Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Freak: +3 | Danger: +1| Savior: +1| Superior: -1 | Mundane: -1
Potential: 4/5 | Conditions: | Location: Coffee Shop

I wasn't that tired. I mean, I fell asleep the second we got back on the way 'home', but that just meant that when I had to stumble down to my room - a uh, steel lined room in the basement that has been annoyingly branded as The Cage by people who don't think I can hear them.... which kinda pisses me off, but I was tired enough that I didn't care as I made my way to it today. The room was uh, custom made for me - the walls are thick enough that I have to actually try to dent or pierce of otherwise ruin them, so they're safe from my usual sleep-flailing. Funny story about that, I actually had a normal room for a few months, even had a roommate - it helped the whole 'getting into uniform' thing, which is part of why I uh, don't wear much of a uniform anymore. But anyways, so things go well enough... until one night I have a nightmare. Apparently I kicked the wall in my sleep, and the spike on my heel got caught.... and then hooked... and well, when I pulled it away in my sleep, I ended up ripping enough ofthe wall out that the entire thing became a little unstable.

So after nearly killing my first roommate, I ended up with this. I think that between how much I need to eat, making this room, and constantly replacing my clothes, I'm the most expensive member of the team. But regardless - I can't sleep all day, and I realize as much. So i get out of bed, I put on a new top and the typical skirted shorts - luckily without puncturing anything, which is rare, and I make my way towards the usual hangout. The usual hangout, of course, being the coffee shop. I was a regular there, not that it ever meant I got less stares than I did the first day I walked in. And I mean, I tried to own it - I wouldn't dress like this and work so hard to be so cut if I didn't want to be seen well at least. But something about being the only one stared at meant that i hated sitting alone - anywhere. Luckily, or unluckily, SHODAN appeared to be playing with... some kind of holographic... nerd thing at one of the tables.

Which gave me plenty of reason to walk over there - differences between us or not - and sit down with her. I didn't really understand the specifics of most of this tech stuff - I mean, I knew enough to know how to break it without blowing things up, but technology was hard to manipulate when your claws break screens even with the lightest of swipes. So as she spoke about what she did, I couldn't help but be a little bit happy - look, no one innocent was getting hurt from this - so why would I care? "That's awesome~! So we didn't just catch that Stupo-mancer..." Okay that sounded better in my head, ignore it, "And then had some jerks with weapons to use on us show up, with nothing we could do? That's just, like, gosh! I'd hug you right now, if... you know!" I laughed a little nervously, luckily saved by a cup of my usual hibiscus tea showing up, the deep red color similar to my scales.

Celebrating, and confirm u are cool af Lower your freak and raise yo mundane because she thinks you're rad and nice and huggable.

"Oh, well... I was a bit nervous when he started talking to us, I didn't really know him at all honestly. I mean I didn't usually talk to people besides the team and some of the other students, you know, and I never knew how much to even share - I mean I obviously didn't hide my identity anywhere. But state secrets and investigations and not opening your big mouth is important, so I mean, I just kind of coughed and looked away and gosh, no, I hated talking to strangers who weren't freaked out, it just instantly made them make me nervous. "T-thanks, I-I-I uh, I don't really need anything, b-but i-it's nice to see you?" God I must look so stupid - a giant dragon woman with scales all over blushing and stuttering just from being treated slightly normal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Freak -1 | Danger -1 | Savior +2 | Superior +1 | Mundane +2
Potential: 0/5 | Conditions: | Location: Steranko Hall, Room 304

I rub my eyes once, then hop up out of my chair. I fish around and pull out a mug for Gabi. "I got it," I tell my roommate. Mug on the desk, then I pour carefully. Don't want to get chewed out about a spill again. "Seriously. There was this paper at the lab, I think the CASTLE guys missed it. Had two words. Misfits, and GEMM. I...."

I hold the mug out for Gabi, but pause. It's not really my story to tell. How can I tap dance around this?

"It's something Jewels was telling me about," I say, utterly flogging the passive voice. "GEMM was some secret military super soldier project. Probably cold war madness, like the goat psychic thing. Maybe...." I hummm. "Maybe Sciromancer thought it was a real thing and was looking for its output? Those don't ring any bells for you, do they?"

I sit back down, topping up my tea cup and then asking. "Was somebody here last night?"

Rauri
Jan 13, 2008

Fre: -1 | Dan: 0 | Sav: -1 | Sup: +3 | Mun: +2
Potential: 0/5 | Conditions: Insecure | Location: Food Court Coffee Shop

Wow, Vermillion's nearly as awed by my genius - and larceny - as I am! I can't help but smile (and not even in a sarcastic way) when she responds to my efforts and praises me. Especially with all I'm doing for the team, it's nice to feel like I'm welcome on it now and again. She offers to hug me too, which, uh... glad she thought better of it, though I appreciate the would-be gesture. Given what happened to her last roommate, it's definitely for the best.

Before we can continue our conversation further we're interrupted by someone bearing free drinks for us. One of the best ways to get interrupted I think. It's... that one guy that works here! The one that actually remembers my drink order and gets it right, since the one he's provided for me is exactly the way I like them. Just as my current one had been getting empty, too. Plus he's totally on the Team Valkyrie Train, which is neat. Nice to know regular kids here appreciate us, and it sure seems like he does.

Removing Insecure.

Having hidden the image of the Dalek-wannabe I had on display when Esmail (it kills me his nametag doesn't start with Call me) comes over, I move my mostly empty coffee aside for this new one, smirking back at him. "Hey, thanks a bunch." Vermillion meanwhile is kinda melting down - maybe she has a crush on him or something? I mean, he's nice in a perfectly ordinary kinda way, I guess... still, gonna pop in here and save my teammate.

"Got any turnovers?" I ask, pointing with my hand that isn't holding my brand new coffee. "Or chocolate muffins?" Looking at Vermilion studiously for a moment, I order for her, since she's blushing so much I'm starting to wonder if she's not manifesting the ability to breathe fire any second now. "She'll have a turnover also." Or I get two of them, win-win here.

Rauri fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Mar 3, 2016

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

Freak -1 | Danger +1 | Savior 0 | Superior 0 | Mundane +3
Potential 2/5 | Conditions: | The Coffee Shop of Doom

"Nice to see you too. Normally hide behind my counter, but I was about to get on to school- thought I would drop by and give my appreciation... if that is alright"

When Vermillion kind of just collapses, I am not sure what to make of it. I mean I am not exactly her type? Beside she seems to hurt anyone who isn't completely invulnerable, or maybe I am being creepy. gently caress, why does this have to be so hard, where are the fist bumps and the high fives I am use too? Of course, those were just street kids that I hung out with in Switzerland, not super powered girls. Oh well, gotta keep this cool, I think without my smile fading, after all I was very good at putting on a mask. I was sure that Fission would have gotten a better reception, but oh well.

Shodan appears to save me and Vermillion, my hand behind my head scratching it. "Two Turnovers? Sure, Sure, we normally throw them away if no one eats them, so I'll get them for you, and then head out." I said a bit of a scarlet glow on my cheeks. Gotta keep it cool, "After that gotta head out to school myself." I turn and start back to my counter, bending over to take up the last two apple turnovers, and decide to throw in a chocolate muffin in the fridge. Honestly anyone named Miracle, deserves a bit extra. Harsh, I mean I had a dad that use to get frustrated I wasn't into particle physics, so I had a little bit of a clue what it was like to have bad parents.

Returning to the table with my backpack on my back, and two plates in my hands, one with two turnovers and the other with two chocolate muffins, "Figured I would increase my odds of being rescued and give you both a little extra." I said with a winning smile, and a bit of a laugh. "I am sure you both have important- super- heroing." I glanced over at Vermillion and tried to NOT be a creep. Last I need is her punching me through a wall, though I mean she isn't not attractive per say, just... dangerous. Shodan on the hand looked cute in a Gothic way- Shut up brain. Get out of there, focus. Last I need to be known as is being the creep.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.

Freak +1 | Danger +2 | Savior -1 | Superior +2 | Mundane -1
Potential: 0/5 | Conditions: None

Well probably the three of us got summoned because I was the most offensive to the so called CASTLE Agent, Avatar attacked him and Sylphid did a completely dreadful job of trying to lead the team, so we're all gonna get chewed out. The only thing thing that explanation misses is why Vermilion isn't here, since she also attacked quote Agent endquote Foster. No one is talking, least of all our oh so successful leader, leaving me plenty of time to continue dwelling on that meeting. Mainly that as far as I can tell, the government, if those actually were CASTLE, and they were receiving up to date intel on us -which they probably were since that douchenugget had some kind of anti-Avatar grenade- they don't know about my real secret. So, things are pretty good on that score! Just wish I'd punched some answers out of him.

Getting tired of the silence, I let out a loud yawn and stretch. "You recovering alright from yesterday Avatar?" I give Avatar a friendly pat on the back -very gently- then look sideways at Sylphid, barely holding back a slight smirk. "How badly do you think Doring's gonna chew you out for yesterday Sylphy?"

<godfish> provoke Sylphid
<godfish> !r 2d6+3
<Krysmbot> godfish, 7+3 = 10
<godfish> snerk
<Rauri> hahaha
Trying to get Sylphid flustered and off balanced for the meeting with Doring.
Add a team to the pool if are, if you don't mark a Condition.

GodFish fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Mar 3, 2016

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?

Freak: 0 | Danger: -1| Savior: +2 | Superior: 0 | Mundane: +2
Potential: 2/5 | Conditions: Guilty | Location: Hallways

"Hmph. First off, it was this morning, not yesterday. Get something as simple as this right, Punchy McPunchington. Besides, why would she chew ME out? I'm the field leader, I still have to file the report, and not to mention I did try to act diplomatically - just about the only one on the team, mind you! Y-You're deluded if you think I'M the one to get chewed out!"

Well, honestly, yesterday WAS a mess. Maybe I could have done more...? But for all my speed, I cannot control the minds and more importantly tongues of my teammates...

Adding Team to the pool.

Yami Fenrir fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Mar 9, 2016

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.

Freak +2 | Danger +2 | Savior +1 | Superior -1 | Mundane 0
Potential: 0/5 | Conditions: Afraid

Physically, I'm feeling better. There's still a slight tingle in my limbs, even after all this time, but that's /nothing/ compared to the immediate effects of the EMP bomb.

Mentally...? I'm not so hot. You know, with the whole 'being effortlessly taken down by the one person I need to interrogate to stop the creature that's going to make my premature end even more premature' thing? And the inevitable chewing out I'm going to get for Miss Doring for hitting the supervillain because he had a badge and a uniform like that makes him okay.

When Jewels pats me on the back, I jump - just a bit - I wasn't expecting that, too busy thinking to myself, and... honestly I'm just a bit jumpy right now. Getting taken down effortlessly will do that to you, I guess. Still, don't think she needs to know how bad that messed me up. Last thing I want is for her to feel sorry for me. So when I reply, I try to keep my voice level and flat.

"Eh? I'm... well, I've had worse. Don't worry about me." ...which is an absolutely fantastic thing to say if I'm aiming to never get anywhere with her, I realize after I said it. But... argh, I'm not sure how to fix that.

Maybe that combination of being scared enough to jump at shadows and messing up what should have been a softball in getting anywhere with Jewels is why I'm irritable enough to snap at Sylphid while she and Jewels are arguing. "And you did such a good job, 'leader'. Congratulations on letting the bad guys take all the credit for the team's work, and siding with them over us. You'll get a gold star for that."

[08:07am] Nown: Provoking Sylphid
[08:07am] Nown: !roll 2d6-1
[08:07am] Krysmbot: Nown, 9-1 = 8
Trying to get Sylphid to admit standing up for CASTLE was a mistake.
If she does, add a team to the pool.

...okay, and maybe, if I'm being honest, I might be trying to get into Jewels' good graces here. This is not the time to talk about how I feel, but maybe after we're done taking our lumps from Ms. Doring... maybe if I feel better, then.

AdjectiveNoun fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Mar 3, 2016

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Potential: 2/5 | Conditions: Guilty | Location: Hallways

"Uh-huh. Tell me again how I was supposed to know he was a villain, which you incidentally still have not provided proof for me for, beforehand. Especially considering you neglected to inform anyone of the fact. What would you do if someone in a symbiosis with an unknown lifeform or whatever just charged up and attacked the guy you were talking to? I thought you got taken over by Sciromancer or something, for gods sake! Not to mention that almost the entire team seems to have forgotten what the team was originally made for."

Sylphid takes a moment to sigh.

"Here, I'll remind you: We're supposed to show people, and especially the government, that metahumans can be responsible, disciplined, considerate, and willing to work with normal people as well as together. Which, incidentally, is not solved by running of on your own, not telling your teammates vital information, and then punching a government goon, presumed villain or not. And don't give me any of the 'Myriad made me do it' nonsense, if you can't manage to control your own body, you should be in training, not outside possibly becoming a menace. ... But seriously, do you think the CASTLE goons are like that because they hate you specifically, you two? No, I don't think so. They think you're reckless teens throwing their power around because it's fun, regardless of consequences, and to them, you just proved them right, again.. I mean, for gods sake, Dragon essentially attacked the team simply because she thought we were being too rough. Tell me, do you two seriously think keeping this up will work out long term?

Yami Fenrir fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Mar 9, 2016

thejoshie
May 3, 2013

"...what does she know?"

As Sylphid talks you see... 'you'... walk from behind her. "You did what was needed. He's bad news to you. To us. To... me."

She sashays airily in front of Sylphid as she steadily continue to talk. Are you the only person to see her? Even Jewels don't acknowledge her presence. Yet she spins around and leans on Sylphid.

"Look at her. Ignorant at the way the world works. Silver spoon in her mouth... given everything and never once had something denied of her. But you know better. And you could be better!"

She spins around again and looks at you. And now... you are back to the hospital room. THAT hospital room. Both of you are looking at... 'you' laying on the bed. "You remember this, don't you? You remember how helpless you were? You act like it. You need to be stronger... you need to take control!"

She turns back towards you. "...why don't you trust me? I can lead them... unlock my fellow myriad's true potential... but 'you' are the key! I want to be free... but you have to release me... then you no longer need Ms. Ego here! Then you can experiance true strength... the strength to take anything you want!"

She walks infront of your vision and now you're back in the hallway, walking towards Jewels. "...and I mean anything. It's so simple. Stop being stubborn and naive..."

She steps into Jewels' face. "...release your inhibitions..."

Her face inches closer...

"..just..."

Closer.

"...let..."

Lips inches apart.

"...go..."

...It'll be fun. I promise! Better than a hospital bed, right?

So yep, this is 'singularity. And if you want to fight it's view, make that roll. Otherwise, -1 Mundane +1 Superior

----

Sylphid, Jewels, Avatar

The three of you continues your journey to the hallways of the administrative wing. Various adults turns sharply at the three of you as you argue, shushing you or glaring at you, some even peek out of offices telling you to be quiet!

You all ignore them as you all continue the journey.

So, what do you all see in this wing? What stands out to each of you?

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.

“It was dark out and I went to bed afterwards. That was last night. Also, that was a really pedantic point to try and make.” I smirk a little, yup, totally under her skin. “If you’re the leader, maybe you should have backed up Bravura when Vermillion was giving her poo poo for shooting at a super villain. Or moved to project Avatar from the person claiming to be a government agent that attacked her.”

Avatar agrees with me as well, excellent. “‘Agent’ Foster obviously wanted a fight though, he was trying to provoke Shodan and had a weapon specifically designed for Avatar. Nothing any of us did changed their opinion they went in with one fully formed. But it was nice of you to stand up for them instead of us.” Maybe I’m being too harsh, but I don’t like this area, its putting my nerves on edge. Too many smooth walls, florescent lights and adults standing around looking professional. One of the rooms I saw into was full of rows and rows of file cabinets. I don’t have anything against file cabinets, but the image reminded me of the rows of tanks. I shudder a bit thinking back on it. "How far to Doring's office anyway?" I ask irritably.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Potential: 4/5 | Conditions: | Location: Coffee Shop

I'm still freaking out even as he walks away - it's so loving stupid, jesus I would beat myself up if I was seeing myself from afar right now. I mean he's not even cute, he's just boring as hell and regular but it just makes it harder to stay focused as he just treats me like I don't literally dwarf my teammate. I take a few deep breaths as he's gone, and don't say a single thing to my table-mate while he's gone. Calming deep breaths, the kind you take when you're angry, just this time for when you're flustered. I pair this by drinking my scalding tea without a single hint of a care - despite not being able to traditionally breathe fire, I'm pretty resistant to damage, even internally and on my exposed skin. Hot things especially - they just really don't bother me generally, whether it's temperature hot or even just flavor hot - I mean anything not 'multiple drops of ghost pepper on a single spoon of food' doesn't even register with me, since capsaicin is pain, not actually a flavor.

Regardless, my cup is empty now and he's returning with turnovers and I open my mouth to thank him - i thought it through a dozen times, it was easy, just say thank you normally, like a normal person would, "Yourwelcome." I blurt out the words and then blink as I realize what I said. My dumb stupid idiot face is soon on the table next to my turnover, and I don't even want to look up. God this is so incredibly stupid. I should take some form of public speaking class or something, I mean I'm fine when everyone's afraid - though it makes me sad - or awed by me, but when it's neither it's just, how do I do this?

thejoshie
May 3, 2013
Dragon, Shodan and Fission

(For the sake of player ease, Fission returns in time for this. Call it Comic Book conviniance)

So, Dragon, you hold your head down for an extended period of time. Thus, you don't see the danger approaching.

"...well, well, well. And what is tugging your tail this time, Scales?" Says a voice that, honestly, you could do without hearing. You just calmed back down, damnit! "...oh, let me guess: You and your 'team' screwing up, costing the city thousands of dollars and a hi-tech lab to boot? Everyone blames Shodan... but I'm sure you used her as a scape goat..."

'Coach' Matthews, in his full, intimidating glory, complete with his jogging suit, whistle around his neck... and the surgical bandage covering the side of his face that you caused thanks to your left hook**. He looks down on you, reaching down and taking your turnover. "I told her, warned her even that a freak like you will only bring detriment to the team. Even Shodan here makes up her weakness by being a badass... but you..."

**I'm sure you faithful readers remembers the left hook that Lisa gave this jerk back in Valkyrie Origins: Vermillion Dragon, right? If not, go back and re-read it! One of my favorite moments!

-Josh

He begins to eat the turnover. Your turnover. Right in front of you.

Keep your cool, Lisa.

"...but then, I also hear an interesting rumor. Attacking government agents? Brutalizing your targets with unnecessary force? What's wrong, princess? Chip a claw or something?" He leans close to you. "And now... I even hear that Ms. Doring might be down sizing the team! Poor Lisa... your size and strength won't save you when Jewels have you beat in the physicals... and she doesn't break the bed when she wets it!"

Keep your cool, Lisa.**

If you are asking yourselves 'Dragon! Why are you taking this!?', Then you haven't read Valkyrie Origins: Vermillion Dragon! If you had and forgotten, a reminder: Dragon made a promise not to lay a hand on another faculty member.

-Josh

He stands back up, dropping the half eaten turnover back infront of you. "Lisa, I don't know why you're still here, even after you did what you did, but make no mistake, I hope... _pray_ that it's you who is cut... because a freak like you... you're going to get someone killed. You're not like Shodan here! She's useful! Smart, inventive, doesn't mope around like a little skink! People call her a trouble maker... but I say screw that! She's going places! Not like you... you have no place here..."

He looks at Shodan and smile. "...good work with those mines, btw. Sure, you added to the damage, but you took Spambot down. Don't let anyone give you grief! And as promised, I convinced Doring to let you back into the Labs. Keep up the good work, kid."

He turns to leave. "...oh, and Shodan? Stick with Lisa Lizard here. Hopefully your awesomeness might rub off on her!"

He glares at you one last time, Dragon, before he marches off. Yep, his only purpose, besides praising Shodan, was to apparently try and piss you off. Wow. He hates you that much. Especially since he knows that you could get expelled for laying another finger on faculty.

((Here we go!

Shodan! If you accept Coach's views of you (and by extension, let his insults towards Lisa slide) than you gain +1 Freak, -1 Mundane (The Freak stat is relevant, cause he approves of her tactics)

Dragon, if you accept Coach's views of you, ditto (+1 Freak, -1 Mundane) and take the Anger condition))

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Potential: 4/5 | Conditions: Angry | Location: Coffee Shop

Rejecting Influence.
19:46 KittyEmpress !r 2d6
19:46 Krysmbot KittyEmpress, 5 = 5

...Advancing.

Be the Monster:
When you frighten,
intimidate, or cow others with your monstrous
form, roll + Freak. On a hit, they are thrown
off and make themselves vulnerable to you, or
they flee. On a 10+, choose 1. On a 7-9,
choose 2.
- You frighten others you had not intended to
scare.
- You hurt someone or break something you
shouldn't have.
- You feel like more of a monster afterward;
mark a condition (GM's choice).
On a miss, they react with violence, hatred,
and paranoia, and you suffer the brunt of it.

I want to ignore this, I wanna just ignore this rear end in a top hat, he knows I could break him with one finger, he knows that if I wanted to be the monster he claims I am, I could have done so already. He knows all about that, or at least he should - I'm not a monster, I'm not! I'm a person and... and I'm not just going to seethe as this rear end in a top hat thinks he can get away with this, no, if he wanted to see a monster, then he could. Don't lay a hand on him? I don't need to lay anything on him, no, if he wants to make me into a monster, I can handle that, I can do that, I can be that for him. So I stand, my previous embarrassment gone, entirely. I don't even look at SHODAN, as I unfurl my wings to their full spread. He thinks he can get away from me, huh? Or does he just think that I wont stand up to him, because of some idiocy?

No, I'm not even going to fly, I'm just happy to walk out the door with my wings unfurled, and then sprint. See, leg strength, when it's strong enough - like mine - is pretty scary. Oh I don't show it off often, since I can fly anyways, but leaping tall buildings? Easy. So this run is more of a.... horizontal leap. One that craters the ground as I take off...

Be The Monster
19:52 KittyEmpress !r 2d6+4
19:52 Krysmbot KittyEmpress, 3+4 = 7
You frighten others you had not intended to scare.
You feel like more of a monster afterward; mark a condition (GM's choice). I suggest Insecure

I had okay aim, as I sunk my entire arm elbow deep into the ground, right near Matthew's shoes. But that wasn't the end, no, it wasn't enough to show him that I could pierce solid stone, he might not understand that much, so instead of raising my hand up, I clutched my claws into the dirt, and pulled upwards, the ground straining in an unnatural way, as I gave the sidewalk a little hill, before ripping my hand out, "Oops. It looked like the fire ants might hurt you, coach. We wouldn't want you to die.... I mean, I know how sensitive you normies are." I gave a grin, fully showing the more pointed than usual teeth I possessed, as I casually stomped the ground back down to its normal elevation.

Provoking too
20:16 KittyEmpress !r 2d6-1
20:16 Krysmbot KittyEmpress, 12-1 = 11
Overreaction

Rauri
Jan 13, 2008

Fre: +1 | Dan: 0 | Sav: -1 | Sup: +3 | Mun: +0
Potential: 1/5 | Conditions: | Location: Food Court Coffee Shop -> Outside

The Too Long, Didn't Read on Agent Matthews is he's an idiotic authoritarian douchebag. Giving Vermilion poo poo and blaming her for my explosions while simultaneously praising me for them, mocking her metahumanity, eating her turnover like some 80's movie antagonist, openly saying he hopes she gets cut from the team and that she doesn't belong here. I don't give a gently caress if he's praised me, if anything it makes me feel dirty somehow. He basically just used his Super Monologue mutation and praise of me to do nothing but try and hurt her - and I don't like getting used.

I am absolutely glaring at him for every second of his dumb speech, and not only should it be perfectly obvious from my expression that I despise him, the only reason I haven't said or done anything to him yet is Vermilion deserves first crack at him. Don't think I'm going to get to use the Computer Lab after all, basically, since I am going to piss this dude off somehow, mark my words.

<Rauri> RIP newly regained Computer Lab Access : /
<Rauri> Reject Influence
<Rauri> !r 2d6
<Krysmbot> Rauri, 11 = 11
Clear a condition or mark potential by immediately acting to prove them wrong, Shift 1 label up (Freak) and 1 label down (Mundane), your choice. Since I didn't pick the option to cancel their influence, the +1 Fre -1 Mun from Coach Matthew's action applies as well.

There's a calm before the storm and I side-eye VD, ready to try and joke with her a little to take her mind off that rear end in a top hat... but then she stands up, unfurling her wings, and it looks like it's go time. Well then. Hastily stowing my tablet in a coat pocket and practically leaping out of my seat, I follow after her.

Getting out the door two point five seconds (thanks mutated brain for calculating that for me) after she does, I've somehow managed to miss the majority of her flight towards Matthews - and her literally cratering the sidewalk in front of this place - but holy poo poo the end of her charge is amazing. It's actually kinda loving scary, to tell you the truth. As in, I'm not sure how strong she is exactly - even after I've just directly witnessed her cause a minor seismic event via sinking her arm into the loving earth like it was nothing. And my Mutation involves understanding precisely how powers work when I watch them. So yeah... officially never, ever pissing her off.

She utters some growly bit about protecting a weak human like him from fire ants, and I know I've got my chance. "Fire ants?" I call, retrieving a cryogrenade from my trenchcoat. "Don't worry, I got this!" Then I fling the grenade, watching it sail through the air perfectly, landing right between them. Instead of exploding when it goes off a fraction of a second after it lands, it doesn't explode, since that's what a regular grenade does. Instead it flash-freezes a thirty foot diameter circle or so, except for the area behind her Vermillion Dragon was blocking - who's totally fine by the way, since she'd probably have to eat one of my grenades for them to actually hurt her. Matthews, though, I've put on ice for a little bit. "Whoops."

<Rauri> Unleash Your Powers
<Rauri> !r 2d6+1
<Krysmbot> Rauri, 6+1 = 7
Overcoming an obstacle, namely Agent Matthews, in either a temporary or unstable fashion.

Rauri fucked around with this message at 09:56 on Mar 4, 2016

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

Freak -1 | Danger +1 | Savior 0 | Superior 0 | Mundane +3
Potential 2/5 | Conditions: | The Coffee Shop of Doom

"Hey, now that is not very-" I said, but the coach didn't listen to the coffee slinger this time. "Oh come on that is bullshit! She is as much a person as anyone. Don't liste-" She wasn't listening, and then she runs out the door. Oh. poo poo. "Shodan-" I said looking at the very dangerously smart goth, "-you don't think she will hur-" She isn't listening to me either god drat it. "Oh god drat it. " I said out loud and the called after Shodan as she ran out.

"You go get them you Gothic Avenger!" I call after her not really sure what else to do. Not in costume, my options were limited, so instead I bolted toward my room, or at least MY access to my room. You see, I worry about my molecular cohesion and have a very real worry that one day, randomly all my atoms will decide to explode going at the speed of light in all directions. Either way, there was a frame to keep me there while I slept.

Walking down the hall toward the employee parking, I walk through a wall into my storage room and start changing quickly, it takes me a few minutes, most of it is stripping to my boxers and then walking into my cohesion frame were my suit lies. Thankfully, I can walk into my outfit and instantly fill the space that was unoccupied. The stand was built by me to do exactly that. I wasn't sure how I figured all this poo poo out, but it seemed to come more naturally to me than I expected.

Instantly dressed, I turned off the machine and landed on the floor. Normally I turned it so I could "lay down" in the magnetic field, but when I was out of the outfit,it stood up and stared into space, my locker and "normal belongings" were behind the machine, completely inaccessible to anyone but me. Either way, It was time for The Fission to make sure that no one got hurt.

Freak -1 | Danger +1 | Savior +3 | Superior 0 | Mundane 0 Masked
Potential 2/5 | Conditions: | The Perilous Outside

Not taking any chances, I start running through walls and people toward the outside, taking the direct route, though some of the people were disturbed when I ran through, them that didn't matter. From my understanding it was rather electrifying, and kind of disturbing like you weren't you for a moment. I tried not to do it but even by accident Vermillion could hurt someone.

I arrive to see the scene before me, "What is going on here?" I ask in my robotic voice

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Potential: 2/5 | Conditions: Guilty | Location: Ms. Doring's office

"Uh huh. I'll give you that I hosed up not backing up Bravura. I got caught up in the moment. But, really now? You're just going to ignore Avatar attacked first just so you can bad-talk me because I tried to defuse the situation, is that it? Biased, are we? Look, I have a lot of people breathing down my neck, including my own family, and I have to try and be rational. Sometimes, this means taking a neutral stance. Our job as heroes is to end fights, not start new ones, don't forget. But whatever, it's become apparent this conversation is useless. Anyway... goddamn, you're right. Why did she take an office so far away from all of our rooms? Jeez...."

Looking around as we walk, I notice just how many rooms there seem to be. Offices, it seems? But a lot of them are empty. Is Ms. Doring intending to expand the Valkyries, I wonder? Or perhaps even try to market us.

... I don't wanna end up in an advertisement clip. Please don't.

When we finally arrive in front of Ms. Doring's office, one person sitting in the waiting are immediately sticks out to me.

MomwhyareyouhererightnowIdon'tneedevenmoreofthiscrap.

Yami Fenrir fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Mar 9, 2016

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

Freak: 1| Danger: -1| Savior: +1 | Superior: +2 | Mundane: 0

"GEMM, GEMM, GEMM. No doesn't ring any bells for me." I replied. Jewels might know more but she's understandably close mouthed about her time. Can't say I blame her. "Misfits though that rings a bell from somewhere." I frowned thoughtfully. I'd heard that name somewhere but where? It was definitely bugging me. "Can't quite place where though." I shrugged. "If I remember i'll get back to you." When she mentioned about someone coming in I stood stock still for a moment. I don't want to lie to my roommate but at the same time I have a job to do. I mean I didn't think Avatar would do anything to deliberately hurt anyone but with all that alien tech who knows what she might do to hurt someone. "Umm no why would you think someone was in the room?" I said trying to sound innocent and not too defensive. "I certainly didn't hear anyone."

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

I sip my teaa quietly. "Please," I tell Gabi. "Maybe I'm chasing phantoms, but....it feels important." I let out a breath and uncurl my legs. "I could just be grasping at straws, trying to prove myself." I walk over to the trash to clean out my tea bag and such. "Could have been bad dreams. That was an intense...mission?" Mission? I go on missions now? I know that seems right, even if the word strike me as wrong. "What the hell was up with Avatar?" I ask. "And Sylphid totally lost control," I add, making a face. "Going to get us all arrested before we can do any good."

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.

Freak +2 | Danger +2 | Savior +1 | Superior 0 | Mundane -1
Potential: 0/5 | Conditions: Afraid

I'm completely silent as we keep walking, freezing up like I've seen a ghost. Which... I might have. This is a hallucination, right? It has to be, why is nobody else reacting? I don't respond to Sylphid's criticism or Jewels' support, just watching the Singularity do what... she's... doing, petrified. Petrified because a part of me wants it.
Taking the label change

I only snap back to reality when adults start 'sssh'ing us, and I notice the... I hesitate to call them trophies, but memorials that Ms. Doring has on the walls leading to her office. Signs of all the villains she's beaten, all the deeds she's done; signs that she's a real hero, not just someone trying to be...

thejoshie
May 3, 2013
Dragon

Coach, as you proceed to rip out the concrete from in front of him, stumbles backwards and fall on his rear end. This makes the urine stain visible to all, completing his utter humiliation. His face is a mask of terror, as you unleash a rage even he hasn't seen before. NOONE has, really. Sure, your peers has heard of the destruction you can cause, but now they saw it first hand. And they are terrified. Some runs away to find supervisors. Some hide back into the cafe. Others are stunned into inaction, standing a few feet away, looking at you with frightened, judgmental eyes

"...oh my God, did you see that!?"

"She ripped that sidewalk like it was nothing!"

"...this is why I don't want to hang around her! Look how easily she could kill me!"

The voices continue from all directions as people both crowd around and keep their distance! They are obviously terrified of you, seeing you as a terrifying beast rather than a person, and can you blame them after the stunt you pulled?

((Take Insecure))

How do you handle this? Every eye is on you!

Shodan

The coach is on the ground, scooting back on his rear end as he scrambles to get away from the fruits of his jerkness... But of course, Shodan, you can't have that. He insulted your friend. Thus, when Coach turns to leave or cry or, whatever, you nail him with the Cryo Grenade and it's a success!, the air freezing around him from the ground up! But as he freezes, his eyes meets yours and you see a pained expression. As he is flash frozen in place, he manages to squeeze off a "...h-how could you? I was on your side! I defended yo-"

Frozen.

He has a point. You have a knack of seeing through bullshit and this guy was not bullshitting when he was praising you. Sure, he deserved what he got... but this is the proverbial 'knife in the back' moment. And he is not going to be frozen forever. Coach is influential. He will spread things. And after this fiasco, will Ms. Doring even hear your or Dragon's side?

((You also take insecure. I spent influence to take -2 off your roll to make it below 6))

How do you feel about all this? And how do you help Dragon, as she has now become the center of... unhealthy attention?

Fission

You see all this. Plus the crowd. Plus the frozen teacher. Looks like Dragon and Shodan looks down in the dumps. Again. How do you cheer them up? What do you do about the crowd?

Sylphid, Avatar and Jewels

Well look at that! Anna Veras, the original Sylphid... well she was Sylphid befor Carolin, anyway! She is sitting in one of the cushy chairs infront of the oak doors of Doring's study/office, chatting with Cheryl, Doring's secretary, formerly known as World War Two heroine, Greased Lightning. Both her and Doring, for different reasons, have enhanced metabolisms which significantly slowed their aging.

Anna head turns sharply towards the three of you, and she stands as you all approach. Her eyes lock on to you, Sylphid, almost immediately. Has she heard about last night?

"Sylphid..." She hesitates, "...I was asked to come here. Are you..."

"Ms. Doring is waiting for you, Sylphid. Go on in. You two, wait here. Ms. Veras, Ms. Doring will see you soon, after she had talked to her students."

Cheryl pushed a button and after a low buzzing sound, the doors swing open. Sylphid, as you walk past your mom, you can feel her eyes burning into you. Soon, the doors closes behind you.

So, you two are outside in the waiting area. With Slyphid's mom. Silence follows as a conversation tries to start... but refuses to start. It finally does, after she adjusts her glasses. "So... I'm Ms. Veras. I'm Sylp-Carolin's mother. You two must be her teammates?"

She steps forward a bit, just inches from your personal space, her hands clinchhing each other tightly. "...so, uhm... how is she doing? Good?"

Sylphid

You are now in the office of Headmistress Doring. Liberty Lass herself. Heroine of World War 2. The woman who has punched Hitler himself. The founder of Team Valkyrie. Thw woman who intrusted her founding dream onto our shoulders. Now, I know this isn't your first time here, but what is your thoughts on it. What stands out? How are you feeling? Afraid? Nervous?

Anywho, Ms. Doring is sitting (as if she had a choice) behind her desk, looking at her desk, reading some papers. Without looking up...

"So, Ms. Veras, what happened out there."

She looks up at you, her face unreadable as she awaits your answer. What do you say? How do you say it?

Rauri
Jan 13, 2008

Fre: +1 | Dan: 0 | Sav: -1 | Sup: +3 | Mun: 0
Potential: 2/5 | Conditions: Insecure | Location: Near a frozen gym coach

I don't know what's wrong with me - I just chucked a grenade at a teacher, and yet I actually feel kinda bad about it. I mean, having an adult stick up for me is rare, having teammates like me is unusual, it makes sense that I'd have to choose between them - because of course I'm not allowed to actually get along with others. A frozen Coach Matthews stares at me accusatorily, and I'm sure that not only can I kiss the computer lab goodbye, that I'm probably facing weeks of detention at best, maybe even expulsion, and all for doing what I still think was the 'right thing'. Vermilion gets treated like poo poo from what I've observed, and even after I bombed that guy it's still happening.

There's a crowd around us, but not one soul cares about what I did - they're too busy murmuring about VD, seemingly doing their best to make her feel worse. gently caress that - not letting her suffer steal my reputation. Fission arrives, but all I can do now is hope that her helmet blocks out what I'm about to do. I look sympathetically at her, at least, in case that matters at all.

Reaching my hands into some exterior pockets, I'm approaching the crowd with a triumphant grin on my face - a surefire sign that things are about to go terribly for someone(s) other than me. Pulling my goggles on right quick, since I'm gonna need 'em, I address my audience - the one made up of my classmates, the same fuckers intent on tormenting Vermilion. "Oh what, you see her and forget about the Mad Scientist?! I'm not putting up with that." Flinging the devices I'd snagged towards them, I hope they enjoy the fireworks... since that's more or less what I threw into the crowd, if elaborate flashbangs count as fireworks.

<Rauri> Are our classmates watching closely?
<Rauri> !r 2d6+3
<Krysmbot> Rauri, 5+3 = 8
You get an opportunity, you confuse them for some time.

Bet they think they're actually grenades, and not some harmless pranks I engineered after too much coffee and in the midst of a Harry Potter reread. Still providing a chance for Vermilion to get away, and I bet they'll all hate me waaay more than her after this, and at least that's fairer. Right before they go off and deafen us for a bit, I call out to her "I can handle this if you wanna leave, Vee?"

Rauri fucked around with this message at 11:52 on Mar 6, 2016

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

I try not to look at my mother as I walk past. I really didn't need this right now. She's here to tell me how I should have things differently, how I hosed up and aaaaaargh. Stop seeing my as only your replacement mom! See me as your daughter again, please!

Please...

Yeah, I'm fairly sure she knows. She probably asked Clara to keep tabs on me. It's almost impossible to keep anything from a sylphid, especially if outside. You'd need specialized wards to block out their influence. And Clara, knowing her, told her everything. In the short form, of course. Because it's Clara and she's lazy.

"Quite frankly? A disaster. We won the battle but lost the war, so they say. Allow me to elaborate." Sylphid starts, sighing with the emotions clearly noticeable behind it.

"The fight went well enough, I suppose. Mostly due to our overwhelming numbers. It did, however, go belly up after Bravura hit Sciromancer in the eye, likely accidentally. Sciromancer ripped apart some of the roof of the factory. Vermillion Dragon, who had, who had been circling overhead during this time, decided this one hit somehow meant we were clearly trying to kill Sciromancer, which was obviously not true. Regardless, she yelled at Bravura before smashing the roof even more and dropping everyone into the building."

Sylphid takes a moment to catch her breath and collect her thoughts.

"I should probably also mention both Avatar and Shodan ran off without informing anyone on the team beforehand. So when we came crashing down, we ran into some CASTLE operatives, lead by someone named Agent Foster, claiming to be here on the orders of Director Storm. They were offering to show identification, so I trusted them. Unfortunately, this Mr. Foster almost immediately bad-talked our team, starting with Shodan, which responded with insults and threatening the operatives with some sort of tech I was unable to identify, and almost immediately afterwards, Avatar, who had pretty much completely vanished beforehand, appears out of nowhere, and staring at him in a pretty unhinged way, just charges at him like some sort of berserker and punches him. She claimed he was a 'villain', but provided literally zero proof, and really it looked a lot like she wasn't in control of herself at the time. At which point he reveals CASTLE has access to Anti-Avatar EMP grenades."

Once more, she pauses.

"I tried to step in both diplomatically and literally, aiming to defuse the situation. But really, it seems I have just made it worse. It just ended up in, pardon my language, a shitstorm of insults and threats. Agent Foster then departed, noting his anger he was at our team."

Sylphid closes her eyes for a moment, before continuing.

"Right, you probably want individual assessments as well. I didn't quite manage to take note of what everyone did during the mission, but here goes, in no particular order..."

quote:

Jewels: Her combat performance is as good as you'd expect it to be, but it's very clear she's extremely biased against the government, to the point where it may influence her decisions in a really bad way.
Shodan: Ran off almost immediately without telling anyone, as well as having essentially started the insult volley with CASTLE. It appears she played a crucial roles in disabling Sciromancer's tech, however. It malfunctioned suddenly in the middle of the fight, which likely was hear doing.
Fission: Not much to say. Combat performance is average, but it appears she too has issues with the government. She too immediately started exchanging unpleasantries with CASTLE.
Vermillion: Showed up late to the fight, essentially attacked without regard of her teammates, but at the very least she followed my directive to catch Sciromancer who had been spiraling out of control afterwards.
Bravura: Both performance and behavior were excellent. However, seeing the likely accidental eye-shot, perhaps we should revision the types of ammunition used in fights.
Seraphim: A little passive during the fight, but she her behavior was okay until Agent Foster threw is grenade at Avatar at which point she joined in the verbal fight.
Avatar: I'm extremely worried about her at the moment. Not only did she run off for a reason still unknown to me, she reappeared without a word, attacking the CASTLE operatives on only the basis of accusing him of being a villain without providing any proof at all. I fear she may not be in full control of herself. Needless to say, I have many doubts of placing such a possible danger to everyone around her on this team.

Sylphid visibly starts tearing up as she comes to her own assessment of herself.

"As for me? ... I'm sorry, Ms. Doring. I failed horribly. I wasn't able to stop any of this. Not only did most of this happen too suddenly for me to stop, it seems the team doesn't trust me as a leader, much less so after I tried to stop the hostilities with CASTLE. And quite frankly... I'm not sure I'm the right person for this position. A lot of the team didn't seem to trust me from the start, and it's probably gotten worse now. I... I have no delusions that I'm anywhere near as good as a hero or leader as my predecessors. You... don't have to place me in this position because of my family."

Sylphid takes a deep breath.

"If you want my honest opinion, Ms Doring, there are simply too many people which have problems with authorities on this team. Repairing the reputation of metahumans is going to be impossible if the team is all too happy to burn every bridge with them. But that's not all. I think the team, as it is, is almost incapable of functioning as such. I would advise team-building exercises of some kind."

Visibly shaken from recalling her apparent failures, she finally comes to an end. "... Is that all you wanted to know?"

It was clear that Carolin didn't want to go outside and face her mother right now.

Yami Fenrir fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Mar 9, 2016

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.

"I'm just saying you could have done the same thing by moving to protect Avatar from Foster instead of Foster from Avatar. You'd be between them either way, but the difference means a lot." The conversation gets cut a bit short when we finally arrive and Sylphid is directed into Ms. Doring's office. Wait, why did she bother to call us if we weren't going to be going inside with her! I didn't come here to stand around outside the door. I glare moodily at the door for a moment, before the former Sylphid finally breaks the silence.

"Yeah, I'm Jewels, this is Avatar." Sylphid told me all about her powers and stuff, but its supposed to be a secret, so I should pretend I don't know about that to her mom, yeah. And she's asking us how 'Caroline' is doing. Uuuugh. "Yeah, she's doing pretty good..." What? Trying to get her in trouble with Doring by being riled up is one thing, but I'm not about to sell her out to her mom. Besides, old Sylphid is obviously looking for someone to compliment her daughter. "She could work on the politics side of things, but the mission went well. Aside from Vermillion being kind of trigger happy, but I don't think anyone could have stopped that. She's not you yet, but she'll get there."

<godfish> comfort Mrs. Veras
<godfish> !r 2d6-1
<Krysmbot> godfish, 9-1 = 8
this roll was supposed to fail.

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

Freak: 1| Danger: -1| Savior: +1 | Superior: +2 | Mundane: 0

"With Avatar who knows. I mean how human is she still anyway?" I said rhetorically "I don't mean that as an insult it's just all that alien tech can't be healthy...." I trailed off. Healthy, healthy, healthy. Hang on that's it! I know how I can get the blood sample. The medical labs took samples of our blood for our medical records. You can bet I'll find some of Avatars blood there. That should do to satisfy Archangel. I didn't like having to spy on her like this but this way she'd never even know. Of course then I had to figure out how to get into the medical storage and find her blood. But at least it was a plan. I could almost kiss Gwen for giving me the idea but that would just be weird with the two of us being roommates and all.

"So" I said feeling much more brightly now I had a plan and a hot tea waking me up " what do you have planned for today?" I asked. Hoping she didn't notice I'd changed the subject from her original question about our nocturnal visitor.

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

"I feel bad for her," I answer, finishing off my tea. "Mmmmm," I ponders. "Usual. Classes, some training after, then homework."

Gabi's looking at me in a super weird way. "What?" I ask, wiping at my face with a napkin. "What!? Crap, you've got an idea again, don't you?"

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

Freak -1 | Danger +1 | Savior +3 | Superior 0 | Mundane 0 Masked
Potential 2/5 | Conditions: | The Perilous Outside

"No." I said holding the grenades in my hand. I had to run and step through Shodan herself to catch them, but it was worth it. My hand started cycling through them and each one fell into pieces on the ground, the powder blowing away in the sand. My robotic voice was not a thing that could be laced in anger, but at least my real one was. "You think this will help Vermillion? Scaring people? They might have judged her and might be scared of her, but that is something that is over come through knowledge, not just loving with them." I said strongly, moving over to Shodan.

"You think the coach is going to let up any at all? No. He is going to double down, you might be a genius, and you might be amazing at your toys and gadets, but this won't solve any problems at all." I turn to the crowd and wave them, "Move on, do you want to be looked at like that? I don't think so. She is just different, we all are. But she is here to help and save you, that is what you all should remember. She was born like this, and it is who she is." I hope my speech would get the crowd to disperse, but the fact that I had saved them was something that could have influenced their opinion.

"I've been in this shell to long to let it happen again." I said to myself. Looking at the crowd, standing between Shodan and Vermillion and them.

Defending the Civilians against the attack
6+3: 11 [2d6=4, 4]
-2 to Shodan's Roll

Comfort Verimillion
2d6+0: 10 [2d6=5, 5]

+1 team

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Potential: 0/5 | Conditions: Insecure | Location: Near Frozen Piss Coach

I thought it would be over when I saw Coach fall over and piss himself, but then I hear everyone screaming and it all comes back to me, how terrible this was, how much of a monster I was, why everyone stared at me, why it was so weird that I got treated normal for coffee. I was starting to hyperventilate - I could feel a panic attack coming on, as I watched SHODAN's grenade go off and I just I don't understand it at all. I'm happy on one hand that she'd support me, that she'd get so mad over how he'd treat me, but it wasn't right to hit someone when they were down but I just... I was overloaded, and so many things were happening...

But I knew one thing at least, as she started to throw her things as the ones screaming and running from me - they shouldn't be hurt for being scared, and I moved quickly to block as many of the grenades as i could with my wingspan, "You can't just hurt these people! They didn't do anything wrong!" Fission comes from nowhere and is helping with it at least, while supporting me at the same time. I didn't talk with Fission too often, but at least she was helping, and I wasn't really mad at SHODAN, but it just hurt a little that she'd think I'd want this.

Defend civvies
19:17 KittyEmpress !r 2d6+1
19:17 Krysmbot KittyEmpress, 8+1 = 9
you expose yourself to cost,
retribution, or judgment.

thejoshie
May 3, 2013
Sylphid

Ms. Doring listens to you as you make your full, heavily detailed report. She ‘hmms’ here and there. When you finish, she stays silent before re-opening her eyes. “…Ms. Veras, you need to calm down. Sometimes things like this happens. Things will spiral out of control. Things will go FUBAR. The reason I made you a leader, is because I trust you to keep things in order. Your family was a factor, yes, but it was not THE factor. I stick to my decision, you will maintain you leadership status. I’m quite sure you did your best, and in time and with experience, you’ll get better.”

She leans back in her wheel chair. “The fault lies with me. Commanding seven other meta-humans is quite the task… which is why I’m splitting the teams. You lead one…”

She turns towards the window. “And based on your evaluation, I have a good idea who will lead the second... I just need a second opinion. I have made new room assignments based on the new teams.”

She turns around and reaches into a drawer to pull out a manilla folder. “Here is the roster of your new team. Avatar, Jewels and Shodan. And yes, I fully believe you can lead them. They are good people. They just need a light to show them the way. You can do this. Have confidence.”

She pushes a button. “Alright, send them in. And page Shodan to come as well.”

Jewels and Avatar

“…wait… she’s not political!? There were plenty of times when I had to talk down a villian and converse with the media! That won’t do at all, I need to talk to her about that! There is no place for weakness when it comes to being Sylphid… Blue Empress taught me that…”

“Ms. Doring will see you two now.” Cheryl interjects, the doors opening.

What do you two think of her office. Is there anything you want to say to Ms. Doring before she starts?

Shodan, Dragon and Fission

Well, Shodan your flash Grenades are stopped by the combined efforts of both Fission and Dragon. The light show, combined with the extra theatrics of your teammates blocking your ‘grenades’ causes people to run away in greater fear. They really think they are real grenades, which was a part of your plan. That backfired.

“Enough!”

A male adult pushes his way through the crowd. Some or all of you may remember/know him as Mark Randolph. He teaches Metahuman History. “…what the… Okay Shodan, what’s your damage that has you using live ordinance out here!? Are you insane!? Do you want to be grounded till next Easter!? Ms. Doring is going to have kittens…”

”Will Shodan, please report to Ms. Doring’s office! Repeat…”

He rubs his head, looking at Fission, then a lingering look at Dragon. “…you know what, everyone… just get inside before you cause any more trouble... Shodan… you’re in enough trouble. Just answer the summons.”

As you return, Shodan, you make a discovery: The phone! You left it on the table… and now it’s gone!

Dragon and Fission
Mr. Randolph looks at the frozen man in front of him. “…why did Shodan feel that it was an awesome idea to freeze a teacher… and why the heck did she throw grenades at a crowd of people?”

He turns to the two of you.

Btw, how do you know this guy? What is it about him that makes you comfortable? Uneasy?

Seraphim and Bravera

Your conversation is interrupted by a knock on the door. Opening the door you see a short, energetic girl with red dyed hair tied into duel ponytails. She’s wearing a shirt with Japanese writing and jeans that are slightly ripped.

You two know her as Sarah McMillian, known more generally as ‘Warp’. She’s a b-lister, being trained to be a replacement in case one of you were injured or unable to continue.

“Hey, Gabi, Gwen. I was sent by Mrs. Louis. She told me that Ms. Doring wanted you, Gwen, to meet with her in the Med Wing…”

She peeks down both sides of the hallway. “…the ‘other’ Med wing. You know… under the school.”

She claps her hands together. “Right! Bye!”

And ‘BAMF!’ She disappears.

Five minutes later… you both are at the medical wing. What is it about this wing that stands out? Anywho, time to see the Psychiatrist. Have either of you talked to her before? If so, about what? And what is it about her that makes you… uneasy?

“Alright, Ms. Anderson, have a seat at the bed. Lay down, if it makes you feel better. Ms. Greene, you can make yourself busy here, as long as you don’t interfere.”

She walks to her desk, sits down and takes out a notepad. “…now, Ms. Anderson… how was your sleep last night. Was it restful? Did you have any difficulty entering sleep? How ‘anxious’ were you?”

thejoshie fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Mar 8, 2016

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Potential: 2/5 | Conditions: Guilty | Location: Sciromancer's Lab

"Please, feel free to call me Carolin. I... feel weird being addressed by family name."

Sylphid replies as she gets up from her chair.

"Thank you, Ms. Doring. Your words really mean a lot to me right now. I'll keep doing the best i can. I hope you're right and I'm just overwhelmed...Anyway, I'll see myself out. ... Thanks for hearing me out."

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.

Freak +2 | Danger +2 | Savior +1 | Superior 0 | Mundane -1
Potential: 0+1/5 | Conditions: Afraid

I'm not enough of an rear end in a top hat to talk poo poo about Sylphid to her own mother when she's not around... besides, whether or not she's talking poo poo about me to Ms. Doring, I'm not going to be like that. Hell, it might even make me look better compared to her! Plus, talking about someone else means not focusing on what I saw Singularity do, and what I want to do.

"Yeah... she's fine. Just under pressure. Trying too hard to be perfect, stuff like that," I say as I get up. "Don't worry about it."

[1:40pm] Nown: Comfort Ms. Veras
[1:40pm] Nown: !roll 2d6-1
[1:40pm] Krysmbot: Nown, 5-1 = 4
Marking Potential

Taking a deep breath, I head into Miss Doring's office. She'll understand, I'm sure of it. She'll know that there's right and there's wrong and sometimes you have to do the right thing even if it's not what's 'correct'. But I don't speak first, once I've taken a seat. Whatever Miss Doring needs to say should probably be said first, right?

Rauri
Jan 13, 2008

Fre: +1 | Dan: 0 | Sav: -1 | Sup: +3 | Mun: 0
Potential: 2/5 | Conditions: Insecure

It's kinda funny - I betrayed Coach Matthews a little bit, and so I guess it's my turn to know the fun that is being massively let down. Both Vermillion Dragon and Fission are loving dead to me. I was willing to tank all the hate-aggro so people would quit mistreating Vermillion... and rather than appreciate it, she INSTANTLY sides with them, trying to make me out to be the bad guy. Fission's done the same, but she made sure to wreck those flashbangs I threw on top of it. Do you know how long those take me to make? I don't own a factory, I can't go to Wal-Mart and buy a loving baker's dozen assorted grenades - I have to build them all by hand, and it takes loving forever.

Glaring at the pair of them, the Coach, the students running from me (as if I'd actually hurt them - do you know how difficult it is to calibrate flashbangs to incapacitate without causing any lasting harm?) I'm about to lose my poo poo at all of them. I was doing the right thing, and not only did none of them care, they all instantly sided against me. Not one person is on my team here. My Intuitive Analysis is, usefully enough, providing me with exactly what I could say to be the most hurtful to everyone here. "You three..."

I don't bother with it though, and lapse into silence. Instead, with one last furious glance from person to person, I shove my hands into my coat pockets and head back into the foodcourt. I'm so mad I nearly trip on the crater that VD put into the ground, though - no one's yelling at her about that, guess collateral damage only matters when I do it. This is such bullshit.

It'd been my intent to grab the cellphone that I'd liberated from Foster off the table I left it on, but someone else has copied me and stolen that phone. Probably Coffee Kid. So, hooray, a valuable lead and source of data - and I just threw it away. In order to go be "nice" to people. To try and be a "friend." It's bullshit, and I should've remembered - other people end up with friends, not me, and you can loving drat well bet I am not going to make a mistake like this again.

If there even is an again I remember, walking through the suddenly dismal and oppressive halls of the school, glowering at anyone that dares meet my gaze. Since I just froze a teacher and all, it's probably a given that I'm about to be expelled. So, hooray, I just hosed up my whole life, and I didn't even get anything out of it.

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

"Hey Sarah," I say, getting my hair back in a simple band and my shoes on. "Sure, I..." I jolt and twitch when she disappears. "drat," I mutter to Gabi. "Still gets me."

I hustle down the medical wing in about five minutes. I've been in hospitals before. A bunch, after my accident, and...this place is different. It's just a little too slick. Hospitals always have that layer of institutional grime on them. Not literally, but you can see that it's not as strictly shiny as it once was. The dings in thew all, the wear patterns on the floor. All the little things the staff did to make it functional, with the printout signs and the labels over things saying 'DO NOT USE' or whatever, because the thing it used to connect to is long gone.

The medical wing is the opposite. It's super sleek and shiny as if itw ere just out of the wrapping. There's screens mounted flush in the walls and none of the visible wires you'd usually see. Like something from a movie.

Which makes it doubly weird that I'm getting shuttled over by the psychiatrist to lie down on the bed. I'm surprised she doesn't speak with a German accent. Or have a beard.

"I...of course it was," I answer once I've laid down, my hands laced together on my stomach. "I was incredibly tired. We were out in the middle of the night, you know," I say, a slightly smug tone in my voice.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.

Potential: 1/5 | Conditions: None

Uh.... crap, she wasn't supposed to take it like that! "No, I mean, she just needs..." Oh forget it. Avatar basically says what I was going for, and we're getting called into the office. If she reacted that badly to what I said the first time I don't think I'm going to be able to make it any better. I head into the office with Avatar, sighing slightly. I take a seat, looking intently at Ms. Doring and trying to read the situation. What kind of mood was she in, and how would I be able to get the leader position?

<godfish> pierce doring's mask (frustrate sylphid)
<godfish> !r 2d6
<Krysmbot> godfish, 5 = 5
<godfish> thereeeee we go
Potential get

thejoshie
May 3, 2013
Sylphid

“Okay, Carolin… but it’ll be ‘Ms. Veras’ in front of the others. Must stay professional if you want to be treated as one.” She rolled in front of her desk, holding up a hand. “And please stay. I want to address you all as a team.”

As you walk past Mrs. Veras and past the doors, you hear a hushed ‘Oh my God, it’s worse than I thought…” before the door closed.

So now you are in the office, where you take your seat. You glanced to your left and you expected to see jewels.

You see Singularity.

“…you really should’ve told the truth. Everyone lies. You know that more than anyone… the lies people told you because they thought you were a china doll… afraid that you would shatter to a million pieces. It’s an insult really.”

She walks infront of you and stoops down. “…the truth will set you free… that’s what your human bible says, right? Thus, only the enslaved lies.”

She stood up. “…and that what you are! Enslaved. By caring. By emotions. Let go, Amy! Speak your mind! That is true strength! You should’ve spoke out to just how Sylphid failed you!”

She walks around to Jewel. “…at this rate, you’ll never win her affection.”

…and she was gone as soon as Jewels body blocked your line of sight.

(-1 Savior; +1 Superior if you choose not to reject this view)

Shodan

As you approach the office of Ms. Doring, you see a woman standing in front of the door, pacing it. As you get closer, you see an ‘odd’ resemblance. Her eyes. They look just like Sylphid’s.

Her mom?

“…ah! You must be Shoda… oh, right, that’s your code name! What’s your name again… Mirac…”

“REFERRING TO HER AS ‘SHODAN’ WILL BE JUST FINE!” Cheryl stepped in there. “Ms. Doring don’t mind Shodan being referred to by codename.”

“Oh, right! Less names to remember then!” She adjusted her glasses. “Anyway, I’m Anna Veras, Carolin’s mother. I was just curious as to your opinion on my daughters performance to date?”

Gwen Anderson

Mrs. Louis spoke with a French accent, actually, but whose to judge?

Anyway, she scribbles something on her notepad, before flipping several pages. “Yes, I heard! Crazy night for all involved. Sciromancer captured, Castle getting into all your faces… and you, making an amazing shot! Right into Sciromancer’s eye!”

Mrs. Louis hesitated there, looking over at you. She then clicked her tounge and continued. “…and from what I hear from you, you lost no sleep over that. He's a villain first, human being second? Right?"

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

"Ah, sorry about that. I thought you wanted to speak with the other two--"

Sylphid gets interrupted by Cheryl's hasty interruption.

"Three, I suppose... in private."

... Secretly, Sylphid was glad to stay in here for longer. She also considered bailing through the window after all was done, simply because she was aware at how likely it is her mother asked for her performance and oh dear...

And with this, the others arrive. Hmm. I wonder how I could get Avatar to actually listen to what I say...

Pierce the Mask (How can I gain Influence on Avatar): 2d6+2 6 (Another +1 from having Influence over Avatar) How would I gain Influence on you (again)?

Yami Fenrir fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Mar 9, 2016

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.

Freak +2 | Danger +2 | Savior 0 | Superior +1 | Mundane -1
Potential: 1/5 | Conditions: Afraid

Another line from Singularity that cuts to the bone - she's right, again. I tried to be nice, but... that's just what other people did to me when they tiptoed around the truth, all patronizing, handling things with kids' gloves out of fear that she'd break under a few words! I clench my fists as Singularity disappears, and look over at Sylphid who... was already looking at me.
Accepting Label Shifts

What does she want? Someone weak to boss around and fawn over her leadership, soothe her ego and tell her she's right? Because she sure won't find that in me, especially since she hasn't earned anything of the sort.
If she wants (more) Influence on Avatar, she needs to prove that Avatar should respect her.

Gritting my teeth, I stare straight ahead, at Miss Doring. Is she going to speak up soon? Or is she waiting for us to make the first move? Fine. Fine, I'll make it. I'll stop lying, I'll tell the truth, just like Singularity says, just like she's right about!

"I did nothing wrong, Miss Doring. I attempted to subdue a supervillain I encountered while searching the labs for anyone else - since the other Valkyries were already beating the Sciromancer, but Sylphid defended him, letting him get away with the Sciromancer too." There. Said it. I sit with my arms folded, glowering, and I hear the Myriad's applause in my inner ear.

Rauri
Jan 13, 2008

Ignore this post.

Rauri fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Mar 11, 2016

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Potential: 0/5 | Conditions: Insecure | Location: The Cage

I feel like poo poo with how Shodan reacted, I know she isn't a bad person and she's just trying to help, but sometime the way people try to help are just as bad. I don't even try to stop her though, I don't say anything to Fission besides frowning towards her as I flapped my wings a few times, lifting myself into the air as I flew back towards the building we were housed in. I knew I was going to get yelled at soon, I knew I'd just pushed away someone I thought I was getting closer to, and i just kind of wanted to be alone. So I went to the one place that I knew I could be alone - my room. No one ever visited me - I didn't have any furniture even, besides my bedframe and a mattress. I didn't even have books or anything - I couldn't read with my claws, and anything technological just cracked, so I didn't have a phone.

It was just a quiet place for me to sit alone. I hated it most of the time. But it's where I couldn't mess anything up. Maybe I deserved it.

thejoshie
May 3, 2013
Sylphid, Avatar, Jewels &Shodan

As the four of you settle down, Ms. Doring situates her self in front of you in plain view in front of her desk, setting the wheels of her chair into lock. She then speaks...

"I did nothing wrong, Miss Doring. I attempted to subdue a supervillain I encountered while searching the labs for anyone else - since the other Valkyries were already beating the Sciromancer, but Sylphid defended him, letting him get away with the Sciromancer too."

Or tried to. Avatar cuts in before she had a chance to say anything. She lifted up a hand to stop any more words to come up. "...the purpose of this get together is not a rebuke. These past two battles are the first of many. I let me emphasis 'first'. Many misjudgements were made, but in the midst of those misjudgments do we gain experience to do better next time."

She looks at you, Avatar, for a second, before adding, "I know all about the Archivist and what he did, Avatar. In my books, he's scum. But let this be a lesson to you for next time: Look before you leap. I assigned a leader not as a luxury, but as guidance. Organization. And most importantly, co-ordination. By attacking that man without consulting anyone, you ended up attacking an official of CASTLE. You didn't just make yourself look bad... you made your team look bad. No more lone wolf. Sylphid talks, you listen. You have a better idea, don't keep it to yourself."

Ms. Doring leans back into her chair, causing the leather backing to streach with a quiet groan. "If you had waitied, you would've found out that he was a member of CASTLE's work release program. Archivist was on parole. He was being given a second chance. Or rather... he had an opportunity to. Women, something happened shortly after your return. I was only made aware of it just a few hours ago."

Hesitation. "...I'm just going to go out and say it. First, Sciromancer escaped. Second, Archivist... died during the escape attempt. His body was confirmed dead. It occurred when they treated Sciromancer's eye injury suffered during his battle with you all. They tried to separate him from his suit... but the thing was booby trapped. He somehow regained control of it and managed to blast his way out of the hospital. The details are sketchy, and some believe he had inside help... but one thing was clear. Archivist was blasted by him. He didn't live through it."

((Archivist... dead!? But... he had information you needed, didn't he Avatar? How do ypou feel about this? Surely there's a plan B, right?))

She released the wheel brakes and rolled behind her desk. "I'm not waiting for Castle's permission... and I'm sure none of you are willing to either. We're going after him. We're taking him down. More specifically, the four of you."

"The team is going to be split into two teams of four. The first team, Blue Strike Force, will belong to you Sylphid. The second will be determined later. I did consider you for leadership, Jewels, but... you're needed here for parity and balance." Ms. Doring shuffles some papers. "Blue Strike Force is going to need some muscle and you have that in spades... and also there is a reason why I want Dragon on the other team. You, Avatar, have abilities to fill in gaps as the need calls for it. And you, Shodan... well, lets just say that you are more than capable of handling yourself."

Ms. Doring caught herself, but she definitely picked up on your bad mood when she looked you in the eye.

"Now, with that being said..." Ms. Doring leans back, almost as if she is preparing for an incoming storm. "...you all will have new room assignments. You may not be aware of this, but I had new rooms made recently. Each of you will double up in these rooms. The hallway they are located in has a shower, lounge and quick access to the Warroom, Hangar bay, and Locker Room. Avatar, you and Jewels will be bunking together in Room 450A. Sylphid and Shodan, 450B. Consider it a team building exercise, ladies."

Ms. Doring was quick to add that last point before all hell broke loose. "I mean it. Any complaints about room assignments will fall on deaf ears. So aside from that... any questions?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.

Potential: 1/5 | Conditions: None

By the time she's finishes, I'm just staring at Ms. Doring with a look of outraged horror on my face. There was like, two things she said that weren't objectionable. It takes a moment to pull my mouth shut enough to start talking, but when I do, it bursts out. "WHAT!?! You can't do that! First, Vermilion practically attacked Bravura last mission, you can't put the two of them together with no one who could stop her if she freaks out like that again, and second, even if you think Sylphid is a better leader then me, which she isn't, there's definitely no one of those four who're prepared for the job!" I glare in her direction, fixing her with my best sternly leaderish expression. "You either need to swap me with Vermilion or Bravura with someone here, it wouldn't be safe. Actually, I'm pretty sure the three of us," I gesture at everyone but Sylphid. "Were the ones the least happy with Sylphid's leadership -no offense- so you're giving her the team least likely to follow her instructions. You should swap Bravura with Sylphid, make me the leader of Blue team and her the leader of Red team, and leave it at that." Perfect solution, Sylphid would have a team that'd listen to her, I'd be able to keep Bravura safe and I'd be a team leader, like I should be.

<godfish> provoke Doring, +1 for protecting lover
<godfish> !r 2d6+3
<Krysmbot> godfish, 9+3 = 12
<godfish> :O

• Locked thread