Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
Yeah. I'm not completely ruling out the possibility of going back eventually, because who knows. I just know that if we keep going straight through without stopping the quality of the discussion would suffer a lot, especially due to the repetition that you mentioned.

Would you believe it if I said there were another 20 minutes of that argument throughout the last episode that I cut out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Reminder that the English translation of the first novel, Dawn, is going to be released March 8th. http://www.viz.com/books/print/legend-of-the-galactic-heroes-volume-1/12161

Looks like both Amazon and B&N have it for $10.66 if you pre-order, instead of $15.99.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
For what it's worth, I could barely tolerate the most recent episode of the podcast even though I liked the previous ones, partially because I really like the slice of life episodes like 13-14 where you're just following a low-level Imperial officer following some heart-wrenching orders and then the well-meaning low-level Alliance soldiers dealing with the horrible repercussions, but you guys couldn't stand those episodes. Taste varies, and LOGH might just not be for you.

I do hope that even if you guys give up the show, for AP to keep watching it and eventually post point by point how his predictions turned out and his thoughts about them. I think he's enjoying and getting into the show much more than the other two of you.

On a semi-related note I'm actually very concerned as well as excited about the new LOGH TV show. Legend of Galactic Heroes is so very...different...from everything else. A bit of me's concerned that the past quarter-century's changes in tastes will dramatically alter LOGH and will do so for the worse and not the better. Part of me worries that the amazing soundtrack will be almost completely replaced by anime background music, for example.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
On another note, drat this review of the book is brutal:

quote:

Publishers Weekly
02/29/2016
Tanaka's military SF classic has been unavailable in English for decades, but given the poor quality of this new translation, it's hard to say whether that was truly a bad thing. The saga follows two young commanders on either side of a galactic war: Reinhard von Lohengramm of the Galactic Empire, and Yang Wen-li of the Free Planets Alliance. Upon their first meeting in battle, each man distinguishes himself by utilizing unorthodox tactical maneuvers (which have their basis in military history). A web of political infighting on both sides slowly reveals itself, but Huddleston's prose is so slavishly devoted to Tanaka's original Japanese text that the path towards the meat of the book quickly becomes a slog. It's easy to lose interest long before the action picks up (no thanks to the unnecessary, lengthy prologue, absent in the fan-favorite anime adaptation). It doesn't help that Tanaka's nearly 35-year-old plot has aged rather poorly; with its overwhelmingly male-dominated story and shallow female characters, it's hard to find a place for this series among today's more nuanced SF. (Mar.)

I know we discuss LOGH's sausage-fest status every few pages, but I seriously don't mind it. It's a military story featuring a deeply reactionary and hierarchical society on one side and an almost hilariously macho and chauvinist force on the other, and I felt the story did a reasonably good job of showing that the consequences of characters' attitudes towards women can and does bite them in the rear end repeatedly.

Basically, I don't think LOGH is misogynist, I think it is a story that depicts a misogynistic and paternalistic culture.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
That means it is misogynist.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Most 35yr old s/f has aged badly in that regard. Didn't the anime actually add some female characters?

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

mikeycp posted:

Hello logh thread.

I just wanted to give a heads up that for multiple reasons I won't be posting updates about the podcast in here anymore. The leading one being that I feel uncomfortable with so much of the activity as of late being me plugging my poo poo.

My last plug in here will be directing y'all to the new Anime Podcast Thread, where I will continue to give updates.

Thanks for putting up with me over the last month or so.
This thread is one of the oldest threads still active on SA. In fact I think it might actually be the oldest. Almost everyone who posts regularly here has already seen the show through to the end, possibly more than once, and discussed it several times over. The thread's over a decade old, and the show's even older. Your podcast built specifically around discussing LOGH is not derailing the thread, nor consuming it, nor making it your own, nor infringing upon other competing discussions; rather, it is generating discussion and bolstering participation in an otherwise somewhat sleepy (these days) thread.

By all means, if you wish, continue.

SHISHKABOB posted:

Depiction and advocation are two very different things.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
If you do a thing then you are that thing.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

SHISHKABOB posted:

Okay, son.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide
THIS BOOK DOESN'T EVEN HAVE CHICKS

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

SHISHKABOB posted:

Showing people doing a thing =\= doing a thing

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Eh, it's misogynistic, but it's also something written in 80s Japan with a militaristic thematic, and it doesn't actively push negative stereotypes, so I'm willing to give it a pass for its lackluster depiction of women. I don't think it warrants an asterisk when recommending it, but I understand why people would be bothered by it.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

Bad Seafood posted:

This thread is one of the oldest threads still active on SA. In fact I think it might actually be the oldest. Almost everyone who posts regularly here has already seen the show through to the end, possibly more than once, and discussed it several times over. The thread's over a decade old, and the show's even older. Your podcast built specifically around discussing LOGH is not derailing the thread, nor consuming it, nor making it your own, nor infringing upon other competing discussions; rather, it is generating discussion and bolstering participation in an otherwise somewhat sleepy (these days) thread.

By all means, if you wish, continue.

Ok. Once we can actually record again and start down the home stretch I'll definitely post the last few episodes in there, then.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I'm reading the book.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe
It's set in a universe where a reactionary bigoted monster seized control of galactic society 400 years ago, reintroduced aristocratic rule, murdered/sterilized those he considered unfit to live, imposed mass agricultural life of serfdom on the overwhelming share of the galactic population, and set his country on a reactionary track it's only starting to drift away from at the time the series starts (see Oberstein's bitterness at the Imperial attitude towards the disabled and awareness that he was only a few generations removed from being euthanized at birth for his defective eyesight). It'd be jarring and shocking if the role of women in the Empire in such a universe wasn't restricted to ambitious noblewomen either playing the court game like Annerose and her friends or one-off ambitious geniuses like Hildegard who want to play the boys' game by their rules.

The Alliance is obviously a different story, but the Alliance has a constant narrative theme of the contrast between ideals and reality. The Alliance is allegedly democratic and yet is ruled by a corrupt oligarchy using paramilitaries to enforce its rule. The Alliance is allegedly egalitarian and yet the ruling cohort has absolutely no concern with common folk. The Alliance is, at the start of the series, run by hawkish warmongers who want to keep the war going in order to artificially increase their own popularity even if it means bankrupting the country and sending millions to die pointlessly. Is adding "is nominally supporting gender equality and yet is crudely misogynistic" really that far out of line? And I do stand firm with my thoughts that the show's message condemns the attitudes of Poplan and Schoenkopf towards women, especially in Schoenkopf's case.

Long story short, I don't feel that an author needs to be misogynistic to portray a military setting with few women and those that are there subjected to harassment and discrimination...just pessimistic.

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

I thought I was going insane for a second.

How does the show condemn Poplan or Schenkop at all? Ruenthal, I'll give you, maybe. In any case, your arguement would be more convincing if we saw any demographic differences in the military forces of the post-Reinhard Empire or the Yang Fleet.

Like, I love the series, but I'm not going to pretend it's not a product of its times with all the flaws that it will entail.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Superstring posted:

How does the show condemn Poplan or Schenkop at all? Ruenthal, I'll give you, maybe. In any case, your arguement would be more convincing if we saw any demographic differences in the military forces of the post-Reinhard Empire or the Yang Fleet.

Like, I love the series, but I'm not going to pretend it's not a product of its times with all the flaws that it will entail.

Schenkop's daughter hating his guts for a long time doesn't count as condemnation?

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe

TheKingofSprings posted:

Schenkop's daughter hating his guts for a long time doesn't count as condemnation?

This. Schoenkopf has a (season 3 spoiler) long-lost illegitimate daughter whom he never recognized who absolutely despises him. Most of Schoenkopf's arc in the last two seasons deals with his slow realization that loving women across the entire galaxy has consequences and trying, mostly unsuccessfully, to mend his relationship with his own flesh and blood.

Also, Katerose's very persistence in the fighter corps under the hilariously chauvinistic Poplan and her advancement under those circumstances is by itself a story you wouldn't get if Poplan were less of a douchebag.

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

I thought I was going insane for a second.

TheKingofSprings posted:

Not really, considering he doesn't really care overmuch and she pretty much comes around on him in the end.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe
All of what I've said isn't to downplay that LOGH is occasionally pretty bad with gender stuff...but if you look at the characters most out of whack, whether Oskar von Reuenthal's outspoken and extreme misogyny (and his sex slave) or Schoenkopf's blatant womanizing, or whatever the gently caress Freudian stuff Rubinsky and his son are up to in Season 2, they're not especially happy or well-adjusted characters. Contrast to Cazellnu or Mittermeyer, who are in healthy, loving relationships and are stable and well-adjusted characters, or how Julian, who is pretty clearly supposed to be the moral compass of the show, explicitly rejects behaving like Poplan towards women.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

SHISHKABOB posted:

If I used drugs in real life then yes I would be a drug user, and it probably wouldn't be a stretch to assume that I approved of drugs and the free use thereof.

If I wrote a book about a fictitious society in which drug use was legal, accepted, and common, that would not necessitate me being a drug user, nor would it require me to approve of drugs, nor would it require my writing to implicitly approve of them by virtue of their mere inclusion within the setting.

Claiming the world of LOGH is sexist is different than claiming LOGH itself is a sexist work.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

TheKingofSprings posted:

Showing people doing a thing =\= doing a thing

Look it's like how tolkien is a highly classist and racist story. I'm not calling tolkien a loving nazi, bu that's just what happens in the story. I think you guys are taking this too hard. I'm not condeming LOGH, the show is good. I'm just saying face the facts.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

What's got people isn't whether or not you think the work is sexist or racist or whatever, but that your argument appears to boil down to "If a work depicts problematic elements then it is implicitly in favor of/empowering/forwarding those elements," which often doesn't pan out, nor does it really tell the whole story. Mark Twain's Huckleberry Finn concerns a Southern U.S. slave-holding society in which racism is deeply entrenched and ever-present in the novel, yet one of the major themes in the book is the idea that black slaves are people too, that they're human beings with worth and dignity who should not remain shackled and deserve better treatment than what they've been afforded.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Bad Seafood posted:

What's got people isn't whether or not you think the work is sexist or racist or whatever, but that your argument appears to boil down to "If a work depicts problematic elements then it is implicitly in favor of/empowering/forwarding those elements," which often doesn't pan out, nor does it really tell the whole story. Mark Twain's Huckleberry Finn concerns a Southern U.S. slave-holding society in which racism is deeply entrenched and ever-present in the novel, yet one of the major themes in the book is the idea that black slaves are people too, that they're human beings with worth and dignity who should not remain shackled and deserve better treatment than what they've been afforded.

Also, that attitude implies that it is impossible to write a story that critiques racism or sexism. It's good to have stories that depict how society should be, but it's equally necessary to depict how society is and why that needs to change. I cannot show you why sexism is a bad thing if I cannot show you sexism.

Unrelated: apparently my copy arrived so I'll read it when I get home.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Bad Seafood posted:

You're making the "in favor" thing appear out of nowhere. A person immersed within an ideology will produce ideas that align with that ideology, therefore the ideas are a part of that ideology. Like you're just totally missing the point and instead are squirming all over the place about "oh but my FEELINGS please don't HURT MY FEELINGS by pointing out that hurtful and problematic things exist within the work that I adore".

Being an ally of oppressed and marginalized groups of society means giving up caring about your petty feelings or saying "but wait, let's not go so far as to say that my favorite author was passively misogynistic". It's ok man, everyone is a part of society, we are all engulfed in pretty much the same ideology. You aren't condemned to hell for that fact. It's when you try and defend bullshit ideas like by saying stuff like "LOGH isnt actually advocating sexism, it's just uh portraying it in a highly realistic way that conforms to the patriarchal mainstream power structure's idea of what should be".

VostokProgram posted:

Also, that attitude implies that it is impossible to write a story that critiques racism or sexism. It's good to have stories that depict how society should be, but it's equally necessary to depict how society is and why that needs to change. I cannot show you why sexism is a bad thing if I cannot show you sexism.

Unrelated: apparently my copy arrived so I'll read it when I get home.

ugh that's totally missing the point too

Like I mean jeez, there's stories all the time where they criticize violence and war and murder and the whole goddamn story is about murder. Do you see maybe what I'm saying now? The movies that are against war are about war. They are war movies. They have to be war movies in order to be against war. I think for some reason if something gets called misogynistic people instead read "this thing is EVIL and must be BURNED AT THE STAKE".

SHISHKABOB fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Mar 9, 2016

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Well, it's unclear whether by giving a negative review to a problematic thing the reviewer is actually saying that its problems make it unworthy, which would make it genuinely in need (though not for that reason deserving) of defense against ideology. This and many other exciting confusions arise when we conflate the interpretation of art with the passing of moral and aesthetic verdicts upon it.

Infected
Oct 17, 2012

Salt Incarnate

Atleast LoGH ends with a female character as arguably the single most powerful political figure in the galaxy. A female character that caused one of the biggest and most important plot twists by going against the wishes of her male peers. Just thinking about this makes me hate women.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Bongo Bill posted:

Well, it's unclear whether by giving a negative review to a problematic thing the reviewer is actually saying that its problems make it unworthy, which would make it genuinely in need (though not for that reason deserving) of defense against ideology. This and many other exciting confusions arise when we conflate the interpretation of art with the passing of moral and aesthetic verdicts upon it.

Yeah see for some reason stating that what happens in logh is misogynist gives people the idea that logh is bad and evil

Infected posted:

Atleast LoGH ends with a female character as arguably the single most powerful political figure in the galaxy. A female character that caused one of the biggest and most important plot twists by going against the wishes of her male peers. Just thinking about this makes me hate women.

Like this guy. Wtf.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Is it surprising that one-line "it is this" responses get defensive answers, because it shouldn't be.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Yeah nerds are terrible at accepting criticism of what they like, unless you pander really hard. Even if it's rather benign.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The book was a rather light experience considering the body count. It treated is story distantly and impersonally, as befits a work of false history, and it seemed to spend as much time digressing suddenly into its fictional past (oftentimes in the middle of a scene) as into the private thoughts of its characters. It isn't quite a matter of depicting only that which could maintain the premise of being empirically documented, and I'm not sure if that stylistic compromise makes the whole work less interesting (by backing away from the historical aesthetic) or more (by bringing the reader closer to the characters' motivations).

Having seen the adaptation first may have tainted my impressions. The animation has far better means to distinguish the enormous supporting cast, but the fact that I had a ready-made image of all of them definitely made such a difference that I can't guess at what it would be like for someone without that exposure.

I'm not equipped to comment on the quality of the translation save that the prose was clear and plain throughout, and this plainness worked to its advantage. The few idiomatically Japanese rhetorical constructs that remained may only have stood out to me because I already knew to recognize them, and they certainly didn't detract.

If you get it as an ebook, be aware that the default starting location is set after the lengthy expository prologue.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Bongo Bill posted:

This was more my concern, though it appears I could've expressed it better. I've known far too many people for whom ethical verdicts and appraisals of quality are one and the same, whether they're rejecting/excusing an undesirable label in order to defend their interests, or insisting on labels as justification for dismissal (though I've gotta be honest and say that personally I've run into more of the latter than the former). My go-to example in this case was Huck Finn because of the well-established controversy surrounding its inclusion and treatment of racism.

The societies depicted in LOGH are indeed deeply sexist, but I feel as though calling it specifically a sexist narrative rather openly implies that the narrative acts in affirmation of the societies being presented, which - and this is where conflicting interpretations come to bear - doesn't gel with my own reading of the story. Which may be (and clearly is, in this case) different from someone else's reading of the story. This conversation has less to do with the fear of slanderous labels and more to do with a disagreement over defining terms. Even accepting (which I do, actually) that LOGH is a product of its own age and culture, and thus influenced by it in a number of subtle ways (as are all artistic works), I still feel like it comes out ahead on this front. I'd still like it even if it didn't though, and will continue to like it even if my interpretation is eventually disproven.

That said, I don't really feel like sexual politics were a significant focus for the writers where LOGH is concerned. I don't think they were necessarily trying to say anything profound or meaningful on the subject, just that I feel the narrative tips (if ever so slighly) in favor of one side over the other.

That said,

SHISHKABOB posted:

It's when you try and defend bullshit ideas like by saying stuff like "LOGH isnt actually advocating sexism, it's just uh portraying it in a highly realistic way that conforms to the patriarchal mainstream power structure's idea of what should be".
a huge part of LOGH is taking the piss out of power structures presented, so I'm not sure why it's quite so unbelievable that it would present an accurate reflection of something that exists in the real world in order to critique it.

Bad Seafood fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Mar 10, 2016

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Yes I'm not in contention with most of those points. But I do not find that the female characters in logh serve to subvert patriarchal ideas either diegetically or from an allegorical perspective. None of the main female characters do anything but what you'd expect from a male-perspective story. Even in the Iserlohn democratic state, they do not stray far from the culture of the FPA. Nor does Reinhards new empire strive for significant changes in the way women are treated. Greenleaf and Hilden...dorf? (Whatever their names are) are both extremely intelligent women who could achieve power in their own right. But in the world of logh this is not so for women.

Logh is a great fun show and I loved it as I watched it. But it is rather shallow in many regards.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

SHISHKABOB posted:

SHISHKABOB posted:

Like I mean jeez, there's stories all the time where they criticize violence and war and murder and the whole goddamn story is about murder. Do you see maybe what I'm saying now? The movies that are against war are about war. They are war movies. They have to be war movies in order to be against war. I think for some reason if something gets called misogynistic people instead read "this thing is EVIL and must be BURNED AT THE STAKE".

I would find it very misleading if somebody referred to Threads as a "jingoist" movie. Likewise, To Kill a Mockingbird as "racist". I agree with your point though.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

SHISHKABOB posted:

You're making the "in favor" thing appear out of nowhere.

[...]

It's when you try and defend bullshit ideas like by saying stuff like "LOGH isnt actually advocating sexism, it's just uh portraying it in a highly realistic way that conforms to the patriarchal mainstream power structure's idea of what should be".

[...]

I think the problem is of interpretation of what exactly you mean by misogynistic.

If one refers to a person as misogynistic, then one is generally implying that they behave in a manner which suggests they hold (and behave in a manner which implies they advocate) misogynist beliefs, but it sounds to me as though in this context when you refer to a work of fiction as being misogynistic, you literally just mean "it contains misogyny in some form", which as you said is almost inevitable in a work produced in a culture where such beliefs are both explicitly and implicitly commonplace.

But the point that Slim Jim makes is I think the most cogent: if you treat some other descriptors in the same way, then you're going to seriously mislead anyone to whom you are speaking; I'd argue that unless you would in all seriousness call "Schindler's List" an anti-Semitic movie, then your use of "misogynistic" in this manner is inconsistent.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
However I say it, logh treats women like crap relative to men. It's sexist. And unlike schindlers list, for example, it does not make its sexism into a major issue at any given time (unless I'm remembering wrong). I'm pretty sure it never goes "hey the way these future space people treat women is like identical to the way our culture does".

Logh is great for a lot of reasons. But it fails terribly at being progressive.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
If you recall, LoGH's thesis is "history shows us that people do the same poo poo at all times and places, enlightenment ideals of Progress are at best a delusion subject to historical contingency". It's kind of a frequently repeated idea throughout the show.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

LoGH goes at length to depict the problems of dictatorships and democracies both and its primary way of criticism is showing rather than telling. Thing is, it does a fair bit of telling too! The characters talk about it, the in-setting documentaries talk about it, even the narrator talks about it. I could be wrong but I don't recall a single point in the whole of LoGH where it does the same thing for sexism that it does to politics, war, etc.

Is LoGH regressive? Absolutely not. But it is not progressive either, and I don't think it is wrong to give it a pass if you're tired of fiction where it is all men doing man things.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
I saw a headline the other day saying that Syria used to be a much more progressive place, hundreds of years ago. It's kind of an odd assumption to conclude society and history are moving toward some ultimate progressive end point (not that I disagree with those philosophies as a whole). Similarly, America is seeing the rise of authoritarian leaders on the right. Things don't always get better!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

^^^uh duh? I don't see the relevance

Yeah see I'm not "giving it a pass".