Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

8ender posted:

The Germans loving love 13mm and hipster fasteners like triple square and torx

Not originally, basically everything from VW's aircooled era is 10mm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

literally a fish posted:

Ah yes, the perfect metric socket set. 23mm, 21mm, 19mm, 18mm, 17mm, 16mm, 15mm, 14mm, 13mm, 12mm, 12mm, 11mm, 10mm, 10mm, 10mm, 10mm, 10mm, 10mm, 10mm, 10mm, 10mm, 10mm, 9mm, 8mm, 6mm, 5mm

Missing the 5.5mm. :colbert:

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

xzzy posted:

Not originally, basically everything from VW's aircooled era is 10mm.

There is a fair share of 13mm on my 72 beetle. And that one random 11mm for the distributor clamp (though I think originally that was 13mm too).

Xy Hapu
Mar 7, 2004

FuzzKill
Apr 1, 2005

Snuff the punk.
I was beside a truck the other day and on the rear rotors you could see the silhouette of the vanes coming through the face of the rotor. He had been going metal on metal for a long time. I laughed to myself, I've seen them online and in the junkyard and at work (parts) but I've never seen one driving around.

Then he started to creep forward at the light. The rotor didn't turn with the wheel :gonk:

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Like how the gently caress does someone drive on poo poo like this, my brakes start making whumpa whumpa or other noises that I haven't heard they get a through the rim inspection then when I get home a wheel is coming off.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

Splizwarf posted:

Missing the 5.5mm. :colbert:

Get outta here Ford. No one likes you anyways.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

tater_salad posted:

Like how the gently caress does someone drive on poo poo like this, my brakes start making whumpa whumpa or other noises that I haven't heard they get a through the rim inspection then when I get home a wheel is coming off.

I hear cars on i85 in Atlanta daily with brakes that I'm fairly sure are grinding on the caliper.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost

SouthsideSaint posted:

Get outta here Ford. No one likes you anyways.

Ford has a hard on for 18mm fasteners, which is missing from many socket and wrench sets. When a set has 19mm and 3/4 inch but no 18mm, I lose my poo poo.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Both of my Honda motorcycles can be stripped almost down to the ground with nothing but 8, 10, 12, 14 and 17mm wrenches and 4, 5, and 6mm hex keys. It's pretty nice.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Aircooled vw can pretty much be taken down to nothing with
I think there were a few hexes on some of the tin.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

SNiPER_Magnum posted:

Ford has a hard on for 18mm fasteners, which is missing from many socket and wrench sets. When a set has 19mm and 3/4 inch but no 18mm, I lose my poo poo.

No socket set I've ever purchased comes with 16mm or 18mm and I can't figure out why.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

wildemere posted:

I work for a Japanese measurement company and some of our instruments still have the old big round 5 & 7 pin DIN connectors for input/output functions. Like RS-232 or remote keyboard & setpoints.

But then the PS/2 connectors are also basically mini DIN.

Japs liked German tech... So did IBM as well

Who knows why...

Ps2 connectors really are miniDIN, not just a close approximation.

At least they aren't loving dsub connectors though. The footprint for DIN and miniDIN connectors is logical and well dimensioned by comparison.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

SNiPER_Magnum posted:

That is the number one reason I buy a lot of grey pneumatic. There sets are usually 7-19 and take a beating.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Geirskogul posted:

No socket set I've ever purchased comes with 16mm or 18mm and I can't figure out why.

16mm is 5/8, so use one of those. Not sure what 18mm is, but maybe it's something else more common.
E: Hm, no, it's between 11/16 and 3/4 (which is 19mm). Don't know what to tell you on that one.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Raluek posted:

16mm is 5/8, so use one of those. Not sure what 18mm is, but maybe it's something else more common.
E: Hm, no, it's between 11/16 and 3/4 (which is 19mm). Don't know what to tell you on that one.

18 mm is between 45/64 and 23/32, so use one of those!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

tater_salad posted:

Best I can come up with is they assume any new noise is from a pebble or some other debris getting stuck somewhere and if they keep driving it'll work itself out and the problem is solved. Or it's those greedy corporations trying to get people to spend money on unnecessary repairs and dang it they're gonna stick it to the man and show them it didn't work!

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Am I...missing an eyebrow?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Uthor posted:

I laughed too hard at this.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Uthor posted:

lol if you don't have a 91/128 socket

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Socket chat

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

H110Hawk posted:

Socket chat

:suspense: How fast did everyone move when that thing gave way?

When we were putting the lift up at my buddy's shop, something went wrong and it started to tip. One second there were three guys standing around, the next there was nobody, but you could hear one dudes giggling coming from somewhere in the ringing aftermath.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Oh boy, was the inevitable customer melt down where they yell how you guys destroyed their perfectly good truck and it didn't have a spec of rust when it came in and now YOU personally owe them a new truck as funny in reality as it is in my head?

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

SNiPER_Magnum posted:

I bought a Kobalt socket set because I was pretty broke but not HF broke, and it skips 11mm on the 12 point deep 3/8" and 1/2" drive. That's very close to 1/2", but it's not worth the chance when the poo poo has been bolted together for fifteen years and has seen some time near the gulf coast.

Also, that pile of sockets is some monkey-hand bs. The last time I got rid of a bunch of poo poo tools my crackhead mother thinks I need, I started breaking ratchets and sockets doing normal work. She dove a few dumpsters or something and brought home another shitpile of sockets and my tools stopped breaking.

Edit: if you don't inspect Toyota frames before putting them on a lift, you kinda deserve the headache. At least that crapcan is dead and no one had to get sardined.

EightBit fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Mar 8, 2016

a rowdy mullet
Feb 12, 2009

H110Hawk posted:

Socket chat

And Washington state rarely uses salt on the roads too :stare:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

literally a fish posted:

Ah yes, the perfect metric socket set. 23mm, 21mm, 19mm, 18mm, 17mm, 16mm, 15mm, 14mm, 13mm, 12mm, 12mm, 11mm, 10mm, 10mm, 10mm, 10mm, 10mm, 10mm, 10mm, 10mm, 10mm, 10mm, 9mm, 8mm, 6mm, 5mm

Some chucklefuck decided most of the interior bits on my car need to be attached with screws with a 7mm head. :fuckoff:

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

a rowdy mullet posted:

And Washington state rarely uses salt on the roads too :stare:

I think there was a recall on that exact model of truck for frame rust. So I guess you send a photo off to Toyota corporate and ask them to pick up the corpse.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

8ender posted:

I think there was a recall on that exact model of truck for frame rust. So I guess you send a photo off to Toyota corporate and ask them to pick up the corpse.

Unless you have a lift kit or other "evidence of off-road use"

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

EightBit posted:

it skips 11mm on the 12 point deep 3/8" and 1/2" drive. That's very close to 1/2"

13mm, surely?

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Geirskogul posted:

Unless you have a lift kit or other "evidence of off-road use"
"Here have a 4x4 pickup, but if you take it off road your warranty is void."

Then again I guess the majority of their customers never do.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

My kingdom for a thin wall ratcheting 16mm spanner

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

Raluek posted:

13mm, surely?

13mm is just over and 12mm is just under; 1/2" is workable on an 11mm bolt head, but I'd rather not risk rounding poo poo off.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Cakefool posted:

My kingdom for a thin wall ratcheting 16mm spanner

How thin? I really like my Snap-On 14mm.

E: Wait, this isn't the tools thread :gonk:

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

This is the bitching about tools thread.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

Raluek posted:

13mm, surely?

7/16th is very close to 11mm

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

SouthsideSaint posted:

7/16th is very close to 11mm

close enough that people will argue to the death that jeep CPS bolts are 7/16... even though they have a metric thread.

Also, did that taco pass its state safety inspection? :v:

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Collateral Damage posted:

"Here have a 4x4 pickup, but if you take it off road your warranty is void."

Then again I guess the majority of their customers never do.

I'm pretty sure they just want to not replace the frames on trail rigs.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

tater_salad posted:

Aircooled vw can pretty much be taken down to nothing with
I think there were a few hexes on some of the tin.

Gotta keep a 32mm around too for the gland nut and the axle bolts. One thing I always thought was nifty was on stuff where you have to use 2 wrenches, VW was nice enough to make the bolt and nut 2 different sizes, so as to not require you to have 2 17mm or 19mm wrenches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
Tools are great, but they're better when used for correcting failures.

liiike heater cores.

Bonus of buying a vehicle that hasn't been driven much in the past 10 years.

:nms: bonus of buying a ranch truck that wasn't driven much in the past 10 years.