Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Longpig Bard
Dec 29, 2004

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

Dear ford: gently caress youuuuuuu for not bringing that ranger here.

I spent most my life down the street from the ranger plant in the us. It originally made model ts. They demolished it over the last few years to make way for condos.

Now we don't have a single decent small pickup. The Tacoma is great if you wanna pay for a fullsize but be smaller and get worse mileage. :-(

Trucks are the size of condos now, they should have left the factory standing and rented out the trucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
I loved the ranger but I'm split on the new one.
It just seems like an Explorer Sport Trac.

I miss my tiny, gutless, optionless tank.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I wonder if this guy can even drive normally anymore.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vy8w915Z1Wc

What great control.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
Was that even English at the 15 seconds mark? Was it an auctioneer? :stonk:

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Irish. Irish co-driver.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
Fire Burnout from down under.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-OXetIeGlAU

Nomex
Jul 17, 2002

Flame retarded.

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

Dear ford: gently caress youuuuuuu for not bringing that ranger here.

I spent most my life down the street from the ranger plant in the us. It originally made model ts. They demolished it over the last few years to make way for condos.

Now we don't have a single decent small pickup. The Tacoma is great if you wanna pay for a fullsize but be smaller and get worse mileage. :-(

Ford Rangers are absolute poo poo. They get worse gas mileage than an F150 V8, the rear frames rust off of them, and for a lot of years they were an absolute pain in the rear end to raise or lower.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Nomex posted:

Ford Rangers are absolute poo poo. They get worse gas mileage than an F150 V8, the rear frames rust off of them, and for a lot of years they were an absolute pain in the rear end to raise or lower.

That ranger is a completely different line than the one north america got though

apples to oranges

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I wonder if this guy can even drive normally anymore.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vy8w915Z1Wc

What great control.

:stare:

Watching those old rally video's makes me want to go to a rally school, and then buy a group B car and just roll around to events with it every weekend. Of course I need to become a multi-millionaire first.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
IM SO BAD AT ACTUALLY TALKING ABOUT F1 IN ANY MEANINGFUL WAY SOME DUDE WITH TOO MUCH FREE MONEY WILL KEEP CHANGING IT UNTIL I SHUT THE FUCK UP OR ACTUALLY POST SOMETHING THAT ISNT SPEWING HATE/SLURS/TELLING PEOPLE TO KILL THEMSELVES
I've talked to a couple of folks that made the step up from TSD Rallying and their only advice was to get in debt.

You honestly have to buy somebody's halfassed attempt at a first rally car build with the full expectation that you're going to roll it before the year is out and then have enough cash to buy a second one.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005

Nomex posted:

That's my whole point, they made them forever with the same super basic formula, then came up with a new one that rocks for the global market at the same moment they decided to kill the model forever in the US.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Roadkill Garage is exclusive to Motor Trend on Demand, but they've just put the pilot episode on Youtube, to give people a taste:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55TY4fuJCTA

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Enourmo posted:

That ranger is a completely different line than the one north america got though

apples to oranges

the loving pile of poo poo one I've worked on for my family (dad DDs it) has convinced me to never buy a ranger. Why:
3.0L V6 in a freakin 2001 model year vehicle that gets worse fuel economy, less power, less torque, worse throttle response, and less reliability than a 4.0L jeep motor from a full decade earlier
full-framed vehicle, yet has worse rot problems than, again, a jeep truck from a decade earlier (with the exception of the cab floor. For some reason, that isn't rusting on the ford.)
IFS that inexplicably rides like a horrible lumbercart, even compared to, again, a solid front axle jeep truck from a decade earlier
incredibly poor visibility
... and a higher price

I guess it probably scores higher on crash safety...? they're both mini pickups, you're going to die in a serious accident.

e: here's a video of one with accident damage having the back half of its frame cut off and replaced in under 2 hours by 3 shop workers. I'm somewhat worried about them oxy torching everything apart since if you gently caress up doing that, you can put a hell of a stress riser in the frame... I like to see rivet heads ground off instead. But at least the frame is riveted together in the middle so they can bolt/rivet it back together after instead of you worrying about whether the guy behind the welding gun knew what he was doing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cudfDsz7CFI

kastein fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Mar 4, 2016

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
While I hear you on the cologne v6, I'm pretty sure the courier/ranger is still slightly different over there.
Did you mean 3L, or was it a 4L your dad had?
In Au/Asia it's always been based on the mazda b series trucks. I know you guys had the courier in the 70s, and maybe 80s, but I think Ford USA made their own ranger for domestic manufacture from whole cloth; I think they were different or a little larger there in the US.
While AU kept with the courier name until 2005, still based on the mazda (later on ford au changed the name to ranger to line up with ford usa, but it's still a b series mazda, ie a courier, and ranger by name only.)
The b2600 was a licenced mitsubishi design, so not too great an engine either, but where they have really shined was turbo diesels anyway.
Anyway, not sure if what you got was what we got, due to chicken tax, but previous rangers have been based on mazda b trucks, and for the last 7 years more aussie design has gone into it (rather than slapping a ranger badge and front grille on a mazda b series truck), with really good turbo diesels.
So unless you tried an aussie designed, asian built, turbo diesel ranger, it's a world of difference.

E: Doesn't help you much as you can't buy them anyway. I'm just trying to point out that what you consider a ranger, is not what the rest of the world outside of the USA considers a ranger.

Late edit: gently caress. was only reading this thread with the hope of a new roadkill. I knew the free public episode not released until march, but looking at the roadkill garage vid ep posted earlier, freiburger said not until the end of march. That loving sucks.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Mar 5, 2016

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Fo3 posted:

While I hear you on the cologne v6, I'm pretty sure the courier/ranger is still slightly different over there.
Did you mean 3L, or was it a 4L your dad had?
In Au/Asia it's always been based on the mazda b series trucks. I know you guys had the courier in the 70s, and maybe 80s, but I think Ford USA made their own ranger for domestic manufacture from whole cloth; I think they were different or a little larger there in the US.
While AU kept with the courier name until 2005, still based on the mazda (later on ford au changed the name to ranger to line up with ford usa, but it's still a b series mazda, ie a courier, and ranger by name only.)
The b2600 was a licenced mitsubishi design, so not too great an engine either, but where they have really shined was turbo diesels anyway.
Anyway, not sure if what you got was what we got, due to chicken tax, but previous rangers have been based on mazda b trucks, and for the last 7 years more aussie design has gone into it (rather than slapping a ranger badge and front grille on a mazda b series truck), with really good turbo diesels.
So unless you tried an aussie designed, asian built, turbo diesel ranger, it's a world of difference.

E: Doesn't help you much as you can't buy them anyway. I'm just trying to point out that what you consider a ranger, is not what the rest of the world outside of the USA considers a ranger.

The Courier we got in the US was a Mazda up to 1983 when Ford introduced and started building the Ranger. So yeah the Ranger/Courier everywhere else is largely a different truck.

My 1979 Courier is only Ford in a couple badges and the 2.3L Ford built engine. Everything else everywhere on the truck has Mazda labels with "Built for the Ford Motor Company"

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Even through the late 1990s, there was a Mazda b2000 series truck that was just a badge engineered ranger.

Was that different than the global b2000 series?

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
I'm no expert, but I think your mazda b series was even different too. Pretty sure it was wider, and of course different engines.
Down here the popular choices were were 2.6L petrol in the courier (I only remember seeing b2600 mazdas too, don't recall ever seeing a b2200, the 2L was normally fitted to vans but I guess in the 70s there were some trucks with the smaller 2L or 2.2L engines though). Otherwise the 2.5L turbo diesel was sold. Anyone remember the econovan? The e1800 or e2000 mazda van rebadged into a ford? Con the fruiter ads anyone?
E: In 2005 when they replaced the old mits licenced 2.6L 4cyl petrol with a cologne 4L v6, and later on replaced the 2.5l turbo diesel with 3L, and now there's the 3.2L i5 used in the new ranger.
So ironically we had larger engines in our smaller trucks :v:

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Mar 5, 2016

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

US ranger was built in the US, and the US B-truck was based on that.

Mazda built a different b-truck in Japan, and the global ranger is based on that.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Colin Furze hurt himself (way back in 2013). Wear safety gear:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FYZFAuhFV4

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Mar 6, 2016

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Colin Furze hurt himself (way back in 2013). Wear safety gear:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FYZFAuhFV4

Jesus fucknuts. I burnt my hand pretty good last July 4 when I found out the hard way that a handful of sparklers will flare up if they all go up simultaneously, but that only got the back of my thumb & part of my index finger blistered like that & that was no joy.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
You've never made a sparkler bomb?

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fsU1L8fhQ7k

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Hahaha.. that was great.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

The Locator posted:

Hahaha.. that was great.

That makes me happier than it should.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005

So good.

wildemere
Nov 19, 2013
The Mazda/Ford Utes or Pickups are surely confusing in the world market. In Australia we also have the six cylinder 4.0l Falcons & 3.6l Holdens to throw into the mix as well. ( a much better option ) Both available as V8's as well or the turbo straight 6 in the Falcon ( over 500hp with a tune on E85 ) HSV will make you a supercharged 6.2 V8 for around $80k if you want to go nuts.

anyway...

Over here the in the 90's Mazda B series or Ford Couriers (same car) here in Aust had 12 valve heads. The 2.6 G6, A good motor. Similar but different to the Mitsubishi's of the time that were either 8 valve 2.6 Astron or 16v 2.4 Sirius ).

Before 1988 Mazda used the licenced Mitsubishi Astron engines in the Ford Couriers or Mazda B series utes.

Also their 2.5l diesels were known to be the shittiest Jap diesels available at the time, compared to Nissan, Toyota or even the Mitsubishi (second shittiest)

This comes from 30+ years of driving these lovely Jap utes and vans, and also being related to a forklift mechanic who serviced all these motors in their natural industrial environment.

I now have a much better Job and cruise around in a 4.0l Falcon Wagon.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Not really AI, except that it sort of looks like a big engine of some kind, but this is pretty cool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IvUU8joBb1Q

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

OK, that's pretty amazing. :aaaaa:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

That's brilliant.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

I've watched that through like 6 times in the last week, it's p cool

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Whoever built that is a drat genius. That's 50 kinds of awesome.

edit: they put up a couple of videos showing details on how it works. part 1 and part 2

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 10:12 on Mar 9, 2016

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
One of their "how its made" videos has random shots of them sinking disc golf putts from across the yard. I'm pretty into disc golfing (not a bro though) so that makes those dudes even cooler.

I've never met anybody from Norway or Sweden that wasn't cool so I guess that figures.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

This dude is a musical genius gearhead

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uog48viZUbM

I know STR posted the link, but I thought I'd go ahead an embed it because it's awesome.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

jamal posted:

You've never made a sparkler bomb?

Not until last July 4th.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JerVHGoj-d0

Video contains cute kid and a failure to chooch

SpaceRangerJoe
Dec 24, 2003

The little hand says it's time to rock and roll.

CarForumPoster posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JerVHGoj-d0

Video contains cute kid and a failure to chooch

That guy is pretty great.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
Yeah, AVE videos have been posted around for a while (and obvious Red Green comparisons made). Good videos though.
Shame he doesn't live in australia. 1. because floor tiles laid here in the last 15 yrs are secured only by a dab of cement in each corner and one in the middle. I was jealous of that level screeded cement. Also of the flat plywood base.
Last place I lived at had a cheap recent reno with 5 dabs on the uneven floorboards. Yes, the tiles cracked a lot.
2. because if he was in aus, he would have owned the cheap first gen ozito rotary/hammer. Cost $70 bucks and loving awesome. I used in professionally in HVAC, so did many others, as well as electricians.
Cant even find a image on google, all polluted with 2nd and 3rd gen. 1st gen had a huge plastic motor housing, second gen a smaller metal housing, 3rd gen a larger but square plastic housing. They went from 900-1100w, I can't remember what the best one was as far as watts.
1st gen so good, one or more people made a career of making it worse and worse I guess, just to fit into it's price range. 1st gen is super awesome though.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Mar 11, 2016

Nomex
Jul 17, 2002

Flame retarded.
I thought the mortar was a little light. If you can peel the tile off without shattering it into a million pieces, you need more mortar.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

An important question, answered. Also burnouts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9CYEFeN8lwE&hd=1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

PainterofCrap posted:

Not until last July 4th.

Well you did it wrong, man.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4mVODghTwXQ

Not mine, but that's about what mine have been like. I made one where I taped it poorly and it turned into a big flamethrower though.