Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

CommonShore posted:

I'm not sure how to tell. The leaves themselves were pretty dark - twisted and balled, closer to black than to the green of a TKY. It was mildly sweet and mostly earthy tasting. Beautiful smell.

That does it; I'm moving to Asia.

Yep you got the roasted variety :) Should have light earthy and nutty notes while still retaining the floral qualities. One of my favorite oolongs.

aldantefax posted:

i made a big tea mistake

i'll post about it when the mistake gets to my new place

Oh noooo

How many kilos of a mistake...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'

hope and vaseline posted:

Oh noooo

How many kilos of a mistake...

like, 250 lbs worth? I guess that is 113.398 kilos

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

aldantefax posted:

... wtf?...

I can't wait for your pictures. I'm pretty sure it would take me quite some time to get through all that tea. So much time that it would mostly be stale and sort of gross by the end. On the other hand, I'm sure it'll make good presents for all occasions. What's that... Independence Day? Have 2oz of tea as your party favor. Halloween? Tea. Secretaries' Day? Lots of tea.

Fake edit: My wife brought me some Assam, Darjeeling, and Masala Chai from India. She's not any better at finding tea than she was a few years ago when she brought me some dragonwell and a generic tasting oolong from China. It's decent tea, but they're all blends and really nothing special. The packaging was absurd and hilarious though. I thought getting those plastic electronics packaging was excessive. This was 4-6 layers of plastic, paper, and fabric.

Jhet fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Feb 5, 2016

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

aldantefax posted:

:aaaaa:

Though depending on location and shipping I might be persuaded to take some of it off your hands (ie buy it)so you're not left paying for 110 kg of stale tea. And I'm likely not the only one in the thread who would offer to help you recover some of that cost

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

It could be some tea equipment too?

Okay seriously how do you have 250 pounds of whatever it is coming to you and can we help?

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

I'm gonna show SA-kun my shitposting!
Keep about fifty pounds for drinking and fill up a local pool with the rest. Nothing's as clean, healthy and refreshing as tannin soaking into your pores.

Could give you a nice tan, too.

AmericanBarbarian
Nov 23, 2011

aldantefax posted:

i made a big tea mistake

i'll post about it when the mistake gets to my new place

Did you put a zero in the wrong place on an order form? Yeah, consider reselling some of that stuff. Depending on your volume you might get your door kicked in by the feds for suspicion of selling another green leafy substance so consider that possibility.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
Nawww.

It's all good. It should arrive some time next week. I will have pictures.

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

Lift Your Little Paws Like Antennas to Heaven!
I know there's a huge amount of counterfeiting in the Pu-erh world, can anyone recommend a reliable supplier of high-end pu-erh, for if I wanted to get a brick and stash it away for a decade or so?

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Teadb has a great cheat sheet of vendors. I'm a big fan of the curated ones like CLT and W2T, I haven't had much experience with factory productions. http://teadb.org/puerh-vendor-guide/

Beyond that though, keep in mind that famous productions like the menghai 7542 are counterfeited all the time and even well known vendors can sometimes slip up, and gushu/old tree/ancient bush material are the big new buzzwords for new sheng productions to drive up prices, and is really hard to tell how much actual premium tea you're paying for and how much has plantation tea used as a filler. Or how sometimes companies outright lie over the age of the tree COUGH VERDANT. https://www.reddit.com/r/puer/comments/3w68ff/does_anyone_actually_believe_this/

hope and vaseline fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Mar 6, 2016

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

While I'm at it, what can people recommend for a fan of earthy red Pu-erh, mid to high-end.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

http://www.white2tea.com/tea-shop/2015-brown-sugar-ripe-puer-tea/
Lighter fermentation than the usual shou, great character.

http://crimsonlotustea.com/collections/shou-ripe-puerh/products/2008-bulang-imperial-grade-shou-ripe-puerh
Imperial grade, made mostly from small buds, infuses very fast and will give you a lot of body for short 2 second infusions, but doesn't last as long as other shous that have more of a mix of different leaf grades.

http://crimsonlotustea.com/collections/shou-ripe-puerh/products/2014-yiwu-iron-forge-huang-pian-shou-puerh-tea-500-grams
Probably my favorite daily drinker at the moment. Made mostly of large leaf huangpian.

http://www.white2tea.com/tea-shop/basics-ripe-puer-tea-sample-set/
Pretty neat selection of 4 100g bings with different leaf grades as somewhat of an educational comparison tool.

hope and vaseline fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Mar 6, 2016

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

This is grand, thanks mate!

Verant
Oct 20, 2012

Go on an adventure ordained by fate?
-->Okay.
-->Eh.
So I got a Malawi estate white tea the other day from a local tea festival. It's actually rather tasty, though I'm not entirely sure if it was worth the $30 I paid for it. Still, not something you see every day so I figured why not.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

aldantefax posted:

Nawww.

It's all good. It should arrive some time next week. I will have pictures.

Where are the pictures Fax. We must know your 250lb Tea Mistake

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
I just ordered some Da Yu Ling and Da Hong Pao from Beautiful Taiwan Teas. I should probably pick up something for storage. Given that it's shipping from in state I should get it pretty quickly :3:

breaks
May 12, 2001

Let us know what you think! I've thought about giving them a try but haven't gotten around to it yet.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Ive had their ali shan, misty mountain, and shanlixi when I was on my gaoshan binge a few years ago and it's pretty top quality. Enjoy that da yu ling while it lasts, a lot of the tea farms are being reclaimed by the r.o.c. and many of the plantations by the famous road markers are now gone.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

i drink yorkshire tea.it has pictures of sheep and people playing cricket on the front

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

are any of you able to identify this mini tuo? I bought a bunch from a rather small vendor in Norway, and the only things they mentioned about it was that it was a 2010 sheng pu-erh from the Wuliang mountains. I kinda want to know what I got, but since it's my first try at raw it's more out of curiosity than anything else.

1st angle

2nd angle

agadhahab
Feb 4, 2009

ulvir posted:

are any of you able to identify this mini tuo? I bought a bunch from a rather small vendor in Norway, and the only things they mentioned about it was that it was a 2010 sheng pu-erh from the Wuliang mountains. I kinda want to know what I got, but since it's my first try at raw it's more out of curiosity than anything else.

1st angle

2nd angle

http://www.runmingtea.com/prre009-2010-spring-wuliang-mountain-mini-raw-pu-er-tuocha-p-1387.html

Looks like you picked a good one for a blind first try. It's even organic!

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

agadhahab posted:

http://www.runmingtea.com/prre009-2010-spring-wuliang-mountain-mini-raw-pu-er-tuocha-p-1387.html

Looks like you picked a good one for a blind first try. It's even organic!

thanks. I've never heard of Runming Tea before, are they reputable?

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

I guess I got a sample of Shanlixi thrown in too :3:

agadhahab
Feb 4, 2009

ulvir posted:

thanks. I've never heard of Runming Tea before, are they reputable?

They seem to be affiliated in some way with JK Tea Shop.

http://www.jkteashop.com/2010-spring-wuliang-mt-mini-raw-pu-erh-tuo-cha-p-420.html

I think JK is their online retailer. As far as legitimacy, JK seems to have teadb's seal of approval, and everything here passes the smell test.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

ah, cool. thanks

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'

Archenteron posted:

Where are the pictures Fax. We must know your 250lb Tea Mistake

It's coming next week (I thought it was coming two weeks ago, then it was updated to come this week, but now instead it's coming next week). I will certainly share pictures!

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I've been on a tea kick lately and have been waking up with tea instead of coffee. I've been drinking Bigelow Earl Gray. I love Earl Gray but have no loyalty to Bigelow. Is there a better bagged Earl Gray that I should be drinking?

ninja edit: Also any "If you like Earl gray then you should try ____" suggestions are welcome too.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
I haven't tried the Twinnings Earl Grey, but I like their Lady Grey. That said I'm brewing with loose and not bags.

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

kirtar posted:

I haven't tried the Twinnings Earl Grey, but I like their Lady Grey. That said I'm brewing with loose and not bags.

I'll second their Lady Grey being pretty good, I'd been getting it a lot until recently when I've started moving on to loose leaf teas.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I'm using bags because I'm lazy.

Am I right to get a fresh tea bag with every cup? I assume it's given up most of what it has, but I don't want to be unnecessarily wasteful.

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I'm using bags because I'm lazy.

Am I right to get a fresh tea bag with every cup? I assume it's given up most of what it has, but I don't want to be unnecessarily wasteful.

Bag tea is cut quite fine so you get a pretty full extraction with very little tea, so yeah, probably not worth steeping, but I guess what I'd really say is try it, if it's not strong enough for you on a re-steeping, it's not worth while, if it tastes alright, it's not like the tea-goons can think any worse of someone who drinks bagged-tea. ;)

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Well then what's a good loose earl gray tea and easily emptied/cleaned infuser.

edit: This looks cool http://smile.amazon.com/Schefs-Premium-Tea-Infuser-Stainless/dp/B00VHGFFJM/

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Tea balls are pretty bad and annoying to use. Go with a basket infuser. I'm personally not an earl grey/british tea person in general but I've heard pretty good things about Upton's selection. Keep in mind the bergamot flavoring, no matter if you're infusing with bags or loose leaf, will generally be spent on the first steep, like most flavored teas.

agadhahab
Feb 4, 2009

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Well then what's a good loose earl gray tea and easily emptied/cleaned infuser.

edit: This looks cool http://smile.amazon.com/Schefs-Premium-Tea-Infuser-Stainless/dp/B00VHGFFJM/

If you're making it a pot at a time I can't recommend this little guy hard enough.
http://www.amazon.com/Hario-Chacha-...XFP7JH74YQ98HV5 His 700ml brother is great, too.

If you're making it a cup at a time, a wire mesh basket infuser is a great option. I've seen these little guys at my local Korean/Japanese/Seasian markets for a couple bucks.
http://www.trung-nguyen-online.com/about-strainer.php
Another option, which I've found works great if you're making tea at work, is fillable tea bags. Just load up a few before work and you don't have any mess to worry about.

As for a good loose Earl Grey, my current favorites are Ahmad Tea's Earl Grey, and their Imperial Blend, which is a mix of Earl Grey and Darjeeling. I've only seen the Imperial Blend loose, but you can get the basic Earl Grey in bags as well.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Tea balls are pretty bad and annoying to use. Go with a basket infuser. I'm personally not an earl grey/british tea person in general but I've heard pretty good things about Upton's selection. Keep in mind the bergamot flavoring, no matter if you're infusing with bags or loose leaf, will generally be spent on the first steep, like most flavored teas.

Yeah the only thing I use "tea balls" for is holding spices (such as cloves) while simmering soups or stews.

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

I'm seconding the Finum brewing basket. I have five (just in case one day I have friends) and I adore them. Very easy to clean and brews a great cup of tea.

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013
Ask me about my love of genocide denial!
I'll also give the mesh basket a thumbs up. The problem with the drilled stainless or wire baskets is if you are using a fine cut leaf it can get through the holes.

Taylors of Harrogate also do some good quality "off the shelf" tea but I'm not sure how popular they are across the pond.

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

Foxtrot_13 posted:

I'll also give the mesh basket a thumbs up. The problem with the drilled stainless or wire baskets is if you are using a fine cut leaf it can get through the holes.

Taylors of Harrogate also do some good quality "off the shelf" tea but I'm not sure how popular they are across the pond.

Or worse, course cut leaves don't have enough space to unravel, so you get no water flow.

Wandering Orange
Sep 8, 2012

Here's one vote for the IngenuiTea from Adagio along with their Earl Gray Bravo (loose leaf). It is a bit of a gadget but I like it better than the basket strainers I have. Also, the Tattle Tea Earl Gray Black Tea on Amazon is decent but does not have as much bergamot flavor as Adagio's, for better or worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
I'm looking to get a gift for a friend and I know he likes green teas. I wanted to get a gaiwan? and maybe a pot, along with a couple teas or a good variety pack? Budget ~50-100