Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

So far Chris Roberts is saying words but they don't mean anything

E:

http://i.imgur.com/rBAXxsN.gifv

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

peter gabriel posted:

I honestly, honestly do not believe a single word this guy says, he's just one of those guys I guess.

I am personally excited for my space plantation simulator.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Cobblers posted:

Still not caught up with the thread, but had to say this is glorious. I don't understand how it is that you've managed to create an actually useable space-radar-thing in what must be less than 0.0001% of the time and with only several million dollars.

the answer in this case is, look to see if it's been done well already, and just do that. no need to reinvent the wheel unless you've got a much better idea, especially for minor details like radar.

BUT YES i would rather toops would spend greater amounts of time unapproving these sorts of crazy decisions and really making some headway in cryengine.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

there aren't even any npcs in this "game" that have been shown yet

human-shaped objects with an animation don't count, because the barman and mooks on the big ship don't have AI driving them

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Is there no way Toops can motion capture the radar?
This just whiffs of lazy devs to me

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Daztek posted:

So far Chris Roberts is saying words but they don't mean anything

New thread title? Star Citizen - Chris Roberts is saying words but they don't mean anything.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

it would be cool to see a list of the things that CIG "have a cool plan for" in a big long list because every 10FTC has a few more.

i find it hilarious that they only "have a cool plan" for patching new iterations of their giant colossal turd. like if the studio had any element of forward thinking at all, something like that would have been top of the laundry list

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Justin Tyme posted:

there aren't even any npcs in this "game" that have been shown yet

human-shaped objects with an animation don't count, because the barman and mooks on the big ship don't have AI driving them

The NPC ships that attack you just fly in an endless loop anyway, shooting at nothing, if you are there or not. Not only is that attack scripted, it's also complete bullshit

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

peter gabriel posted:

i want to see procedurally generated radar designs. i want to be able to custom-dev a radar on my toolbench in my spaceship

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

peter gabriel posted:

I somehow clipped through the top of it last night and ended up on a launch pad :psyduck:

That's the shortcut as I've heard it. Supposedly you can do it intentionally by hopping around back by your bed. Use it to escape detention and make a mockery of CIG's punishment mechanism. You'll make them change the game again.

A Neurotic Jew posted:

from what I've gathered the pirate spawning points are gone, but if you are a pirate entering a safe-space a few disposable security NPC's spawn.

So, now the only way to experience space combat, in a game that's supposed to be heavily oriented to space combat, is to have non-consensual encounters and possibly end up in space jail? Wonderful.

Has anyone tested yet whether you get punished for griefing if you get out of your seat before ramming into people?

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
this chris roberts guy sure has a wild imagination

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
1:36 and he still hasn't gotten to the loving point

On patch sizes being gigantic "Yeah um I uh think we have uh a really cool plan that's very configured to our new development paradigm not saying new for us but sort of the new paradigm of what we're doing which is constantly umm you know, building testing, deploying, both internally and then externally and mumble mumble you guys are the first line umm mumble public test ptu and of course the live"

I loving give up at 3:02 gently caress this

tosser

Brazilianpeanutwar fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Mar 8, 2016

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

Dusty Lens posted:

14:18 - Personally Owned NPCs
15:46 - The Point of Farming

I like where this is going.

Are the NPCs black? I'm only asking because I'm worried about immersion.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

peter gabriel posted:

The NPC ships that attack you just fly in an endless loop anyway, shooting at nothing, if you are there or not. Not only is that attack scripted, it's also complete bullshit

Do they react to your presence at all, or is it a literal script for maneuvering and shooting?

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Chris Roberts just uttered the words "Short term absolutely not"

LastCaress
May 8, 2004

bonobo
Space weed confirmed?

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

Could someone please ask Chris to annunciate more clearly and stop fidgeting?

Thanks.

LastCaress
May 8, 2004

bonobo
Space bacon from cows!

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

XK posted:

Do they react to your presence at all, or is it a literal script for maneuvering and shooting?

I sat there after losing a ship, just me drifting in space and I sat and watched them flying around in a set loop firing lasers, even the voices saying whatever it is the say were going at it 'Bandits blah blah blahhhh' - they were firing at nothing. Then it struck me, that's what they do when you are there in a ship, it's just some lasers hit you, not because they are aiming, but just the nature of probability.

I watched it for ten mins or so, it was strangely chill

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.
Classic!

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

You clearly don't understand joke development :justpost:
Keep spinning those wheels Chris.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

peter gabriel posted:

I sat there after losing a ship, just me drifting in space and I sat and watched them flying around in a set loop firing lasers, even the voices saying whatever it is the say were going at it 'Bandits blah blah blahhhh' - they were firing at nothing. Then it struck me, that's what they do when you are there in a ship, it's just some lasers hit you, not because they are aiming, but just the nature of probability.

I watched it for ten mins or so, it was strangely chill

:lol: They don't even have simple AI in the game.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/49fep5/so_i_just_played_22/

Your Star Citizen must be broken, pgabz

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

G0RF posted:

Classic!

Please check your PMs G0RF :).

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Holy poo poo! Could you enhance the last image? I think I see some asteroids being mined.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Thoatse posted:

-BREAKING NEWS- Big SQ42 reveal:

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/49e14g/sandi_foundry_42_show_and_tell_fbme6omnqgsej/

Take that you negative nancys, if you're not convinced now you just don't understand game development.

Here's me feeling like an idiot, looking at the blank monitor screens thinking 'They're joking right...'

Then I noticed the big screen, with 100+ million US dollars they can't afford to take a picture with a real camera?

Or is the idea to be 'mysterious' by showing yet another loading screen that is concealed in artifacted pixels

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Simulation of galactic macroeconomics and migration due to unemployment confirmed for star citizen. thank you croberts, 10ftc is a blessing

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

i can easily see this poster being single again too

Mr Fronts
Jan 31, 2016

Yo! The Mafia supports you. But don't tell no one. Spread the word.

peter gabriel posted:

SOLAR PLEBIAN

Starring

Liam Neeson as Chair
David Duchovny as Radar
Peter Dinklage as Trackball Joystick

e: Had to give Neeson top billing. He threatened to go missing if Duchovny was put first, and you can't have a spaceship without chairs.

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

LowellDND posted:

:five:

Are the birds direct fire, or can they pursue ships? Will they have variants? (Bird bullet hell!) How long do the birds last? If we have a 4 person match, will the birds bounce of those hex walls or fade?

Direct fire for now. I feel like it fits better with the general feeling of a pure physics-based game. Each bird is an extension of a generic "Projectile" and each projectile sub-type can be created with its own time-to-live. Right now I have it at 8 seconds. There will have to be some kind of cleanup logic because too many rigidbodies with colliders attached in one scene, and performance will freaking tank. TTL is the most basic approach, so I figured it was a good starting point. And yeah, they'l bounce off the walls, or anything else with a collider. We're dealing with never-before-seen levels of fidelity and immersion here folks.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

1:36 and he still hasn't gotten to the loving point

On patch sizes being gigantic "Yeah um I uh think we have uh a really cool plan that's very configured to our new development paradigm not saying new for us but sort of the new paradigm of what we're doing which is constantly umm you know, building testing, deploying, both internally and then externally and mumble mumble you guys are the first line umm mumble public test ptu and of course the live"

I loving give up at 3:02 gently caress this

tosser

Jesus gently caress! Refactor your .pak files so that you have a lot more and each ones is smaller. Then use a loving off-the-shelf solution to update them after a patch. Why are you spending developers time (or saying you are) to solve a non-problem?

Toops posted:

Direct fire for now. I feel like it fits better with the general feeling of a pure physics-based game. Each bird is an extension of a generic "Projectile" and each projectile sub-type can be created with its own time-to-live. Right now I have it at 8 seconds. There will have to be some kind of cleanup logic because too many rigidbodies with colliders attached in one scene, and performance will freaking tank. TTL is the most basic approach, so I figured it was a good starting point. And yeah, they'l bounce off the walls, or anything else with a collider. We're dealing with never-before-seen levels of fidelity and immersion here folks.

Will the blue bird divide into three sub-birds?

tastychicken
Jul 17, 2007
Title text goes here

This ment I had to sit in my wank cabin for a few seconds extra. I was devestated and uninstalled the whole thing. GET A REFUND!

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

Daztek posted:

You need to find a decent program, most are terrible or expensive, I don't feel like resorting to :filez:, so I'm using OpenShot in an Ubuntu VM :downs:

I use Wondershare which is pretty cheap (like 50 duckets or st). It doesn't have much in the way of editing features, but it has all the basics (text, video, audio editing lanes, transitions, effects, etc). The editing interface is insanely intuitive. It gets the job done and it does 1920x1080 60p just fine for my tastes.

You could totally do it.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

So did CR confirm that I can buy people to work my space farm or is it back to the drawing board.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

XK posted:

:lol: They don't even have simple AI in the game.

I honestly don't know, but it made a lot of sense, what I was seeing from afar was exactly what you saw when you were in the thick of it.
It was an odd moment, because I don't think many people have seen that, or realise what it means.

sanctimoniousqfd
Dec 16, 2015
"Tattoo-er-wee-in"...

The self-proclaimed Star Wars fanatic who cannot pronounce Tatooine (taa-too-een)

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

Oh cool he uses Re-Wired! Right on, that was one of the solutions I had in mind. I'm always wary about pulling down "big" components from the asset store, because often the time spent making it compatible and bug-free is roughly equivalent to just doing it yourself.

Anyway, much appreciated!

Also, if you have a link for how to view/purchase/support the game (if it's released), would be good to give it some love.

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin

Variable 5 posted:

Oh, and to pretend that Line of Defense is an actual game that actual people will actually want to play.

I'll take "things that will never happen for 500" Alex.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Toops posted:

Oh cool he uses Re-Wired! Right on, that was one of the solutions I had in mind. I'm always wary about pulling down "big" components from the asset store, because often the time spent making it compatible and bug-free is roughly equivalent to just doing it yourself.

Anyway, much appreciated!

Also, if you have a link for how to view/purchase/support the game (if it's released), would be good to give it some love.

Yeah he reckons that does everything, in his words 'even your stupid hot rear end will work with it'

I'll see if I can get you a build of the game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

You clearly don't understand joke development :justpost:
Idea for Solar Plebian: 1 in every 100 birds fired will play the audio clip of Chris promising birds in the game. Or make it a one per cent chance that it happens, maybe even lower?

• Locked thread