Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Pellisworth posted:

The blade oil talents are really baller on NG+. Poison is % of max HP damage and I'm not sure how the -20% damage taken stacks with armor and such but it is a VERY noticeable increase in mitigation.

Yea, the only points i put into potions was in those skills. Even before I had Iris or enhanced bear sword, I was devastating human enemies with those skills and enhanced Hanged Mans.

Though I never figured out if the Wild Hunt were men or monsters. I would assume that they were steel swords targets because regular elves were. But switching swords didn't really seem to make a difference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost
For some reason Imlirith is weak to Draconoid oil.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

twistedmentat posted:

Yea, the only points i put into potions was in those skills. Even before I had Iris or enhanced bear sword, I was devastating human enemies with those skills and enhanced Hanged Mans.
:stare: You need to sink three points into Acquired Tolerance asap. Its probably the most overpowered skill in the game and lets you take all of the sweet drugs you could ever want.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Ravenfood posted:

:stare: You need to sink three points into Acquired Tolerance asap. Its probably the most overpowered skill in the game and lets you take all of the sweet drugs you could ever want.

Is that the one that increases your toxicity threshold? I probably should have taken it so I could use a decotion and a regular potion without looking like a Sith Lord.

lilbeefer
Oct 4, 2004

So a tiny but cool detail (as usual), what did I do differently in my new game that caused the bloody baron's toll bridge guards to be found slain by black ones and getting looted by NPCs when got to that location? First game i played through they wanted to charge me to cross the bridge...

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy
How do potions and whatnot work in NG+? Do you have access to the potions and decoctions you've already made, can you make more of them, or do you need to hunt them down again?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Time to be a pedant. Am I supposed to believe that Kaer Morhen is only a week's ride from Vizima? I thought it was up in the mountains of Kaedwen. Even riding at a full gallop nonstop.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I’m using the extra skill slots mod when I get to NG+ because I’m only level 34 and I haven’t felt able to equip anything new for about six levels now.

also, I got to Through Time and Space and I’m a little confused about the world that’s been destroyed by the White Frost. Av’Allach says “this is Tedd Deireadh, The Final Age” so I’m guessing it’s not just one of the many worlds it’s taken. Is it Witcherland in the future? He also said something about this coming to all worlds eventually which kind of suggested it wasn’t. When he says this is where Geralt fought the projection of the King of the Wild Hunt – I don’t remember that area looking like that but whatever it was like ten years ago on the Neverwinter Nights engine – and Ciri did as well, why is that lighthouse basement so important to Eredin that he loves sending his astral projection to hang out and punk people there? Why do the Wild Hunt seem to have this sort of weird bond and ability to harness the White Frost when they’re just trying to escape it? These are usually the kind of My Worldbuilding questions I don’t give a poo poo about but I guess too many of them came to mind at once and now I feel a bit lost. Maybe some of them will be answered in the ending but as far as I can tell I’m just off to call up Eredin’s boat on Uber and stab him when he arrives.

Lunchmeat Larry fucked around with this message at 11:43 on Mar 8, 2016

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.

necrobobsledder posted:

I think I managed to find it. Isn't there extra dialogue options with the guy back at the Nilfgaardian camp if you discover it? Because I remember getting a bit upset at the guy when he had just asked for something simple and wound up getting petty bullshit for compensation.

Yeah, the alternate dialogue is Geralt basically saying, "You lied to me." and then the quartermaster saying "Well you didn't need to know." And Geralt can refuse payment.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Mr Helith has just starting playing this on his xbox one.

Must.
Resist.
Urge.
To.
Backseat.
Game.

He hasn't played the others or read the books so he's going in blind. I can't wait to see what choices he makes.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Helith posted:

Mr Helith has just starting playing this on his xbox one.

Must.
Resist.
Urge.
To.
Backseat.
Game.

He hasn't played the others or read the books so he's going in blind. I can't wait to see what choices he makes.
Just make sure he keeps letho alive.

Shannow
Aug 30, 2003

Frumious Bandersnatch

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

Yeah, the alternate dialogue is Geralt basically saying, "You lied to me." and then the quartermaster saying "Well you didn't need to know." And Geralt can refuse payment.

I called him out on it and refused his blood money and things got a bit frosty but then we played gwent together and he's all 'honour and glory' whenever I stop by.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one

Nasgate posted:

It's part of the strong alcohol regeneration. I recomend the increased crit(katakan?) all the time, and werewolf if you're doing hidden treasures or exploring ?
Isn't it just +5% crit chance? There is a level scaled generic light-armor gauntlet that gives you a flat +10% crit chance.

I only just realized decotations were reusable, the one that regens vitality whenever you use stamina is silly good. But I've had 1500+ DPS on my level 23 weapons for a while now and everything just dies instantly. And somehow fistfights went from being the easiest combat in the game to the absolute hardest.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Just make sure he keeps letho alive.

Like, duh!
First thing I told him was to simulate a save and say that everyone survived even though he doesn't know who the gently caress they are.
I was going to evangelise about Gwent when I noticed he was in the first innkeeps shop inventory, but he looked confused because he hasn't met Gaunter yet so I backed off.
He's gone to bed now. Boo.

cmykJester
Feb 16, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Just let him play the game on his own terms. Backseat gamers are the worst.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

cmykjester posted:

Just let him play the game on his own terms. Backseat gamers are the worst.

I know and I won't!
I don't want him to miss anything because I enjoyed it so much.

lilbeefer
Oct 4, 2004

Helith posted:

Like, duh!
First thing I told him was to simulate a save and say that everyone survived even though he doesn't know who the gently caress they are.
I was going to evangelise about Gwent when I noticed he was in the first innkeeps shop inventory, but he looked confused because he hasn't met Gaunter yet so I backed off.
He's gone to bed now. Boo.

Well now that he has started playing it, just saviour any time you actually have access to the xbox

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.

Shannow posted:

I called him out on it and refused his blood money and things got a bit frosty but then we played gwent together and he's all 'honour and glory' whenever I stop by.

It also interacts with the Blood Ties quest, if you helped him out with Missing Patrol he is friendlier when you ask about the woman's son, but if you refused his money he calls you a jackass.

cmykJester
Feb 16, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Helith posted:

I know and I won't!
I don't want him to miss anything because I enjoyed it so much.

That's the thing though, missing things is fine. I probably wouldn't have enjoyed dark souls if I had my brother over my shoulder telling me "hey you should totally go here to do that because it's neat" instead of me just feeling around.

I mean telling him about the save simulate thing is probably fine but him missing out on Letho probably isn't a big deal because he doesn't know who Letho is.

Oh god I just realized I'm backseat gaming your backseat gaming.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

cmykjester posted:

That's the thing though, missing things is fine. I probably wouldn't have enjoyed dark souls if I had my brother over my shoulder telling me "hey you should totally go here to do that because it's neat" instead of me just feeling around.

I mean telling him about the save simulate thing is probably fine but him missing out on Letho probably isn't a big deal because he doesn't know who Letho is.

Oh god I just realized I'm backseat gaming your backseat gaming.

It's a vicious circle :iamafag:

It's cool, we like to chat about games we're playing, but I'll be on my PC playing something else while he's actually playing this so he'll find his own way and do his own thing.
I need to resist the urge to sperg out and give him detailed character background info and why that info should inform his choices and I will resist that urge because I'm genuinely curious how someone who doesn't know the series responds to it.

lilbeefer
Oct 4, 2004

CDPR please consider Witcher 4: Yontek the adventures of a lovable idiot

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
These numbers do not add up.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Dang, you can't wear both the rear end ears and the professor's spectacles at the same time. How do I choose? :ohdear:

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I’m using the extra skill slots mod when I get to NG+ because I’m only level 34 and I haven’t felt able to equip anything new for about six levels now.

also, I got to Through Time and Space and I’m a little confused about the world that’s been destroyed by the White Frost. Av’Allach says “this is Tedd Deireadh, The Final Age” so I’m guessing it’s not just one of the many worlds it’s taken. Is it Witcherland in the future? He also said something about this coming to all worlds eventually which kind of suggested it wasn’t. When he says this is where Geralt fought the projection of the King of the Wild Hunt – I don’t remember that area looking like that but whatever it was like ten years ago on the Neverwinter Nights engine – and Ciri did as well, why is that lighthouse basement so important to Eredin that he loves sending his astral projection to hang out and punk people there? Why do the Wild Hunt seem to have this sort of weird bond and ability to harness the White Frost when they’re just trying to escape it? These are usually the kind of My Worldbuilding questions I don’t give a poo poo about but I guess too many of them came to mind at once and now I feel a bit lost. Maybe some of them will be answered in the ending but as far as I can tell I’m just off to call up Eredin’s boat on Uber and stab him when he arrives.

This is just my nerd speculation but as I see it it's the Conjunction of the Spheres. Basically the worlds didn't just meet; they merged together. In the books Geralt is talking to a scholar-priestess who is growing plants that just won't survive under sunlight anymore. She basically explains that the sun has flat out changed since the Conjunction. It's also one reason the elves failed - their main food sources flat out went extinct in the new world.

My take is that the White Frost does the same. It doesn't just come barrelling out of outer space - it literally seeps into your world, and by the time it's done things have merged together and your world is Tedd Deireadh. That's why Avalach says something along the lines of 'this place is every world, sooner or later'.

As for the Hunt's connection to the Frost, I think that's one of the cooler things about them and I wish they'd gotten more time to develop it. They're scared shitless of it to the point where it rules them. The Hunt are so terrified of death that they wear skull masks (they actually customise their armour to the species they're fighting) and spin legends about themselves to inflict the same fear on other worlds. They're so terrified of the Frost that they bring it in their wake as their deadliest weapon and hope that as long as they keep conquering their turn will never come.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

twistedmentat posted:

Is that the one that increases your toxicity threshold? I probably should have taken it so I could use a decotion and a regular potion without looking like a Sith Lord.

You two jump into that pit over there.

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...
I made it to Kaer Morhen, did things I assumed I would do, then drank the night away with Eskel and Lambert. I did not expect that. I was belly laughing during the investigation part. This game has so many wonderful little touches.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

If I'd a bent over I'd a puked! :)

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I finished it and I don't know what to do now :(

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
Is there an obvious point of no return? I'm way overleveled for the main story, I'm 24 or 25 and the story missions are like 17ish and grey now. Kind of want to progress the story to get it around my level range again but I still have tons of quests and contracts and poo poo to do. I just finished what I believe is the last part of Skellige for Act 1, I have to go back to Crow's Perch now.

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...

Strategic Tea posted:

If I'd a bent over I'd a puked! :)

That's the one. I couldn't breathe for a moment.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Mustang posted:

Is there an obvious point of no return? I'm way overleveled for the main story, I'm 24 or 25 and the story missions are like 17ish and grey now. Kind of want to progress the story to get it around my level range again but I still have tons of quests and contracts and poo poo to do. I just finished what I believe is the last part of Skellige for Act 1, I have to go back to Crow's Perch now.
Yeah, you have a few missions to go and then there's a very obvious point of no return in that it pops up "hello this is a point of no return you're going to get fast-tracked through story missions for the next 4-5 hours". You'll level a lot over the course of them, I was at about the same point, after which you'll be free to dip in and out of the story again up until the (again very obvious) final battle point of no return.

OatBoy
Nov 18, 2004

What can I say, it's my nature

twistedmentat posted:

Though I never figured out if the Wild Hunt were men or monsters. I would assume that they were steel swords targets because regular elves were. But switching swords didn't really seem to make a difference.

Use the silver sword, and their weakness is Elementa oil, btw.

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

EA GAMES' MASTERPIECE 'MADDEN 2018 G.O.A.T. EDITION' IS A GLORIOUS TRIUMPH OF ART AND TECHNOLOGY. IT BRINGS GAMEDAY RIGHT TO THE PLAYER AND WHOEVER SAYS OTHERWISE CAN, YOU GUESSED IT...
SUCK THE SHIT STRAIGHT OUT OF MY OWN ASSHOLE.

BUY IT.
alternate Yrden is really useful

the upgrades for it appear broken though. They don't seem to add as much damage as the numbers claim, even if they're supposed to be additive with other +sign% modifiers?

but whatever, it's good

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I'm replaying on Death March to get the last trophy for Platinum. It's not that bad since I already spent 150 hours learning the combat system.

Edit: And agreeing with whoever said Acquired Tolerance is the most broken skill in the game. Certain decoctions are just broken and make fights trivial. Gaining vitality for any hit dealt to an enemy makes you immortal, basically.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
Ekimara and Ekhinda decoctions together basically make you immortal. But I know a bunch of you are quen using cowards who probably don't need it. :v:

Mustang posted:

It will literally warn you with a popup screen saying HEY YOU'RE ENTERING AREA OF NO RETURN and even will stop gameplay eventually saying hey save now or leave.

There's very very very few things you can fail by accident.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

Hello.

Steam says I have spent 81 hours on this game. Does it ever end? I basically went through two giant fights of super evil wild hunt dudes and now it dumped me back in Novigrad demanding I move more furniture and unclog magical toilets or whatever.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

This game never ends.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

mrmcd posted:

Hello.

Steam says I have spent 81 hours on this game. Does it ever end? I basically went through two giant fights of super evil wild hunt dudes and now it dumped me back in Novigrad demanding I move more furniture and unclog magical toilets or whatever.
Sounds like you're near the end. Did you just fight Imlerereth at Bald Mountain? I think I did the rest of the main quest in a few hours.

lilbeefer
Oct 4, 2004

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

http://www.google.com.au/search?sit...6.3.Ef4ipr22ako

We're here if you want to talk buddy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

You haven't truly finished Witcher 3 until you've looted all the ?s including all the smuggler's caches.

:colbert::colbert::colbert::colbert::colbert::colbert::colbert: