Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Duncan and Yomega haven't been too good quality lately but the reputation of their products is consistent so things will probably hang around the bottom for a while then get better any minute now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Challangers, Chargers and the Rams are nice, though. I've had a Ram I bought new in 05 and I still have it. Runs like a champ.

Mercedes Benz gutted them while they owned them. They went from turning a profit to being bankrupt in 10 years, and it all happened while MB owned them.

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

I'm bad with money and I want that meatball!

a happy snowman posted:

Eh, I'd buy an American car if the controls for all the little doodads inside weren't crummy and the ergonomics were good. Every American car I've rented has had weirdly uncomfortable seating, or had chintzy, badly labeled, stupidly hard to use controls for everything from the heat to lights to signals, or terrible sight lines in cars that had plenty of glass and window size. Even the pedals felt lovely. Where I can jump into any Japanese car and I feel right at home.

I didn't drive them long enough to see if they broke down though.

I would love to hear your rant about a turn indicator. tia

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Y-Hat posted:

there's an NYC supermarket chain named Fairway that fits well here

http://www.grubstreet.com/2016/02/collapse-of-fairway.html?mid=facebook_nymag

it overexpanded beyond Manhattan and they borrowed to finance it. now they're in deep poo poo and they're not even as good as they used to be

I really like Fairway. They're a little more expensive so I usually get name-brand stuff (canned soup, frozen food etc.) at Stop&Shop, but Fairway has great and varied produce, a nice selection of meats and cheeses at the deli, and honestly a better beer selection than most of the liquor stores around me. I dunno if it's just this particular Fairway, but there's a full huge aisle just for beer and they're constantly getting new stuff in. Oh! and they have a shitload of different kinds of coffee and they grind it fresh for you if you don't have a grinder at home.

It's basically a Whole Foods and a normal supermarket combined, they mirror a lot of their aisles with organic-only equivalents and poo poo

Chauncey
Sep 16, 2007

Gibbering
Fathead

VikingSkull posted:

Challangers, Chargers and the Rams are nice, though. I've had a Ram I bought new in 05 and I still have it. Runs like a champ.

Mercedes Benz gutted them while they owned them. They went from turning a profit to being bankrupt in 10 years, and it all happened while MB owned them.

Sorry about your rear quarter rust.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Harley has some parts that look right out of 90s GM. Also if they're being used in fleets for say police departments they're unreliable poo poo, but they're easier to find parts for/priced better most likely.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

VikingSkull posted:

Neon engine is a hero.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

Original_Z posted:

Yeah, I go to Australia a lot on business and always stop by at the K-Marts, they're quite pleasant to go into. You'd think the American branch would take notice and try to replicate its success.

Oddly enough, the Australian Target seems really dated and lower-quality than the K-Marts. They still use the same 90s-style signage.

I suppose when you go down under you have to expect some things to be opposite.

The K-Mart in Guam is also pretty popular, probably because it's the only real shop of its kind on the island and all of the tourists go there.

Both Kmart and Target in Australia are owned by Coles-Westfarmers and arent linked to the American ones outside of name licensing.

Target is the more upmarket of the two (and is refreshing their store image at the moment as well) whilst Kmart is VERY bargain bin quality now but is dressed up exceedingly well and promotes their cheapness properly.

I dunno if you mean "lower quality" as in product quality as I can assure you that Target is considerably better quality in most of its ranges then Kmart's ill fitting idea of clothing.

johnny sack
Jan 30, 2004

One day, this team will play to their expectations...

Just not this year..

Chauncey posted:

Sorry about your rear quarter rust.

This is so true. I have an 03 Ram 1500 and an 06 Charger. I know all about rear quarter rust. Both vehicles rusting in the exact same places, the truck 3 years rustier than the car.

However, both of the Hemi engines run like champs. The transmissions are both great, too. The Charger has had a bunch of front suspension issues, however, and the truck some steering issues. Overall I'd buy again if they made an AWD Hemi Charger (which as far as I can tell they did for a couple years but not anymore for some reason).

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
IM SO BAD AT ACTUALLY TALKING ABOUT F1 IN ANY MEANINGFUL WAY SOME DUDE WITH TOO MUCH FREE MONEY WILL KEEP CHANGING IT UNTIL I SHUT THE FUCK UP OR ACTUALLY POST SOMETHING THAT ISNT SPEWING HATE/SLURS/TELLING PEOPLE TO KILL THEMSELVES

VikingSkull posted:

Mercedes gutted them simply because they never actually wanted to own Chrysler, they were more scared at the prospect of a merged BMW-Rover-Chrysler which looked like a distinct possibility at the time but in retrospect probably would've been a hilarious cluster gently caress. It really wasn't the happiest marriage.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Nonsense posted:

Harley has some parts that look right out of 90s GM. Also if they're being used in fleets for say police departments they're unreliable poo poo, but they're easier to find parts for/priced better most likely.

I know someone who was a motorcycle cop for a large California sheriff's department. As one of the more experienced officers, he was asked to be on the committee to provide input on what they should replace their fleet with. They had bids from Yamaha, Kawasaki, Honda, Harley Davidson, and BMW. I don't remember from his anecdote where the brand and models fell on the capabilities and usability spectrum, but selection fell to the cheapest three.
The second cheapest one was better in every single way than the other two. It was only like $50 more expensive than the cheaper one. Guess which one they bought?!

Harley needs to undergo a Renaissance like Cadillac did a few years ago. Cadillac was making boring grandpa cars and their user base of boring grandpas was literally dying off. Then the Escalade happened and now they have a few cars that people under 50 would actually want to own. Harley's current situation is probably pretty similar. Not really circling the drain, but in decline

BigBoss
Jan 26, 2012

by Lowtax

1500quidporsche posted:

Mercedes gutted them simply because they never actually wanted to own Chrysler, they were more scared at the prospect of a merged BMW-Rover-Chrysler which looked like a distinct possibility at the time but in retrospect probably would've been a hilarious cluster gently caress. It really wasn't the happiest marriage.

D-B bought Chrysler for Chrysler's cash and engineering prowess. It had nothing to do with Rover or BMW.

Squashing Machine
Jul 5, 2005

I mean boning, the wild mambo, the hunka chunka

Original_Z posted:

Yeah, I go to Australia a lot on business and always stop by at the K-Marts, they're quite pleasant to go into. You'd think the American branch would take notice and try to replicate its success.

Fun fact, Australian Kmarts aren't owned by Sears Holdings, but by a completely different company that licensed the name a long time ago. They're generally nicer places because they haven't been run into the ground by a libertarian robber baron

Edit: the first time I went out to Sears HQ in Hoffman Estates, there was a meet and greet going on for some B-list wrestler for god knows what reason. The line was long but the people seemed a bit compelled to be there

Squashing Machine has a new favorite as of 18:15 on Mar 6, 2016

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good
I like how searching for Eddie Lampert comes up with many articles to the tune of "they really, really need to fire this guy." It's like the shareholders live in their own world.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

canyoneer posted:

Harley needs to undergo a Renaissance like Cadillac did a few years ago. Cadillac was making boring grandpa cars and their user base of boring grandpas was literally dying off. Then the Escalade happened and now they have a few cars that people under 50 would actually want to own. Harley's current situation is probably pretty similar. Not really circling the drain, but in decline

Some people say Cadillac's still circling the drain since the only continuing sales successes of note are the SRX (soon to be replaced by the XT5) and the Escalade. They only have one CUV of note when they should have had at least 2 or 3 in the lineup. The ATS is a cramped 3-Series chaser with a cheapo instrument cluster. The ELR was a dud and the Tesla Model S shows what Cadillac could have done with it. The XTS (a premium Impala) still exists and there's still no RWD/AWD flagship sedan.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
I do sort of wonder if the rise of the cheap Chinese scooter and three-wheel cycles have affected the middle-age/older Harley crowd? Dumb thought, but bear with me:

You can go grab a scooter that's anywhere from $500-$2000, from 49cc-500cc, and it's a twist and go. You can buy them from several places, too, and not just Harley dealers. Compared to getting a full-on motorcycle, they're cheap enough for them to be considered almost disposable as a temp bike for a season or so to give you a little experience, a chance to figure out if you REALLY want to drop $10-30K on a 'real' bike, get a chance to figure out what you want in a bike, etc.

But say you go the scooter route: Maybe that gets rid of that itch. If you're only riding that $1500 scooter around 2 weeks a year, were you really going to ride that $15K Harley around any more?

Further, I see a lot of older people who are more interested in things like the Spyders, and I sort of get why: They might appear safer, they seem more stable, and maybe even a bit sportier and sleeker than a traditional Harley style bike which might be more appealing to a later Baby Boomer/Early Gen X crowd.

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

JediTalentAgent posted:

I do sort of wonder if the rise of the cheap Chinese scooter and three-wheel cycles have affected the middle-age/older Harley crowd? Dumb thought, but bear with me:

You can go grab a scooter that's anywhere from $500-$2000, from 49cc-500cc, and it's a twist and go. You can buy them from several places, too, and not just Harley dealers. Compared to getting a full-on motorcycle, they're cheap enough for them to be considered almost disposable as a temp bike for a season or so to give you a little experience, a chance to figure out if you REALLY want to drop $10-30K on a 'real' bike, get a chance to figure out what you want in a bike, etc.

But say you go the scooter route: Maybe that gets rid of that itch. If you're only riding that $1500 scooter around 2 weeks a year, were you really going to ride that $15K Harley around any more?

Further, I see a lot of older people who are more interested in things like the Spyders, and I sort of get why: They might appear safer, they seem more stable, and maybe even a bit sportier and sleeker than a traditional Harley style bike which might be more appealing to a later Baby Boomer/Early Gen X crowd.

Scooters are like fat chics, fun to ride, but you dont want anyone to see you with them.

herhehejhrekjashsd
Mar 7, 2016

by zen death robot
quantum reality demonization ;F

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

JediTalentAgent posted:

Doubtful. People don't buy a Harley because they want a motorcycle, they buy a Harley because they want a Harley. A devoted following isn't a bad thing for a brand, but when that group makes up a lot of your sales and that group isn't really growing, you have a problem.

And trikes have been a thing for the disabled crowd for a long time. Those trike conversions are like sitting on a couch. If you've had 4 hip surgeries, that sounds pretty appealing while still getting most of the motorcycle experience.

Scooters are lame. You can buy a really nice used metric cruiser for $3-4k, do most of the maintenance yourself, and sell it when you're done with it for not much less. Resale value on those sketchy Chinese scooters is low, and part of that is because there are sometimes no parts available for repair.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Bulk Vanderhuge posted:

Here's a great article on Target's monumental gently caress up in Canada.

http://www.canadianbusiness.com/the-last-days-of-target-canada/

This is a fun read. Laid low by new inventory software that no one had proper training on and that wasn't set up properly.

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD
You buy a Harley so you can park it outside of the bar with the other Harley's and then go inside and talk to all the other middle aged white men about Harley's and Harley life.

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I ate a sandwich from a quiznos today only because I thought they were out of business but noticed I drive past one that says open but always looks deserted. The guy had to toast it twice and even then it wasn't that toasted and on the second lap the guy made small talk about how a few years ago it snowed in April. What was concerning was the individually prepackaged cookies and general "keep this place operating at bare minimum in case you can't make rent" look of the place but I did walk in 15 minutes before closing so there's that to consider.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I don't remember what quiznos sandwiches taste like but I'll never forget that time they thought it was a good idea to license an intentionally lovely flash animation from a b3ta.com poster.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

BigBoss posted:

D-B bought Chrysler for Chrysler's cash and engineering prowess. It had nothing to do with Rover or BMW.

Fiat trying to force GM in to a merger is easily the most interesting automotive business situation going on right now. Essentially it would mean the single largest beneficiary from that massive bailout process in 09 would be Turin, Italy

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
Hometown Buffet has filed Chapter 11

http://www.cnbc.com/2016/03/07/hometown-buffet-files-for-bankruptcy.html?utm_source=fark&utm_medium=website&utm_content=link

Navin Johnson
Mar 1, 2016

etalian posted:

Mazda did refurbish and overhaul the whole car for him free of charge.

Must be nice. *sighs and looks at loaded pistol in hand in contemplation*

Navin Johnson
Mar 1, 2016

Bonzo posted:

the majority of the cars I've owned are Toyota. I've beat two of them to death ( an 84 Tercel 4 speed and an 86 Corolla wagon) and the engines would not quit.

22r motors are legendary. Same thing with Nissan L20b and their straight-six counterparts. I can say Ive been blessed to own a 74 260z and a 77 280z. Hated to part with both of them. California smog laws for old cars are loving stupid. Surprising fact: I've taken the 1990 Accord to 120 mph as well. Cajon Pass.

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

lol they also owned Ryan's, we had one in my hometown

RYAN'S RESTAURANT CLOSES WITH NO NOTICE- COMPANY BANKRUPTCY UNCOVERED

Tipps
Apr 18, 2006

party in the front

business in the back

The first time I ever went to the USA, it was to go people watch at the Old Country Buffet in Bellingham, WA because I had read in some GBS thread about what a shitshow american buffet places are.

:rip:

There's always Golden Corral I guess.

Navin Johnson
Mar 1, 2016

johnny sack posted:

Almost all cars are reliable if you take even just average care of it - ie adhering to some or most of the routine maintenance.

I agree. Maintenance is very key for older cars. I'm lucky to have a badass mechanic with tons of import certs and experience. The thing you are shooting for is not to have the actual motor and heads not bust.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Navin Johnson posted:

I agree. Maintenance is very key for older cars. I'm lucky to have a badass mechanic with tons of import certs and experience. The thing you are shooting for is not to have the actual motor and heads not bust.

Someone's never had a rotary, 80s-90s Dodge/Chrysler or low horse power Chevy built before 2007

e: or Alfa, MG or Pontiac Fiero

Navin Johnson
Mar 1, 2016

This is good.............

Navin Johnson
Mar 1, 2016

Booblord Zagats posted:

Someone's never had a rotary, 80s-90s Dodge/Chrysler or low horse power Chevy built before 2007

e: or Alfa, MG or Pontiac Fiero

You're right. Notice I bought a HONDA. Seriously, you expect an Alfa or MG or Wankel to be reliable. You are forgiven for the Chevy I guess............

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Ryans is the worst thing Goons have ever posted. Doobies was of higher quality..

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

I remember when Quincy's used to be around. Their bread rolls were pretty good.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

buffets can all go to hell- especially Old Country Buffet, which is owned by the same corporation that makes food for for-profit prisons (EDIT: and apparently a ton of other chains). the only people who go there are old farts who've been retired for over 20 years and rotund people who wear sweatpants everywhere- wastes of space both

get that OUT of my face has a new favorite as of 00:24 on Mar 9, 2016

Tipps
Apr 18, 2006

party in the front

business in the back
I choose to believe that Old Country Buffet et al went bankrupt because its patrons literally ate so much AYCE that they just couldn't keep their doors open profitably anymore.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
Aren't food costs a relatively minor expense for the mass-produced mass-cooked poo poo that buffets poo poo out?

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
Rip sports authority.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

Is Gamestop dying? You'd figure with digital distro for almost everything now on consoles and a growing library of digital releases for old games their days would be numbered. Or do they embezzle money or do some scam with pre-orders and trade-ins that somehow keeps the lights on?