Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

Wait, you can literally buy morphine over the counter for it's constipatory qualities?

How does that work?
Oral morphine tends to cause horrible constipation unless you already have the opposite. If you drink enough to get any narcotic effect (especially when it's sold mixed with clay) you're going to have a bad time on the toilet for the next two days, literally making GBS threads bricks.

It's like how dihydrocodeine, ordinarily a class B drug, can be sold as a pharmacy medicine as long as it's mixed with enough paracetamol to box your liver if you try and get high off it without extracting it. Which ends up having some pretty dire consequences from a harm reduction point of view.

That and the British medical establishment has always had something of a soft spot for morphine for historical reasons. Heroin too as the UK is one of the few countries that will prescribe diamorphine.

e:

Dead Goon posted:

When I was suffering from Trigeminal Neuralgia the incredible amounts of various codeine based pain pills I used to take stopped me up good and proper.
My sympathies. I have had a facial neuralgia exactly once and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

e2:
1938 -

OwlFancier posted:

"Guys Hitler isn't Hitlering over here right now so let's be nice to him" was literally Neville Chamberlain's foreign policy.

Guavanaut fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Mar 8, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I will give GC credit where it's due: he did ask a fellow German poster to not vote for AfD because he felt they were racist. Sadly he said he should vote for the liberal party who have the same anti-refugee policy but for fiscal rather than racial reasons.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Guavanaut posted:

Oral morphine tends to cause horrible constipation unless you already have the opposite. If you drink enough to get any narcotic effect (especially when it's sold mixed with clay) you're going to have a bad time on the toilet for the next two days, literally making GBS threads bricks.

It's like how dihydrocodeine, ordinarily a class B drug, can be sold as a pharmacy medicine as long as it's mixed with enough paracetamol to box your liver if you try and get high off it without extracting it. Which ends up having some pretty dire consequences from a harm reduction point of view.

That and the British medical establishment has always had something of a soft spot for morphine for historical reasons. Heroin too as the UK is one of the few countries that will prescribe diamorphine.

Huh, guess that makes sense.

Can't wait to see the reaction when someone dies from injecting immodium.

E: also slightly worrying because I have a feeling I could probably fraction those parts out with my failed A level chemistry.

StoneOfShame posted:

All opioids and opiates cause constipation in my experience.

I know opiods cause constipation I just got confused as to how you could just sell them for that side effect without people buying them to get hosed up on.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Mar 8, 2016

StoneOfShame
Jul 28, 2013

This is the best kitchen ever.
All opioids and opiates cause constipation in my experience.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Guavanaut posted:

you'd have to drink an absolutely massive amount of liquid morphine to get any narcotic effect that isn't just feeling itchy from it

otoh you can eat a load of immodium with a lot of black pepper and get hosed up and die on that like that one goons husband

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
is that the one who baked to death in his car or the one who died in a cinema while watching a children's movie or something

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

E: also slightly worrying because I have a feeling I could probably fraction those parts out with my failed A level chemistry.
I bet you could make meth from sudafed with your failed A level chemistry too. It's more useful having a costive that's milder than Imodium (or a decongestant that actually works) than the harms of someone obtaining a relatively trivial amount of a controlled drug.

If you go to the same chemists each day claiming your 20 children all have blocked noses and diarrhea then they will quickly refuse to serve you.

StoneOfShame
Jul 28, 2013

Oberleutnant posted:

is that the one who baked to death in his car or the one who died in a cinema while watching a children's movie or something

Probably the latter, iirc the car one was the guy selling DA JOOSE and his wife showed up to tell the forum he was dead and goons freaked out wondering if they would get their joose still, then she tried to get get goons to help her commit insurance fraud.

Guavanaut posted:

I bet you could make meth from sudafed with your failed A level chemistry too. It's more useful having a costive that's milder than Imodium (or a decongestant that actually works) than the harms of someone obtaining a relatively trivial amount of a controlled drug.

If you go to the same chemists each day claiming your 20 children all have blocked noses and diarrhea then they will quickly refuse to serve you.

Making meth is in principle a piece of piss but its also really easy to blow yourself up if you dont know exactly what you're doing. I know a guy who did I never got any so dont know if it was decent, he was a moron so i suspect not.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

StoneOfShame posted:

Making meth is in principle a piece of piss but its also really easy to blow yourself up if you dont know exactly what you're doing. I know a guy who did I never got any so dont know if it was decent, he was a moron so i suspect not.

Also hard to do discreetly unless, for example, you can put your lab into an RV and drive it into the middle of a giant desert (of which we're a bit short over here).

(did your friend have a slightly nebbishy-looking middle aged friend with a cool hat by any chance?)

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I can't imagine it's any harder to do surreptitiously than making normal speed, and there used to be a ton of speed labs in Manchester back in the 70s.

Maybe that's because the police genuinely didn't give a gently caress or were bent by crime gangs though.

StoneOfShame
Jul 28, 2013

feedmegin posted:

Also hard to do discreetly unless, for example, you can put your lab into an RV and drive it into the middle of a giant desert (of which we're a bit short over here).

(did your friend have a slightly nebbishy-looking middle aged friend with a cool hat by any chance?)

No, he looks like and is a junkie punk with one long black dread and the rest of his hair short, a look I have never understood but know lots of people with.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
UKMT TCC Edition: Constipation Nation

Guavanaut posted:

I think I've found the solution to our housing problem :drugnerd:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Well, looks like it isn't just historical, some of the old boys are trying to come out of retirement. How topical.

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/trafford-pensioner-dock-accused-trying-11005625

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

Renaissance Robot posted:

UKMT TCC Edition: Constipation Nation

I think I've found the solution to our housing problem :drugnerd:

You still need permits to built your houses, though it might be easier to convince the Tories that the poor should be allowed to construct and live in literal poo poo houses.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Does TCC have a thread with a running death tally? I feel it might be useful and instructive.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH

Guavanaut posted:

Well, looks like it isn't just historical, some of the old boys are trying to come out of retirement. How topical.

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/trafford-pensioner-dock-accused-trying-11005625

I wonder what effect Breaking Bad has had on the numbers of amateur drug labs.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

GaussianCopula posted:

You still need permits to built your houses, though it might be easier to convince the Tories that the poor should be allowed to construct and live in literal poo poo houses.

They do, it's called 'the streets' - my town has a homeless person sleeping on the streets every 10-20 metres in the centre.

Before 2010 I saw one in a blue moon, and never for long since our services for the homeless was resourced enough to help them.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Lord of the Llamas posted:

Don't you remember that Muslim lad arrested on terrorism charges for buying ricin because of it? http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-33708611

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Lord of the Llamas posted:

I think the main thing that it has had an effect on is the number of people aware of methamphetamine and wanting to try it, rather than just seeing it as a gay scene thing or lumping it in with base speed. Which would drive the demand for more drug labs I guess.

Those guys seem more like old pros from the glory days of Mancunian speed, the window between pharmacies holding less stock and in bigger safes and everyone switching to ecstasy in the second summer of love. It's telling that they went for standard amphetamine (a class B) and not this new fancy American meth (moved up to a class A in 2005 or something).

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Richard Herring is still going strong.

https://twitter.com/Herring1967/status/707218332580225024

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

He does know you don't have to argue until you collapse yes?

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY
Mr Carney rejected Mr Rees-Mogg's statements as "wholly unfounded" and said: "With respect, what concerns me is your selective memory."

lmao

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

OwlFancier posted:

From what I've seen very few of the people he corrects engage with him and he responds to even fewer. There are just a lot of them.

(it's Nov 19th)

Extreme0
Feb 28, 2013

I dance to the sweet tune of your failure so I'm never gonna stop fucking with you.

Continue to get confused and frustrated with me as I dance to your anger.

As I expect nothing more from ya you stupid runt!

So is there any evidence that polling and the figures included actually influence the way people vote significantly?

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

OwlFancier posted:

Fascinating, I believe we may have discovered an entirely new type of liberalism. Ober, could you please check your list?

Saith
Oct 10, 2010

Asahina...
Regular Penguins look just the same!
Voting Plaidd in May, disappointed in my fellow countrymen for even considering UKIP over them.

I mean, vote Tory or whatever sure but not the guys who want to get rid of the assembly you're loving voting for.

Like, if you're gonna vote for a nationalist party, at least vote for the one that actually represents your nation, christ.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Anyone got those gifs of george smacked off his tits handy?

Sundayturks
May 31, 2011

You were expecting...Sandy Claws?

Fun Shoe

OwlFancier posted:

Anyone got those gifs of george smacked off his tits handy?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
May or may not embed
http://i.imgur.com/afWgMtD.webm

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

Saith posted:

Voting Plaidd in May, disappointed in my fellow countrymen for even considering UKIP over them.

I mean, vote Tory or whatever sure but not the guys who want to get rid of the assembly you're loving voting for.

Like, if you're gonna vote for a nationalist party, at least vote for the one that actually represents your nation, christ.
Amusing typo given the voting intention.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Much obliged, just want to instil mortal terror in my girlfriend.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Imagine a naked George Osborne coming towards ye, his wee nubbin flappin in the breeze, unable to get hard cos of the massive pile of coke he's just inhaled, demanding to be spanked because he's been a naughty boy.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Still less terrifying than him giggling behind a bunch of children frankly.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

He really ought to have just asked someone to make him a bot.

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012

Oberleutnant posted:

You can I think it's in minuscule quantities, but chemistry-inclined junkies separate it out to get high because they're industrious and have a can-do attitude.

As described in this informative song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkp2PeFIeos

Interesting map (with some horrendous comments) from YouGov about EU referendum voting intentions, here: https://yougov.co.uk/news/2016/02/28/eurosceptic-map-britain/
Could this illustrate the previously overlooked Coohoolin Effect?

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH

EmptyVessel posted:

As described in this informative song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkp2PeFIeos

Interesting map (with some horrendous comments) from YouGov about EU referendum voting intentions, here: https://yougov.co.uk/news/2016/02/28/eurosceptic-map-britain/
Could this illustrate the previously overlooked Coohoolin Effect?

DON'T SCROLL DOWN DON'T SCROLL DO.. AARGH :suicide:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

thespaceinvader posted:

He really ought to have just asked someone to make him a bot.

It's already been made

https://twitter.com/19th_Nov

He's trying to John Henry this poo poo.

dispatch_async
Nov 28, 2014

Imagine having the time to have played through 20 generations of one family in The Sims 2. Imagine making the original two members of that family Neil Buchanan and Cat Deeley. Imagine complaining to Maxis there was no technological progression. You've successfully imagined my life
In contrast to the Guardian the Independent is painting Corbyn as the messiah.

Corbyn has been drawing 1,000-strong crowds in ex-mining communities - but they're poor, so it doesn't matter

quote:

The average audience size for the Cynon Valley Labour Party’s annual Keir Hardie Memorial Lecture is 50-60 people. One year David Miliband managed to fill the hall at the local bowls club.

On Saturday night, a far larger venue had to be found. 1,000 people wanted a ticket to come and see Jeremy Corbyn. The organisers booked the leisure centre in Aberdare, a cavernous sports hall with bright turquoise walls.

Saturday night was, according to the organisers, the biggest political rally in the Welsh Valleys for 20 years. It was a huge event, not just for Aberdare. The story, ignored by much of the media, is that Jeremy Corbyn has become a cross between a rock star and a saint.

Just north of Aberdare there was, until recently, the Tower Colliery – the oldest deep coal mine in the UK. This is an area that has faced great hardship since Margaret Thatcher’s Government and which remains one of the most socially deprived areas of Wales. But while the Cynon Valley is a Labour stronghold, this was not a gathering of die-hard Labour supporters.

In the scrum at the end of the rally, families queued up to have their photo taken with Corbyn and hundreds of people reached out to shake his hand or just touch his sleeve. Another man told me that he was gratified to have watched a woman he knew was a Ukip voter clap continually throughout Mr Corbyn’s talk. One woman grabbed Corbyn’s arm and repeatedly called him ‘a beacon’.

[…]

It seems that Corbyn has reached a celebrity sainthood status that very few politicians will ever know – but it’s mainly confined to underprivileged areas, so it’s not supposed to matter. Aside perhaps from the Prime Minister, however, is there another UK politician whose presence can turn an event of 50 people into one of 1,000 people? Who can fill leisure centres and town halls, not just in the Valleys, but in Liverpool, Glasgow, Middlesbrough and London?

At the end of his speech in Aberdare, Corbyn’s team faced the near-impossible task of trying to extricate him from the hall. Calling him ‘JC’, they tried to gently steer him away from the crowd of well-wishers blocking the main door.

People were singing and Corbyn stopped to shake the hands of two elderly people selling pamphlets about Keir Hardy. Then his team intervened before any more selfies could be taken and took him out of back door and on to another event.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Gonzo McFee posted:

Imagine a naked George Osborne coming towards ye, his wee nubbin flappin in the breeze, unable to get hard cos of the massive pile of coke he's just inhaled, demanding to be spanked because he's been a naughty boy.

Pay me £500 an hour and I might consider it.

(I'd beat Osborne for less, but you're paying me to stop when he wants me to.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

ronya posted:

if you're asking about their abstract economic role, their role is to actually implement maturity transformation in practice: that is, devising strategies that coordinate the varying goals of people who save money with them and the people who borrow money from them

this is where, so to speak, capitalism happens - at least for the capital that is commoditized into a tradable form

eh, fund managers aren't managing deposits so talking about maturity transformation is kinda bizarre.

• Locked thread