lost his next fight to Rich Franklin too and became the first TUF winner to ever be cut from the UFC. He went 1-1 outside of the UFC before retiring.

Lutter mounted him and landed like 2 punches and then got baited into the worst armbar ever to lose mount, and then got triangled. People always talk about the weight cut but I don't know how much it really effected it. It's not like anderson hadn't been super dangerous from his back in other fights.

Edit: Oh yeah and anderson had just had surgery on both his knees before the fight

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

projecthalaxy posted:

bobby southworth on TUF season one couldnt make weight which culminated in chuck and koscheck locking him into a sauna with a bike while he rolled around and moaned pathetically, missed weight, and Dana promised he'd never fight in the UFC.

jason guida was too fat to make 205(?) by like .8 of a pound or something, his coach suggested he shave his head but he refused and kept saying "i cant do it doc" to the commission guy who was in no way a doctor.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
The Barncat just won a fight with a triangle and Brian Ortega beat Diego Brandao with one as well. I don't remember if either were from the bottom or not.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Dangersim posted:

It's not like anderson hadn't been super dangerous from his back in other fights.

What

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

I said anderson has a dangerous guard, which he does.

Maybe I should have said hasn't because most of it happened after this fight

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Dangersim posted:

I said anderson has a dangerous guard, which he does.

I don't believe this to be true in any meaningful way.

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

fatherdog posted:

I don't believe this to be true in any meaningful way.

Well I do? I don't know what you want me to say, but I really disagree

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

LordPants posted:

This question is based upon my observation and because I don't watch hours and hours of MMA I may be completely wrong, but:

What happened to the triangle from the bottom? Are people just clued in enough that they don't let that happen any more?

If my premise is wrong and it is "it was never used much, you're missremembering" I apologise.

Fights look a lot different now. Guys used to be stuck on their back more, and guys would sit in guard more. Also cardio was worse so guys would get tired faster. More tiredness and more time in guard, basically , probably could explain some of it

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

It wasn't very good in pride I'll give you that but improved a lot

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
Anderson looked good off his back against Okami

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
Submitting Chael Sonnen does not mean your guard is dangerous. Especially when it wasn't in the first two rounds like everyone else was able to do.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Dangersim posted:

Well I do? I don't know what you want me to say, but I really disagree

Well, you said "It's not like anderson hadn't been super dangerous from his back in other fights." so maybe you could name a couple of those fights because I certainly don't remember any. He triangled a dying Travis Lutter and a Chael who'd punched himself out, and I don't consider either of those particularly impressive from a "dangerous guard" sense (The Chael fight was impressive in a toughness and mental resilience sense, of course). In no other fight that I recall has he done anything even remotely offensive from his back aside from cheating.

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

Ok thinking about that perhaps I exaggerated, but I still don't think he gets the credit he deserves as far as his bjj game

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

bobby southworth on TUF season one couldnt make weight which culminated in chuck and koscheck locking him into a sauna with a bike while he rolled around and moaned pathetically, missed weight, and Dana promised he'd never fight in the UFC.

hahaha that's awesome. I love the picture of Chuck with That Look In His Eyes Joe hucking some crying dude into a sauna.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EYzeXTiefbg

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

jason guida was too fat to make 205(?) by like .8 of a pound or something, his coach suggested he shave his head but he refused and kept saying "i cant do it doc" to the commission guy who was in no way a doctor.

Funny thing about Southworth is that every time I've seen his fight with Stephan Bonnar I always have it for Southworth. Also Jason Guida as a person will never not be a giant joke and I think that's just fantastic.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Entirely off topic but randomly catching an episode of first season tuf long before getting into mma, and seeing bobby's first weight cut with chuck and josh actualloy really got me interested in the training of maa and mma as a sport. Seeing a man being physically sweated and worked out and dragged into a sauna and locked in just to lose a few pounds was really fascinating to watch.

too bad Southworth was utter trash.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Tezcatlipoca posted:

The Barncat just won a fight with a triangle and Brian Ortega beat Diego Brandao with one as well. I don't remember if either were from the bottom or not.

Ortega's wasn't from the bottom. It was part of a :krad: sequence that started with a darce.

I think Barncat's was from s-mount but I can't remember clearly.

turntabler
Sep 10, 2011
Watching the Twenty/20 for Rockhold vs Weidman and the trivia pops up that triangle chokes succeed 24% of the time in the ufc, so there's that.

Edit - I wasn't sold on this twenty/20 thing, but when they replay weidman attempting the spinning kick a box pops up with "weidman joins Chael Sonnen in the hall of ill-fated spinning techniques in championship fights" while playing a clip of chael wiffing his spinning back fist and andy kneeing him. Fantastic.

turntabler fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Mar 19, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

CommonShore posted:

Ortega's wasn't from the bottom. It was part of a :krad: sequence that started with a darce.

I think Barncat's was from s-mount but I can't remember clearly.

McCrory's was from the bottom. Samman defended an omoplata which led him right into the triangle. It was the classic holy trinity sequence and it owned.