Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YIwH-OZ0I8o

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TbwroS0YP54

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

if you don't instantly think last action hero when you think of charles dance just lmao

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

boom boom boom posted:

Charles Dance was in Underworld Awakening, Dracula Untold and Your Higness.

I'll watch Charles Dance in nearly anything.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Groovelord Neato posted:

if you don't instantly think last action hero when you think of charles dance just lmao

I think of

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WqajRj1yQuU

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
I like how a simple rumor of a minor male actor starring in the movie has completely overshadowed the main cast.

Girl power!!!

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Fresh news tends to garner more discussion than old news, that's true. That's why it's called "news".

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Groovelord Neato posted:

"I said, I have just murdered a man, and I want to confess!"

"Shut up down there!"

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

steinrokkan posted:

I like how a simple rumor of a minor male actor starring in the movie has completely overshadowed the main cast.

Girl power!!!
I feel like you hate women for some reason?

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

CelticPredator posted:

"I said, I have just murdered a man, and I want to confess!"

"Shut up down there!"

"Take his shoes..?"

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

steinrokkan posted:

Girl power!!!

I've seen very little of the stuff the main cast has been in, but I've seen a lot of Chatles Dance. I watch a lot of movies purely because a random character actor is in it. This has not always been a wise investment of my time.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Cage posted:

I feel like you hate women for some reason?

Women are not Charles Dance, therefore they are a waste of time and space.

Sasquatch!
Nov 18, 2000

quote:

The cameos of the old cast:
Harold Ramis = ROLLING IN HIS GRAVE (he's not in the movie obviously but I'm positive he would see this movie as a disgrace)
Okay, that one was pretty funny.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Sasquatch! posted:

Yeah they should have had that dork writing the movie!

xezton
Jan 31, 2005

Sasquatch! posted:

Yes I'm sure the man who wrote, directed, and starred in such comedic masterpieces as Year One was rolling in his grave at the thought of a comedy movie that people think is bad.

Kilmers Elbow
Jun 15, 2012

This man is 70.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

Kilmers Elbow posted:

This man is 70.

Black don't crack, man. :shrug:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Wasn't Charles Dance in this movie? IMDB doesn't list his character, so they may be trying to hide his characters identity.

My money's on him being a not-actually-dead Ivo Shandor, or a descendant of Ivo, and like my previous assertion they're cribbing a lot of the plot from the GB video-game.

Pft, if they ever put Shandor into a movie, just cast Paul Reubens like they originally planned. Pee Wee hasn't aged in 30 years so he's still good for it.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Jamesman posted:

Pft, if they ever put Shandor into a movie, just cast Paul Reubens like they originally planned. Pee Wee hasn't aged in 30 years so he's still good for it.

Reubens was meant to be Gozer, not Shandor. :eng101:

But I agree anyway.

xezton
Jan 31, 2005

So I noticed a couple of things in the trailer.

First of all, I didn't realize that the thing floating toward Patty in the subway tunnel is actually a pair of feet that appear to be strapped into an electric chair:

Then I noticed something super cool that I don't think anyone has pointed out yet! In the scene where Holtzman is showing them that big laser contraption, notice one of the monitors in the background:

Hmm... ENHANCE!!! :eng101:

Correct me if I'm wrong but that appears to say:

quote:

RECENT INVESTIGATIONS
D. BARRETT
V. CLORTHO

And yes, before you ask, I've spent entirely too much time watching/giffing that preview. I am excited for this movie.

Edit:
Oh one more thing! In that same scene it looks like you can see the cover for that book rumors have been mentioning over and over.

It's blurry as hell so this is just speculation obviously, but that looks like Gilbert and Yates, and aren't they the ones rumored to have had some drama over a book? This may lend some credence to that.

Edit2:
Oh man I keep finding more stuff! So what's behind the door Kevin kicks open?

Looks like something big and important. Perhaps some sort of unit that contains/attracts ghosts?

You may also notice in that scene that he has apparently taken down a couple of what appears to be police officers or security guards to get to that door...

Edit3:
Oh my god how many edits will there be?
Turns out, for one frame you can actually see a face in the ghost that pops out of the sink and possesses Yates.

xezton fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Mar 8, 2016

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Reubens was meant to be Gozer, not Shandor. :eng101:

In the image of Shandor.

xezton
Jan 31, 2005

xezton posted:

I wonder if Patty is a "reject" from a family of wealthy funeral home owners (evidenced by the condition of the hearse) who always thought she would amount to nothing, and when she approached them to borrow the hearse they just gave it to her, spat on her shoes, and said "I wipe my rear end with multiple hearses every time I take a poo poo. Just take it, you street swine. You'll never live up to the Tolan name." And her story is trying to prove to them that she can succeed in the death business... even if the aspect she succeeds at is busting their ghosts? :downs:

I agree the trailer depicted her in a weird way. What I'm trying to say is perhaps there's more depth to her than what the trailer alluded to. I'll be disappointed if not.

I'm quoting myself only because mr. reddit guy just updated his post with more details that are making him seem more and more legit (some of the stuff he added goes right along with the new things I spotted in the trailer in my post above!). And guess what? If he's right, I totally called this... :smug:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

xezton posted:

Looks like something big and important. Perhaps some sort of unit that contains/attracts ghosts?

Yep, that would be Rowan's machine for opening a portal/amplifying psychoknetic energy/attracting ghosts to NY. At this point in the movie he's possessing Hemsworth after Jones slapped him out of McCarthy's character.

Kilmers Elbow
Jun 15, 2012

xezton posted:

Oh man I keep finding more stuff! So what's behind the door Kevin kicks open?

Men's rights are being held captive in that device and Hemsworth is about to liberate them.

xezton
Jan 31, 2005

While I appear to be on a mini posting spree (I think I've posted in this thread more than I've posted on SA as a whole at this point), upon seeing the mention of Vinz Clortho I got to thinking about one of my favorite lines from the original film:

Vinz Clortho posted:

Gozer the Traveller, he will come in one of the pre-chosen forms. During the rectification of the Vuldronaii, the Traveller came as a large and moving Torb! Then, during the third reconciliation of the last of the Meketrex Supplicants they chose a new form for him... that of a Giant Sloar! many Shubs and Zulls knew what it was to be roasted in the depths of the Sloar that day I can tell you.

I'm going to completely :goonsay: nerd out :goonsay: here so if you're not in the mood to read the blubbering nonsense of a fan please skip right along!

I think many viewers might have brushed this quote off initially as random ectobabble. And honestly it does sound that way, but when you think about it, assuming that everything he's saying is true in the GB universe, the implications of this one quote are kind of mind-blowing, even in a setting where ghosts are real.

The Vuldronaii and the Meketrex Supplicants are never given any description, but that's okay because they are either aliens or beings in a completely different dimension, and therefore we might not even be able to comprehend them. Regardless of where they exist, or what they are, one thing ties them to humans from Earth: Gozer worshipers. Without those, Gozer never would have traveled to and destroyed their worlds.

This brings up the question of a chicken and egg scenario regarding Gozer and its worshipers, as well. Which came first?
Does Gozer only exist because beings from multiple worlds/dimensions believe in it? Or... did it previously visit those worlds thus cementing their faith?
As far as we know the only way Gozer can travel to a world is with some voluntary summoning mechanism from its inhabitants, so it seems the former would be the case. But how did the first worshipers know to worship it in the first place? Well, in the video game (which I think we can all agree at this point is cannon) it is mentioned that Gozer was banished from our dimension by a different deity (Tiamat), so it must not have always been the case that it required an elaborate summoning ritual to allow it to visit.

So that means Gozer used to be just a regular old, run of the mill, house brand deity that influenced beings from multiple worlds/dimensions. That also means that the entire reason Gozer was banished from our world, and thus the reason Gozer became enraged and began travelling to other worlds and destroying them in the first place, was because some of our ancestors lost a war in its name. Humans from Earth are the reason multiple entire civilizations were utterly decimated by Gozer. Let that sink in for a minute... On top of that, the only thing we know about those unfortunate beings are the names of their destructors... a large and moving Torb, and a Giant Sloar.

Just like what happened in New York City, the Vuldronaii and Meketrex Supplicants summoned Gozer to their world (for one reason or another), and shortly after it appeared, it told them to choose the form of their destructor. Obviously those worlds didn't have anything remotely analogous to the Ghostbusters, so they were likely scared shitless and thought of the most frightening things that existed in their worlds. Thanks, once again, to the video game, we now have an idea of what a Giant Sloar looks like, and know how incredibly frightening it must have been to have one of those rampaging across your planet, eating everyone you know, and slowly roasting them it its stomach.

But what about the Torb? All we know is that Vinz Clortho felt the need to specify that it was "large" and "moving". This implies that a "normal" Torb is likely not very large, and is stationary. There really is no way to know, but I always pictured the Torb as looking something like Ramiel from the anime Neon Genesis Evangelion. A giant crystalline entity that slowly floats around blowin' poo poo up.

This all comes back around to when the Ghostbusters finally meet Gozer and are posed with the choice of how it will manifest on and destroy Earth. Knowing the history of Gozer, based on that single quote from Vinz Clortho, makes what happens all the more hilarious and absurd. This destroyer of worlds that had already apparently wiped out multiple civilizations while in the form of their most dreaded and destructive fears, finally makes it back to the planet it was banished from, to the beings it probably wanted to destroy the most out of revenge for their ineptitude.......

....was now a delightful sugary treat.

Anyway, none of this is new information or anything. I've just always liked how that one quote from Rick Moranis in the movie can completely change the way we look at Gozer. It gives a little bit of depth to the antagonist, and even provides enough clues about its history to tell us just exactly what kind of poo poo the Ghostbusters are dealing with.

It kinda makes Vigo small potatoes. He is like the buzzing of flies to Gozer.

It doesn't sound like the new Ghostbusters will be dealing with deities, which is kind of sad. But if they manage to give the new antagonist a little depth similar to how they handled Gozer, that would be extra cool.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Aim for the flattop!

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

xezton posted:

While I appear to be on a mini posting spree (I think I've posted in this thread more than I've posted on SA as a whole at this point), upon seeing the mention of Vinz Clortho I got to thinking about one of my favorite lines from the original film:

I'm going to completely :goonsay: nerd out :goonsay: here so if you're not in the mood to read the blubbering nonsense of a fan please skip right along!

I think many viewers might have brushed this quote off initially as random ectobabble. And honestly it does sound that way, but when you think about it, assuming that everything he's saying is true in the GB universe, the implications of this one quote are kind of mind-blowing, even in a setting where ghosts are real.

The Vuldronaii and the Meketrex Supplicants are never given any description, but that's okay because they are either aliens or beings in a completely different dimension, and therefore we might not even be able to comprehend them. Regardless of where they exist, or what they are, one thing ties them to humans from Earth: Gozer worshipers. Without those, Gozer never would have traveled to and destroyed their worlds.

This brings up the question of a chicken and egg scenario regarding Gozer and its worshipers, as well. Which came first?
Does Gozer only exist because beings from multiple worlds/dimensions believe in it? Or... did it previously visit those worlds thus cementing their faith?
As far as we know the only way Gozer can travel to a world is with some voluntary summoning mechanism from its inhabitants, so it seems the former would be the case. But how did the first worshipers know to worship it in the first place? Well, in the video game (which I think we can all agree at this point is cannon) it is mentioned that Gozer was banished from our dimension by a different deity (Tiamat), so it must not have always been the case that it required an elaborate summoning ritual to allow it to visit.

So that means Gozer used to be just a regular old, run of the mill, house brand deity that influenced beings from multiple worlds/dimensions. That also means that the entire reason Gozer was banished from our world, and thus the reason Gozer became enraged and began travelling to other worlds and destroying them in the first place, was because some of our ancestors lost a war in its name. Humans from Earth are the reason multiple entire civilizations were utterly decimated by Gozer. Let that sink in for a minute... On top of that, the only thing we know about those unfortunate beings are the names of their destructors... a large and moving Torb, and a Giant Sloar.

Just like what happened in New York City, the Vuldronaii and Meketrex Supplicants summoned Gozer to their world (for one reason or another), and shortly after it appeared, it told them to choose the form of their destructor. Obviously those worlds didn't have anything remotely analogous to the Ghostbusters, so they were likely scared shitless and thought of the most frightening things that existed in their worlds. Thanks, once again, to the video game, we now have an idea of what a Giant Sloar looks like, and know how incredibly frightening it must have been to have one of those rampaging across your planet, eating everyone you know, and slowly roasting them it its stomach.

But what about the Torb? All we know is that Vinz Clortho felt the need to specify that it was "large" and "moving". This implies that a "normal" Torb is likely not very large, and is stationary. There really is no way to know, but I always pictured the Torb as looking something like Ramiel from the anime Neon Genesis Evangelion. A giant crystalline entity that slowly floats around blowin' poo poo up.

This all comes back around to when the Ghostbusters finally meet Gozer and are posed with the choice of how it will manifest on and destroy Earth. Knowing the history of Gozer, based on that single quote from Vinz Clortho, makes what happens all the more hilarious and absurd. This destroyer of worlds that had already apparently wiped out multiple civilizations while in the form of their most dreaded and destructive fears, finally makes it back to the planet it was banished from, to the beings it probably wanted to destroy the most out of revenge for their ineptitude.......

....was now a delightful sugary treat.

Anyway, none of this is new information or anything. I've just always liked how that one quote from Rick Moranis in the movie can completely change the way we look at Gozer. It gives a little bit of depth to the antagonist, and even provides enough clues about its history to tell us just exactly what kind of poo poo the Ghostbusters are dealing with.

It kinda makes Vigo small potatoes. He is like the buzzing of flies to Gozer.

It doesn't sound like the new Ghostbusters will be dealing with deities, which is kind of sad. But if they manage to give the new antagonist a little depth similar to how they handled Gozer, that would be extra cool.

Farts are funny.

E: Get help for Christ's sake.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Solice Kirsk posted:

Aim for the flattop!

I swear I saw the movie 20+ times as a kid before I ever heard that line. When I heard it for the first time I laughed for like ten minutes straight. I always wondered if it was improvised.

Maybe its time for another "favorite easy to miss joke in Ghostbusters" discussion. To this day I probably wouldn't have noticed Egon helping Venkman with the pricing at the Sedgwick if someone on SA hadn't pointed it out first.

Basebf555 fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Mar 8, 2016

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

EDIT: ^^^ Wait, what am I missing with that line? Isn't Ray referring to the flat 'bench' thing that Gozer's standing on? Is it a hair joke? Have... have I missed that all this time? :psyduck:

Re: Xezton's post: What's also funny is that the GB didn't really defeat Gozer, in that they only really closed the doorway and killed the destructor. So... Gozer's still Gozing around, loving poo poo up for other beings in other dimensions.

Also, the Tumblr-esque implications of Winston's surprised "I thought Gozer was a MAN!" line are just so :allears:

EDIT 2: Also, another good 'watch Egon' moment is right after Ray runs upstairs when they first see the firehall. He's shaking his head slowly to Peter, and then Peter turns to Mrs Rossini from Who's the Boss and says "I think we'll take it."

Oh Egon :allears:

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Mar 8, 2016

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

EDIT: ^^^ Wait, what am I missing with that line? Isn't Ray referring to the flat 'bench' thing that Gozer's standing on?

Gozer is wearing a ridiculous flat-top hairdo, and at the climactic moment when life and death will be decided for all of New York, Ray has to get another jab in. Amazing.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

EDIT: ^^^ Wait, what am I missing with that line? Isn't Ray referring to the flat 'bench' thing that Gozer's standing on? Is it a hair joke? Have... have I missed that all this time? :psyduck:

It's a hairstyle "where the hair on the top of the head is usually standing upright and cut to form a flat-appearing deck"
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flattop

xezton
Jan 31, 2005

Re: Xezton's post: What's also funny is that the GB didn't really defeat Gozer, in that they only really closed the doorway and killed the destructor. So... Gozer's still Gozing around, loving poo poo up for other beings in other dimensions.

Even in the video game, Gozer's fate isn't incredibly clear. For all we know Gozer is still around, just trapped on Earth in a skull, and so weak all it can do is kinda glow a lil' bit. Surely if someone were to find that skull and power it up with some crazy ritual, Gozer could come back!

Turns out it's pretty hard to kill gods!

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Basebf555 posted:

Maybe its time for another "favorite easy to miss joke in Ghostbusters" discussion. To this day I probably wouldn't have noticed Egon helping Venkman with the pricing at the Sedgwick if someone on SA hadn't pointed it out first.

I think for those of us that grew up with the VHS copy of this film that joke gets lost with Pan & Scan they did on that version. If you really only watched the VHS release until you either saw a theater re-release, or the full frame DVD they practically cut out Ramis from the frame and it loses so much of that joke. I don't think I fully appreciated and noticed that joke until I had a copy of the movie in full frame. That is also one of my favorite moments in the film, it gives Egon that subtle amount of humor/character his generally dry delivery tries to hide.

My biggest GB question that always bugged me was, they were totally broke right? So why the hell did they spend part of Ray's mortgage loan on a god damned arcade machine for their second level living area? You really only see it when "this fine meal here represents the...last of the petty cash", but I never understood why they'd spend money they didn't have on drat Donkey Kong machine I think?

The Notorious ZSB fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Mar 8, 2016

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Maybe Ray already had a Donkey Kong machine?

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

The Notorious ZSB posted:

My biggest GB question that always bugged me was, they were totally broke right? So why the hell did they spend part of Ray's mortgage loan on a god damned arcade machine for their second level living area? You really only see it when "this fine meal here represents the...last of the petty cash", but I never understood why they'd spend money they didn't have on drat Donkey Kong machine I think?

The same reason they set up shop in a dump of a firehouse, rather than someplace better and/or more affordable?

text me a vag pic
May 18, 2007

Dauher posted:

Slimer apparently is actually a CGI enhanced puppet. Similar to the Where the Wild Things Are effects.

I want a link for this one here. Slimer, not the Wild Things.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
Is there a movie with worse Pan & Scan than Ghostbusters? I struggled watching it on TV as the camera just lazily drifted away from whoever was talking.

Guy A. Person posted:

Maybe Ray already had a Donkey Kong machine?

Egon. Egon would have given Billy Mitchell a run for his money.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

steinrokkan posted:

Farts are funny.

i would like to see your evidence for this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

PBS Newshour posted:

i would like to see your evidence for this

It's generally not considered to be a good thing if you can see evidence of farts

• Locked thread