Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Mechafunkzilla posted:

:stare:

That is horrifying and now I'm feeling pretty good about getting takeout Indian food tonight instead of going to train.

I trained while hungover and I farted from the impact of a throw.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

I'm on the hunt for a jiu jitsu school after taking way too much time off from martial arts after becoming a (fat) dad. My plan is to take whatever free trial classes that are offered at the schools that are reasonably close to me and see how I like the vibe. Any pointers as to what I should look for in a good club? I know I want to go somewhere that rolls as much as possible, but what else should I be looking for?

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Gramps posted:

I'm on the hunt for a jiu jitsu school after taking way too much time off from martial arts after becoming a (fat) dad. My plan is to take whatever free trial classes that are offered at the schools that are reasonably close to me and see how I like the vibe. Any pointers as to what I should look for in a good club? I know I want to go somewhere that rolls as much as possible, but what else should I be looking for?

Where do you live?

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!

Gramps posted:

I'm only two weeks in but my suggestion would be to do thorough research before you join a spot. I'm very happy with the gym that I found and it was probably the 5th one I thought about. It's only a little farther away than the others but between it and the school I was thinking about joining it has better high level instructors, a better vibe, better facility, and is cheaper somehow. Drop ins are great for taking in the vibe of a school.

All of this is reminding me of a post earlier in the thread when a guy asked ,me why the vibe of the students/ wanting to be around people my age (20s/30s) was part of my criteria. I'm not looking to make best friends, but my new gym is extremely chill and it makes things a lot more fun to spend 3-4 hours a week with people you enjoy. There are younger and older people as well but it's not as skewed as some other gyms I checked out. Both the younger and older crowd are cooler at my gym too so everything's all good.

1st AD posted:

Are you talking about weight lifting? I have a book titled "Becoming a Supple Leopard" and it has a bunch of mobility exercises you can do which should help with flexibility.

Yea I was mainly talking about lifting. I do meat and potato lifts and was wondering if there was anything worth throwing into the routine. My flexibility is pretty bad and has been since I was a kid, I was wondering if training would help me be more felxible or if I should look into further exercise outside the gym.

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Where do you live?

CT- Simsbury specifically. The 2 schools currently on my radar are this one and this one. I met the owner of the school behind that 2nd link and he seems like a nice dude. Apparently the dude who owns the school behind the first link used to train under him and now there's drama (surprise surprise). I wish there was a Renzo affiliated school nearby, but I'll take what I can get. I really just want to get back at it and not train with a bunch of idiots who injure me all the time.

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009

Gramps posted:

CT- Simsbury specifically. The 2 schools currently on my radar are this one and this one. I met the owner of the school behind that 2nd link and he seems like a nice dude. Apparently the dude who owns the school behind the first link used to train under him and now there's drama (surprise surprise). I wish there was a Renzo affiliated school nearby, but I'll take what I can get. I really just want to get back at it and not train with a bunch of idiots who injure me all the time.

First one's a Macarra affiliate and that dude is Renzo's brother-in-law. Now Macarra himself is down in Norwalk so you probably won't see him too often, but if he puts his name on it that does count for something.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

Seltzer posted:

My flexibility is pretty bad and has been since I was a kid, I was wondering if training would help me be more felxible or if I should look into further exercise outside the gym.

You should be stretching every day.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
While we are on the subject of wrestling, I was wondering what the wrestler guys in this thread have to recommend on instructionals? I'd like to get a good quality instructor that properly explains a proper system for the standing game as I've taken an interest to No-Gi grappling much more than the gi.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Seltzer posted:

Yea I was mainly talking about lifting. I do meat and potato lifts and was wondering if there was anything worth throwing into the routine. My flexibility is pretty bad and has been since I was a kid, I was wondering if training would help me be more felxible or if I should look into further exercise outside the gym.

If you have mobility issues you should work on this outside of the gym. Supple Leopard is a good resource, but there's a ton of good materials out there on mobility exercises.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004
So we had a 10th planet visitor last night and of course I'm all excited and interested and like "so where do you start, rubber guard, lock down, just doing the drills, what?" and he says "idk man, we just mainly all do leglocks" lol

Mr. Pool
Jul 10, 2001
Feeling pretty good about my tournament next weekend. Stepped up my schedule to advanced class and sparring 4-5 days/wk for the last month and my cardio is the best in recent memory. Just doing lots of rounds with blue belts switching on me. Twice last night I took someone's back, and they scooted out over my leg on the choke arm side (may back mount is pretty garbage). But I hit the transition to an arm triangle and got a tap. I freaking love that move.

Mardragon
Mar 4, 2004
Cinderella boy... Out of nowhere...
Yam Slacker

Odddzy posted:

While we are on the subject of wrestling, I was wondering what the wrestler guys in this thread have to recommend on instructionals? I'd like to get a good quality instructor that properly explains a proper system for the standing game as I've taken an interest to No-Gi grappling much more than the gi.

I find the Barry Davis videos to be pretty good and also pretty free. Here's the link to the youtube, some of the older videos are the best although the audio sucks all of them are worth watching in my opinion, especially the drills:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=user?BarryDavisWrestling?videos

Here's one on stance:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7eFdRJmRYeQ

Here's one on sprawling:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4j8F4bi5QQ8

Double leg takedowns part 1:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UsUclOxuAos

Part 2:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGrQUwgaJIs

I've also heard the Kary Kolat videos are good but you have to pay for them.

Mardragon
Mar 4, 2004
Cinderella boy... Out of nowhere...
Yam Slacker
John Smith also has done some great videos:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_IMwQI_zt4

Although I don't think he has them all in one spot this youtube channel has some good videos for wrestling from John Smith and others:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=channel?UCaCRCcO6gxXZDmkXXn4mY3w

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Full list of NCAA Wrestling D1 qualifiers was released today. Seeds and brackets come out tomorrow. Tournament is next Thursday-Saturday. I'll have an effort post up for it early next week. Get Hype.

Teams to qualify all 10 weight classes: Nebraska, Oklahoma State, Rutgers
Teams to qualify 9: Cornell, Iowa, Lehigh, Missouri, Penn State
Teams to qualify 8: NC State, Ohio State, Virginia Tech
Teams to qualify 7: Central Michigan, Michigan, North Carolina
Teams to qualify 6: Arizona State, Bucknell, Chattanooga, Edinburo, Illinois, Iowa State, Oklahoma, Oregon State, Pitt, Rider, Stanford
Teams to qualify 5: Army, CSU-Bakerfield, Kent State, Minnesota, Navy, Ohio, Princeton, SDSU, UNI, Virginia, Wisconsin
Teams to qualify 4: Appalachian State, Duke, Eastern Michigan, Northern Illinois, Penn, West Virginia
Teams to qualify 3: American, Buffalo, Columbia, Drexel, Gardner-Webb, Harvard, NDSU, Northwestern, Old Dominion, Purdue, Wyoming
Teams to qualify 2: Air Force, Binghamton, Boise State, Brown, Campbell, Clarion, Cleveland State, Franklin & Marshall, Hofstra, Indiana, Lock Haven, Southern Illinois - Edwardsville, Utah Valley
Teams to qualify 1: George Mason, Maryland, Michigan State, Northern Colorado, The Citadel, VMI
Teams to qualify 0: Bloomsburg, Cal Poly, Davidson, Sacred Heart.

Thoguh fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Mar 9, 2016

JHomer722
Jul 30, 2006

And you, you ridiculous people, you expect me to help you.

Huh, I didn't realize Rutgers had that strong a program, or at least that strong of a lineup.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Is there any way to strengthen the knee against rotational strains? I've got a mild but persistent (a few days) rotational strain in a knee right now and I'm trying to decide if I should lift weights on it or not.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

JHomer722 posted:

Huh, I didn't realize Rutgers had that strong a program, or at least that strong of a lineup.

More of option 2. They've only got a couple top ten guys and Anthony Ashnualt at 141 is the only guy that has a shot to make the finals, but mostly they just don't have any bad guys in their lineup. Nebraska is similar. Neither are expected to finish in the top ten but when your whole team is there it's a lot easier to overperform.

Oklahoma State, on the other hand, is definitely expecting to get points out of all ten of their guys.

Mr. Pool
Jul 10, 2001
Jits last night was cross collar attacks and defense from the mount. This involved drilling / sparring with a strong old dude with a huge gut. Maintaining mount was.... difficult. Imagine trying to drive hip pressure and stay stable on a goddamn exercise ball. Side mount worked fine. but trying to get out from underneath him was also nigh impossible. Good to train with various body types though!!!

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
Just pretend you're riding a horse.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Let myself get diaphragm choked today. I did a round of randori with our teacher and he settled into kesa gatame right on the sweet spot. Jesus loving Christ it was terrifying, it took me minutes to stop hyperventilating afterwards. I don't ever want to end up there again. :gonk:

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Siivola posted:

Let myself get diaphragm choked today. I did a round of randori with our teacher and he settled into kesa gatame right on the sweet spot. Jesus loving Christ it was terrifying, it took me minutes to stop hyperventilating afterwards. I don't ever want to end up there again. :gonk:

We call that the fat man chokeat my school for obvious reasons

Skjorte
Jul 5, 2010
Here's a super long and dumb post to ask a simple BJJ etiquette question:

I'm recently getting back into training after a long time away. This week, I brought a friend who's super small for my club (the lightest guys there are probably around 170, and every one who isn't me is in really good shape, too), but who's expressed interest in learning to grapple for a long time. The first time went super well. Although he was the only flyweight-sized adult there, there were a couple of girls and a few kids there that he was able to roll with. He had a blast. He did aikido some years back, so he knows how to fall, but that's pretty much where his grappling knowledge begins and ends. He's still trying to figure out what "get in my guard" and all that stuff means.

Anyways, today there were only guys significantly bigger than him there. I have 50+ pounds on him, so I mainly played defense and tried to introduce him to some of the basic positions. Then we switched partners, and he got paired up with a relatively new, but extremely dedicated and very talented guy. I've only rolled with him once, but he would hold submissions (neck cranks, mostly) for a second after I tapped because he wanted to "get it just right" or something--unfortunately, I'd forgotten that when they paired up. After the class was over, I asked my friend if he was doing okay physically, and he said his foot and knee were bothering him. Apparently he'd been leg locked a number of times despite telling the guy that he was a complete beginner and asking him to go easy. He also fell victim to the "why are you tapping now? See how much tighter it is when I do this!" treatment.

Last class, our instructor said "please no leg locks or neck cranks on new guys." Our instructor today didn't. It's been a long time since I went there regularly, so I don't know what the etiquette for that kind of stuff is, and I don't want to create any unnecessary drama. Still, I kinda embarrassed my friend by walking up to the guy to try to, politely, let him know that my friend literally doesn't know the difference between mount and guard, how even basic submissions feel, etc., and so he probably shouldn't be put in full-on leg locks at this point. The guy told me he only did straight ankle locks, which he claimed can't injure you if you tap before you snap. Although my friend was clearly in some pain after those submissions, I had to admit I didn't know enough about leg locks to argue the point, or about BJJ etiquette to be sure I wasn't being an rear end in a top hat, so I dropped the issue and just asked him to show us the escape, since he clearly wasn't keen on not hitting ankle locks all the time.

So, yeah, I dunno, I just feel weird about it. Was I being needlessly coddling, or should I tell my friend to avoid rolling with that guy in the future?

Skjorte fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Mar 9, 2016

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

TL;DR that guy is a loving dickhead. Bring it up to the instructor and don't roll with that guy. He could easily injure someone, he's creating an unpleasant gym environment. At my gym if there is someone like that, they roll with purple, brown, and black belts until they learn their lesson.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Skjorte posted:

He also fell victim to the "why are you tapping now? See how much tighter it is when I do this!" treatment.
This guy can go gently caress off.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Skjorte posted:

So, yeah, I dunno, I just feel weird about it. Was I being needlessly coddling, or should I tell my friend to avoid rolling with that guy in the future?

I'm basically your friend in terms of size and available training partners. Tell him to avoid rolling with big twitchy guys. Tell him to be willing to tap to discomfort or position. I have one guy who I don't roll with at all anymore for these reasons.

The other guy is a dickhead who shouldn't be allowed grapplefuns. A tap is a tap is a tap. That's the one loving universal rule. The one rule.

Skjorte
Jul 5, 2010
Haha, I mean, -I- thought he was being a dickhead, but I'm older and nowhere near as used to athletic environments as pretty much everyone else there. I won't roll with anyone who I feel uncomfortable with, but I didn't know if that type of behavior was egregious enough to bring it up to the instructor. It's a no gi (beginner's) class, with a purple as an instructor, so although I can't be sure, I don't think we have anyone in class who's higher than blue, unfortunately. Not a lot of high level BJJ guys in my country yet.

Thank you all for convincing me I wasn't being an irrational poo poo-stirrer. :)

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

Skjorte posted:

Haha, I mean, -I- thought he was being a dickhead, but I'm older and nowhere near as used to athletic environments as pretty much everyone else there. I won't roll with anyone who I feel uncomfortable with, but I didn't know if that type of behavior was egregious enough to bring it up to the instructor. It's a no gi (beginner's) class, with a purple as an instructor, so although I can't be sure, I don't think we have anyone in class who's higher than blue, unfortunately. Not a lot of high level BJJ guys in my country yet.

In a beginners class that type of stuff is pretty bad because its the blind leading the blind and a lot of times a big athletic blue belt or whatever will act like a dick because theres no one to keep them in line. Though if youre brand new and know nothing about grappling and are smaller than everyone else poo poo happens sometimes, at least your friend didnt get injured

Sometimes im the "why are you tapping out" guy, I always tap early but there are some guys who do the thing where as soon as youre in position for a sub they just tap ("you were about to get me soon anyway") and i have to explain thats a lovely way to train, if you were just gonna tap as soon as you felt like theres a chance you might get submitted just skip rolling altogether and tap before you start

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

manyak posted:

Sometimes im the "why are you tapping out" guy, I always tap early but there are some guys who do the thing where as soon as youre in position for a sub they just tap ("you were about to get me soon anyway") and i have to explain thats a lovely way to train, if you were just gonna tap as soon as you felt like theres a chance you might get submitted just skip rolling altogether and tap before you start

Because if they don't know how to defend things get broken. Don't be a dick and teach them the defense instead of saying "why are you tapping"

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

JaySB posted:

Because if they don't know how to defend things get broken. Don't be a dick and teach them the defense instead of saying "why are you tapping"

I do, im talking about them doing stuff like tapping to a head and arm choke as soon as its anywhere near locked up, because they dont like feeling uncomfortable, which results in them never actually getting good at the defense and the other guy never getting to practice actually finishing a submission

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

manyak posted:

I do, im talking about them doing stuff like tapping to a head and arm choke as soon as its anywhere near locked up, because they dont like feeling uncomfortable, which results in them never actually getting good at the defense and the other guy never getting to practice actually finishing a submission

Fair, chokes are different.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

manyak posted:

This is for the coach to tell them, not you -- especially not when you're the one sparring with them.

manyak posted:

In that case, ease up after the tap and tell them to work out of the position if you're concerned about them practicing their defense. If you want to work on finishing at speed then do it with sparring partners who actually want to go hard.

Mechafunkzilla fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Mar 9, 2016

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

Mechafunkzilla posted:

This is for the coach to tell them, not you -- especially not when you're the one sparring with them.

In that case, ease up after the tap and tell them to work out of the position if you're concerned about them practicing their defense. If you want to work on finishing at speed then do it with sparring partners who actually want to go hard.

I do both of those, come on man

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Hey, since a Finnish lady won gold at the freestyle European championships earlier today, I'm suddenly interested in wrestling. Freestyle is actually pretty fun to watch, but I feel like it'd be even more fun with submissions. So, is catch enough of a thing to have competition videos on Youtube, or should I just go look for something else?

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Siivola posted:

Hey, since a Finnish lady won gold at the freestyle European championships earlier today, I'm suddenly interested in wrestling. Freestyle is actually pretty fun to watch, but I feel like it'd be even more fun with submissions. So, is catch enough of a thing to have competition videos on Youtube, or should I just go look for something else?

Just watch ADCC or EBI or sambo or something.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Siivola posted:

Sambo maybe? Adding submissions would turn it in to something unrecognizable as Freestyle or Greco. Exposing your back to your opponent is fine in olympic wrestling, but exposing your back to the mat is a big deal. I don't know how you'd reconcile that with allowing submissions since you'd have nowhere to go once you hit the mat. Expose your back to your opponent and you give up a submission. Expose your back to the mat and you give up nearfall points and probably a touchfall.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
For example here's a leg lace, one of the signature moves in Freestyle wrestling.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sdZofpTnyis

I mean, I do it sometimes in BJJ when I'm loving around during a roll, but it doesn't actually translate over to submission wrestling. If somebody was giving you their back like that and subs were allowed you'd just do any of the 1,000 high percentage submission techniques available to you.

Thoguh fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Mar 9, 2016

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

Thoguh posted:

For example here's a leg lace, one of the signature moves in Freestyle wrestling.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sdZofpTnyis

I mean, I do it sometimes in BJJ when I'm loving around during a roll, but it doesn't actually translate over to submission wrestling. If somebody was giving you their back like that and subs were allowed you'd just do any of the 1,000 high percentage submission techniques available to you.

Sometimes just for shits I'll cradle a guy that's turtling. But in all reality if you can get your arm deep enough to cradle a guy you're deep enough to D'arce. And there's not really anything you can do from cradling a guy. In order to attack or change position you have to give up the control of the cradle.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

I get that adding submissions would obviously make a wrestling match play a lot different. I don't need the exact freestyle rules, I just... Like the dynamic of the matches, I dunno. I guess what I'm looking for is a ruleset where people don't wear jackets, can win by either pin or submission and where the ref stands people up if he gets bored. The pin doesn't have to be the one second Olympic pin, you can make it longer.

So uh, I should just start watching pro wrestling I guess. :v:

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Siivola posted:

I get that adding submissions would obviously make a wrestling match play a lot different. I don't need the exact freestyle rules, I just... Like the dynamic of the matches, I dunno. I guess what I'm looking for is a ruleset where people don't wear jackets, can win by either pin or submission and where the ref stands people up if he gets bored. The pin doesn't have to be the one second Olympic pin, you can make it longer.

So uh, I should just start watching pro wrestling I guess. :v:

You're describing catch wrestling. The biggest international org with catch-type rules is probably Combat Wrestling out of Japan, so you can try looking for footage of their tournaments online. You can't win by pin, but you do get points which strongly discourages playing guard and there are rules for standing up due to inactivity.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOZHj5aTcqg

In North America there's also Snake Pit USA and the ISWA who run tournaments.

Mechafunkzilla fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Mar 10, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
NCAA Championships seeds and brackets came out this evening. Get hype.