Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Toops posted:

Thanks dude! Nvidia's PhysX engine is fantastic, and comes native to Unity and UE. The guys that designed it are way smarter than I'll ever be, so I try to let PhysX do all the real work. I think of the ship as a simple sphere with mass, then just push on it with forces and twist it with torque. Contrast this with CryEngine which doesn't use PhysX, and CIG's ultima-fidelity-online approach, and tbh I'm impressed CIG's FM is as good as it is. It's immeasurably more complex to do individual thruster forces, and it's a wonder those ships fly at all. Literally every ship CIG makes needs its own custom physics-based flight model code, whereas I can use the same exact script, just tune the parameters, and get a completely different feeling ship based on those params alone. The time saved could be, oh, I don't know, spent working on the actual GAME?

The way I designed the flight model was just forces, torques, and per-axis dampening. When I pull in a new ship model, I just slap the FlightController on there and specify the forces for each direction of flight. Each direction also has a "damping" value, so (theoretically) you can "reduce" the net force in a given direction. Say if your main thrusters get damaged or something, you'd take forceDampeningZ from 1 to 2. Now you have half the force. I haven't found cause to use it yet, because although I register where ramming damage came from, the damage model doesn't care atm. All damage is created equal. If at some point if feels like that would add to the experience, I'll hook it up. But it's good enough for now just to have the hooks flapping around free. I try not to pre-solve problems, or add features "just because" unless the game feels like it needs it.

Then I jacked E:D's "flight assist" idea, so if you're moving but not thrusting in a given direction, the flight model applies a force opposite that direction of travel until you stop. So if you're strafing left, and you stop strafing, your ship will "strafe right" to counteract your velocity until it reaches 0. The only direction this isn't true for is forward/reverse. It feels really good to kind of "power coast" through space.

As for pitch/yaw/roll, same deal. There's a torque value per axis, and a "dampening" value. I set the torque values for each axis to limit rotation in certain directions (another Elite feature). You can pitch (rotate around x axis) much faster than you can yaw (rotate around z-axis). This naturally encourages you to roll your ship and pitch, because looking left and right feels too slow. But it also gives the ship a feeling of weight, and puts you in pilot-problem-solving mode, which I find more fun that twitch-turret-in-space mode. The net result feels way better to me than freelook noclip wallhax mode in SC.

The final bit was "boost," which is just as simple as adding an impulse force in the forward direction. In PhysX, you have several different force types. The one used for thrusters is just generic constant Force:

code:
rigidbody.AddForce(someValue, ForceMode.Force)
but you can add a "blast" of force (which handles jerk values) by:

code:
rigidbody.AddForce(someValue, ForceMode.Impulse)
PhysX handles the rest. No reason to re-invent the wheel.

You can also disable the "flight assist", and you'll get the "decoupled" or "KSP" mode, which is as simple as flipping a boolean to false, and the "anti-velocity" logic won't act on the body. The Neutron Paaarp Horn will temporarily disable people's flight assist if they're in the blast radius. So once again, I spent the time coding it this way to satisfy a gameplay requirement.

The only place things get hairy is working with rotation, really. Rotation is expressed as a Quaternion (4-dimensional projection of 3-dimensional rotation), which has literally no application to reality whatsoever, and so solutions aren't always intuitive.

Jesus loving effortpost man. I hope that wasn't boring.

So, what you're saying is if Star Citizen was made by a good development studio you'd get Elite: Dangerous. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

orcinus posted:

Change log:
- added some pixels
- removed some pixels
- removed a chair
- added a door
- removed a door
- tripled the fidelity

This is loving awesome, hahahaha.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Ash1138 posted:

Supposedly the online stuff utterly murders the framerate, so SQ42 should be smoother.

In any case if they did say that the PS4 could run it, then CIG has some of the dumbest motherfuckers running PR. They could have easily said that SQ42 runs on a [CPU and GPU roughly equal to a PS4] and it would've sounded a lot better.

To get an idea of what SQ42 will be like, go play Vanduul Swarm by yourself. It's far smoother and actually not a terrible experience.

Dusty Lens posted:

It pains me that Transverse didn't make it as it would be amazing to watch as it overtook Star Citizen.

But the short term hilarity was also good.

This is a dilemma.

Transverse was such a horribly transparent money grab that it deserved to die. That said it had some interesting ideas. I particularly liked the concept of players sentience basically being a pile of data that could be dumped into whatever body they wanted and the bad guys being errant programs that were either faulty transfers or people dying or whatever the hell it was. PGI had no chance of pulling it off though, not with sentiment against them being so harsh.

I like to point to PGI during the Transverse days as a hint of what will happen to Roberts if he fucks of SC.

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

Daztek posted:

So, what you're saying is if Star Citizen was made by a good development studio you'd get Elite: Dangerous. :v:

Correct.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Toops posted:

Correct.

Oh, will Solar Plebeian support my THRUSTMASTER T-FLIGHT HOTASS X? For maximum immersion

Norefund14days
Feb 2, 2016

NO ONE CAN HEAR YOU PARP IN SPACE.

Daztek posted:

It is a Derek joke, friend

SO Derek is actually Eight Ace....Eight Ace is Derek? Plot thickens...lol

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Norefund14days posted:

SO Derek is actually Eight Ace....Eight Ace is Derek? Plot thickens...lol

We're all Derek Smart alts, friend

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Daztek posted:

I wanted to add some spinning pink elephants, but I forgot :(

Awww, next time :D Have a few cattes pop up from the floor together and meow the harmonies while spinning elephants cross from each side.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Transverse was such a horribly transparent money grab that it deserved to die. That said it had some interesting ideas. I particularly liked the concept of players sentience basically being a pile of data that could be dumped into whatever body they wanted and the bad guys being errant programs that were either faulty transfers or people dying or whatever the hell it was. PGI had no chance of pulling it off though, not with sentiment against them being so harsh.

I like to point to PGI during the Transverse days as a hint of what will happen to Roberts if he fucks of SC.

Yes. It was a horrible, cynical project and watching it get torn to shreds from all angles was extremely satisfying.

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
We should start a death pool for which game, game studio and such die next. My bets on gears of war being a bad game by ranking, killing microsofts store.

I hope.

edit : Or rare dying from that sea pirate game they are making.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

To get an idea of what SQ42 will be like, go play Vanduul Swarm by yourself. It's far smoother and actually not a terrible experience.

To be fair I don't think they stood a chance of pulling it off even if the community had been behind them. At best it would have been Star Citizen Lite. Remember these are the guys whose biggest achievement is a gussied up arena shooter (and I say that as a fan of MWO) and even that was on the brink of disaster for most of its life.

darkarchon
Feb 2, 2016

My name is a trolling word

:golfclap: as a developer I support your way of doing things. But alas, I don't understand anything of game development. And neither do you.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Lime Tonics posted:

We should start a death pool for which game, game studio and such die next. My bets on gears of war being a bad game by ranking, killing microsofts store.

I hope.

edit : Or rare dying from that sea pirate game they are making.

I'd really like to see Gearbox get dissolved and watch Randy Pitchford's transformation into a hobo who gives blowies for beer money, but that has more to do with bitterness than it does any other reasons.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Daztek posted:

I wanted to add some spinning pink elephants, but I forgot :(

its ok, I appreciate your work

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

Toops posted:

Jesus loving effortpost man. I hope that wasn't boring.

Not at all! Now I can drop little phrases and snippets into future posts and smugly tell people they don't understand game development.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Dusty Lens posted:

Yes. It was a horrible, cynical project and watching it get torn to shreds from all angles was extremely satisfying.

Schadenfreude at its finest.

Beet Wagon posted:

To be fair I don't think they stood a chance of pulling it off even if the community had been behind them. At best it would have been Star Citizen Lite. Remember these are the guys whose biggest achievement is a gussied up arena shooter (and I say that as a fan of MWO) and even that was on the brink of disaster for most of its life.

At this point I'd say they would be doing a better job than CIG.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
I wonder what percentage of this project would have been completed if they went with Unreal engine.

Like probably closer to 30% instead of 5%?

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Mr.Tophat posted:

This is truly excellent, well done! Enjoying this a whole lot!

Thanks! I woke up with the tune in my head, writing it was like discovering fresh parp where noone has parped before! Always a good sign. Now I really have to think of something good, so it might be a while.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
Hello fellow Citizens!

I just thought this would be a good time to make you aware of my services: I am a very accomplished internet spaceman and hardware genius (go to my deviantart for some custom all-AMD PC builds) and am willing, for a not-so-small premium, to combine these two products for you:

This wacky joystick thingy:

And this Splorch, for maximum immersion in all dimensions (and orifices)

This will allow you to get comfortably seated, rest your hands behind your neck, and control your spacey boat through gentle rocking motions - all the while living out your not-at-all shameful fetisch of being infested by alien eggs.

Contact me for pricing details;

o7

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
:bernpop:

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

A Neurotic Jew posted:

We got a greenscreen!

Last night about 300 viewers watched as I fooled around and configured our new gamestreaming setup here in the LA office. I don't know why 300 people were watching, but there you were.

It's pretty obvious they're going to start asking for donations and twitch subscriptions now too

$100 and Ben undoes one button on his shirt (the pressure on each button increases every second)

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Dusty Lens posted:

It pains me that Transverse didn't make it as it would be amazing to watch as it overtook Star Citizen.

But the short term hilarity was also good.

This is a dilemma.

it was funny how shameless of a cash grab it was, but they would have probably produced a game by now

or at least a demo that wasnt complete poo poo

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

A Neurotic Jew posted:

I wonder what percentage of this project would have been completed if they went with Unreal engine.

My guess? Chris wouldn't have been able to put out as nice of a tech demo since CryEngine's main advantage is looking pretty. Subsequently SC would have been less popular, leading to them making their funding goal but not seeing the incredible level of success they are now experiencing. As a result the game would have maintained its original scope, and under the leadership of industry pros like Eric Peterson and Rob Irving (who have demonstrated just a small amount of proficiency with the Unreal engine) it would have likely struggled with the schedule but the initial release would have likely happened sometime in 2015 within the one year window past the original estimate.

Sadly that did not happen. But at least we can watch both studio heads play their respective games!

Eric Peterson:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVJTP94iIuY

Chris Roberts:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWq8ynUq7wM

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

Berious posted:

I hope some of them are T posed!

I was thinking pure ragdoll would be funnier. BUT you gave me an idea. T-posed but rifling at VERY high velocity. I mean if I had to fire a man out of a gun, that's how I would do it. And you know we're all about fidelity here at Solar Plebeian dot edu.

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

And this Splorch, for maximum immersion in all dimensions (and orifices)

This will allow you to get comfortably seated, rest your hands behind your neck, and control your spacey boat through gentle rocking motions - all the while living out your not-at-all shameful fetisch of being infested by alien eggs.

Contact me for pricing details;

o7

wtf is this thing. it keeps getting posted in here and all imagine is that it has something to do with something id rather not know

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Madcosby posted:

wtf is this thing. it keeps getting posted in here and all imagine is that it has something to do with something id rather not know

https://forums.bad-dragon.com/viewtopic.php?t=31209

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

TacticalNecromancy posted:

I just spotted that ship's covered in airhorns. This is all pretty impressive so far! Makes my little AI voice thing look very amateurish. (Because it is.)

Is there a :gary: icon for when the PAAAAARP meter's being used?

There is now!

I need to make a Paaarp button. It's used to fire the Neutron Paaaarp Horn, which is an AoE attack that does damage, knockback, and shoots you off in a completely unpredictable direction.

*Caution: do not activate while close to large rigid objects. Or do, who am I to tell you what to do?*

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

:stonk:

This thread got dark real quick. I'm out till the 10fwhatever is released.

paarp

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

Daztek posted:

Oh, will Solar Plebeian support my THRUSTMASTER T-FLIGHT HOTASS X? For maximum immersion

Eventually, probably, but not right now. Input management is one of Unity's huge weaknesses. Before I release the first playable build to you guys, I need to overhaul Unity's InputManager, which is a task I'm procrastinating. The ability to map specific arbitrary axes just flat doesn't exist in Unity out of the box, but I have a few potential solutions in mind. So for now it's m/kb.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Haha, that dude had trouble making Gelatin. Bootcha spotted?

Edit: Don't make my mistake and read that poo poo!

trucutru fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Mar 7, 2016

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat

You know Beer, I think their might be a difference in the level of dedication each of these gentlemen have put into their games. Just a silly hunch though.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
-BREAKING NEWS- Big SQ42 reveal:

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/49e14g/sandi_foundry_42_show_and_tell_fbme6omnqgsej/

Take that you negative nancys, if you're not convinced now you just don't understand game development.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Toops posted:

Eventually, probably, but not right now. Input management is one of Unity's huge weaknesses. Before I release the first playable build to you guys, I need to overhaul Unity's InputManager, which is a task I'm procrastinating. The ability to map specific arbitrary axes just flat doesn't exist in Unity out of the box, but I have a few potential solutions in mind. So for now it's m/kb.

I can find this out for you, a friend of mine just got a Unity game finished and I play that sucker with a pad

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Thoatse posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/49e14g/sandi_foundry_42_show_and_tell_fbme6omnqgsej/

Take that you negative nancys, if you're not convinced now you just don't understand game development.

I REPENT! COUNT ME AMONG THE BELIEVERS WHEN YOUR HOLY FIRE RAINS DOWN ON THE UNWORTHY!

haha j/k CIG, you guys ain't got poo poo and you know it.

Mr Fronts
Jan 31, 2016

Yo! The Mafia supports you. But don't tell no one. Spread the word.

Toops posted:

Hey plebes, weekly dev update is up. Huge thanks to Jst0rm for the amazing sound design, and Eastdrom for some sick 3d asteroid modeling. Hope you enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sErsCOKXr3Q

I'm always looking for feedback, so please share yours.

Outstanding.

You're channelling pgabz for some of the subtitle comments!

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Thoatse posted:

Nothing says 'excitement' like a room full of nerds with folded arms

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

A Neurotic Jew posted:

IDK man I don't think the engine really matters all that much, most legit devs more or less use the engine for the rendering pipeline and physics goodies, and rip the rest out. It's the fact that they're doing everything backwards, i.e. starting at polish and iterating towards gameplay, instead of what real games do, which is start at gameplay and iterate towards polish.

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

Mr Fronts posted:

Outstanding.

You're channelling pgabz for some of the subtitle comments!

I was totally inspired by how loving funny pgabz's videos are, so I try to throw those little snips in. Sorry to bite your style pgbz, but your videos are truly an inspiration.

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

Toops posted:

IDK man I don't think the engine really matters all that much, most legit devs more or less use the engine for the rendering pipeline and physics goodies, and rip the rest out. It's the fact that they're doing everything backwards, i.e. starting at polish and iterating towards gameplay, instead of what real games do, which is start at gameplay and iterate towards polish.

I don't think you really understand game development.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Toops posted:

I was totally inspired by how loving funny pgabz's videos are, so I try to throw those little snips in. Sorry to bite your style pgbz, but your videos are truly an inspiration.

It's all good man

• Locked thread