Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

frank.club posted:

Sea Lab 2021 is some goddamn win

The post-Murphy Sealab 2021 on the other hand was some goddamn garbage.

Waffleman_ posted:

Sealab and Space Ghost at least have the excuse of using old cels from bad Hanna-Barbera shows and probably not a lot of money.

Yeah, SGC2C literally started as a couple Cartoon Network employees splicing together Space Ghost clips and doing funny voices in their spare time, I wouldn't be surprised if that show was made with the change they found in the couch cushions.

Y-Hat posted:

At least Disney gave Craig McCracken a reason for getting rid of Wander Over Yonder, as stupid as it was. Adult Swim didn't give Aqua Teen Hunger Force that luxury.

"Had not been funny or entertaining in several years" is as good a reason as any.

raditts fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Mar 7, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

icantfindaname posted:

Pretty much all adult-audience animated sitcoms get away with looking like trash because ~*irony*~

The Critic seemed pretty good for its time. Mission Hill also seemed decent.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

raditts posted:

The post-Murphy Sealab 2021 on the other hand was some goddamn garbage.

Yeah, SGC2C literally started as a couple Cartoon Network employees splicing together Space Ghost clips and doing funny voices in their spare time, I wouldn't be surprised if that show was made with the change they found in the couch cushions.

"Had not been funny or entertaining in several years" is as good a reason as any.

It's not their fault that guy died

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Y-Hat posted:

I was gonna say "then maybe they should do that with other shows besides their two biggest ones," but then I remembered that We Bare Bears and Clarence (btw Clarence is still really good and everyone should watch it) are on weekly as well. It's a good move on Cartoon Network's part.

I'm guessing they're waiting for their other shows to build up a good episode log.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Looks like DuckTales is getting rebooted!

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

If its anything close to the caliber of the Mickey Mouse shorts color me excited

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Where's Launchpad :colbert:

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Martytoof posted:

Looks like DuckTales is getting rebooted!

Woo-oo.

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.
I wonder if they're going to get a new VO for Scrooge, considering that Alan Young is nearly 100 years old.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

Gann Jerrod posted:

I wonder if they're going to get a new VO for Scrooge, considering that Alan Young is nearly 100 years old.

Everybody's getting recast, so sayeth Terry McGovern (the old voice of Launchpad).

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Probably for the best. No one sounded so hot in the remake of the NES game.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Sockser posted:

If its anything close to the caliber of the Mickey Mouse shorts color me excited

I really like the new shorts, but sometimes they go a little far with the surreal Ren and Stimpy style crazy. I don't know how better to describe it so hopefully that makes some sense.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

Macaluso posted:

Where's Launchpad :colbert:

Unannounced Darkwing reboot, obv.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses
It would make sense to recast the centenarians (Young, June Foray) but Terry McGovern is not that old, and neither is Russi Taylor (the voice of the boys and Webby and who's been doing Minnie in the new Mickey shorts). If they want to go in a completely new direction, that's their prerogative, but it's interesting how it hadn't gotten any traction versus the PPG casting controversy.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I hope the boys have donald voices, not the weird surfer bullshit we got a while ago.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Why would they even do that?

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

ConanThe3rd posted:

Why would they even do that?

Appeal to a different generation.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

kefkafloyd posted:

It would make sense to recast the centenarians (Young, June Foray) but Terry McGovern is not that old, and neither is Russi Taylor (the voice of the boys and Webby and who's been doing Minnie in the new Mickey shorts). If they want to go in a completely new direction, that's their prerogative, but it's interesting how it hadn't gotten any traction versus the PPG casting controversy.

I blame twitter for the PPG stuff. Twitter seems to have a way with blowing stuff up and Tara Strong has the fanbase and tweets something like this:
https://twitter.com/tarastrong/status/608033768264318977?ref_src=twsrc

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Looks good, though I'm more interested in hearing how the new voice cast is gonna sound, Alan Young as Scrooge is gonna be a tough act to follow but to be fair the guy is nearly 100 years old so I understand the need for a change (I highly doubt Donald is going to be recast though, same with the triplets to a lesser extent).

Speaking of which, I hope this carries over the one thing Quack Pack did right: Give Huey, Dewey and Louie actual distinct personalities rather then having them be carbon copies of each other.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Electric Phantasm posted:

I blame twitter for the PPG stuff. Twitter seems to have a way with blowing stuff up and Tara Strong has the fanbase and tweets something like this:

To be frank I'm glad Tara got replaced, she hasn't been able to do Bubbles properly in more than a decade

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Xelkelvos posted:

Appeal to a different generation.

No I would understand that (Not condone, obviously) but I mean why take almost anything of Quack Pack, something of a quantifiable disaster, that isn't giving Huey, Dewey, and Louie distinct personalities?

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Electric Phantasm posted:

Poor Tara, she'll just have to settle for voice acting every other female character that isn't voiced by Grey DeLisle.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

yeah i always find it eye-rollingly dumb whenever a super famous VA pitches a shitfit about being replaced for an iconic role since the VA industry is already super tough for anyone without the last name of North, Baker, Hamill, Bailey, or Hale

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I think she was more annoyed that it all happened without even informing her and that she found out one of her iconic roles had been recast through a press release. Like immediately after that she clarified she had no ill will towards the new VA, she just wished it had been handled differently.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

raditts posted:

Poor Tara, she'll just have to settle for voice acting every other female character that isn't voiced by Grey DeLisle.

I mean... it's one of her signature characters, and they kind of did it without giving her any warning at all. They didn't even ask her. I know she does a lot of voices but Bubbles is a character that I feel could be considered "hers".

That being said, she could've handled it on twitter a lot better. I know she clarified later but it left a bad taste in a lot of people's mouths when she first reacted to it.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Macaluso posted:

Bubbles is a character that I feel could be considered "hers".

oh good this argument

great.

great.

yeah this isn't one of the main reasons why the VA industry is a nightmare to get into with all of the roles going to a bare handful of actors and actresses who all know and are close friends with each other

Macaluso posted:

I mean... it's one of her signature characters

her "signature characters" include practically half the animated female characters in the industry, if we took this argument to its natural conclusion we should just hire tara strong for any role that has breasts

oh wait

the industry already does that

NieR Occomata fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Mar 8, 2016

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

We may have finally found unobtainium but I will never find eywa.

raditts posted:

Penance for Shegor.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Toxxupation posted:

her "signature characters" include practically half the animated female characters in the industry

I don't really agree. I would say Bubbles and maybe Timmy Turner are characters that feel very specifically "Tara Strong" where as you have characters she voices like Raven or Harley Quinn or like... Dil Pickles where I can see those voices going out to others.

Like I get the VA industry is super tight knit and competitive and it's really hard for up and coming voice actors to make it, and I agree that Tara Strong having such a monopoly on so many voices is kind of a problem. But I would still say Bubbles is a Tara Strong character just like I would say Winnie the Pooh or Pete are Jim Cummings characters (and yes I get the irony there considering Jim Cummings wasn't the original voices for them)

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
That's more based on personal feelings than anything. Like why isn't Raven her character as much as bubbles except for your personal feelings? She invented Cartoon Raven's now iconic voice.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Acne Rain posted:

That's more based on personal feelings than anything. Like why isn't Raven her character as much as bubbles except for your personal feelings? She invented Cartoon Raven's now iconic voice.

Sure that's also true, I can't really argue that. It just feels a little weird to me to be annoyed at Tara Strong for daring to be upset that she wasn't asked to do Bubbles again, simply because she voices a lot of characters

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
Voice actors are super defensive about being recast because it's a common threat used during contract negotations, you probably remember a few years ago when they were threatening to replace the Simpsons team if they didn't take paycuts or holding auditions for the Futurama resurrection on Comedy Central.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I think that even the most famous/recognizable voice actors are used to being treated like absolute poo poo because they have absolutely no clout or fame to leverage in their requests to be treated fairly. Even Billy West sounds bitter as hell about getting cut from jobs all the time. It seems to be all about how you perform at that particular audition or about how connected you are. I don't think reputation counts for anything outside of that.

People who make movies and tv care about actor actors because they have some kind of fame that has a dollar value. Dedicated voice actors, despite their arguably greater skill at creating very precise characters, are nobodies to producers who don't have great relationships with them already. It seems like a very widely dismissed profession, which might be part of why they'll take whatever positive attention they can get, like bronies. To a point, anyway.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.

Jack Gladney posted:

I think that even the most famous/recognizable voice actors are used to being treated like absolute poo poo because they have absolutely no clout or fame to leverage in their requests to be treated fairly. Even Billy West sounds bitter as hell about getting cut from jobs all the time. It seems to be all about how you perform at that particular audition or about how connected you are. I don't think reputation counts for anything outside of that.

People who make movies and tv care about actor actors because they have some kind of fame that has a dollar value. Dedicated voice actors, despite their arguably greater skill at creating very precise characters, are nobodies to producers who don't have great relationships with them already. It seems like a very widely dismissed profession, which might be part of why they'll take whatever positive attention they can get, like bronies. To a point, anyway.

I remember a video interview (I think it was with Bennet the Sage or his producer) with various anime dub actors about what it's like being a dedicated voice actor. From what I recall, they're shut in cramped recording rooms for unreasonably long hours without air conditioning and as soon as they're done they go back to being herded around like extras because they're not "real" actors.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
Anime voice actors are almost all non-union. That's another reason "real" voice actors are so defensive about being replaced.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses
The best explanation of the Powerpuff saltiness I heard was by Liz Daily (Buttercup) on Rob Paulsen's Talkin' Toons. The TL:DL is something like this:

1. They did the 2012 special for scale/low pay on the promise that it would be used to get the series going again.

2. They (EG Daily, Tara, Cathy) were not invited to audition.

3. They found about the recasting when regular people did (when the reboot was announced).

4. They don't hold anything against the new voice cast.

5. Other original voices are being brought back (Tom Kenny, Roger Jackson, and so on).

That said VAing is a very insular business, but I can totally get why. Directors like working with people they know can do the job without loving up. Doesn't make being insular right, but it does explain it. With the advent of home studios and the internet it's opening up slowly, but due to acting unions it'll always be a bit more limited.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Regardless of all the drama, the main thing I hope is that the new voice cast is good. Their work in the preview clip was okay, and I think with time, they'll be pretty great too.

In unrelated news, Miraculous Ladybug's Korean dub is airing the intended two-part season finale about the origin of the heroes. Part one aired last week, and part 2 aired today. Because of episode order differences, this is the middle of the Korean season. The French dub aired them in Canada last week, and this week aired two episodes that hadn't aired in France yet. Next week, we're getting the last two episodes, I believe. I'm waiting for the rest of the season to be out before I watch the Origin episodes.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
Studios owe voice actors a lot of things, but being asked to reprise their role in a new series isn't one of them.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG
They part where they were promised the roles in exchange for doing that "special" on the cheap seems like a legitimate gripe to me.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Bass Bottles posted:

They part where they were promised the roles in exchange for doing that "special" on the cheap seems like a legitimate gripe to me.

Yeah, if that's really the case I can't be mad at them about it because that's pretty hosed up. I guess they should have gotten it in writing or something though, a verbal contract isn't worth the paper it's printed on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?

Senerio posted:

Regardless of all the drama, the main thing I hope is that the new voice cast is good. Their work in the preview clip was okay, and I think with time, they'll be pretty great too.

In unrelated news, Miraculous Ladybug's Korean dub is airing the intended two-part season finale about the origin of the heroes. Part one aired last week, and part 2 aired today. Because of episode order differences, this is the middle of the Korean season. The French dub aired them in Canada last week, and this week aired two episodes that hadn't aired in France yet. Next week, we're getting the last two episodes, I believe. I'm waiting for the rest of the season to be out before I watch the Origin episodes.

The episode order is completely hosed up, isn't it? Jagged Stone's appearances are all over the place, and the Puppeteer episode had 2 villains I don't remember ever seeing.