Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Well this chapter was hilariously grim.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Cry Havoc and let slip the Hogs of War
They were just a stone's throw away from Monkey Trouble, too.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

:yikes:

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡
Jesus.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!
Rocks fall, party dies, game over.

Is it just me or did it seem like they changed some of the names of the characters this time? Or am I just used to this thread calling him the monkey titan?

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Yeah RIP humanity, you gave it a good effort. Good hustle. Really gave it a good shot.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Monkey trouble loving owns

Gumbercules
Jan 12, 2004

These aren't my lamps. These have feet.
Was that baseball reference a translators choice, or is that character actually aware of the game of baseball?

There were some great spreads in this chapter.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

So...was that technically a throw Bert did to Eren, or did he just punt Eren into the wall?

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

AradoBalanga posted:

So...was that technically a throw Bert did to Eren, or did he just punt Eren into the wall?

The latter, I think. Just kicked him off like something stuck to your shoe.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.

Gumbercules posted:

Was that baseball reference a translators choice, or is that character actually aware of the game of baseball?

In addition to the deliberate reference, Monkey Trouble struck a pitcher's pose and then threw a fastball. The character knows baseball, which raises all sorts of questions.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Idk it's probably just a reference since Japan is in love with baseball

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

In It For The Tank posted:

In addition to the deliberate reference, Monkey Trouble struck a pitcher's pose and then threw a fastball. The character knows baseball, which raises all sorts of questions.
nope, pancake reference.

free basket of chips
Sep 7, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Inside the walls is North Korea confirmed?

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Favorite scene from this month.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Oh god, Erwin's face when he see how hosed they are...

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.
I'm guessing Eren will need to use his "secret" ability to save the day. I'm a little confused though, does Monkey Titan also have the same ability to order Titans around?

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

ETB posted:

I'm guessing Eren will need to use his "secret" ability to save the day. I'm a little confused though, does Monkey Titan also have the same ability to order Titans around?

Yes, but it seems more he's ordering them around through fear and whatever vestige of humanity is left within them. Back when he killed Mike he had to punish a titan that wasn't listening to his orders. The coordinate is a legitimate mind control superpower.

Monocled Falcon
Oct 30, 2011
So Monkey Trouble threw some rocks so hard they exploded like canister shot and wiped out the entire survey corps except for the main characters. Like, wow, I've just lost complete interest in this arc. One, the whole rock throwing thing is stupid. Two, they just killed all the survey corps redshirts, so no more big fight scenes.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
Actually, throwing rocks is rad.

flowinprose
Sep 11, 2001

Where were you? .... when they built that ladder to heaven...

Monocled Falcon posted:

So Monkey Trouble threw some rocks so hard they exploded like canister shot and wiped out the entire survey corps except for the main characters. Like, wow, I've just lost complete interest in this arc. One, the whole rock throwing thing is stupid. Two, they just killed all the survey corps redshirts, so no more big fight scenes.

He crushed them before he threw them. You can see him breaking them into smaller pieces in one panel. Personally I think the rock throwing business is good writing, because they have already shown him doing this before (remember when he threw the rock from the top of the wall to collapse the tower where several of the survey corps were hanging out). It is a specialized skill that his titan form seems particularly well built for. The fact that he strategically crushes the rocks prior to throwing them to make it like a shotgun of cannonballs is pretty smart. It fits with the fact that he isn't a simple minded "warrior" like Bert and Reiner, but actually has a tactical mind.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Also they did not kill off all of the Survey Corps. You can still see Marlowe and the other newbies are still around. Hange is probably still alive as well.

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

Quite the cliffhanger to leave things on. Seems like the only way out at this point is the coordinate power, notice how Eren landed in a place and position to look over the wall and see Erwin's situation on the other side. Obviously there's no guarantees with this series, but it certainly seems poised to have Eren try to use his coordinate powers to turn the tables on Monkey Trouble.

Monocled Falcon
Oct 30, 2011

flowinprose posted:

He crushed them before he threw them. You can see him breaking them into smaller pieces in one panel. Personally I think the rock throwing business is good writing, because they have already shown him doing this before (remember when he threw the rock from the top of the wall to collapse the tower where several of the survey corps were hanging out). It is a specialized skill that his titan form seems particularly well built for. The fact that he strategically crushes the rocks prior to throwing them to make it like a shotgun of cannonballs is pretty smart. It fits with the fact that he isn't a simple minded "warrior" like Bert and Reiner, but actually has a tactical mind.

I'll amend my statement to say I don't follow the logic very well. Like I can get crushing the rocks to make a shotgun, but taking out most of the survey corps, or at least multiple squads with two rocks? You can't kill an entire flock of ducks with two shells.

MonsterEnvy posted:

Also they did not kill off all of the Survey Corps. You can still see Marlowe and the other newbies are still around. Hange is probably still alive as well.

All of Survey Corps Redshirts, meaning even if named characters begin dying off in huge numbers, we've probably seen the last large scale action scene.

Millions
Sep 13, 2007

Do you believe in heroes?
The "Eren is actually pushing back Bert's foot!!" to the kick wind-up was devastating. There are so many good small moments in this series.

Cute n Popular
Oct 12, 2012
He lured the experienced members responsible for the perimeter to a single area using smaller titans then he wiped them out with a concentrated-ish shot.

It's really difficult to tell with this manga whether Eren will finally learn how to use his coordinate or not, but I don't really see another way out with the current cast. Doesn't Levi/Erwin still have a few shots of Titan transformation potion left as well?

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

ATP_Power posted:

Quite the cliffhanger to leave things on. Seems like the only way out at this point is the coordinate power, notice how Eren landed in a place and position to look over the wall and see Erwin's situation on the other side. Obviously there's no guarantees with this series, but it certainly seems poised to have Eren try to use his coordinate powers to turn the tables on Monkey Trouble.

Don't worry is will happen on the last panel, so we have to actually wait 2 months to see how it ends.

flowinprose
Sep 11, 2001

Where were you? .... when they built that ladder to heaven...

Monocled Falcon posted:

I'll amend my statement to say I don't follow the logic very well. Like I can get crushing the rocks to make a shotgun, but taking out most of the survey corps, or at least multiple squads with two rocks? You can't kill an entire flock of ducks with two shells.

If you were shooting shells with pellets that were each half the weight of the ducks you might. Those rocks he was breaking up were huge, judging by the appearance of the houses that were being flattened to the ground by mere fragments of them.

They compare it in the manga to the enemy having "cannons." To me it looks like the fragments are probably substantially larger than typical cannonballs, which were in the range of 3-7 inches in diameter. An iron cannonball with 7-inch diameter weighs something like 40 lbs. Granted rocks would be probably less dense than iron, but suffice to say that there is a tremendous amount of force behind a one-foot diameter rock being hurled at a hundred feet per second (about 68mph). Multiply that times a couple dozen fragments being thrown at the same time... and it clearly wreaks some tremendous havoc.

Cute n Popular posted:

He lured the experienced members responsible for the perimeter to a single area using smaller titans then he wiped them out with a concentrated-ish shot.

Also this. Those guys were fairly grouped up.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
They should really make like a big sword for Erin too. They got titans, couldn't then like make a titan into a club?

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
How would you even transport around such a thing?

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Just use Hardening to magic a sword out of thin air.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Jackard posted:

Honestly, making a weapon that way in situ probably would be ideal. Who knows how much practice it'd take before Eren is able to reliably do that, though.

I don't know that making use of Eren's coordinator power is the only solution, but it certainly take something extraordinary. That's one thing I can really commend this manga for, it's good at maintaining tension. Even after the protagonists successfully staged a revolution--something that at the time seemed almost certainly doomed--they've ridden that success into yet another situation where they're almost certainly doomed.

Edit: I just had a thought: what if Eren used hardening to make manacles to tie Bert's legs together?

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

ETB posted:

My theory is Monkey Trouble and his ancestors control a small faction of military titans, while the first king's "coordinate" controls the majority of titans. At some point 100 years ago the first king decided keeping the Wall people's bloodlline as slaves was hosed up, so he built the walls and commanded all his current titan followers to surround Wall Maria and eat/kill any humans or titans with intelligence. This keeps Zeke & Co. from getting at the last of the humans, and keeps our wall friends from wandering out and being taken as titan slaves. This would explain why Grape Ape had full control of the titans he transformed in the wall, while the others kept attacking Bert and Reiner in their escape in chapter 50-57. The only way for Zeke to regain control of all these rogue titans outside the wall is by eating Eren and undoing the command.

The first king's super duper ability is probably to turn all these rogue titans back into humans, but that's no good because then Zeke can just attack and enslave everyone again. The only way for the titan threat to be absolved is if the King was able to defeat Zeke's family and followers, but that's impossible since Zeke has the support of atleast 4 other titan shifter families (Reiner, Annie, Bertholdt and whoever Ymir ate are all we know so far). There's no way the first king can defeat them with only himself as a thinker, so the titan Reisses never attempt to combat Zeke.

This arc will either end in total defeat for Eren, or Eren's friends are able to use Kenny's syringe to steal Reiner's shifting ability, thus gaining the first military advantage for the Wall people in 100 years.

Sub Harrison fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Mar 10, 2016

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Jackard posted:

Why would he do that when he can(and has) just make brass knuckles?

brotato
May 14, 2013

Cute n Popular posted:

It's really difficult to tell with this manga whether Eren will finally learn how to use his coordinate or not, but I don't really see another way out with the current cast. Doesn't Levi/Erwin still have a few shots of Titan transformation potion left as well?
I for one am excited to finally meet Eyebrow Titan.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

RatHat posted:

Why would he do that when he can(and has) just make brass knuckles?

The tactical advantage provided by longer reach?

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

my hanji steel, forged by folding my dead skin over a thousand times

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

could he construct some kind of rudimentary lathe?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
God drat, this is pretty fuckin hopeless

I'm like genuinely curious how anyone on the Colossal Titan side is gonna handle any of this poo poo

Monkey Trouble's got Levi tho, they're p much set

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Haha, this is great. I love the strategic titan fights in this comic, it's great fun. Shotgun rock blasts!

It's also once more evident that it fuckin SUCKS to be an expendable nobody in this story. Redshirt syndrome cranked up to a ridiculous degree. Also, I'm getting more and more convinced that Hange survived by taking cover under Reiner, where she conveniently murdered him while nobody was looking. Of course, everyone else in their squad had no name and is therefore hosed. :v: