Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Ultragonk posted:

I didn't quite see the point of killing her once and then doing it again.

I'm not sure anything in Ultimatum had a point to it, it's baffling.

Ultimatum is also problematic given Loeb's personal history; it's about a man reacting to the death of his daughter, and Loeb went through the death of his own son to cancer a few years previous to writing it, and has done a number of tributes to his son in various books. But the fact a lot of his writing is colored by that tragic event makes the series even more uncomfortable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Alien Rope Burn posted:

I'm not sure anything in Ultimatum had a point to it, it's baffling.

Ultimatum is also problematic given Loeb's personal history; it's about a man reacting to the death of his daughter, and Loeb went through the death of his own son to cancer a few years previous to writing it, and has done a number of tributes to his son in various books. But the fact a lot of his writing is colored by that tragic event makes the series even more uncomfortable.

As Jeph Loeb hater #1, those books are just baffling in how bad they are. And the fact that Loeb used his son's death as leverage to get those writing assignments didn't help either.

Thankfully he seems to finally have come to terms with Sam's death.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Rhyno posted:

As Jeph Loeb hater #1, those books are just baffling in how bad they are. And the fact that Loeb used his son's death as leverage to get those writing assignments didn't help either.

What I'd heard is that Loeb had planned to take some time off comics after his son died, but Quesada encouraged him to write for the Ultimate line because he hoped it would be cathartic for him.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Wheat Loaf posted:

What I'd heard is that Loeb had planned to take some time off comics after his son died, but Quesada encouraged him to write for the Ultimate line because he hoped it would be cathartic for him.

Ultimate Marvel was Quesada's baby, weird he almost literally threw it out with the bathwater.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Wheat Loaf posted:

This is true but Loeb used Sam's death to convince Marvel to do the Fallen Son mini series. Ed Brubaker was pretty clear that we'd never see Cap's actual funeral and the insiders say that Loeb basically said "Who knows about death and loss more than me?" and got the go ahead to do the mini and Brubaker was not pleased.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 8 minutes!

Rhyno posted:

Probably the best thing Bendis ever wrote. Easily the best use of Iceman ever.

Which is of course why it got dropped as fast as possible. The whole Death of Spider-man thing that went down pretty much crashed the Ultimate line, or at the very least destroyed all my interest in it, from the way it was handled. Had it come when it was supposed to, I think it would've worked out just fine.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Asa sort of pallet cleanser I've just read through Ultimate Enemy, Mystery & Doom. Pretty good, I also read Ultimate Avengers 2. not so good.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Ultragonk posted:

Asa sort of pallet cleanser I've just read through Ultimate Enemy, Mystery & Doom. Pretty good, I also read Ultimate Avengers 2. not so good.

Ultimate Avengers 2 & 3 are not good. The first one with Red Skull was fine, but there's nothing of value in the other two. From where you are now I'd just continue with Ultimate Spider-Man through Ultimate Fallout as well as the Ultimate Thor and Armor Wars minis which were fun. And maybe Ultimate X, which is the only thing Loeb wrote that was kind of decent in the Ultimate Universe. After Fallout you'll want to move on to Ultimate Spider-Man (Miles) and Hickman's books (Ultimates and Hawkeye). Do no read Ultimate X-Men. Nick Spencer's run on that is near Ultimatum bad. Wood manages to come in and salvage what he could and provide a decent story but it's not worth the time really.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

X-O posted:

Ultimate Avengers 2 & 3 are not good. The first one with Red Skull was fine, but there's nothing of value in the other two. From where you are now I'd just continue with Ultimate Spider-Man through Ultimate Fallout as well as the Ultimate Thor and Armor Wars minis which were fun. And maybe Ultimate X, which is the only thing Loeb wrote that was kind of decent in the Ultimate Universe. After Fallout you'll want to move on to Ultimate Spider-Man (Miles) and Hickman's books (Ultimates and Hawkeye). Do no read Ultimate X-Men. Nick Spencer's run on that is near Ultimatum bad. Wood manages to come in and salvage what he could and provide a decent story but it's not worth the time really.

I'm determined to go through the whole ultimate universe, I've read Armor Wars and Ultimate X and enjoyed both of them. Here's the list I'm reading off of, the bold is what I've already read. Which part of X-Men is Spencer's run? The first part or the later stories?

EDIT:Oh and I forgot to ask a question. With Spider-Man he seems to jump from one girl to another on a regular basis do these swaps co inside with new writers who have a favourite girl so one like MJ better than Gwen and has Peter hook up with her?

bessantj fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Mar 7, 2016

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Ultragonk posted:

I'm determined to go through the whole ultimate universe, I've read Armor Wars and Ultimate X and enjoyed both of them. Here's the list I'm reading off of, the bold is what I've already read. Which part of X-Men is Spencer's run? The first part or the later stories?

EDIT:Oh and I forgot to ask a question. With Spider-Man he seems to jump from one girl to another on a regular basis do these swaps co inside with new writers who have a favourite girl so one like MJ better than Gwen and has Peter hook up with her?

The first part of Ultimate X-Men. He leaves the first several issues off on different cliffhangers that he never resolved before leaving. Luckily Wood just kind of ignores it all because it was a huge clusterfuck. The first couple issues will trick you because they're pretty good, but by like issue 5 or so it'll be pretty evident nothing is going anywhere.

No, the artist doesn't really have much sway over which characters are used. The reason he rotates through is because there's a number of girls they wanted to get in and that most 15-16 year old high school kids don't tend to stick with the same girl/boy for a long time because it's high school.

X-O fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Mar 7, 2016

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Rhyno posted:

Probably the best thing Bendis ever wrote. Easily the best use of Iceman ever.

I'd argue that's actually Jonah's arc through USM. His reaction to seeing Peter saving people during Ultimatum, and his response to Betty's lack of journalistic ethics.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Gaz-L posted:

I'd argue that's actually Jonah's arc through USM. His reaction to seeing Peter saving people during Ultimatum, and his response to Betty's lack of journalistic ethics.

Don't make me start posting Bobby's horrible one liners.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Rhyno posted:

Don't make me start posting Bobby's horrible one liners.

It's probably better to put that in the chat thread or funny panels, but please do wherever you think best.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

X-O posted:

Ultimate Fallout

That was really good. A nice way to end off Peter's life.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Rhyno posted:

This is true but Loeb used Sam's death to convince Marvel to do the Fallen Son mini series. Ed Brubaker was pretty clear that we'd never see Cap's actual funeral and the insiders say that Loeb basically said "Who knows about death and loss more than me?" and got the go ahead to do the mini and Brubaker was not pleased.

Ah, I didn't know about that. Was he going to take time off comics after he'd done Fallen Son but was encouraged to stick around? I think it was before Ultimatum.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

X-O posted:

The first part of Ultimate X-Men. He leaves the first several issues off on different cliffhangers that he never resolved before leaving. Luckily Wood just kind of ignores it all because it was a huge clusterfuck. The first couple issues will trick you because they're pretty good, but by like issue 5 or so it'll be pretty evident nothing is going anywhere.

I can see what you're on about, I've just finished the 33 issue run and the first 13 issues seem really out of place, what were they going for? I don't understand it Rogue, Havoc and Quicksilver all see people who have long died and it's revealed (and this is a spoiler) that it's Sinister and Apocalypse again but after that it's not revealed why they did it, why they have started things in motion, what their plan is, what they're going to do with Rogue, Havoc and Quicksilver, what they're going to do with the other mutants etc... It's like it was just a really petty plan

Apocalypse: Did you make them see visions of dead loved ones?
Sinister: I did
Apocalypse: Ahahahaha how deliciously evil. The plan worked.

Dr. Hurt
Oct 23, 2010

It might just be me, but I love seeing villains use their powers for incredibly petty purposes. The idea of Sinister and Apocalypse settling down at the end of the day with a nice brandy and chuckling at how bummed out the heroes must be amuses me to no end.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
On a similar, albeit different, note, I'm reading the Vengeance mini-series that introduced the current Miss America, and the villains in it are pretty hilarious. A bunch of kids with powers ranting about the Man and how all the good villains are fuckin' turncoats and wussies and they hate this grey area poo poo and they'll show everyone- Until an actual dangerous person turns up, in this case Lady Bullseye, and just fuckin' murders one of them while the rest piss themselves.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Gaz-L posted:

On a similar, albeit different, note, I'm reading the Vengeance mini-series that introduced the current Miss America, and the villains in it are pretty hilarious. A bunch of kids with powers ranting about the Man and how all the good villains are fuckin' turncoats and wussies and they hate this grey area poo poo and they'll show everyone- Until an actual dangerous person turns up, in this case Lady Bullseye, and just fuckin' murders one of them while the rest piss themselves.

Welcome to the Joe Casey Fanclub.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Dr. Hurt posted:

It might just be me, but I love seeing villains use their powers for incredibly petty purposes. The idea of Sinister and Apocalypse settling down at the end of the day with a nice brandy and chuckling at how bummed out the heroes must be amuses me to no end.

Darkseid is the master of this.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

It doesn't really take cosmic powers to sneak into someone's house and sit in their chair until they get home.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

But it takes a master of evil to use cosmic powers to do that, then talk poo poo at them, and leave.

And possibly mess up their pots and pans or put their adult diapers out of reach.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Lurdiak posted:

But it takes a master of evil to use cosmic powers to do that, then talk poo poo at them, and leave.

And possibly mess up their pots and pans or put their adult diapers out of reach.

You know he leaves a floater.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Kirby's Darkseid is the master of mundane or goofy appearances. He can do cosmic war against self-control and the bright Gods of New Genesis, but he can also make an evil amusement park, support a huckster salesman, and surprise you in your own easy chair. Kirby's Darkseid was a representation of the urge toward the craven and selfish (our DARK SIDE, if you will), and appropriately would appear in both the magnificent and the mundane of life. You always have to be ready to battle Darkseid in your hearts.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Lightning Lord posted:

Welcome to the Joe Casey Fanclub.

Ultimate Nullifier wasn't seen again, was he? Him and Marvel Boy should try and out cool eachother.

EDIT: My favorite petty use of powers is super villains in the older cartoons demonstrating their might by destroying miniature statues of the super heroes. Chameleon from the "Seven Little Super Heroes" episode of Spider-Man And His Amazing Friends is a great example, and I'm sure the Legion of Doom have done it several times in Super Friends.

Open Marriage Night fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Mar 8, 2016

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Die Laughing posted:

Ultimate Nullifier wasn't seen again, was he? Him and Marvel Boy should try and out cool eachother.

EDIT: My favorite petty use of powers is super villains in the older cartoons demonstrating their might by destroying miniature statues of the super heroes. Chameleon from the "Seven Little Super Heroes" episode of Spider-Man And His Amazing Friends is a great example, and I'm sure the Legion of Doom have done it several times in Super Friends.

He showed up in the latter half of Gillens Young Avengers but then it wasn't really him.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

bobkatt013 posted:

You know he leaves a floater.an upper decker.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Oh yeah! Extermanatrix was the same way. At least until Original Sin...

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

I'm trying to think of petty poo poo bad guys or good have done and coming up empty. You guys should keep posting examples because I'm sure there's some hilarious ones

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

While the Fantastic Four are farting around in the Negative Zone, Annihilus amuses himself by answering their phone.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Johnny was dating an anime?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Lurdiak posted:

Johnny was dating an anime?

It was the '80s, and she'd clearly just gotten back from aerobics class.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Dr. Hurt posted:

Doing something petty is fine, stretching it out to 13 issues I'm not so happy about.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

There we go, done I have finished the Ultimate universe. It's amazing when you have a lot of time off work and can't go anywhere or do anything. There was some good stuff after Ultimatium and I liked the Cataclysm story line but there was some tough stuff to get through as well. I thought Ultimate FF was pretty bad and the Ultimate’s stuff wasn't great but most of the X-Men stuff was enjoyable and All-New Ultimates had its moments. Now to take a weekend off and go through the 616 universe.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Ultragonk posted:

Now to take a weekend off and go through the 616 universe.

Wait, what?

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Skwirl posted:

Wait, what?

Have they changed its name since Secret Wars? I've been sticking so much with the Ultimate universe I've not been reading the main Marvel universe at all. I've read hardly anything since Secret Wars started and there looks like a lot of good stuff out there. After reading so much Ultimate stuff I'm going to have to remember to not be shocked when people who were dead in the Ultimate universe are suddenly alive again.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Ultragonk posted:

Have they changed its name since Secret Wars? I've been sticking so much with the Ultimate universe I've not been reading the main Marvel universe at all. I've read hardly anything since Secret Wars started and there looks like a lot of good stuff out there. After reading so much Ultimate stuff I'm going to have to remember to not be shocked when people who were dead in the Ultimate universe are suddenly alive again.

I think the message was more along the line of "it is not humanly possible to read all the 616 comics over a weekend".

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Ultragonk posted:

No, I'm just curious if you're planning to read nearly every single comic Marvel has published in over 60 years. Because that's a loving fools errand. If you enjoy having big reading projects I'd recommend Lee/Kirby FF (103 issues and some annuals) Frank Miller Daredevil, Claremont's Uncanny X-Men, New Mutants and Excalibur

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I think Ultragonk made it pretty clear he just inteands to catch up on what Marvel has put out since he started reading the Ultimate back catalogue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Oh no, that was a joke it's taken me a few months to read the Ultimate universe mostly because I didn't have the free time I do now so I was just reading in drips and drabs. I do want to read a ton of main continuity comics though. I'm already up to Uncanny X-Men 211 and Amazing Spider-Man 127 I didn't know that Daredevil could be so good so I've added that to the list. Mind you the list of stuff i want to read keeps growing and is a bit out of control I may have to do the sensible thing and just chuck some stuff and slim down my reading list.