Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Okay, playing with Llama now. I don't suppose you can get rid of the notification icon, or at lease make it transparent?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Change notification mode to 'ongoing (no icon)

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Skarsnik posted:

Change notification mode to 'ongoing (no icon)

Rad!

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Definitely go with Wifi based location with llama, ignore all the experimental warnings

Modern android is constantly checking Wifi networks for location already, so it's not a battery drain

Also dont use the version on the website, the lollipop 'fixes' are not actual fixes

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Mister Fister posted:

Can anyone recommend a podcast streaming app? Beyondpod is freaking weird as hell, if i try to run both Beyondpod and Google Maps, Beyondpod stops playing when i switch focus to Google Maps.

I had this problem in Lollipop, switching apps didn't fix it, only thing that worked was rebooting the phone once or twice a week.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)

uPen posted:

I had this problem in Lollipop, switching apps didn't fix it, only thing that worked was rebooting the phone once or twice a week.

Was it with BeyondPod? Because Google Music and Soundcloud work just fine with my Google Maps, it seems like it's ONLY beyondpod that does this.

I have marshmallow/Nexus 6p if that makes a difference.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Skarsnik posted:

Definitely go with Wifi based location with llama, ignore all the experimental warnings

Work doesn't provide a WiFi network for us to connect to. There's a semi-open network setup for customers, but we're not supposed to use it. Unless the WiFi based location can use WiFi I'm not connected to, it's not useful for me.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Uthor posted:

Work doesn't provide a WiFi network for us to connect to. There's a semi-open network setup for customers, but we're not supposed to use it. Unless the WiFi based location can use WiFi I'm not connected to, it's not useful for me.

You don't have to connect to it. Your phone just has to be able to see it.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Mister Fister posted:

Was it with BeyondPod? Because Google Music and Soundcloud work just fine with my Google Maps, it seems like it's ONLY beyondpod that does this.

I have marshmallow/Nexus 6p if that makes a difference.

Beyondpod and audible. Fwiw I'm now also using a 6p and run beyondpod with google maps 2+ hours a day.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

I picked up a Google Cardboard to ... well no reason. Is there anything I should check out?

Zosologist
Mar 30, 2007
Is there any decent alternatives to pushbullet for notification mirroring and texting via pc yet?Is it just mightytext and airdroid? Is pushbullet worth the price? In short: Help.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!

Zosologist posted:

Is there any decent alternatives to pushbullet for notification mirroring and texting via pc yet?Is it just mightytext and airdroid? Is pushbullet worth the price? In short: Help.

If you just need notifications and not actionable notifications, Pushbullet is probably still the way to go. Unfortunately for a heavy SMS user you probably aren't going to get away without buying a subscription for it and as a light user for whom the free service suits my needs I'll let someone compare MightyText to it.

Pushbullet is such a great multitool that I find it indispensable but I use it so infrequently that I personally couldn't see paying for it.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Zosologist posted:

Join is the free replacement for pushbullet.

hot date tonight!
Jan 13, 2009

Slippery Tilde

Whizbang posted:

Just deleted my pushbullet account, this is insanely good. It's not free, it's a one-time $5 fee. Stores all your data in your google drive though, and supports end-to-end encryption, this owns. Doesn't look like you need to join the beta anymore, it's right on the play store https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.joaomgcd.join .

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!

Astrotrain posted:

Just deleted my pushbullet account, this is insanely good. It's not free, it's a one-time $5 fee. Stores all your data in your google drive though, and supports end-to-end encryption, this owns. Doesn't look like you need to join the beta anymore, it's right on the play store https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.joaomgcd.join .

Thanks for this recommendation. My plan was to "think about it" and then forget entirely to do it when I got home but now I'm just going to do it.

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

Astrotrain posted:

Thank you!

Edit: I just installed and started using this and it's amazing, I will be buying the full version after the free trial is up. I never paid for a sub to pushbullet but I used it like crazy before they changed it, this app is amazing and a full replacement.

TwistedNails fucked around with this message at 12:13 on Mar 10, 2016

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Does Join's Windows app do texting? From their description it sounds like SMS is a browser-only thing, and I don't always have a browser open.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

hooah posted:

Does Join's Windows app do texting? From their description it sounds like SMS is a browser-only thing, and I don't always have a browser open.

What do you do with your computer then?

Just installed it. I dont see a way to do MMS, just SMS. So that sucks.

Lawson
Apr 21, 2006

You're right, I agree.
Total Clam

Whizbang posted:

I can't seem to figure out text messages. On Pushbullet, when I got a message, a popup would, uh, pop up in Chrome that would allow me to type a reply. With Join, nothing happens on the computer when I get a text. Is this possible at all in Join, and if not, why did i already pay for it?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!

hey santa baby posted:

I can't seem to figure out text messages. On Pushbullet, when I got a message, a popup would, uh, pop up in Chrome that would allow me to type a reply. With Join, nothing happens on the computer when I get a text. Is this possible at all in Join, and if not, why did i already pay for it?

On Chrome, does the diagnostic run fine? I had to create a new Chrome profile to get it to work (GCM service could not ping the computer).

Next, did you actually turn on SMS stuff on the phone? It's not enabled by default.

Lawson
Apr 21, 2006

You're right, I agree.
Total Clam

LastInLine posted:

On Chrome, does the diagnostic run fine? I had to create a new Chrome profile to get it to work (GCM service could not ping the computer).

Next, did you actually turn on SMS stuff on the phone? It's not enabled by default.

OK I had to turn it on, thanks for the help.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
Just got WhatsApp and joined a pretty active group of 60+ people. Seems like if I want to view any images / videos, it downloads it to my media folder on my phone... this is very annoying and after doing some research, it seems that on the Android version, there's nothing you can do - https://www.whatsapp.com/faq/en/android/30031687

Is that still the case?

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Mister Fister posted:

Can anyone recommend a podcast streaming app? Beyondpod is freaking weird as hell, if i try to run both Beyondpod and Google Maps, Beyondpod stops playing when i switch focus to Google Maps.

Have you tried unchecking the "pause on notification" option under player settings / automatic pause and resume? Beyondpod is weird like

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)

Party Boat posted:

Have you tried unchecking the "pause on notification" option under player settings / automatic pause and resume? Beyondpod is weird like

It started working after a reboot on my phone, which is weird because i tried rebooting before and it didn't work, but thanks.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
Someone made a Google Play Music Desktop player that has some more features than the website:

http://www.googleplaymusicdesktopplayer.com/

Looks like it takes the website and puts it in a nice wrapper so it can support some additional stuff, like themes and hotkeys. It's pretty nice, and I'll be using this until google breaks it in some horrible way.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Someone made a Google Play Music Desktop player that has some more features than the website:

http://www.googleplaymusicdesktopplayer.com/

Looks like it takes the website and puts it in a nice wrapper so it can support some additional stuff, like themes and hotkeys. It's pretty nice, and I'll be using this until google breaks it in some horrible way.

Oooh, this is pretty nifty. Thanks!

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

vyst posted:

Does anyone know of a local video player that has the ability to create playlists as well as adjust playback speed?

BSPlayer can do for ya

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!
What could posess my Dolphin Browser to start redirecting me to the corresponding play store page whenever I click a link to a website that has an app? Wikipedia, Imdb, all that poo poo. If I google search a movie then click the wikipedia result it just sends me to wikipedia play store (it seams to have searched pname:org.wikipedia in the play store) so I can install wikipedia. If I long press and open in a new tab it stays in browser and opens the mobile page. This is so weird and new. Only thing I changed was install and then deinstall a lovely face swap app. Can this be viral? If I deactivate Javascript it stops doing it. Chrome also doesn't behave that way.

niethan fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Mar 12, 2016

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

When I try to open wikipedia links in any browser, it just opens a play store page for wikipedia app. If I install the app, it has no defsults to clear. The issue persists and I have no idea how to view wikipedia in browser anymore. Is there any way to fix this retarded problem? Does android have any way to manage file/whatever associations like decent operating systems like Windows have?

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

long press the link and the click open link, it will open in the browser and not open the playstore link for the app. I have no idea what's going on but it's annoying as poo poo and just started recently

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

NOVA LAUNCHER (Prime): Out of curiosity, is there a way to make groups appear in-line in the app drawer, rather than in folders or tabs?

Yes, I know you can rename things to fake it, but A) if I didn't care about how things looked I would have stuck with Google's launcher, B) it cuts into the one line caption for your drawer icons, and C) it only lasts until the app is updated.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Mar 13, 2016

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
What's the best solution to mirror my SMS messages across my devices? I just got a Nexus 9 and now my old phone mostly just sits across the room charging while I use my tablet for just about everything I used my phone for except reading SMSes, and I don't appear to be able to use Messaging to read them on my tablet.

Casyl
Feb 19, 2012

flatluigi posted:

What's the best solution to mirror my SMS messages across my devices? I just got a Nexus 9 and now my old phone mostly just sits across the room charging while I use my tablet for just about everything I used my phone for except reading SMSes, and I don't appear to be able to use Messaging to read them on my tablet.

Pushbullet will mirror notifications to your tablet.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!

flatluigi posted:

Join.

devilwu
Feb 4, 2015
Are there any good repertory management ? I have two Google accounts and I'd like to merge my contacts into one account and delete all doubles.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

flatluigi posted:

I use MightyText for this, works pretty good.

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend

devilwu posted:

Are there any good repertory management ? I have two Google accounts and I'd like to merge my contacts into one account and delete all doubles.

Import them from one account to the other and then identify and merge duplicates.. You can do all that on Google Contacts website

devilwu
Feb 4, 2015

E.T. NO HOMO posted:

Import them from one account to the other and then identify and merge duplicates.. You can do all that on Google Contacts website

Never thought of that... well thank you !

ringu0
Feb 24, 2013

PocketCasts users, how does your battery look after about an hour of listening to the podcasts through a BlueTooth speaker? I'm wondering if I should abandon my old podcast app due to the rate it goes through the battery charge.

I got a new Nexus 6P thinking the battery in my old Nexus 5 was dying, and now I suspect it wasn't so much the battery that was dying. This is how the battery of my new phone looks after about an hour of using DoggCatcher (30% drop):

A bit of :goonsay: : the graph pretty clearly consists of four segments. The first one is Google Play Music (see below), and a bit of idle time. Then the battery took the first hit when I was listening to the podcasts while going through the morning routine. The the phone idled for a bit, and the battery took the second hit, when I was listening to the podcasts while driving to work.

This is what I consider to be the normal power consumption: an hour of a random Google Play Music stream (3% drop):

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this
Oh my gosh, switch to pocket casts. You won't have a problem and it will be a lot prettier.