Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

CoreDuo posted:

I use it in the regular stone furnaces since apparently my server has that enabled. It doesn't consume the bucket.

Can't use it in boilers though, huh? Oh well, at least I'll be able to put it to use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CoreDuo
Mar 20, 2015

McFrugal posted:

Can't use it in boilers though, huh? Oh well, at least I'll be able to put it to use.

No, unfortunately. I'd tried it in both the boilers and blast furnaces.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

Need a liquid boiler to burn creosote, and even then it's not very efficient. Nice way to get rid of excess though.

This one: http://feed-the-beast.wikia.com/wiki/Liquid_Fueled_Firebox

And a either low-pressure or high-pressure boiler ontop.

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010
Talking about non-terrible modpacks, can Creosote be refined into BuildCraft fuel?

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Cryohazard posted:

Talking about non-terrible modpacks, can Creosote be refined into BuildCraft fuel?

In Regrowth, this wasn't possible. However, even though Creosote is a pretty mediocre boiler fuel, I ended up powering my base on it anyways. 10 coke ovens was enough to power a 2x2x2 liquid boiler. To source the coal needed, I used a Botania duplication catalyst, duped coal, distributed it into coke ovens, then burned the resultant coal coke in a field of endoflames. This ended up being net mana positive.

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010
Presumably that'd work with a large enough field of coal plants where that wouldn't be necessary, though?

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Cryohazard posted:

Presumably that'd work with a large enough field of coal plants where that wouldn't be necessary, though?

Yeah, probably. At that point, though, it was easier for me to automate Botania than automate farming. I did use the power so generated to run a forestry farm, though!

Hobnob
Feb 23, 2006

Ursa Adorandum

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

For the BFSR 2.0 beta, I was hoping to add another advanced chapter to the quest book, titled "The Philadelphia Experiment." I wanted to put a bunch of interdimensional shenanigans in there.

I know you don't do a lot of cross-chapter dependency or gating in BFSR, but you've got the ender-thermic pump from the ender quarry questline already. With the addition of a tesseract, setting up a near-unlimited source of lava (and thus power) by pumping from the nether is about the easiest cross-dimensional machine you can set up, you just can re-use the lava RF generator from early on.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
My girlfriend got a laptop, so I might be dragging her kicking and screaming into modded Minecraft in the not too distant future :v:

What are the darlings on Technic right now? I recall having a lot of fun with Attack of the B-Team; I like the modpacks that have all the plumbing and automation stuff splashed together with weird poo poo like a magic system. I wanna introduce her to the joys of indoor lava plumbing.

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010

deadly_pudding posted:

My girlfriend got a laptop, so I might be dragging her kicking and screaming into modded Minecraft in the not too distant future :v:

What are the darlings on Technic right now? I recall having a lot of fun with Attack of the B-Team; I like the modpacks that have all the plumbing and automation stuff splashed together with weird poo poo like a magic system. I wanna introduce her to the joys of indoor lava plumbing.

All the good poo poo is on the Curse launcher, especially when it comes to HQM packs.

VegasGoat
Nov 9, 2011

deadly_pudding posted:

Some recent packs from the thread that are good:

Baby's First Space Race (Technic) - Made by Rocko Bonaparte
Blightfall (Technic)
Regrowth (Curse)
Obscurity (Curse)
Banished (Curse)
Agrarian Skies 2 (Curse)

Ignore all of the current discussion about GT New Horizons.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

VegasShirtGuy posted:

I think New Horizons is a very interesting pack -- it's definitely a challenge pack, struggling against adversity (the recipes/balance) while figuring out new mechanics, seeing things from another perspective, doing things wholly different than you normally would. I don't think in that way it's all that different from various other restrictive packs, like Obscurity.

That said, even though it's entertaining to me in a totally different way than say, Blightfall or a normal pack would be, I don't think I could recommend it to almost anyone in good confidence.

CoreDuo
Mar 20, 2015
Apparently in the GT: NH 1.0.7.7 update the textures for sacred oak blocks changed and now my house looks weird.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

CoreDuo posted:

Apparently in the GT: NH 1.0.7.7 update the textures for sacred oak blocks changed and now my house looks weird.

It's fine, a bit of mold never killed anyone.

Akoogly Eyes
Apr 27, 2010

cheesy anime pizza undresses you with pepperoni eyes
I've been playing some TPPI lately, it's pretty fun. I realized I had a whole bunch of pyrite dust from Nether mining so I decided to look into getting a Gregtech setup going so I could process it into delicious sulfur and... :stare:

FTB Wiki posted:

The Industrial Centrifuge is an entry-level machine needed for most other GregTech recipes.

Attempting to pick it up will sometimes cause it to explode.

Attempting to open the machine as soon as it was placed will make it explode.

FTB Wiki posted:

The Industrial Centrifuge can receive up to 32 EU/p. If you supply it with any more energy than low voltage (32 EU/p), the Industrial Centrifuge will explode. (Be sure to use the LV-Transformer ). The Industrial Centrifuge consumes 5 EU/t for most recipies.

Is there a way to hook this thing up to redstone energy conduits without Greggy-boys coding just deleting the chunk my base is in?

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010

VegasShirtGuy posted:

Some recent packs from the thread that are good:

Baby's First Space Race (Technic) - Made by Rocko Bonaparte
Blightfall (Technic)
Regrowth (Curse)
Obscurity (Curse)
Banished (Curse)
Agrarian Skies 2 (Curse)

Ranked from simple to horrific bullshit, that'd be AS2, BFSR, Regrowth, Blightfall, and Banished/Obscurity are about equal.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
It's worth noting that Blightfall is horrific bullshit in a good way though. Might not be the best intro to modded minecraft though, unless you don't mind dying a lot.

Datasmurf
Jan 19, 2009

Carpe Noctem
New Horizon became a tiny bit easier as soon as I cheated myself an AE system, some ender io conduits and capacitor banks.

Well, crafting all the poo poo anyway. Still can't figure out steam power.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

i'm kinda running out of stuff to do in AS2

once you get a sifting chain, a farm, and a kitchen complex set up you sort of go post-scarcity. had fun loving around with thaumcraft but have just got a primordial pearl so am coming to the end of that. plus Blightfall was a better way to use thaumcraft.

might need to try one of the dafter modpacks.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Cryohazard posted:

Ranked from simple to horrific bullshit, that'd be AS2, BFSR, Regrowth, Blightfall, and Banished/Obscurity are about equal.

AS2 is definitely the most horrific bullshit of all the packs on that list. It's a spergy as gently caress skyblock map that requires you to make literally everything from trees. It takes like 2 hours of mindless clicking to even get past the "wait forever for trees to grow" stage, and then beyond that it's just mindless grinding to fill up numbers in a book. Skyblock packs are terrible.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Taffer posted:

AS2 is definitely the most horrific bullshit of all the packs on that list. It's a spergy as gently caress skyblock map that requires you to make literally everything from trees. It takes like 2 hours of mindless clicking to even get past the "wait forever for trees to grow" stage, and then beyond that it's just mindless grinding to fill up numbers in a book. Skyblock packs are terrible.

Regrowth is basically a skyblock and it's not terrible. Oh wait I forgot you go out and chop down/break already existing stuff.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

McFrugal posted:

Regrowth is basically a skyblock and it's not terrible. Oh wait I forgot you go out and chop down/break already existing stuff.

I started regrowth yesterday. I'm not sure I'm sold on the concept yet but it's definitely less of a grindfest than your average skyblock. There are actually resources in the world you can gather, for starters.

CoreDuo
Mar 20, 2015

Datasmurf posted:

New Horizon became a tiny bit easier as soon as I cheated myself an AE system, some ender io conduits and capacitor banks.

Well poo poo, why didn't I think of that. :downs:

Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Put the boots to him, medium style.

Hair Elf
@Taffer

Would you consider updating the Progress pack? The most fun I've had in MC has been with your pack, and I'm just too lazy to roll my own and optimize/balance everything.

bigperm
Jul 10, 2001
some obscure reference

Akoogly Eyes posted:

I've been playing some TPPI lately, it's pretty fun. I realized I had a whole bunch of pyrite dust from Nether mining so I decided to look into getting a Gregtech setup going so I could process it into delicious sulfur and... :stare:

Is there a way to hook this thing up to redstone energy conduits without Greggy-boys coding just deleting the chunk my base is in?

If RF compatibility is turned on (and it look like is in GT:NH), then you can power GT machines with it, you just need a GT transformer connected to an RF storage and the transformer will output GT EU drawn from the RF at an exchange of 36rf = 10 GT EU. This is just in GT5U, the official version does not support this.

Oh you said TPPI? That's 1.6.4 isn't it? Who know then...

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Kurr de la Cruz posted:

@Taffer

Would you consider updating the Progress pack? The most fun I've had in MC has been with your pack, and I'm just too lazy to roll my own and optimize/balance everything.

I've thought about it. But my fun in non-HQM 1.7 packs has kinda gotten stale, since mods tend to stagnate a lot when its a long time between versions. And it's been on 1.7 for a loooonnggg time. Mostly though I'm pretty busy. I have time to play some, but creating/managing a pack takes a pretty big investement.

When tech mods finally hit 1.8 proper I'll definitely make a new Progress pack though.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Cryohazard posted:

I found blightfall to be awesome. In fact i enjoyed it more than Regrowth as the quests actually lead you into making progress (though the AE system is just there and i had no idea what to do)

Magres posted:

It's worth noting that Blightfall is horrific bullshit in a good way though. Might not be the best intro to modded minecraft though, unless you don't mind dying a lot.

Blightfall was my fist mod experiance and was really really enjoyable. Dying isnt a problem as you keep your inventory, and once you figure out whats going on you die a lot less.

Taffer posted:

I started regrowth yesterday. I'm not sure I'm sold on the concept yet but it's definitely less of a grindfest than your average skyblock. There are actually resources in the world you can gather, for starters.

Regrowth is all about babysitting your crops :/ though once thats done it does open up a bit. thing is, i never got to the point where i could change a biome. Im sure i have the ability, but as there is no explicit instructions......

Im currently doing skyfactory 2. And enjoying that. It isnt much of a grind fest, though waiting for your first few trees is pretty horrible. Im sort of waking up thinking what i can do now to make progress.

Do i try to get 3 pulverisors up and running? (even though im already short on power) Do i try to up my solar power network? Do i expand off to the side and try build a lake int he hopes of getting a squid to spawn so i can start thaumcraft in order to unlock the infernal furnace so that i can finally use all the logs from my treefarm to make energy....?

Do i try to do this all at the same time lol.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Re: the original question, I would of course suggest BFSR, but if you are playing together, you can probably just do whatever without even having quests. That is assuming you are showing and explaining everything. Starting with a HQM pack does a poor job of explaining base mechanics because most of the challenge in an HQM pack is from some kind of scarcity.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Meskhenet posted:

Im currently doing skyfactory 2. And enjoying that. It isnt much of a grind fest, though waiting for your first few trees is pretty horrible. Im sort of waking up thinking what i can do now to make progress.

Does skyfactory have the mod where you can tap 'sneak' really fast to make trees grow? I know at least some of the modern skyblocks have that. It makes green sparklies when it's working.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
What's the point of Deviating Lilies? I thought I would farm them for their seeds but they almost always drop 1 when broken, so you basically get no results from that. In fact, I swear one time I got 0.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I'm experiencing a strange artifact during BFSR beta testing. Every time I reload a world I was playing in a previous instance of Minecraft, I have to delete the chickenchunks folder out of the save. I am getting an ArrayOutOfBoundsIndex inside their code from it.

When I delete that folder, it lets me load up the save, but it's putting me at the original spawn in the tutorial world with my original inventory. If I go run off and do some crap--like blow out that chunk loader in the tutorial--save, kill the chickenchunks folder, and reload, it's like nothing changed. It's Groundhog Day! I'm back at the spawn with the original inventory and the chunk loader still sitting there, looking smug.

(A Groundhog Day modpack does sound pretty funny, but that's not the goal here!)

Let's grant I've done some crazy poo poo. I took the save off of my server since it had augmentations to the tutorial dimension. I have then since added mods. My only inclination is to start a new single-player world, and be very conservative about what I take from the server's save.

Devor posted:

Does skyfactory have the mod where you can tap 'sneak' really fast to make trees grow? I know at least some of the modern skyblocks have that. It makes green sparklies when it's working.

What is this? Farting on the trees?

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Devor posted:

this sounds like the "feature" that Minefactory Reloaded sewers have where if you stand on top of one and hold shift it slowly fills with sewage :rolleyes:

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Look man, it wouldn't be a Something Awful mod if there weren't poop jokes.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

What is this? Farting on the trees?

Pooping and farting, and peeing.

How else are you going to fertilize it?

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
I think it's supposed to be a dance. Like some kind of growth ritual.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

McFrugal posted:

I think it's supposed to be a dance. Like some kind of growth ritual.

I have a mountain laurel out front that I am trying to grow that I should try this on. I'm on a corner lot so I'm sure everybody passing by can help me with the technique.

Glory of Arioch posted:

this sounds like the "feature" that Minefactory Reloaded sewers have where if you stand on top of one and hold shift it slowly fills with sewage :rolleyes:

Honestly, the funniest part about that for me has always been that I wind up turning on StickyKeys when I do that. Eww, sticky.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH
Power Crystals was the best modder. Anyone know what happened to him?

Maiden
Mar 18, 2008

He went 'gently caress, I'm done with this community,' handed the reins off, and left.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

CoreDuo posted:

Where did you get the resource pack?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CoreDuo
Mar 20, 2015

McFrugal posted:

Where did you get the resource pack?

It's Unity (just hit Download ZIP) combined with Zederrian Technology.

CoreDuo fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Mar 8, 2016