Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I love how Jason was scuba diving just about every episode and used a bad sound alike over stock scuba diving footage. And then when they had him cameo in the Turbo movie they just went with it and made it his hobby.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

greatn posted:

I love how Jason was scuba diving just about every episode and used a bad sound alike over stock scuba diving footage. And then when they had him cameo in the Turbo movie they just went with it and made it his hobby.

Alongside Kimberly, who vanished to go pursue a gymnastics career.

The thing that always got me was keeping the Zyuranger look when they started using Dairanger footage. Why keep the old look instead of switching costumes and make up a new villain? New costumes means you can push new toys.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Star Man posted:

The thing that always got me was keeping the Zyuranger look when they started using Dairanger footage. Why keep the old look instead of switching costumes and make up a new villain? New costumes means you can push new toys.

Because the brand was still new and they didn't want to risk losing the fanbase by changing the look.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
It's a drat shame, the dairanger suits own

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Some Numbers posted:

Because the brand was still new and they didn't want to risk losing the fanbase by changing the look.

That would have been my first guess. It just creates a very awkward couple of seasons.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
In hindsight, sure, kids would still watch the show with uniforms, but at the time would you want to be the exec that pushed for them to use different footage? You very well could've killed the show with such a decision.

On the other side of things, the original suits and original series are by far the most recognized/memorable PR series.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

As a kid going from mmpr to zeo was easier than it would be going to the "weird" dairanger suits. I understand the decision.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

RBX posted:

As a kid going from mmpr to zeo was easier than it would be going to the "weird" dairanger suits. I understand the decision.

Especially as it gave them time to build up to the Zeo suits, and we had the Alien Rangers help ease into the transition.

I think they did the best thing they could. Their real problem was...

Look. Season 2 was a *NIGHTMARE* behind the scenes. They didn't have ANY of the Dairanger monsters or suits, meaning the fights they could do were limited and ugly- the footage they DID have from Dairanger, the zord fights, sucked compared to Zyuranger, and then as they start to get into a groove there, half of their main characters leave the show so abruptly that they had ADR lines to finish.

After they're done juggling that buttfuck of a problem and try to desperately introduce new characters to take over, they run into the brick wall that was The Movie, which forced the entire shooting staff to move overseas and for them to lose their actors periodically, and at one point entirely.

The fact that season 2 is at all coherent and didn't get the franchise cancelled is a goddamn miracle.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Star Man posted:

From what I've heard it had to do with much of Dairanger's footage being unusable by Saban for a host of different reasons ranging from that show's human villains showing up too much(and them dressing up like a bunch of S&M people didn't help) to their weapons being unfeasible to show or market in the current climate(they used sticks and there had been a recent international incident involving beatings with sticks, so that made it verboten to use), when it came to Season 3 and Kakuranger that was more just Saban being stubborn than anything

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

drrockso20 posted:

From what I've heard it had to do with much of Dairanger's footage being unusable by Saban for a host of different reasons ranging from that show's human villains showing up too much(and them dressing up like a bunch of S&M people didn't help) to their weapons being unfeasible to show or market in the current climate(they used sticks and there had been a recent international incident involving beatings with sticks, so that made it verboten to use), when it came to Season 3 and Kakuranger that was more just Saban being stubborn than anything

I assume you could use exactly the same justification for Go Busters.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

SKY COQ posted:

I assume you could use exactly the same justification for Go Busters.

The main reason they skipped Go Busters was cause it did abysmally in Japan so Bandai had no faith about a PR adaptation so they allowed Saban to skip it and just do Kyoryuger instead, similarly they felt that TOQger wouldn't sell here in the USA and let them skip it for Nininger instead, makes me wonder if Jyuohger is also going to get skipped

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

drrockso20 posted:

The main reason they skipped Go Busters was cause it did abysmally in Japan

Was this ever actually stated anywhere? I've heard plenty of fan speculation but never anything from Bandai or Saban

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Go-Busters is so weird. It's got these MMPR references which fans kept saying must to make the adaptation easier, except it was all just sound-effects and thus totally irrelevant. Like, the morphin brace saying IT'S MORPHIN TIME means dick all to ease of adaptation; having the primary antagonist be a human in a labcoat makes it way more awkward, though :v:

Oh, and the final wave of kaijuu all have MESSIAH written on them in fluorescent pink lettering.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
I could be wrong, but I feel like a Go-Busters adaptation could have been a huge hit in the US.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Honestly I feel since they were getting new powers anyway they should have just transitioned over to the Kakuranger suits at the start of Season 3 (with Pink becoming White), and the medals on the Doron Changers could easily be passed off as a new set of Power Coins. Though the problem with that is what to do with the remaining ranger, though I suppose they could have:

A. Kicked one ranger off the team early on and just had a five-man team plus Ninjor.

B. Invent a morph sequence/morpher for Ninjor and turn him into a ranger (though that would also mean they'd have to get the Ninja powers in a different way).

or

C. Invent an American-exclusive Silver Ranger or something to pilot the Falconzord.

Of course that would mean the transition to Zeo would be different considering there would be no Alien Ranger saga but it could probably work. I'm still happy with what we got though. Hell, I consider Season 3 to be the best of the MMPR era (and, having seen all of it now, Kakuranger to be the best of the 3 Sentai that made up the series, even if it did take a little while to actually develop a real plot).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Mar 8, 2016

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I would never want season 3 to be any different than what it was.

The way they adapated it was amazing and beautiful. They started at the end of Kaku, then they went to the beginning and then went to the VERY end and then back tracked to the middle. If you watch it JUST for the comparison to the Sentai, it is the most schizophrenic thing ever devised by man.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Burkion posted:

I would never want season 3 to be any different than what it was.

The way they adapated it was amazing and beautiful. They started at the end of Kaku, then they went to the beginning and then went to the VERY end and then back tracked to the middle. If you watch it JUST for the comparison to the Sentai, it is the most schizophrenic thing ever devised by man.

This, more than anything else, is why I'm super excited for the Kakuranger DVD release.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
All this talk about season 2 and 3 makes me want to check it and see how much of the seems of it I can notice. Like a few weeks ago (months?) I saw a stream where they were showing musical episodes and the Zeo one was randomly the series finale of the sentai it was adapting, with a huge robotic caterpillar just destroying the zord and everyone losing their powers for a bit and Jason having to step in and buy time.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Burkion posted:

and then as they start to get into a groove there, half of their main characters leave the show so abruptly that they had ADR lines to finish.

They could have avoided this one by just actually paying them properly after they said "hey, you're making megabucks off this thing but treating us like poo poo."

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Box of Bunnies posted:

They could have avoided this one by just actually paying them properly after they said "hey, you're making megabucks off this thing but treating us like poo poo."

They could have. The actors could have not literally walked off set as well.

It's not as simple as it can be made out to be and I don't think any of us know exactly what went down so I don't tend to go into who's right or who's wrong. Just how they had to deal with the problem.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Idk man those kids were worldwide superstars getting paid pennies in comparison. I'll never hold that against them. Saban was just lucky enough they had infinite material given to them every year that it didn't bite them in the rear end.

RBX fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Mar 8, 2016

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
The latter half of season two is just unwatchable to me, even as a kid. My favorite characters left, and the cool Japanese fight scenes were replaced with horribly spliced footage. After a certain point the new monsters and rangers just never interact on screen.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

JT Smiley posted:

The latter half of season two is just unwatchable to me, even as a kid. My favorite characters left, and the cool Japanese fight scenes were replaced with horribly spliced footage. After a certain point the new monsters and rangers just never interact on screen.

Didn't a lot of the fights eventually become 99% them beating up Putties and then finishing the monster off with the admittedly pretty bitching Power Bazooka they had at the time

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Raserys posted:

It's a drat shame, the dairanger suits own

I love the Dairanger helmets. The smooth silver mouth pieces just look badass.

Good thing they adapted them in Super Mega Force. :v:

Darth TNT fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Mar 8, 2016

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

drrockso20 posted:

Also, drunken fist boxing.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Burkion posted:

They could have. The actors could have not literally walked off set as well.

It's not as simple as it can be made out to be and I don't think any of us know exactly what went down so I don't tend to go into who's right or who's wrong. Just how they had to deal with the problem.

It's actuallysimpler than its made out to be, they were out to make as much profit as they could and did whatever it took to maximize it.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Which is why they used non-union actors.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Behind the scenes stuff about Power Rangers has always been a bit more entertaining than Power Rangers.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007
JDF being gone for weeks and weeks of Dino Thunder was pretty hilarious. It had to have been a solid month's worth of episodes that they had to film with the suit actor and do a voice over later because JDF went on vacation.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Morby posted:

JDF being gone for weeks and weeks of Dino Thunder was pretty hilarious. It had to have been a solid month's worth of episodes that they had to film with the suit actor and do a voice over later because JDF went on vacation.

To be fair to the guy, he was having to leave his family to go to New Zealand and film.

Not sure why they couldn't just bring his family with him, but then again they could barely afford to fly people over for Megaforce so you know.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Burkion posted:

To be fair to the guy, he was having to leave his family to go to New Zealand and film.

Not sure why they couldn't just bring his family with him, but then again they could barely afford to fly people over for Megaforce so you know.

Well, when you're as much of a cheapskate as Haim Saban...

I'm watching early episodes of Zyuranger. I don't like being that guy that says the original script is better than the English translation, but in this case, it's nice watching the show without the awkwardness of splicing footage. Like, I watched the second episode of Zyuranger where they fight DoraSkeleton and save the kids from the shrunken space shuttle. I went back and watched the second episode of Power Rangers on Netflix and watched for the space shuttle. I know that I noticed inconsistencies when I watched this as an eight-year-old, like the Megazord costume's gauntlet is now a hand in a form-fitting glove when holding the Power Sword. But god drat, it's like Saban didn't even try to hide the fact that it's a spliced-together show.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Just saw an episode where Jason takes the gang scuba diving. It turns into like a 3 minute PSA about diving safety and checking your equipment, and Austin St John looks super psyched talking about it. Was he actually a diver of some kind, or a better actor than I have him credit for?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

greatn posted:

Just saw an episode where Jason takes the gang scuba diving. It turns into like a 3 minute PSA about diving safety and checking your equipment, and Austin St John looks super psyched talking about it. Was he actually a diver of some kind, or a better actor than I have him credit for?

If I recall, casting for the first few seasons prioritized actual martial artists and athletes and whatnot so St. John probably was at least an amateur diver.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Burkion posted:

Disney is not Saban

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Does anyone have a link to that compilation video of every time they say "Super Mega" in Super Megaforce?

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Poison Mushroom posted:

Does anyone have a link to that compilation video of every time they say "Super Mega" in Super Megaforce?

Like some sort of Super-Mega-cut?

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
I was watching Super Megaforce with my son on Netflix and when I saw original green ranger guy I was like man you got old, a second later I realized we both got old :(

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Don't worry, JDF is young at heart just like Jesus Christ. Would an old guy do this?! *breaks boards while falling from the sky and screaming KIYAAAA*

Or this?! *every photo of JDF with someone else involves JDF holding up a fist as if he's about to throw down some brawls, no matter how inappropriate*

How about this?! *pretends to be a white rapper for over a month then unceremoniously drops it after producing horrible photoshops of himself, but totally brings it up again when he's lonely and bored at 3 AM*

I bet no old fogey would post endless photos of his hot wife and expensive cars, right? *also promotes his adolescent daughter's instagram account to his legion of adult male fans in between posting about convention appearances every weekend*

Jason David Frank is the youngest of all men. Definitely not middle-aged, washed-up, and trying desperately to be otherwise.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Don't worry, JDF is young at heart just like Jesus Christ. Would an old guy do this?! *breaks boards while falling from the sky and screaming KIYAAAA*

Or this?! *every photo of JDF with someone else involves JDF holding up a fist as if he's about to throw down some brawls, no matter how inappropriate*

How about this?! *pretends to be a white rapper for over a month then unceremoniously drops it after producing horrible photoshops of himself, but totally brings it up again when he's lonely and bored at 3 AM*

I bet no old fogey would post endless photos of his hot wife and expensive cars, right? *also promotes his adolescent daughter's instagram account to his legion of adult male fans in between posting about convention appearances every weekend*

Jason David Frank is the youngest of all men. Definitely not middle-aged, washed-up, and trying desperately to be otherwise.

I'd say that he's doing okay, otherwise. JDF may be a washed up never-was, but I say he's lived a pretty successful life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Got my Legacy Thunder Megazord in the mail today. Pretty hefty price tag, but it's the one I wanted most. Now to get the Legacy Tigerzord which is thankfully much cheaper.

Have they announced if they're going to do any more Legacy Megazords?