Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Baronjutter posted:

Stellaris card system is almost moo tech system. Randomized "deck" of techs within a few levels of each other. In moo it wouldn't re-shuffle after every research, and there were a lot more fields.
I grabbed moo on GOG and got back into it. It's shockingly holds up well and is deep as hell and hard to master. I used to always think moo2 was better but it's really not, core gameplay wise.
Couldn't agree more. More people need to play the original.

Did anyone catch the Stellaris stream from the PC Gamer Weekender? I missed it and can't find a recording anywhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Baronjutter posted:

Stellaris card system is almost moo tech system. Randomized "deck" of techs within a few levels of each other. In moo it wouldn't re-shuffle after every research, and there were a lot more fields.
I grabbed moo on GOG and got back into it. It's shockingly holds up well and is deep as hell and hard to master. I used to always think moo2 was better but it's really not, core gameplay wise.

Master of Orion was a straightforward design for a spacegame. They just made it and put it out there. Reminds me a lot of Sword of the Stars - pre AMOC actually, before they put trade in the game. Very lean design with streamlined (but not simplified) planet management so you can focus on the murdering, but enough empire management considerations that the races and playthroughs are different from run to run.

That game did well enough that SimTex tried to make the franchise a legit competitor to Civ, and decided to copy some of Civ's conventions for the sequel. Oops. Then they did the mech game which got canned. A superhero game was their swan song, also didn't make it out of the crib. RIP Simtex.

Way more people played 2 though because PC gaming was getting more popular in general and it was an established franchise, had more hype - portrayed as the next big thing, civ competitor, if you liked MOO wait till you get a load of this, etc.

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007
Does Paradox put their WWW streams on Youtube anywhere? I didn't see them in their HOI IV playlist or as a separate playlist.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Question for people who have been following Stellaris development closer than me- will people be able to model their own ship components and mod them in? I feel like that's probably assured given how PDX builds their games, but thought I'd ask...

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009

Quixzlizx posted:

Does Paradox put their WWW streams on Youtube anywhere? I didn't see them in their HOI IV playlist or as a separate playlist.

You want the Paradox Extra channel.

cKnoor
Nov 2, 2000

I built this thumb out of two nails, a broken bottle and some razorwire.
Slippery Tilde

Quixzlizx posted:

Most things on stream goes on http://www.youtube.com/user/ParadoxExtra
WWW playlist is here https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLqRhPbyFDQWiuybjp8h9OEDFCYMQkHJIQ
WWW goes up on Thursdays as I don't have enough time to edit/export it after it streams on Wednesdays. If you want to watch is asap I suggest the past broadcast section on Twitch.tv.

tooterfish posted:

Did anyone catch the Stellaris stream from the PC Gamer Weekender? I missed it and can't find a recording anywhere.
As far as I know it was only an offline event. So there shouldn't be a recording anywhere on the interwebs.

cKnoor fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Mar 5, 2016

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007

Fellblade posted:

You want the Paradox Extra channel.

cKnoor posted:

We do, right here http://www.youtube.com/user/ParadoxExtra
It goes up on Thursdays as I don't have enough time to edit/export it after it streams on Wednesdays. If you want to watch is asap I suggest the past broadcast section on Twitch.tv.

Thanks, I didn't know about the ParadoxExtra channel.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

cKnoor posted:

As far as I know it was only an offline event. So there shouldn't be a recording anywhere on the interwebs.
God drat it. And they gave those loving chumps CIG half an hour of stream time to do nothing but yap and not show a loving thing. There's no justice.

Oh well. Gallop's on the main stage tomorrow, that might be interesting at least.

Epinephrine
Nov 7, 2008
I finally got around to watching WWW10, somehow this is the sort of thing where 2x speed legitimately improves things.

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

Demiurge4 posted:

I'm watching Arumba's Doge of the Hill let's play, and cramming as many players as you can into Venice as patricians sounds like an excellent and entertaining time.

You're in for a treat. It ends in the best way possible.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

NLJP posted:

You're in for a treat. It ends in the best way possible.

You and I have fundamental differences of opinion regarding arumba whining

pdxjohan
Sep 9, 2011

Paradox dev dude.

Slime Bro Helpdesk posted:

Question for people who have been following Stellaris development closer than me- will people be able to model their own ship components and mod them in? I feel like that's probably assured given how PDX builds their games, but thought I'd ask...

Yes, i am 99.99% sure it will be possible.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

pdxjohan posted:

Yes, i am 99.99% sure it will be possible.

Uhhh can we please get to six-sigma on this? 99.9995%?

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Is there an official estimate of when Stellaris is coming out? 2016 or 2017? A quarter or season or whatever? Or has Paradox adopted Valve Time as the standard since HOI IV?

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

There are two bits of information as far as I can see that people are clinging to: some storefront accidentally displayed a date of Feb 2016 (I have a feeling they won't make that) and a speculative tweet by the CEO of Stardock saying that Stellaris will come out in Q1 2016 (I have a feeling they won't make that either).

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Antti posted:

There are two bits of information as far as I can see that people are clinging to: some storefront accidentally displayed a date of Feb 2016 (I have a feeling they won't make that) and a speculative tweet by the CEO of Stardock saying that Stellaris will come out in Q1 2016 (I have a feeling they won't make that either).

Actually Stellaris came out in February 2016 and I've been playing it and it's good.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

vyelkin posted:

Actually Stellaris came out in February 2016 and I've been playing it and it's good.
It's actually not that great.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

My uncle works at Paradox and I've been playing Stellaris for months.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

vyelkin posted:

A Buttery Pastry posted:

It's actually not that great.

I read the first post and I was persuaded, but then I saw the second and I am now in doubt?

Help me, goons?

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

ZearothK posted:

I read the first post and I was persuaded, but then I saw the second and I am now in doubt?

Help me, goons?

It's good but it's no Space Empires 4 that's for sure.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Phlegmish posted:

My uncle works at Paradox and I've been playing Stellaris for months.

I work at Paradox and I've been playing it for months. It was pretty good until Wiz made the AI insult me, now my feelings are hurt and I no longer play :(

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Darkrenown posted:

I work at Paradox and I've been playing it for months. It was pretty good until Wiz made the AI insult me, now my feelings are hurt and I no longer play :(

Yes but did playing as an alien take away your ability to feel human?

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Darkrenown posted:

Give him a good tumble.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Darkrenown posted:

You lack, what's the word?

Élan.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

Demiurge4 posted:

You lack, what's the word?

Élan.

Sounds more like a lack of moral fibre to me.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

So, Vicky 2 had those world newspapers that you didn't read for very long. Does anyone remember other games that did the dynamic news story thing in a compelling way? I remember the newspapers in SimCity 2000 were pretty decent at telling you stuff in an entertaining way, even if there wasn't a lot of variety in the templates. Any others?

GCValentine
Oct 25, 2007
Important Event

ZearothK posted:

Is there an official estimate of when Stellaris is coming out? 2016 or 2017? A quarter or season or whatever? Or has Paradox adopted Valve Time as the standard since HOI IV?

For a more concrete answer to this the current word is "this year." Since we know that Stellaris was in beta before HOI IV that may also mean before HOI IV, but that is not confirmed. Paradox keeps dropping that there will be more info released at/after GDC next week so maybe we will get our answers then.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I'm guessing early q2 for Stellaris and a bit later for Hoi4. I'm surprised stellaris is apparently coming out first. Really looking forward to some sort of weekly space streaming soon.

Barnaby Barnacle
May 25, 2010

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

So, Vicky 2 had those world newspapers that you didn't read for very long. Does anyone remember other games that did the dynamic news story thing in a compelling way? I remember the newspapers in SimCity 2000 were pretty decent at telling you stuff in an entertaining way, even if there wasn't a lot of variety in the templates. Any others?

Yeah, Imperialism would have a newspaper show up at the start of every turn, which was a season. A strategy game with the same basic theme as Victoria, in fact, though in a more board game-like style and with a random world generator. Here's the Good Old Games store page for it. Has a screenshot featuring the paper; bold headlines are relevant to actual game events (in GOG's screenshot, those are what appear at the start of the game), the other stories are just fluff.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Barnaby Barnacle posted:

Yeah, Imperialism would have a newspaper show up at the start of every turn, which was a season. A strategy game with the same basic theme as Victoria, in fact, though in a more board game-like style and with a random world generator. Here's the Good Old Games store page for it. Has a screenshot featuring the paper; bold headlines are relevant to actual game events (in GOG's screenshot, those are what appear at the start of the game), the other stories are just fluff.

I really have to play Imperialism. I see it mentioned so often in here and it looks like it would be perfect for me (except for the interface, but I play Paradox games). I wish Paradox had managed to incorporate random events and decisions into the newspapers, it would have made the world a lot more interesting to pay attention to.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

the best game in the PSX had them

cKnoor
Nov 2, 2000

I built this thumb out of two nails, a broken bottle and some razorwire.
Slippery Tilde

DrSunshine posted:

Yes but did playing as an alien take away your ability to feel human?

Playing as pacifist bird people has had me craving for seeds. Also the humans in my galaxy are jerks.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Well, that was a disappointing game of Darkest Hour.

Played the USSR, went to partial mobilisation during the Winter War with Finland, ended up building so many divisions between then and 1941 that Germany took one look and decided not to attack me. Since I'd been using my slider moves to make the USSR less of a dictatorial hellhole, I couldn't declare war on Germany myself.

Waited until 1944 before giving up :/

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

cool and good posted:

You and I have fundamental differences of opinion regarding arumba whining

Well, true the last video or two (I forget, been a while) are lovely but the process of the whole buggy implosion is pretty great.

UrbicaMortis
Feb 16, 2012

Hmm, how shall I post today?

Gort posted:

Played the USSR, went to partial mobilisation during the Winter War with Finland, ended up building so many divisions between then and 1941 that Germany took one look and decided not to attack me. Since I'd been using my slider moves to make the USSR less of a dictatorial hellhole, I couldn't declare war on Germany myself.

Peace in our time.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Gort posted:

Congratulations, you saved millions of lives, you won :)

If you didn't care about that then you shouldn't have stopped being Stalin The Paranoid rear end in a top hat.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Gort posted:

little kulak bitch

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Gort posted:

How did Hitler's war go then?

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Darkrenown posted:

To tide people over until HoI is done:
http://store.steampowered.com/app/379980

:eyepop:

the internet was... mistake...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR

ZearothK posted:

Before the heat-death of the Universe..... maybe