Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat

XK posted:

Just delta patch it you loving dipshit. It's a software technique that's existed for generations, can be pulled off by first year CS students, and completely avoids any issue concerning concatenated files or whatever. At worst, you have to give it a window into your encryption/compression. "We're still trying to figure it out, here's your second 30 GB update today."

You think Mr. WWWW Roberts knows what the hell delta patching is? He'll figure it out eventually.

...Unless, wait does Elite Dangerous use delta patching?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

A Neurotic Jew posted:

here's his actual response. fuckin hell.

jesus what is this word salad :psyboom:

HKS
Jan 31, 2005

If I was a manager at CIG at this moment I would not bring up a patcher to Chris. What's the point?

I'll just do exactly what he tells me to do and collect my checks while looking for better poo poo. The whole company is doing that.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

quote:

Not saying new for us, but the new paradigm of what we’re doing

...WHAT?! :psyboom:

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

Toops posted:

It's immeasurably more complex to do individual thruster forces, and it's a wonder those ships fly at all. Literally every ship CIG makes needs its own custom physics-based flight model code.

I sincerely doubt they're doing that.
My bet is, it's not even a sphere, but a single point with a vector thrust sum calculated from the inputs fudged with constants.

I've seen 0 evidence of individual thrusters being modeled, much less a proper mass distribution and CoM.

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3
Q: Aside from shopkeepers, quest-givers and other NPCs considered essential in other games, are NPCs in a given area going to be generated randomly based on the current environment and the parameters set in the area?

A: (looks worried) So what's gonna happen is... the... we have a universe simulation that runs on a separate server, and that's much more a sort of... BIG PICTURE simulation, think of it like, I dunno, a... a... CIVILIZATION game or something like that, sort of a slower turn based game and that actually is simulating the universe, what all the NPCs are doing sort of on a macro basis, who's trading with WHAT, what's producing WHAT, what goods are needed WHERE, where pirates are attacking and so the general outcomes of those results are all happening on the universe simulation in its own process... and then that's getting trickled down into the local game servers that are all the players, i.e. you guys are attaching to and playing in, and... and... the... the... SNAPSHOT of what's happening on the universe server is then sort of carried across the game server so what would happen is for instance... ah you know, if you were down on ah ah a PLANET it would say "OK well you know ah, this planet is a MINING planet and ah, you know, so, I will generate, ah, you know, and the population is *this* size... ah... therefore ah you know we'll probably populate the landing area with X number of NPCs, OF the X number of NPCs... 60% of them will be MINERS, and we'll have, you know, LAW ENFORCEMENT and you know, and we'll have some service workers like in the bars and stuff like that, and it will all be sort of generated by, ah... the... DATA that... is pushed down or pulled down from the universe server and so ......

HKS
Jan 31, 2005

Yea even Chris doesn't believe what he's saying anymore.

Norefund14days
Feb 2, 2016

NO ONE CAN HEAR YOU PARP IN SPACE.

Daztek posted:

We're all Derek Smart alts, friend

:rock:

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

Mr Fronts posted:

David Duchovny as Radar

Mr. Radar.
Who's gonna be Mr. Coffee?

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien
Wait.... There's going to be farming in this game. HAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHA.

Christ, he wants Stardew Citizen.

SomethingJones posted:

Q: Aside from shopkeepers, quest-givers and other NPCs considered essential in other games, are NPCs in a given area going to be generated randomly based on the current environment and the parameters set in the area?

A: (looks worried) So what's gonna happen is... the... we have a universe simulation that runs on a separate server, and that's much more a sort of... BIG PICTURE simulation, think of it like, I dunno, a... a... CIVILIZATION game or something like that, sort of a slower turn based game and that actually is simulating the universe, what all the NPCs are doing sort of on a macro basis, who's trading with WHAT, what's producing WHAT, what goods are needed WHERE, where pirates are attacking and so the general outcomes of those results are all happening on the universe simulation in its own process... and then that's getting trickled down into the local game servers that are all the players, i.e. you guys are attaching to and playing in, and... and... the... the... SNAPSHOT of what's happening on the universe server is then sort of carried across the game server so what would happen is for instance... ah you know, if you were down on ah ah a PLANET it would say "OK well you know ah, this planet is a MINING planet and ah, you know, so, I will generate, ah, you know, and the population is *this* size... ah... therefore ah you know we'll probably populate the landing area with X number of NPCs, OF the X number of NPCs... 60% of them will be MINERS, and we'll have, you know, LAW ENFORCEMENT and you know, and we'll have some service workers like in the bars and stuff like that, and it will all be sort of generated by, ah... the... DATA that... is pushed down or pulled down from the universe server and so ......

FFS, I thought this was parody. -_-

NVB
Jan 23, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

And here we have the most awful thing I've ever done.I was trying to go for a crime scene vibe....

:eyepoop:

Also posting from page 2270 i'll eventually catch back up :circlefap:

Amarcarts
Feb 21, 2007

This looks a lot like suffering.

trucutru posted:

You can bring birds to the medical bay to extract their cloacas

It's weird I was just thinking about the word cloaca. It's a cool word.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

Roberts hasn't just not followed the development of gaming since the 90s, he hasn't been following the development of management waffle speech! No one says new paradigm anymore, it's as old hat as 'synergistic.' Innovative, agile and dynamic. That's what you need to be spewing.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Roberts hasn't just not followed the development of gaming since the 90s, he hasn't been following the development of management waffle speech! No one says new paradigm anymore, it's as old hat as 'synergistic.' Innovative, agile and dynamic. That's what you need to be spewing.

I've heard bandwidth used a lot lately in marketing terms

Maybe he could start mumbling about bandwidth? Then the backers wouldn't know if he was talking marketing or gigabites

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

*snortle*

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

WHEN WE DON'T KNOW WHO TO HATE, WE HATE OURSELVES.-SA USER NATION (AKA ME!)
the verse was on another server this whole time

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

Ravane posted:

Wait.... There's going to be farming in this game. HAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHA.

priced between $425 and $900 depending on the variant :homebrew:

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development
Potato quality photo analysis:

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3
Q: Within the context of fantasy space flight ... Should there be an advantage to getting on your target's 'six' and staying there, or is that pretty much negated by 6DOF flight?

A: I will say that in all circumstances even with, you know, six degrees of freedom and the ability to, ah, you know, do lateral and horizontal and... ah... you know... vertical, sort of em, strafing, ah, as well as sort of, ah, you know, change your orientation and maybe not your velocity vector, ah, which is sort of the decoupled stuff, um, always getting on, ah, you know, getting BEHIND someone, or in their BLIND SIDE is a bit of an advantage, now the difference, in, ah, our system and flight model if you're a good pilot, is you'll be able to get out of that situation, you'll have more OPTIONS than you do in regular atmospheric, ah, you know air combat manoeuvring, but, em, you know, obviously you wanna get BEHIND someone because, you know, ah they can't bring their gun... you know, most guns are forward facing also visibility's usually forward facing so you know OUTSIDE OF the bigger ships with turrets then you know, ah, getting behind, ah, people or someone in a dogfight is usually, ah, it will give you an edge and advantage even if they can recover from it... ah, quicker than they can in, ah, you know, traditional, you know, ah, CURRENT DAY, atmospheric, ah, air combat.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

SomethingJones posted:

In a perfect world, that's close to the best way to pull it off. One server all-encompassing instance managing global trends, and passing that off to and taking input from all the various sub-instances. The odds of them actually pulling it off are extremely :lol:.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

orcinus posted:

*snortle*

Still laugh every time I see her profile picture

Reminds me of the 45 year old dad I saw when I was 15, he was dressed head to toe in sk8er wear.

Her airbrushed to poo poo professional head-shot from when she was 30 isn't fooling anyone

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

SomethingJones posted:

I could only read until the second sentence and the stench of bullshit is unbearable even for this transcript

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

Ravane posted:

FFS, I thought this was parody. -_-

This is word for word my friend, I have never watched one of these 10FTC before but I've lurked this thread for ages. People need to see this. If you were interviewing this guy for a management position and his answers were like this, would you hire him?

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

XK posted:

Just delta patch it you loving dipshit. It's a software technique that's existed for generations, can be pulled off by first year CS students, and completely avoids any issue concerning concatenated files or whatever. At worst, you have to give it a window into your encryption/compression. "We're still trying to figure it out, here's your second 30 GB update today."

The real reason is that their codebase is a mess and they cannot touch the assets from the .pak files without having all sorts of errors when their code looks for them in the wrong place. They have had so many people come and go (and get fired) that they do not know how to deal with all the content spread around without any logic.

Wrecked Angle
May 12, 2012

"JURASSIC PARK!"

SomethingJones posted:

fascinating transcript

Sounds like not only have they got this poo poo all worked out but most of it is already complete and working in the secret dev build right now.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Amarcarts posted:

It's weird I was just thinking about the word cloaca. It's a cool word.

happens all the time :pervert:

Tha_Joker_GAmer
Aug 16, 2006
he actually used the word paradigm unironically

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

A Neurotic Jew posted:

here's his actual response. fuckin hell.
I like how he repeated says it's a really "cool" plan like anyone gives a poo poo. Imagine this mushmouth idiot answering the question in the same way to someone working for a publisher.

Wrecked Angle
May 12, 2012

"JURASSIC PARK!"
Okay, just this one more because of the, you know, sheer signal to noise ratio..

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3
Q: We already have a flyable Constellation and a flyable P-52 Merlin. How far are we from a workable tech for docking and undocking? Is this something we can expect in the near future or is this a functionality planned further down the line?

A: Yeah ah you know I really wanna actually get the fifty... P52 and the Constellation, ah, to WORK together cos they're, they're MEANT to... to... work together, it is probably something we will ah, start to work on with ah, Craig after... Craig Gransell who's done the sort of landing system, he's still got some... landing system stuff that he's wrapping up for Squadron FORTY TWO and some... enhancements for Star Citizen and that, this will probably be the next... TASK to get this working it's not THAT difficult, I mean basically you just kinda wanna get... it's just like the landing system really you get in a certain area and then you say Ok... DOCK and then we'll just sorta bring you in and CONNECT you and the Merlin will be attached to the Constellation and then, hopefully you can get out and you should just be able to enter into the... back of the Constellation so ah, I do wanna (incoherent mumble) cos it's ah, NOT... that difficult technically to get working it's really just people have had a whole bunch of other things they're working on first, ah for instance you know we... ah... you know... HAVEN'T SHOWN IT YET, but you know we have an IDRIS FLYING AROUND and you can land inside it and take off inside it and, em, walk around it and it's pretty cool so um, ah, that was sort of the higher priority and we've still got some stuff to do on the bigger ships in terms of ah.... ..... sadjkf hasdlkjfhasdkbjlsdafldsfal kjasdlalsdfhldsf kladsflald hdh dsfjk

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe
Guise. Please stop.

:psyboom:

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

trucutru posted:

The real reason is that their codebase is a mess and they cannot touch the assets from the .pak files without having all sorts of errors when their code looks for them in the wrong place. They have had so many people come and go (and get fired) that they do not know how to deal with all the content spread around without any logic.

A byte level delta patcher shouldn't have any issue with this. It's literally just update the bits that changed. Like I said, at worst they'd have to give it a window into any encryption/compression they may be using. It can exist entirely outside the game engine, just naively updating bytes in a file.

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

orcinus posted:

Guise. Please stop.

:psyboom:
All I can think of is this scene from Spies Like Us https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-EdZEJfPPeM&t=21s

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

he sounds constantly like he's doing the most boring jeff goldblum impression of all time

Beef Hardcheese
Jan 21, 2003

HOW ABOUT I LASH YOUR SHIT

Wrecked Angle posted:

Sounds like not only have they got this poo poo all worked out but most of it is already complete and working in the secret dev build right now.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Paarp, uh, finds a way

Plural Abysss
Feb 25, 2016

peter gabriel posted:

The NPC ships that attack you just fly in an endless loop anyway, shooting at nothing, if you are there or not. Not only is that attack scripted, it's also complete bullshit

This is unbelievable totally expected. Can you feature a little of this in your next vid?

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

my husband is cooking dinner tonight and our cat Bear was following him around the kitchen, crying. so he got the idea to pull up a chair for the cat and let him watch as he cooked

bear is very pleased

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3
Q: So the Endeavour has bio domes. What will be the point of farming? And will there be bacon farming?

A: Well the point of farming will be... ah, you know, the BIO DOMES will allow you to grow, ah, agriculture, you know, crops, ah, and you'll be able to... SELL those, probably for a premium so the idea will be, the Bio Domes in the Endeavour are sort of growing things that you couldn't normally necessarily grow on a planet, and you can maybe sell for a premium, whatever it would be, ah, I'm sure lotsa people will go "SPACE WEED!" but um, you know there'll be plenty of other things too, ahaha, um, so... you know it's, it's ah, it's a sort of farming mechanic, so you'd have that in, ah, you know you'd have that in space, you'd maintain it like perhaps you know, you have to take the... your ship would have to be a certain distance from the local system STAR or, you know you'd have to tend, fend for it make sure it's... ah, you know GROWN in, you know, like, perhaps the lower gravity setup makes you able to grow a better strain of... whatever it will be, WHEAT etc ah, so there you go

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?
Let me get this straight - if someone takes north of $100 million dollars to "make a game", and it turns out they never planned to, it's fraud and it's a clear-cut crime. But if someone asks the person "did you intend to make a game" and that person says "yes" and points to studios, employees, and poo poo - it's not a crime? 38 Studios intended to make a game, had employees and poo poo, and they're in a world of trouble. I really hate to think that CIG is going to get away with this simply because it can be proven that they "attempted" it. I know they're hiding behind the "donation" veil, but how much protection can that really offer? Is it fraud when the stupidity lies solely on the backers not knowing how inept the CEO is? Every time Chris opens his mouth, I realize he honestly is developmentally disabled, and in no circumstances should be in charge of this project. But we don't have investors to bring the hammer down, and we don't have a publisher to do it either. How can a shitshow based purely on the stupidity of the general public, a proven limitless resource, ever be brought to an end?

• Locked thread