Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

looks like something out of 'Labyrinth', I like it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

The Lawful-Chaotic axis is backwards and it's driving me crazy.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

paradoxGentleman posted:

On the one hand, basing a monstrous races on another people is a lovely thing to do.
On the other hand, sweet Hextor yes hobgoblin Huns

That's not exactly a new thing. Tolkien modelled orcs after the Huns

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
Tolkien borrowed some traits from a culture (the Huns) and filled in the rest with his own ~original content do not steal~. While you can draw parallels between Tolkien orcs and the Huns, they are not 1-for-1 copies of the Huns with a new coat of paint. Tolkien did not take every single stereotype he could find of a culture (like, say, Rastafarians) and then transplant them into literal, inhuman monsters (Warcraft Trolls) with little or no further creative development.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Dick Burglar posted:

Tolkien borrowed some traits from a culture (the Huns) and filled in the rest with his own ~original content do not steal~. While you can draw parallels between Tolkien orcs and the Huns, they are not 1-for-1 copies of the Huns with a new coat of paint. Tolkien did not take every single stereotype he could find of a culture (like, say, Rastafarians) and then transplant them into literal, inhuman monsters (Warcraft Trolls) with little or no further creative development.

Problem is, they really aren't Huns with a new coat of paint.
From Wikipedia

quote:

Tolkien describes Orcs explicitly in one of his Letters:

...they are (or were) squat, broad, flat-nosed, sallow-skinned, with wide mouths and slant eyes; in fact degraded and repulsive versions of the (to Europeans) least lovely Mongol-types.[15]

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
welp

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

fool_of_sound posted:

The Lawful-Chaotic axis is backwards and it's driving me crazy.

Happy?

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Thank you.

Oligopsony
May 17, 2007
My group is gearing up to play Hell's Vengeance (Paizo's "evil" adventure path), and so far we've got three PCs, all lawful evil human women:

1) A monk, specifically Sister of the Golden Erinyes, born to nobility but sent to the cloister when her family was outmaneuvered by another, now looking to go Count of Monte Cristo on them. In her early 20s, rather grim and stoic, ethnically Chelish.

2) A Tome Eater Occultist (she gets magical mojo from devouring books) employed as a state censor, who has also devoured and lost some secrets from her past. Also (probably) Chelish and on the less friendly side of things.

3) A warpriest of the god of commerce, leading a local cult in a one-horse town (she'd much rather be treating at court.) Ethnically Taldan.

Some of these admittedly aren't nailed down too firmly yet, but the right picture as always might change that.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
no idea if any of these fit the brief, but it's a few lawful evilly types

starkebn fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Feb 20, 2016

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Genius: the Transgression is a fan made WoD game that I am not sure how well it actually plays, but it's interesting to mine for ideas.

There are a bunch of different "styles" of mad science; some I'm having trouble imagining, some I'd simply like to see more of. Would anyone happen to have something that could fit into one of these categories?

quote:

Black Plastic:
A modern organic style that came about around the same time as Digital Chrome, Black Plastic encourages an
organic look to its technology (even the non-organic stuff), usually casting everything in asymmetric black
rubber that is designed to unsettle viewers. Black Plastic is a perennial favorite, with its popularity oscillating
but remaining fairly constant in the Peerage. Progenitors are very fond of this aesthetic; they often
incorporate insect motifs into their creations. A combination of Black Plastic and Trash Praxis has recently
become popular; its most common nickname is Crawling Rusty Meat.

Brutalist:
An outgrowth of the Functionalist anti-movement of the 70s, which basically said "Stop dressing up your
loving wonders and just make sure they work," the Brutalist doctrine goes one step further, encouraging a
deliberately functional and inelegant look. Wonders in this school are made from pre-fab parts, if possible,
because that's cheaper, or unpainted (or camouflage) custom parts if necessary. Components look strippeddown,
ugly, and exposed. The Brutalist style is popular with Navigators and some Mechanists, and with many
militaristic and survivalist geniuses. Exposed metal and clashing combinations of alloys and polymers are
common in this style

Clockwork:
One of the oldest aesthetics that is self-consciously an aesthetic, clockwork is exactly like it sounds: geniuses
who adhere to this style favor mechanical devices if at all possible, using springs and muscles for power and
intricate assemblages of gears for moving parts. For Axioms where this maxim might seem inapplicable, such
as Apokalypsi, Inspired employ clever mirrors and prisms. This aesthetic is of course most popular with
Mechanists, though it is also popular with many older and more traditional Inspired. An older variant, called
Baroque, mixes Clockwork with rococo fashions; it is little-practiced today.

Extropic:
The current "far future" style, with the hard edge of reality coupled with the optimistic vision of a transhuman
future, is termed Extropic. In this aesthetic, the genius focuses on advanced speculative science such as
nanotechnology, gene-line body alteration, and digital consciousness. Extropy is as much a philosophy as an
aesthetic, and the actual appearance of wonders varies, though effort is put into making technology appear
elegant, unobtrusive, and functional. But the core of the Extropic aesthetic is not the appearance, but an
approach to technology that focuses on cutting-edge research and the blurring of the concept of "human."

Macedon:
Another perennial aesthetic, dating back at least to 15th century Italians imagining what Aristotle's wonders
might have looked like, Macedon sees surges in popularity every few decades. The current return to the
spotlight is probably the fault of "Greek-punk" movies and video games, just as the previous jump began
during Hollywood's Golden Age of sword-and-sandal flicks. The Macedon aesthetic uses as its starting-point
the steam-powered machines of Hero of Alexandria. Stylistic elements include the use of bronze instead of
more advanced metals, Hellenic friezes, and intricate mirrors to engage in long-distance communication and
attack. Variant styles, based on the ancient bronze-steam-and-glass wonders of Persia, Egypt, and India have
also seen intermittent popularity; these styles are distinguished from their Alembic equivalents by being
more explicitly technological, often sporting exposed Antikythera-style clockwork.

Oscilloscope:
A popular style during the "golden age of science fiction" and a little bit beyond―from the late 40s to the late
70s―"Oscilloscope" was the first aesthetic that actually received a name, rather than "that style that the
geniuses in California are into now" or whatever. Oscilloscope style focuses on plastic, aluminum, chrome,
atomic power, jets, and radio technology. Expect big computers, angular machinery in that off-beige "old PC"
color, and track suits. It is deeply uncool among modern geniuses, and practically marks one as an Atomist, for
whom the Jet Age and Space Age dreams have yet to die. A few young geniuses have begun wearing this style
ironically, or mixing it with Extropic, but the Oscilloscope aesthetic is still associated with earlier generations.

Home Grown:
While this aesthetic got its start among underwater-themed geniuses, it has spread onto land with the rise of
modern biotechnology. The Home Grown look features organic components, subtle curves, and
bioluminescent illumination, giving it a warmer and more humane appearance than Black Plastic. It is popular
among ecologically-minded geniuses in the Peerage as well as some Oracles, and is well-regarded among
geniuses for whom the biological sciences are of primary interest. Experiments with overlapping Home
Grown and Alembic led to a short-lived fad that is now referred to (contemptuously) as Fairy Princess.

paradoxGentleman fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Feb 26, 2016

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Brutalist is probably the easiest to see. It's a style that looks like it's from '70s dystopian science fiction like Logan's Run, THX-1138, or A Clockwork Orange, largely because those movies actually used Brutalist backdrops for their setpieces. A lot of Brutalism is about simple forms but complex textures, so stuff looks like it also comes out of a video game in places.

"Black Plastic" is pretty much the inverse of Apple white, where it's all slick and smooth and glossy, with high specularity allowing you to see the contours of the device or object and rounded corners so it's easy on the touch.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?
Careful with those pics, you're going to trigger some architects in here.

The one on the bottom is an example of how even Brutalism can produce attractive architecture, but then on the OTHER hand, you have architectural atrocities like Boston City Hall.

The worst part is that Faneuil Hall is literally DIRECTLY ACROSS THE STREET from this atrocity. They stamped Scollay Square flat for THAT. If you want to make your future dystopian, build it out of Boston City Hall. No light, no warmth, no considerations for weather or aesthetics.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.

Young Freud posted:

"Black Plastic" is pretty much the inverse of Apple white, where it's all slick and smooth and glossy, with high specularity allowing you to see the contours of the device or object and rounded corners so it's easy on the touch.

The description sounded more like it was aiming for Giger-esque but didn't want to name check him for whatever reason.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Comrade Gorbash posted:

The description sounded more like it was aiming for Giger-esque but didn't want to name check him for whatever reason.

Yeah, I kind went with what I did because it sounds a lot like glossy black plastic and obsidian glass you'd find in '80s design groups, along with the cyberpunk Digital Chrome. I really didn't pick up on the Giger aspect, despite them going on about the insectoid influences in some versions of it and the organic look of things. You're probably right, it sounds a bit more Giger-esque biomechanical re-reading through that description.

"Crawling Rusty Meat" sounds like something from Tetsuo The Iron Man films, where flexible pipes, wiring, foil, and metal pieces mix inelegantly with human flesh.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

I can't believe I didn't immediately think of Giger when I read Black Plastic. It's the one thing he is most famous for.

Young Freud posted:

Brutalist is probably the easiest to see. It's a style that looks like it's from '70s dystopian science fiction like Logan's Run, THX-1138, or A Clockwork Orange, largely because those movies actually used Brutalist backdrops for their setpieces. A lot of Brutalism is about simple forms but complex textures, so stuff looks like it also comes out of a video game in places.

Thank you for this, I think I got how that stuff is supposed to look like.

Young Freud posted:

"Crawling Rusty Meat" sounds like something from Tetsuo The Iron Man films, where flexible pipes, wiring, foil, and metal pieces mix inelegantly with human flesh.

A quick Google search makes me agree with you. Jeez, how did that poor actor even move with all that crap glue all over him.

I found some Clockwork stuff on my own so I figured I'd share it.

This gives me the impression that Clockwork is either a very flexible aestetic or not an aestetic at all, given how different all of these are.

paradoxGentleman fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Feb 26, 2016

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Top, yes. Second, could do with everything outside the wing cases removing. Third and forth, both look more steampunk than clockwork. Engine driven rather than spring.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

I didn't notice any engines; although I suppose they could be somewhere in the dinosaur that are not immediately noticeable.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos
The bottom dinosaur thing is one of the Clockwork Beast arts from Magic, but I'd imagine that yellow glowing thing in the chest (and echoed in the eyes) counts as an engine.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Look for pictures of the device from Del Toro's Chronos.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Looking for Triad Gangsters. Preferably ones who could be boss or lieutenant pogs (so face visible!)

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!
Does anyone have pictures of Halfling rangers? Preferably riding dogs, goats or other tiny mounts.

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm not specifically looking for halflings but holy poo poo a halfling on a goat would own.

What I am really looking for for a buddy's campaign is fantasy characters with an East-India Company or Indiana Jones-type aesthetic. Dragonborn would be absolutely best.

Cryophage
Jan 14, 2012

what the hell is that creepy cartoon thing in your avatar?

The Crotch posted:

I'm not specifically looking for halflings but holy poo poo a halfling on a goat would own.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

I can only hope to ever be halfway as enthused about anything as this halfling.

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Are you in or are you out?
I always liked the sketches of that second one, knight of meadowgrain.

Network42
Oct 23, 2002
Post some cool 4e style warlords, TIA!

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Network42 posted:

Post some cool 4e style warlords, TIA!
So... fighters who look kind of commanding, I guess? Any race or gender preferences?

Network42
Oct 23, 2002
Literally anyone, just a leader/inspiring/tactician type fighty person.

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Well...

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
(I hope this doesn't count as leeching, and I like it when people ask for my artwork)

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

thespaceinvader posted:

(I hope this doesn't count as leeching, and I like it when people ask for my artwork)

Because your work is bloody fantastic.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Drone posted:

Because your work is bloody fantastic.

Agree. Do you happen to have it stashed somewhere on the Internet? A blog, a gallery, something like this?

Cryophage
Jan 14, 2012

what the hell is that creepy cartoon thing in your avatar?

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot
Hey, I'm looking for cocky bastards of either gender.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC

:psyduck: These are not goats. What the heck are they supposed to be.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

GenericOverusedName posted:

:psyduck: These are not goats. What the heck are they supposed to be.

Goat/Chocobo hybrids.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaPensiPraxis
Feb 7, 2013

When in france...
Choats, if you will.