Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
D1E
Nov 25, 2001

Turd Burglar posted:

Lmao

CIG probably took out loans using their expensive rear end furniture as collateral

Or the amount of ambergris in Ben's intestinal tract.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Cryengine: A story of chronic back pain

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

D1E posted:

that's not a catte

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Darkpriest667 posted:

Pewdipie, or whatever his name is, is loving awful. If Derek attacked him he should get a loving medal.

https://twitter.com/dsmart/status/706897130347175936

Blunderstorm
Mar 1, 2016

my grandfather just posts and all i got was this lousy joke, so what

D1E posted:

Why do you know that word

Ugh why do I know that word

Ben's fat lol

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

What's the context?

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Beet Wagon posted:

I think so, but they're about as active as the NPCs in Line of Defense.

LOL!! Which is saying a lot; as there aren't any NPCs in Line Of Defense :)

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

EightAce, does CIG have an outside accountant?

Herman Merman
Jul 6, 2008

Greetings from the past commandos

I just wanted to let you know that I really, really want to see a space sim where during a climactic space battle the AI crew on every capital ship runs desperately around carrying buckets of coolant and changing giant fuses that burn out every time a death ray hits the ship's shields.
No, scratch that, I want to see a game where the human players who could not afford ships of their own have to do this.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

What, did PewDiePie play LoD or something?

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

BMan posted:

What, did PewDiePie play LoD or something?

He should play and hate Star Citizen, to pit the two worst gamer cholera latrines against each other

intardnation
Feb 18, 2016

I'm going to space!

:gary: :yarg:

Turd Burglar posted:

Only if they have a marine biology program

The best drat salesperson in world should be teaching at the school. At the very least a TA!

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

D_Smart posted:

LOL!! Which is saying a lot; as there aren't any NPCs in Line Of Defense :)

Fine, robot statues or whatever.

Either way, the NPCs in the PU exist only in the barest "There's a model of a guy standing here" sense.

e: which is why it's doubly funny that CIG won't shut the hell up about AI crewed ships and junk. Thumbs up, CIG!

intardnation
Feb 18, 2016

I'm going to space!

Ravane posted:

What's the context?

bear simulator. Pew didnt like it and told all his followers it was poo poo and get a refund.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

intardnation posted:

bear simulator. Pew didnt like it and told all his followers it was poo poo and get a refund.

I don't normally go out for twitter drama, but I like the idea of D_Smart ripping into that dude for suggesting refunds on a kickstarted game :aaaaa:

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Ravane posted:

Does this loving idiot of a CEO even realize how little wheat actually sells for? No amount of Space weed or wheat could ever justify the purchasing this ship. :chloe:

Look at the size of this biome. It's so loving small. You get 32 bushels of wheat per acre, which sells for about $171 per acre. This is not an acre. This is not even the size of a typical one-story house. :wtchris:

The ship salesman that sold this ship has got to be making GBS threads his pants that someone actually bought this piece of poo poo ship, because anybody who thinks they'll actually make money off of it has got to be loving retarded. Also, what the gently caress kind of dystopian society is star citizen set in that bread is not readily available? Christ, Roberts you loving retard, hahaha. :cripes:

You couldn't even make your money back from space weed.

i'm concerned that the space trees' root structure is too stunted in such shallow soil. the roots are too poorly immersed

See, these are ideas that might be cool in an actual game. Fuckin crazy rear end alien environment pods could be cool and you could get interesting products being produced at a stable rate. Instead star citizen has wank pods. That kind of stuff would be better off in a space station, but if you had a good procedural bird system I could see why aviary pods could be useful and cool.

Another thing that's loving stupid is how narrowly the ships are focused. You should be able to refit a hull to do whatever you want as long as you have appropriately powerful parp cores or whatever. So a ship could be a p fast, robust cargo transport, or the same thing can be a slower, more fragile weed factory. Or put on a mining array or big fuckin guns or something. Advanced scanulators or whatever.

Ships should have basic ranges for like, it has this much actual configurable volume, this much power core, this is the biggest engine you can fit on it, you can have this many hardpoints, and then the player should be able to mix and match whatever modules to make the ship do what they want how they want it. Maybe certain super-niche components like wank pods and bird houses would be restricted to a smaller number of specialized hulls. Instead there's a fuckin overload of hull variants that are locked in.

doesn't matter cause they're all jpegs but it's fuckin dumb

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Duckaerobics posted:

This would actually make me more worried that they were running out of money. If they have a bunch of cash and a consistent revenue stream then there isn't a reason to take out a loan. They are instead giving up money later for money now. This is not the sign of a company flush with cash.

If they needed that money to cover operating expenses they are in serious trouble. The interest on those loans will only increase their operational cost. This coupled with the decreased funding rate could cause CIG to fail even faster. They are probably betting that SQ42 will keep them solvent, but I don't think it will bring in significant numbers even if they manage to release it.

I enjoy your insider knowledge, but I think now is the time to find another job, not when they start missing paychecks. Although, the UK probably has a lot better unemployment than the US so you might be ok.

^this

Also, taking out a loan - if you don't need it - also means paying interest that you wouldn't otherwise be paying.

That aside from the fact that now, a third-party (a bank no less!) now has access to their books. Guess what now? ANY lawsuit (or regulatory inquiries) that arises from this, means that bank gets a subpoena for ALL their records pertaining to ANY/ALL transactions with ANY/ALL entities associated with RSI/CIG/F42. That's called a paper trail. And it has a cascading effect due to how ALL the companies are related to each other.

As I've said before, they're out of cash. All they have to rely on is the crowd-funding, subsidized by the bank loan/line and tax credits.

And THAT'S probably why they're letting Star Citizen go to poo poo while trying to get SQ42 out because that's there doable, short-term cash revenue. And is primarily the reason I'm hearing they are trying to come up with a console version. Problem in that regard is that the PC custom code they built from CryEngine, is far from the base line console CryEngine version. They have to port/merge it. Or - wait for it - there is a good chance that, now they've detached any relationship with both games (ergo you can't continue your SQ42 career in Star Citizen), that they could very develop the console version using a completely different baseline engine. Which is hilarious; considering the fact that both the PC and console (XB1/PS4) versions would be different code bases that need to be maintained. It would be like me building the console version of LOD with Unity5, while keeping the PC version based on my Havok custom engine. The stuff that gamedev nightmares are made of.

If they are in fact trying to get SQ42 out on consoles, they won't want to release the PC version first because they've already tapped out the earning potential there; given the number of backers who are entitled to it. And judging from the lackluster sales since the split, they know this too; and so they aren't likely to release the PC version ahead of the console version. Hence the reason that it probably won't see the light of day until late 2017.

They're hosed. Completely.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Hav posted:

That's a very high bar for proof. It's one of the reasons why it's usually talked down to incompetance or mistake; malice of forethought requires direct evidence.

And this is where I need to read the news. Sorry about that.

edit:

Okay, that 38 studios lawsuit has nothing to do with 38 studios;

"The Securities and Exchange Commission today charged Wells Fargo Securities and the Rhode Island Commerce Corporation (formerly the Rhode Island Economic Development Corporation) with defrauding investors in the issuing of $75 million in bonds to loan the studio money."

They're charging the financiers, which is hilarious.

Even loving better; "Three individuals--Wells Fargo's lead banker Peter M. Cannava and former RIEDC executives Keith W. Stokes and James Michael Saul--were charged with aiding and abetting the fraud. Stokes and Saul have already settled the charges, paying $25,000 each but not admitting to the allegations."

Neat discount.

38 studios themselves settled for $8 million years ago. Derek, what did you think this suit was about, sweetie?

At which point did your brain shutdown? Was it before or after the "38Studios" reference?

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

SniperWoreConverse posted:

i'm concerned that the space trees' root structure is too stunted in such shallow soil. the roots are too poorly immersed

See, these are ideas that might be cool in an actual game. Fuckin crazy rear end alien environment pods could be cool and you could get interesting products being produced at a stable rate. Instead star citizen has wank pods. That kind of stuff would be better off in a space station, but if you had a good procedural bird system I could see why aviary pods could be useful and cool.

Another thing that's loving stupid is how narrowly the ships are focused. You should be able to refit a hull to do whatever you want as long as you have appropriately powerful parp cores or whatever. So a ship could be a p fast, robust cargo transport, or the same thing can be a slower, more fragile weed factory. Or put on a mining array or big fuckin guns or something. Advanced scanulators or whatever.

Ships should have basic ranges for like, it has this much actual configurable volume, this much power core, this is the biggest engine you can fit on it, you can have this many hardpoints, and then the player should be able to mix and match whatever modules to make the ship do what they want how they want it. Maybe certain super-niche components like wank pods and bird houses would be restricted to a smaller number of specialized hulls. Instead there's a fuckin overload of hull variants that are locked in.

doesn't matter cause they're all jpegs but it's fuckin dumb

If you were able to refit your jpeg to be a png or a bmp or a loving obj or whatever you wouldn't buy many of them would you

intardnation
Feb 18, 2016

I'm going to space!

D_Smart posted:

^this

Also, taking out a loan - if you don't need it - also means paying interest that you wouldn't otherwise be paying.

That aside from the fact that now, a third-party (a bank no less!) now has access to their books. Guess what now? ANY lawsuit (or regulatory inquiries) that arises from this, means that bank gets a subpoena for ALL their records pertaining to ANY/ALL transactions with ANY/ALL entities associated with RSI/CIG/F42. That's called a paper trail. And it has a cascading effect due to how ALL the companies are related to each other.

As I've said before, they're out of cash. All they have to rely on is the crowd-funding, subsidized by the bank loan/line and tax credits.

And THAT'S probably why they're letting Star Citizen go to poo poo while trying to get SQ42 out because that's there doable, short-term cash revenue. And is primarily the reason I'm hearing they are trying to come up with a console version. Problem in that regard is that the PC custom code they built from CryEngine, is far from the base line console CryEngine version. They have to port/merge it. Or - wait for it - there is a good chance that, now they've detached any relationship with both games (ergo you can't continue your SQ42 career in Star Citizen), that they could very develop the console version using a completely different baseline engine. Which is hilarious; considering the fact that both the PC and console (XB1/PS4) versions would be different code bases that need to be maintained. It would be like me building the console version of LOD with Unity5, while keeping the PC version based on my Havok custom engine. The stuff that gamedev nightmares are made of.

If they are in fact trying to get SQ42 out on consoles, they won't want to release the PC version first because they've already tapped out the earning potential there; given the number of backers who are entitled to it. And judging from the lackluster sales since the split, they know this too; and so they aren't likely to release the PC version ahead of the console version. Hence the reason that it probably won't see the light of day until late 2017.

They're hosed. Completely.

Welp if CIG is living from sale to sale and making ends meet via a line of credit - that isnt a healthy situation. When you run close to 0 the margin for error and failure is so small. So if the ship sales dont go well in the next little bit - people could start getting frigidity.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

D_Smart posted:

^this

Running a company doesn't work like a household budget, grampaw. Keep your eyes on the prize

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

If you were able to refit your jpeg to be a png or a bmp or a loving obj or whatever you wouldn't buy many of them would you

Some special JPORGS are able to be refit for different roles - provided you pay $$$ to buy the modules to refit them. Just think, you could buy that big stupid greenhouse ship and have a different module on each of the weird little bell-ends! Only $900.00 USD!

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Hav posted:

*snip meaningless words*

You're the one going around in circles. These charges AROSE from the 38Studios fiasco. REGARDLESS of who the charges were filed AGAINST, they were FILED....as a result of the 38Studios fiasco. Period. End of story.

intardnation
Feb 18, 2016

I'm going to space!

He should play and hate Star Citizen, to pit the two worst gamer cholera latrines against each other

That would be priceless and a bloodbath of epic proportions.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice
https://twitter.com/dsmart/status/706897130347175936

Ravane posted:

What's the context?

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2016-03-07-kickstarter-funded-bear-simulator-abandoned-by-its-creator

http://kotaku.com/successful-100-000-kickstarter-dev-calls-it-quits-due-1763162848

quote:

So why all the drama? For one thing, I wasn’t the only person who makes YouTube videos to notice Bear Simulator on Steam. Felix “Pewdiepie” Kjellberg also played the game, and he did not like it at all.

His video review of the game ended with YouTube’s biggest celebrity giving the game developer the finger after attempting to get a Steam refund for it. The vid currently has more than 2.5 million views.

Update-9pm, March 6: As pointed out by intrepid TAY community reporters, PewDiePie’s video has gone private since the posting of this article.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

90 days, tops.

Guaranteed.

:smuggo:

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Beet Wagon posted:

Fine, robot statues or whatever.

Either way, the NPCs in the PU exist only in the barest "There's a model of a guy standing here" sense.

e: which is why it's doubly funny that CIG won't shut the hell up about AI crewed ships and junk. Thumbs up, CIG!

Oh right, my inactive sentry androids you mean? yeah, I get it now.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Beet Wagon posted:

I don't normally go out for twitter drama, but I like the idea of D_Smart ripping into that dude for suggesting refunds on a kickstarted game :aaaaa:

The refund was not for the KS game, since he had already delivered it. It was for the pos-KS version being sold on Steam. And my comment was that, after he started getting flak, he tried to deflect it into saying that the game was bad, blah, blah, blah. Yet, he made the video private anyway. So somewhere, he must have realized that he irresponsibly screwed up. So I called him out on it.

Adventure Pigeon
Nov 8, 2005

I am a master storyteller.

D1E posted:

It wouldn't surprise me if Ben would willingly sell an organ or two to keep Star Citizen running if they asked him to. Of course, his organs are probably shot, but maybe there's still a rendering station somewhere in New England they could get a few bucks from.

So will Star Citizen make it to the end of 2016?

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Enchanted Hat posted:

please someone edit this so he's holding a wad of bills and a making it rain :homebrew:

Whoever did this before me, I don't like you

Now put him in a stripclub, or better yet the nightclub from SC.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Beet Wagon posted:

Some special JPORGS are able to be refit for different roles - provided you pay $$$ to buy the modules to refit them. Just think, you could buy that big stupid greenhouse ship and have a different module on each of the weird little bell-ends! Only $900.00 USD!

Well paint my cock pink and hand me my ovipostulator, because that's literally my fetisch!

Can I please buy a whole bunch of those ships and ~*greenhouse modules*~? I'm thinking of growing cucumbers and my spaceman will get mighty thin if I don't shove a whole lot of them down his, uh, throat

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Running a company doesn't work like a household budget, grampaw. Keep your eyes on the prize

Sorry, but I own and operate two multi-million dollar companies. So I do know what I'm talking about. How about you?

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

is this their real €2,500,000 coffee machine? What is it actually called I want to look @ it

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

D_Smart posted:

Oh right, my inactive sentry androids you mean? yeah, I get it now.

Yeah, those. Full disclosure, I still haven't played LoD yet so I'm mainly just talking out of my rear end.

D_Smart posted:

The refund was not for the KS game, since he had already delivered it. It was for the pos-KS version being sold on Steam. And my comment was that, after he started getting flak, he tried to deflect it into saying that the game was bad, blah, blah, blah. Yet, he made the video private anyway. So somewhere, he must have realized that he irresponsibly screwed up. So I called him out on it.

He wouldn't even own up to his criticisms? That's bullshit. Light him up, SmartDad!

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Star Citizen: Hand Me My Ovipostulator

Blunderstorm
Mar 1, 2016

god drat im liking the brand of derek smarts internet justice

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

lol if you spend $30k on a coffee machine and then serve the coffee in a glass.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
I just got derek'd

Blunderstorm
Mar 1, 2016

MeLKoR posted:

lol if you spend $30k on a coffee machine and then serve the coffee in a glass.

its not coffe, jesus you obviously dont know anything about espresso development

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

D_Smart posted:

Sorry, but I own and operate two multi-million dollar companies. So I do know what I'm talking about. How about you?

Does it make you angry that Chris Roberts is the CEO of a $109 million dollar company, worshipped by thousands of people, and married to a famous actress?

And you're not?

• Locked thread