Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
Doesn't cbs keep its shows around forever?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Holyshoot posted:

Doesn't cbs keep its shows around forever?

Well yes, because most of them get really good ratings and justify being kept around.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:
I want a Limitless/PoI crossover to show that they take place in the same universe SO BADLY

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

I stopped watching Person of Interest around the beginning of Season 3, I think. :(

The first two seasons were pretty good though.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:
There's time for you to catch up on PoI before the next (last? :() season gets here!

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
This season is really slipping now.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Tenzarin posted:

:getout:

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
E: whoops wrong thread

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer

odiv posted:

I stopped watching Person of Interest around the beginning of Season 3, I think. :(

The first two seasons were pretty good though.

Oh man, it gets so drat good in S3.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Seriously its like getting 15 minutes into Empire Strikes Back and stopping.

Also when is the next new Limitless ep airing?

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

Next week according to imdb.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

tao of lmao posted:

Next week according to imdb.

I hope the random airings don't kill this show.Though it could be worse. It could be on Fox and they air it out of order. :(

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Ravane posted:

I hope the random airings don't kill this show.Though it could be worse. It could be on Fox and they air it out of order. :(

its really bizarre they do this

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

Someone at CBS hates shows that bill themselves as procedurals, but actually have lots of season long drama storylines. Person of Interest was killed off in much the same way for the same reason.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
This hasn't actually been bad, I can't think of many times they skipped a week.

Dilbert Fanclub President
Oct 21, 2015

by Reene
They've had several gaps it sucks.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!
Good news: the CBS CEO said they're planning on renewing 5 new shows, and Limitless is easily in the top 5 of their freshman series so renewal's looking likely

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

If there's one place the show misses the mark, it's Brian's family. For a bunch of people that claim to love him, they don't seem to give a poo poo about what he feels or has to say. It's not necessarily that they are unrealistic (families certainly don't behave "rationally" all the time), but they are definitely a drag on the flow of the show. Every time they show up it's "great, I wonder how some member of Brian's family will self righteously decide they know what's best for Brian this episode".

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.
Brian is in deeeep poo poo.

Edit// Seriously though this series is so good.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Way to loving rat out your brother, Rach. Nice going.

buddhanc
Feb 16, 2010

Yeah they were pretty hard on him for not wanting to commit treason.

There was something different about the directing this episode, it had such an ominous feel. I don't know how to describe it further than that though.

Anyways, Brian is about to be on the run from a number of people and shits gonna go down.

Kilson
Jan 16, 2003

I EAT LITTLE CHILDREN FOR BREAKFAST !!11!!1!!!!111!
Man, Rachel really hosed some poo poo up.

That letter! :emo:

drat, this show is so great!

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Tenzarin posted:

You're slipping.

Lost Season
Nov 28, 2013

I'm real fuckin' excited to see where they go from here. Brian's taking on the world with just two NZT pills, it's gonna be great.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien
Song of the Week: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1dVWaaUNSA

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

Wow that was brutal :smith: any other show would have dragged this out for seasons

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Liked the episode as usual but not a huge fan of how everything went down at the end. I get that they just wanted to put Brian in a nothing-to-lose situation, but his entire support structure coming down over the course of like 12 hours felt a bit rushed. Like it makes sense that Rebecca would be worried/suspicious/curious and go check out Brian's apartment, and it makes sense that Rachel was freaked the gently caress out that night, and it makes sense that all the worries his mom had about his job and how he's changing finally boiled over. But to have it all happen that quickly was a bit jarring. Rebecca having Brian's apartment completely tossed seemed too drastic, Brian blowing up in her face out of seemingly genuine anger rather than as some kind of stalling/distraction tactic seemed too drastic, and his mom acting like his life was falling apart because of the pills and basically kicking him out unless he told her something he clearly can't was too drastic.

The family situation especially seems way messier than it needs to be. If the show didn't want Brian to go on the run they could have pretty easily had him just talk to Ike/Mike, come up with an excuse for the extra pills, tell them that the guy Rachel saw was his old friend and he just told her he's an FBI agent because he didn't want to explain, and then had them talk to his mom and tell her that they're in charge of giving him those pills and specifically making sure that he's fine.

Not a big deal since they clearly just wanted to set Brian up to be in this position, but something that just really stood out to me because it was one of the few times that I felt like the storytelling and writing on the show could've been more clever and elegant than it was. Still, pulling the 'Brian goes on the run' card with 5 episodes left seems pretty ballsy and I'm excited to see what they do with it.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
Brian's hiding spot was weak and Rachel's OPSEC was weaker! I don't approve of how they pretexted this plot point, but I guess I can roll with it.

Mr Owl
Dec 28, 2008

VDay posted:

Liked the episode as usual but not a huge fan of how everything went down at the end. I get that they just wanted to put Brian in a nothing-to-lose situation, but his entire support structure coming down over the course of like 12 hours felt a bit rushed. Like it makes sense that Rebecca would be worried/suspicious/curious and go check out Brian's apartment, and it makes sense that Rachel was freaked the gently caress out that night, and it makes sense that all the worries his mom had about his job and how he's changing finally boiled over. But to have it all happen that quickly was a bit jarring. Rebecca having Brian's apartment completely tossed seemed too drastic, Brian blowing up in her face out of seemingly genuine anger rather than as some kind of stalling/distraction tactic seemed too drastic, and his mom acting like his life was falling apart because of the pills and basically kicking him out unless he told her something he clearly can't was too drastic.

They burnt his original joy division shirt as well! Tough week for brian

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Mr Owl posted:

They burnt his original joy division shirt as well! Tough week for brian

Boyle was just getting to like the idea of working with Brian.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Man, Brian is in some deep poo poo, especially if they figure out the Brian/Sands/Morra connection, which they will.

If last night was the finale I would have been pissed, but a lot of shows would wait until the last second to blow it up. This is going to be a good tail end of the season.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

VDay posted:

The family situation especially seems way messier than it needs to be. If the show didn't want Brian to go on the run they could have pretty easily had him just talk to Ike/Mike, come up with an excuse for the extra pills, tell them that the guy Rachel saw was his old friend and he just told her he's an FBI agent because he didn't want to explain, and then had them talk to his mom and tell her that they're in charge of giving him those pills and specifically making sure that he's fine.

Not a big deal since they clearly just wanted to set Brian up to be in this position, but something that just really stood out to me because it was one of the few times that I felt like the storytelling and writing on the show could've been more clever and elegant than it was. Still, pulling the 'Brian goes on the run' card with 5 episodes left seems pretty ballsy and I'm excited to see what they do with it.

I thought it was actually kind of realistic. Everyone not on NZT sees it for what it is, a drug. Rebecca had her father die from NZT, her trying to be cautious about Brian's usage makes sense, and I thought Brian blowing up at her for having his privacy violated, for losing two of his pills, and for being up for nearly 36-48 hours (if I'm getting the timeline correct), made a lot of sense.

His mom doesn't really know what the drug is, but it's fair to say that she wasn't pleased at finding out he smoked pot. To see him use a drug that might actually be dangerous, and to see his work encourages that drug really must have hurt her.

I don't know if you've ever suffered with drug addiction or known someone that's suffered. I almost lost one of my best friends a couple years ago to heroin addiction; guy was smarter than me but had a lot of family pressures and dealt with a lot of issues. I tried to get him off a lot of times, but it's emotionally draining. Especially when they lie to your face. Eventually, I cut ties and reported him so he'd get help. I've heard he's doing better now, but once you see the absolute worst side of a person, it's hard to go back to being friends.

I see Brian mimics a lot of attributes that an addict deals with, and it takes an emotional toll on the people around him. I think the story suffers from trying to show this all too quickly, when it should be much more gradual (think Breaking Bad). Brian's family sort of skipped the support and went straight to cutting ties, which seems a little harsh, but then again, I don't really know too much about Brian's background to make an accurate judgement.

Not saying you're wrong or anything for feeling the way you do, just offering a different perspective. I really empathized with Rebecca and Rachel. Not completely with the mom, but I know where she was coming from.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Yeah like I said I think it's reasonable that the mom felt that way, I just thought having her react like Brian's life was falling apart was a bit jarring given the fact that we've been watching his happy fun time crime solving shenanigans for 16 episodes. Obviously she doesn't know that and the show has touched on his family being nervous about him before, but it still seemed like they pretty much went from 0-100 just for the sake of letting Brian walk away.

Not the biggest deal and I definitely trust the show to make the most of it, just something I thought could've been handled better.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

It seems a bit silly that they would be mad at him for not telling them things and not being able to tell them things when they know he works for the loving FBI.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

VDay posted:

tell them that the guy Rachel saw was his old friend and he just told her he's an FBI agent because he didn't want to explain

"That guy who came into the secret safe house in the middle of the night, claimed to be from the FBI, was close to dying and refused to go to a hospital? Yeah, just an old friend of mine. Afterwards we just spend some time together doing nonmurdery stuff. Nevermind him. No I don't recall his name, sorry. So, what's for lunch?"

Yeah, he's not getting out of that one so easily. Rachel really betrayed him when she gossiped that arround after he explicitly told her not to do that under any circumstances. I'm really not a fan of his family. They are supposed to anchor him to reality, but instead they are asking him to commit treason, just to make themselves feel involved.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Mar 9, 2016

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Air is lava! posted:

"That guy who came into the secret safe house in the middle of the night, claimed to be from the FBI, was close to dying and refused to go to a hospital? Yeah, just an old friend of mine. Afterwards we just spend some time together doing nonmurdery stuff. Nevermind him. No I don't recall his name, sorry. So, what's for lunch?"

Yeah, he's not getting out of that one so easily. Rachel really betrayed him when she gossiped that arround after he explicitly told her not to do that under any circumstances. I'm really not a fan of his family. They are supposed to anchor him to reality, but instead they are asking him to commit treason, just to make themselves feel involved.

Yeah its "realistic" with the family being concerned he is on mystery drugs, but we were NOT given any reason at all to see anything from their perspective so it just comes off as a big wrench in the works. Especially when it seemed like his dad, though not cool with it, sort of 'gets' it a bit.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
His family takes their drama way too seriously and I haven't generally been a fan ever since his dad emotionally blackmailed top secret out of Brian like some KBG-trained hooker.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
Generally I cut uninformed family characters in TV shows slack because honestly they provide necessary balance and contrast. Even if they aren't necessarily fun or are buzzkills it isn't really feasible for every TV protagonist to just have nobody looking in and saying "Wait, what the hell is all this?"

Also Brian is the son of Nina Sharp and Arvin Sloane so they get "I am so glad these actors I enjoyed in this other show I like" bonus points.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

At the same time, maybe you shouldn't confront your son about his drugs when his FBI handlers are in the room.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Bruceski posted:

At the same time, maybe you shouldn't confront your son about his drugs when his FBI handlers are in the room.

Yeah, this is what I had a problem with. They could get him arrested. I get that it's a very emotional moment, but be aware of the room! At the same time, maybe they thought the FBI could knock some sense into him? I don't know, it's hard to gauge character motivations when they're not blatantly stated.

• Locked thread