Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

UCLA confirmed for being involved in this hot mess, I'm so so sorry bruins :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
hey in case anyone wants to commemerate Chairgate by buying a Xi'an scout (or a Sabre), CIG has made them available to buy until the 14th!

Only $150 and $170 respectively. :homebrew:

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

Beet Wagon posted:

Time to fire up the old kickstarter, Commando Toops!

poo poo. I'm gonna need to meet a great PR person. Preferably female.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

trucutru posted:

Jesus gently caress! Refactor your .pak files so that you have a lot more and each ones is smaller. Then use a loving off-the-shelf solution to update them after a patch. Why are you spending developers time (or saying you are) to solve a non-problem?

Or even more simply, don't take THREE loving YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAARS!!!!!!!!

TO.

SORT.

OUT.

A.

PATCHHERRRRRRRR!!

Sorry i'm calm now,promise.

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

You clearly don't understand joke development :justpost:
Solar Plebian: If the game crashes, provide an excuse report which selects one of eight common explanations for the state of the game by citizens. 'It's a pre-pre-pre Alpha!' 'You clearly don't understand games development' That sort of thing.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

There is just no way

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

Did Chris confirm whether there will be an ovipositor mini-game?

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

Cobblers posted:

Still not caught up with the thread, but had to say this is glorious. I don't understand how it is that you've managed to create an actually useable space-radar-thing in what must be less than 0.0001% of the time and with only several million dollars.

lol if I had millions I'd obviously be on a stage in a black mock turtleneck waving my arms like a loving madman.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

D1E posted:

Did Chris confirm whether there will be an ovipositor mini-game?

You can bring birds to the medical bay to extract their cloacas

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

Solar Plebian: You have to ram a button to close a literal thread shop. Your reward? A little dancing Lesnik in the corner. The more you ram, the quicker he dances.

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

peter gabriel posted:

Is there no way Toops can motion capture the radar?
This just whiffs of lazy devs to me

I called up ol' Andy Serkis but he said his studio is booked solid for the next 9 months by one single "peculiarly well-funded" client.

:shrug:

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Toops posted:

I use Wondershare which is pretty cheap (like 50 duckets or st). It doesn't have much in the way of editing features, but it has all the basics (text, video, audio editing lanes, transitions, effects, etc). The editing interface is insanely intuitive. It gets the job done and it does 1920x1080 60p just fine for my tastes.

You could totally do it.

That looks pretty good, I'll give the trial a try tomorrow. Odd that it never popped up in my quest to find a decent program that's between windows movie maker and the giants like sony vegas

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

this is the first 10FTC I've listened to in a very long time, are they all pretty much like this?

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
they're usually longer

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

mp5 posted:

this is the first 10FTC I've listened to in a very long time, are they all pretty much like this?

This one's pretty low key, usually there's even more insane promises backed up by vague mumbling

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

trucutru posted:

Will the blue bird divide into three sub-birds?

Only if you have LTI on the bird-gun. That insures your birds, however each sub-bird will not have LTI, but you can melt the "subbies" and upgrade them on the PlebeStore (working title) then unmelt or purchase LTI "subbie" tokens on the grey market and post-apply the damage points for retroactive bird retrieval, or you could do a cross-beak-upgrade to a limited-edition bird with mama-baby transferrable LTI and get it that way.

Lot of options.

Mr.Tophat posted:

Idea for Solar Plebian: 1 in every 100 birds fired will play the audio clip of Chris promising birds in the game. Or make it a one per cent chance that it happens, maybe even lower?

Are you crazy the last thing I need is a pissed off Ortwin Frothmeyer frothing up my poo poo. I mean it's a good idea and I like it, but no I don't need Orwin "The Shitbull" Frostmire up in my face.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Toops posted:

poo poo. I'm gonna need to meet a great PR person. Preferably female.

I can offer you my many imaginary degrees!

Also, on a side note in class right now we're talking about sponges and I'm gaining a lot of insight into Lesnick's behavior.

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

Daztek posted:

That looks pretty good, I'll give the trial a try tomorrow. Odd that it never popped up in my quest to find a decent program that's between windows movie maker and the giants like sony vegas

Yeah they need help with their SEO.

The demo's basically full-featured, but it annoyingly puts a watermark over your exported vids. Meh, they deserve the money imo. Just make sure to export at the maximum bitrate (30k) for immersion purposes of course.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Toops posted:

Are you crazy the last thing I need is a pissed off Ortwin Frothmeyer frothing up my poo poo. I mean it's a good idea and I like it, but no I don't need Orwin "The Shitbull" Frostmire up in my face.

The logo is already pushing it, what's one more thing? :v:

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Toops posted:

Only if you have LTI on the bird-gun. That insures your birds, however each sub-bird will not have LTI, but you can melt the "subbies" and upgrade them on the PlebeStore (working title) then unmelt or purchase LTI "subbie" tokens on the grey market and post-apply the damage points for retroactive bird retrieval, or you could do a cross-beak-upgrade to a limited-edition bird with mama-baby transferrable LTI and get it that way.

Lot of options.

If I record a badly done clip of me going "yeah we have birds" would that work? I can't imagine that'd be grounds for a lawsuit.

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3
Q: Are there any plans to streamline patch sizes?

A: So yes absolutely we have a plan in fact I sat down ah earlier this week which would be the previous week to you seeing this cos we're recording this on Friday and you um watch us on Monday, ehm but ehmmmm yeah I think we have a really aahhh cool plan that's very configured to ah our new development paradigm ah, you know, ah, not saying new for us but sort of the new paradigm of what WE'RE doing which is constantly ehm, you know, building, testing, DEPLOYING ah both internally and then externally to, ah, you know, you guys in the community ahm first level and so the um public test universe the PTU and then of course the live and so, you know we need a solution that we can be... BUILDING rapidly and iterating rapidly and getting to as efficiently as possible and our current one is not the best, cos it has the sort of big monolithic pack files, each pack file... is... two gigs, and there's quite a few of 'em, and if one file changes in it you have to build the whole pack file and the way our... BUILD SYSTEM works and all the DATA is we have to rebuild all the DATA, ah, into the pack files right now, ah ...

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

SomethingJones posted:

A: So yes absolutely we have a plan in fact I sat down ah earlier this week which would be the previous week to you seeing this cos we're recording this on Friday and you um watch us on Monday, ehm but ehmmmm yeah I think we have a really aahhh cool plan that's very configured to ah our new development paradigm ah, you know, ah, not saying new for us but sort of the new paradigm of what WE'RE doing which is constantly ehm, you know, building, testing, DEPLOYING ah both internally and then externally to, ah, you know, you guys in the community ahm first level and so the um public test universe the PTU and then of course the live and so, you know we need a solution that we can be... BUILDING rapidly and iterating rapidly and getting to as efficiently as possible and our current one is not the best, cos it has the sort of big monolithic pack files, each pack file... is... two gigs, and there's quite a few of 'em, and if one file changes in it you have to build the whole pack file and the way our... BUILD SYSTEM works and all the DATA is we have to rebuild all the DATA, ah, into the pack files right now, ah ...

Is this verbatim? Not that I doubt it.

This poo poo is PRE-RECORDED. gently caress.

Stanko-Prussian
May 22, 2006

CLEAN YOUR ROOM!, 'they' said.
DO YOUR HOMEWORK!, 'they' said.
WHY ARE YOU IN LOVE WITH A CARTOON PONY, 'they' said.
FOR GODSAKE! STOP SHOWING US YOUR BLACKHOLE'!! 'they' said.

When I lit the match....STOP SCREAMING, 'I' said

Toops posted:

Lot of options.

introducing the stadium announcer: Rob Chriserts, voiced by [someone with access to a lot of weed]

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Mr.Tophat posted:

This poo poo is PRE-RECORDEDendearing. gently caress.

:gary:

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

Daztek posted:

The logo is already pushing it, what's one more thing? :v:

Yeah no doubt. I was thinking about changing up the leafy border with like barbed wire or something. Then it should be solid. If anyone has some shop-chops and a bitta free time, I'd be much obliged.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xsdghekcpsotlut/solar_plebeian.svg?dl=0

As long as I don't do anything outlandish like actually try to monetize this thing, then it's all gravy anyway.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

How can they not whip up the code for at least a preliminary level patcher in an afternoon. I could do that. I wrote a pretty fantastic compression engine in x86-64 assembly in 2 days, surely CIG's stable of programmers could knock out a releasable delta patcher for a pre-alpha game within a month. It would save them tons of money on bandwidth too, several full time employees annual salaries worth, let alone the PR win for keeping backers from having to download 30 GB every week, or sometimes twice per day. There is clearly nobody managing this project.

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

Beet Wagon posted:

If I record a badly done clip of me going "yeah we have birds" would that work? I can't imagine that'd be grounds for a lawsuit.

DO IT. Preferably in an Australian accent. Or Austrian. Either way.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
here's his actual response. fuckin hell.

quote:

[2:12] Starripper asks: Are there any plans to stream line the patch sizes? I am on the road a lot and use my cellular data to update Star Citizen, the updates ear up a lot of gigs right now especially when there are multiple patches.

quote:

So yes absolutely. We have a plan, in fact I sat down earlier this week which would be the previous week to you seeing this as we’re recording this on a Friday and you’re going to watch this on a Monday. But yeah I think we have a really cool plan that’s very configured to our new development paradigm.

Not saying new for us, but the new paradigm of what we’re doing which is constantly building, testing, deploying both internally and then externally to, you guys in the community at first level the Public Test Universe the PTU then of course to live and so we needed a solution that we can can be building rapidly and iterating rapidly and getting it to you as efficiently as possible. And our current one is not the best because it has these big monolithic PAK files and each PAK file is two gigs and there’s quite a few of them and if one file changes in it, you have to rebuild the whole PAK file and the way our build system works with all the data is we have to rebuild all the data into the PAK files right now, which essentially means we spend about three hours if we do a full build about an hour if we just do a code build.

But that’s a huge amount, so it’s problematic in terms of getting that done and then testing it instead of there’s an issue then you have to go back. So we want a solution that’s much more flexible and iterative and we also want one that means we’re not saturating everyone’s bandwidth. Cause it’s not just on you guys side but it’s also on our side. Every byte we push costs us money ‘cause it’s coming off the Amazon CDN that we’re using. So we have a plan that I think is much cooler, smarter one that is all built all around incremental builds of both data and code as soon as it’s assimilated into the code base and all the individual files are tagged and held in a huge object store and the patch will know what to pull down and what changed.

So even if you’ve changed a couple of files no longer will we be pulling down a whole new two gig object PAK or something like that. It will just be pulling down the specific files, it will also allow them to version back and forth between them. So there’s a really really cool plan it’s going to be done by combination of DevOps team in Austin and the folks in the Frankfurt office and Turbulent are all putting this together and building and it’s going to be super cool!

Not going to be deployed tomorrow. I just signed off on the whole design, we’ve laid a lot of the groundwork but a lot of it is going to take some time and testing but when it comes online it’s going to make a massive difference for our ability to turn around builds for you guys quickly and also to reduce the amount of data that we saturate both our CDN and you guys on your bandwidth limits. So i’m pretty excited by that it will just allow us to be more flexible and more nimble which is good. So next question

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

SomethingJones posted:

Isn't paradigm one of those buzzwords people use when they don't actually know what they're talking about?

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Toops posted:

DO IT. Preferably in an Australian accent. Or Austrian. Either way.

I am neither of those, but I will record a couple of each. If nothing else it will confuse the poo poo out of my coworkers. I can also see if my logo person can take a whack at de-lawsuit-ing that logo and see what she comes up with.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Nation posted:

What a total joke - they had a literal stage this weekend to show anything at all instead they post a quarter of an image on reddit lol

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Sappo569 posted:

Isn't paradigm one of those buzzwords people use when they don't actually know what they're talking about?

http://www.atrixnet.com/bs-generator.html

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

Mr.Tophat posted:

This poo poo is PRE-RECORDED. gently caress.

100% verbatim. He can't even script his answers. And his wife has clearly given him some marketing terms to try and use, and it has confused him.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

:pgabz:

That's me in the corner
That's me in the basement
Losing my immersion

Waiting for stuff to work
And i think I'll be staying single
Oh noes I said too much
I haven't bought enough
I thought that I bought a hugbox
I thought that I bought a win
I'll see you in the verse Commando (shameless plug)

:pgabz:

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Thoatse posted:

-BREAKING NEWS- Big SQ42 reveal:

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/49e14g/sandi_foundry_42_show_and_tell_fbme6omnqgsej/

Take that you negative nancys, if you're not convinced now you just don't understand game development.

No spoiler tag? gently caress you, now the game is ruined for me!

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

A Neurotic Jew posted:

Wow, how totally convenient that they just now sat down- well not now see it's monday but actually it was Friday but if you cross the international date line it was also thursday whoa- that they just had a meeting about this problem. How very proactive their paradigm shifting is.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

A Neurotic Jew posted:

So yes absolutely. We have a plan, in fact I sat down earlier this week which would be the previous week to you seeing this as we’re recording this on a Friday and you’re going to watch this on a Monday. But yeah I think we have a really cool plan that’s very configured to our new development paradigm.

Not saying new for us, but the new paradigm of what we’re doing which is constantly building, testing, deploying both internally and then externally to, you guys in the community at first level the Public Test Universe the PTU then of course to live and so we needed a solution that we can can be building rapidly and iterating rapidly and getting it to you as efficiently as possible. And our current one is not the best because it has these big monolithic PAK files and each PAK file is two gigs and there’s quite a few of them and if one file changes in it, you have to rebuild the whole PAK file and the way our build system works with all the data is we have to rebuild all the data into the PAK files right now, which essentially means we spend about three hours if we do a full build about an hour if we just do a code build.

But that’s a huge amount, so it’s problematic in terms of getting that done and then testing it instead of there’s an issue then you have to go back. So we want a solution that’s much more flexible and iterative and we also want one that means we’re not saturating everyone’s bandwidth. Cause it’s not just on you guys side but it’s also on our side. Every byte we push costs us money ‘cause it’s coming off the Amazon CDN that we’re using. So we have a plan that I think is much cooler, smarter one that is all built all around incremental builds of both data and code as soon as it’s assimilated into the code base and all the individual files are tagged and held in a huge object store and the patch will know what to pull down and what changed.

So even if you’ve changed a couple of files no longer will we be pulling down a whole new two gig object PAK or something like that. It will just be pulling down the specific files, it will also allow them to version back and forth between them. So there’s a really really cool plan it’s going to be done by combination of DevOps team in Austin and the folks in the Frankfurt office and Turbulent are all putting this together and building and it’s going to be super cool!

Not going to be deployed tomorrow. I just signed off on the whole design, we’ve laid a lot of the groundwork but a lot of it is going to take some time and testing but when it comes online it’s going to make a massive difference for our ability to turn around builds for you guys quickly and also to reduce the amount of data that we saturate both our CDN and you guys on your bandwidth limits. So i’m pretty excited by that it will just allow us to be more flexible and more nimble which is good. So next question

Just delta patch it you loving dipshit. It's a software technique that's existed for generations, can be pulled off by first year CS students, and completely avoids any issue concerning concatenated files or whatever. At worst, you have to give it a window into your encryption/compression. "We're still trying to figure it out, here's your second 30 GB update today."

HKS
Jan 31, 2005

XK posted:

There is clearly nobody managing this project.

Imagine how you feel if the company mostly a scam - you can't be the one to start doing stuff. Even if its 'good' you'll just bring more people to it.

Whatever you do that isn't a direct order from the criminals themselves may actually implicate you if things go south. And you could feel guilt just making the trap more efficient even if it doesn't.

I bet CIG has many good managers, but how can anyone work freely and proactively in this environment?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

A Neurotic Jew posted:

God that mushmouth motherfucker annoys me so much that I almost want to call him a oval office and threaten to kill him.

• Locked thread