Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fspades
Jun 3, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Strategic Tea posted:

Come to think of it, one of the political themes of the books is that the Northern Kingdoms just aren't viable any more. Just out of living memory, when they were warrior kings carving civilisation into the wilderness, Temeria etc made sense.

Now that they've won their place in the world, centralisation and ruthless efficiency are the order of the day, whether that's under the Lodge, the conclave (lodge precursor), Redania, or Nilfgaard. It makes perfect sense that none of the endings set things back the way they were, because that world had been dead for quite a while.

One of the common misconceptions about the Witcher's setting is that it's a Medieval crapsack world , when it's actually an Early Modern crapsack world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.
Most of the quests that characterized the Nilfgaardians as maybe not the most enlightened people in the world, got cut. The remainders of that questline are Eye for an Eye (significantly reduced from design), Patrol Gone Missing, and Blood Ties. Coincidentally, all mine, though I don't think they were my best work; and divorced from the main quest most people never even see them.

In Eye for an Eye, the Nilfgaardians were in that village to kill the people who helped the Temerian partisans escape Velen. Which is fair in war, I suppose, though the original design was for them to be in the village capturing slaves. (I must admit, the slavery thing was not *my* design, and I'm glad it got removed.)

in Patrol Gone Missing there is a hidden event that probably 99% of people never see that reveals that the Nilfgaardians were executing prisoners of war.

In Blood Ties, the dwarf "coachman" for the noblewoman is actually a slave, though it's never explicitly mentioned.

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

in Patrol Gone Missing there is a hidden event that probably 99% of people never see that reveals that the Nilfgaardians were executing prisoners of war.

I don't know if that's the case. Finding the dead prisoners was how I stumbled on to that quest and eventually that whole military camp. It's so far out there, that I never meant to go. I also think there's that quest where you train one of those twins that paints them in a bad light.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
The Nilfgaards are utterly ruthless but they're also cultured and bring a lot of order wherever they go. They're like the Romans - gently caress with them and you'll regret it but not bad to live under.

Of course you can make the argument that even though they are good to live under it's hosed up that they instigate huge wars to acquire more territory. Yes the North might be better under their rule in the future but is that worth the tons of deaths required to make it happen?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
It's almost like human beings can be real assholes.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

Arcsquad12 posted:

It's almost like human beings can be real assholes.

I agree. Another good argument for why Dwarves should take over. :colbert:

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

What the game needs is not more examples of Nilfgaardians being assholes, but rather some examples of non-Nilgaardians being not-assholes. There's a strong temptation to just throw up your hands and say "Rot everybody."

lilbeefer
Oct 4, 2004

Shaman Ooglaboogla posted:

I don't know if that's the case. Finding the dead prisoners was how I stumbled on to that quest and eventually that whole military camp. It's so far out there, that I never meant to go. I also think there's that quest where you train one of those twins that paints them in a bad light.

Im definitely part of the 99%
Where is that?

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

fickle poofterist posted:

Where is that?

Far southeastern of the map is a huge Nilfgaardian military camp. There are two quests there. In Patrol Gone Missing after you fight the wyvern, keep investigating the area.

Shannow
Aug 30, 2003

Frumious Bandersnatch
I stumbled across that by accident also, i think i picked up a scent rail or footprints that was nothing to do with my currently active quest. So maybe more than 1% found it.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

Shannow posted:

I stumbled across that by accident also, i think i picked up a scent rail or footprints that was nothing to do with my currently active quest. So maybe more than 1% found it.

One of my goals for that quest was that you could stumble on it if you are in the area and never need to visit the questgiver, so yeah, more people might have seen it. Still, divorced from the larger nilfgaardian army quest stuff it's very isolated.

lilbeefer
Oct 4, 2004

Thats all good and well (stumbling across footprints etc) but whenever I do I am worried Ill stuff up the story elsewhere or fail a mission or something

Edit: Like i did when i stumbled across the DLC Where The Wolf and the Cat play. I wasnt ready for that, so I ran off but got a fail message.

lilbeefer fucked around with this message at 13:13 on Mar 7, 2016

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I just got Phillipa out of the bathhouse and decided to bargain with our potato-shaped spy captain by telling him what Emhyr is after, and Geralt began an insane ramble about a personal conversation about abdication that never happened. I’m guessing he’s referring to the conversation that would have happened if I’d dragged Ciri before the Emperor instead of going to Bald Mountain, which is a surprising oversight, this game’s usually really good about reactivity.

lilbeefer
Oct 4, 2004

This game is so good. Seriously.

For my second run through, I went death march but decided to alter the story as I see fit. I answered some questions differently at Vizima, and I completely unexpectedly came across Lethos in a quest that changed a fair bit from the first time I did it. This is probably common knowledge now but it was a very nice surprise to me. Fall of House Reardon. I was a bit weirded out by all the booby traps, but thought maybe it was some strange addition to the death march difficulty.

Still my favourite game ever, no hyperbole.

Rogue quest-bugging footprints or no :colbert:

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I just got Phillipa out of the bathhouse and decided to bargain with our potato-shaped spy captain by telling him what Emhyr is after, and Geralt began an insane ramble about a personal conversation about abdication that never happened. I’m guessing he’s referring to the conversation that would have happened if I’d dragged Ciri before the Emperor instead of going to Bald Mountain, which is a surprising oversight, this game’s usually really good about reactivity.

Pretty sure that Nilfgaardian General also mentions it at one point even if you didn't take Ciri to Emhyr. Could be wrong though.

e:I think it might also be mentioned in a letter from Fringilla to Yen that you can find after your first audience with Emhyr. You're right though, you could potentially miss all three,

WhiskeyWhiskers fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Mar 7, 2016

Brinstar Brew
Aug 8, 2007

Who's the guy in the Victorian diving apparatus?

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Ha, I assumed Geralt was just bullshiting

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

Thats all good and well (stumbling across footprints etc) but whenever I do I am worried Ill stuff up the story elsewhere or fail a mission or something

Edit: Like i did when i stumbled across the DLC Where The Wolf and the Cat play. I wasnt ready for that, so I ran off but got a fail message.

We put a lot of effort into preventing sequence breaking, you shouldn't worry too much.

lilbeefer
Oct 4, 2004

We put a lot of effort into preventing sequence breaking, you shouldn't worry too much.

I really am not worried. The game is incredible.

There have been times though where I stumble across red outlined clues and suddenly a quest I didnt even now about gets updated, stuff like that isn't game breaking whatsoever, but can still be a little jarring.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Question: I might be experiencing some Déja Vu. I had to reload a save and I ended up doing the Freya's Garden quest with Yennefer twice. The first time I went through it, there was a conversation about taking our findings to Emhyr after the quest ended. However, after I had to reload the save, I didn't get that conversation and instead only got it after finishing The Last Wish and teleporting back to Yen's room at the inn. I think the only difference was that the second time, I agreed to go straight to Larvik with Yen rather than saying I'd meet her there later. Was that intended or did I just get a weird conversation at the wrong time?

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
Did anyone else have a tax collector approach them during the endgame and ask completely random, non-sensical questions? I just said yes to everything and ended up having to pay 1000 crowns. :(

I looked it up afterwards, and that's a pretty neat little easter egg. Was never around for those original glitches, though.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I don't think I ever saw that one. Where does it happen?

I guess that's what people were talking about earlier when they said witchers are classified as pest exterminators for tax purposes?

lilbeefer
Oct 4, 2004

^^^^^^^I think it was added as an easter egg in one of the patches after people complained about making too much money or something.

qbert posted:

Did anyone else have a tax collector approach them during the endgame and ask completely random, non-sensical questions? I just said yes to everything and ended up having to pay 1000 crowns. :(

I looked it up afterwards, and that's a pretty neat little easter egg. Was never around for those original glitches, though.

You made the right choice as far as Im concerned. Being honest and paying the 1000 nets you 150~ xp, which unlike money is in short supply once you have answered most of the question marks.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Sindai posted:

I don't think I ever saw that one. Where does it happen?

I guess that's what people were talking about earlier when they said witchers are classified as pest exterminators for tax purposes?

It happens in Novigrad. I'm not sure if you need the HoS dlc or not for it to trigger. The questions he asks are related to crown farming glitches people used when the game first came out, but I think all of them have been patched by now.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

twistedmentat posted:

I hate having a ? I cannot discover. There are two in the mountains of Skellige that are inside, but I cannot figure out how to get there. I figure that its part of a quest.

And no matter what I do, I cannot beat any of the quest gwent players. They know exactly what i'm doing, so they won't play cards in round 1 and save them for round 2 and 3. Maybe I just need to switch to another deck besides Northern Kingdoms.

It's also annoying how I am missing the enhanced patterns for all the gear except Ursine.

As probably the only person to do all the ?s in this thread, I know which two you're talking about because they were 2 of my last 3.

One was in actually a hidden room in a plot gated area so it just took forever to find even when I returned.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Pffft I did all the question marks and I'm sure many others also did. I just didn't stop to loot those smuggler caches but I did uncover them all on the map.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

Palpek posted:

Pffft I did all the question marks and I'm sure many others also did. I just didn't stop to loot those smuggler caches but I did uncover them all on the map.

That's what I'm talking about. All PoIs.

:smug:

cmykJester
Feb 16, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I also found pretty much all of the ? On the map. Some are underground. Happy to help!

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

Am I mad for thinking of doing new game+ on death march and not fast travelling?

Kinda wonder how many little quests I missed by bouncing from travel post to travel post.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Palpek posted:

I did, which is why I had enought money to level the Ruinsmith to max without going out and farming. The most annoying this is I never managed to find Enhanced versions of any of the Witcher sets other than ursine, and I found ever cache, hidden treasure, war spoils and everything on the map, Even the places the guides said to go for them, they weren't there, just other treasure. One thing I do know when I play against is to loot as much stuff as possible early on. There were a ton of swords and armor that would have been great at early levels, but I didn't bother doing them until I was level 38.

Looting the smugglers caches was way easier when i got the indestructible boat mod. Just watched a movie while sailing around Skellige and collecting poo poo.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

twistedmentat posted:

I did, which is why I had enought money to level the Ruinsmith to max without going out and farming. The most annoying this is I never managed to find Enhanced versions of any of the Witcher sets other than ursine, and I found ever cache, hidden treasure, war spoils and everything on the map, Even the places the guides said to go for them, they weren't there, just other treasure. One thing I do know when I play against is to loot as much stuff as possible early on. There were a ton of swords and armor that would have been great at early levels, but I didn't bother doing them until I was level 38.

Looting the smugglers caches was way easier when i got the indestructible boat mod. Just watched a movie while sailing around Skellige and collecting poo poo.

The Enhanced sets are in set places not in random places though?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

JetsGuy posted:

The Enhanced sets are in set places not in random places though?

Yea, that's what I thought from reading the guide. But for example, I went to the little island just below the Tower of Mice island where Enhanced Feline armor was supposed to be, opened the chest I found and inside there was crafting materials and a mid teens level silver sword, but no pattern. I wonder if you have to have the quest activated for them to show up?

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
Nah, they should be static and trigger the relevant quest - I know bear set definitely did in that troll cave with cocksucking Thaler.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Yeah, I've definitely stumbled across armor sets without having the quest in the first place, it's a thing. Those items are in the world from the beginning.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

twistedmentat posted:

Yea, that's what I thought from reading the guide. But for example, I went to the little island just below the Tower of Mice island where Enhanced Feline armor was supposed to be, opened the chest I found and inside there was crafting materials and a mid teens level silver sword, but no pattern. I wonder if you have to have the quest activated for them to show up?

You may have been looking at a bad guide, none of the Enhanced Feline gear is located on that island.

Edit: You may be thinking of Enhanced Wolven Armor, which is located around there, in which case a) maybe you forgot to download the free dlc for that, or b) I remember there being multiple chests underwater in that area and you may have opened the wrong one.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

qbert posted:

You may have been looking at a bad guide, none of the Enhanced Feline gear is located on that island.

Edit: You may be thinking of Enhanced Wolven Armor, which is located around there, in which case a) maybe you forgot to download the free dlc for that, or b) I remember there being multiple chests underwater in that area and you may have opened the wrong one.

The chests with the armor diagrams definitely have the quest highlight to them different from the generic yellow/orange loot highlight.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

qbert posted:

Oops, yea it was probably Wolven, but I had the master crafted patterns for all the sets, just missing enhanced.

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.

Where is that?

If you travel from the southern part of Velen south of Fyke Isle towards that large camp thing in the bottom right you'll be in a forest. Eventually you will come across some tracks. Follow them and there's a cave you can see that starts a mission.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost

One of my goals for that quest was that you could stumble on it if you are in the area and never need to visit the questgiver, so yeah, more people might have seen it. Still, divorced from the larger nilfgaardian army quest stuff it's very isolated.
I think I managed to find it. Isn't there extra dialogue options with the guy back at the Nilfgaardian camp if you discover it? Because I remember getting a bit upset at the guy when he had just asked for something simple and wound up getting petty bullshit for compensation.

Wish that was a hidden achievement or something because I swear I caught that part of the quest but don't even remember enough to be sure I did that. I didn't even realize that it was not expected to be discovered fully because I figured a lot of people would go hunting around the site just as instinct to use witcher senses and presumed it was expected that most would get it sort of like the questline for finding Priscilla's attacker.

Capn Beeb posted:

Am I mad for thinking of doing new game+ on death march and not fast travelling?

Kinda wonder how many little quests I missed by bouncing from travel post to travel post.
Nah, I'm thinking of doing it on my next run with as many expansion packs around as possible. I feel I'm doing the developers a disservice by not experiencing as much of the content that they spent so much of their lives on (it's one thing if it's purely comedic because I'm hoping they enjoyed making it as much as people would have consuming it). It might take me 40 - 60 extra hours of time staring at a virtual horse butt, but we're talking at least 500+ man hours probably to add all the extra polish in that so few companies dedicate the resources to do today.

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy
So in NG+, all my alchemy formulas are gone? So, will I be stuck using normal swallow again in the beginning, instead of superior?

Also, I'm really scratching my head figuring out how to build Geralt's skills. It seems like once you hit lvl 39ish, aside from occasionally finding better swords, you're already as powerful as you're going to become, since you only have 12 skill slots and 4 mutagen slots. On the one hand, I'm glad that most of the skills are rather unique instead of some of them just being upgrades of earlier skills, but on the other hand that also means that most of the skills you equip become so fundamental that replacing them with another skill later down the line seems unthinkable.

Melee build
3 Greater Red Mutagens
1 Greater Blue Mutagen

This was the second build, I used mostly for the late-game HoS content (Since it took me that long anyway to get enough red mutagens) It's rather a glass cannon, as I was trying to focus everything on increasing my DPS, hence cat-school gear and Cat School techniques. Quen was my last resort 'poo poo, I need some health' skills, but my sign intensity wasn't particularly high so it would only be able to absord 2-3 hits at best, and against bosses would usually shatter and injure me for about as much as I gained anyway. It's extremely poweful combined with health-regenerating decoctions, but the stamina regeneration is rather slow, limiting sign use in combat. At best I'd be able to put a Quen on myself every now and then, as I'd be saving my stamina for Whirl (and occasionally Rend) anyway. Human enemies weren't an issue, since I'd put the Ignition glyph from the Runesmith on my Cat Armour, so even a weak Igni spell would still incapacitate large crowds, allowing me to run in and Whirl them to pieces in most cases. (Ignition was particularly useful against enemies with shields, since they are ignited from the direction of their allies, not you, so in most cases the shield would not prevent them from going up in flames with the rest)

It was a fun build for killing mobs of enemies, but it was difficult to fight many of the bosses, since a few hits would critically injure or outright kill me, and the slow stamina regeneration meant I couldn't rely on my signs for defense as much. The slower stamina rengeration also mean that dodging was more difficult, since I was much more cautious with my stamina management. If you combine this with Decoctions, it's an absolutely terrifying build, since you can easily make up for it's fragility with extra vitality or stamina regeneration, but you won't be able to heal without exceeding your toxicity threshold.

Sign Build
3 Greater Blue Mutagens
1 Greater Red

This was the build I played most throughout the game, and is the most forgiving. I forget exactly how high my sign intensity was, but it was nearing 200% depending on the runes I had equipped (most of which were boosting Igni). I wasn't able to deliver nearly as much damage with the sword as the melee build, but the stamina regeneration was such that I was able to rely on other means of staying alive. Again, I would use Cat Armour with the Ignition Rune, so setting crowds on fire was always an option (I could keep this up pretty much perpetually, though that made for rather boring fights), plus the Cat Armour + Cat School techniques would give a decent damage bonus to melee.

I almost never used Yrden except for the occasional ghost or vampire, and only used Aard to bust up walls and doors, so I never bothered to upgrade them. Quen could absorb a tremendous amount of damage, and is borderline overpowered, since you can come back from near death almost instantly. On many bosses or larger monsters, I was able to stunlock them with Firestream and let burning damage do it's thing while I regenerated.

This is much more of a general purpose build, and is much more forgiving than the melee build. You can take a lot of hits and regenerate quickly, so it's very forgiving if you gently caress up and need to huddle in a Quen bubble for a while. Igni will either incapacitate crowds, firestream will stunlock most tougher enemies, and if you can keep your distance you can use Axii to mind control enemies back to back (though this often bugged out on me- some enemies would often still target and run towards me, but wouldn't be able to deal damage, rather than attack one another).

I think for NG+ I'll probably combine the build and split the difference down the middle - 2 Greater Red, 2 Greater Blue, enough so that I can take advantage of whirl while still keeping decent stamina regeneration.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
The blade oil talents are really baller on NG+. Poison is % of max HP damage and I'm not sure how the -20% damage taken stacks with armor and such but it is a VERY noticeable increase in mitigation.