Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Captain Foo posted:

Josiah, Marcus tolerates your presence, but who wants you loving gone? Marcus is shrewd but he's not that hard, not really...so you think you'll be able to stick around?

Oh I know he's going to rat me out first chance he gets that'll make more sense than my sorry rear end. The biggest problem? At the moment that problem has a name and it's name is Big Lowe. Likes to make a claim about being the biggest man in some parts of the strip, brings up the whole "law and order" business on occasion. So what if Garn likes to have a quick drink and some morons teeth get broken, its not my goddamn problem, kids not a loving dog to tie up outside. But I know the fucker wants what I got, seen him sniffing around Chloe, the nasty little piece of poo poo that he is. But there something more, something behind the eyes that tells me I'm going to be heading into Brainer territory soon, and I only know of Zeke up in the mountains. So we've got an invisible loving brainer in town, which just makes me wonder, what the gently caress is going on with the turf war.

I'll stick it out though, I've not just got Marcus, made a few contacts here and there, people like having poo poo fixed and jingle spent in towns, they like somewhere to chat and sit, and I know full well I'll still be here in 2 years if I want to be. It ain't just pride talking either, the As Yet is a tough old piece of junk, even if we do have to make a break for it, it's not like we can't swing back.

quote:

Josiah
You could say I'm a bit inspired myself...
THE FINGER PUPPETS ARE REVOLTING AGAINST ME!
WHat you got against the Maelstrom?

I have nothing against her, but I know that she don't like to be disturbed and she chooses who she want's. But the Illuminated? She thinks that everyone needs to know the endless "joy" she found in it's heart, the pulsing beat of the end of days when the skin sloughs from us all. Its creepy, and the words, when you say it it sounds like something else is speaking through you and trying to crawl inside of you. Its why Chloe don't talk much, she was closer to the Illuminated and... well she's kind of worried about talking in case something crawls into her body via words. Shame too, she was a lovely singer.

I don't suppose you know someone by the name of Ethawel do you, man? Tall man, long coat, talks a lot like you but was a dab hand with a syringe if you get my drift.

DocBubonic posted:

Josiah What brought you to the door of my place?

You drat well know why I am here you shifty bastard, I need the goddamn chems for Chloes brain medication and I swear if you've traded them for another fake goddamn silencer I am going to find a bigger boot so that the imprint on your rear end is deeper than last time.

That and I brought cards. Fancy a game?

Hurricane
I think I've met you before kid. Which way did you come to end up here?

Josef bugman fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Mar 10, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Josef bugman posted:

I don't suppose you know someone by the name of Ethawel do you, man? Tall man, long coat, talks a lot like you but was a dab hand with a syringe if you get my drift.

I have drifted with the mighty mighty needle man, may his chems be everflowing. For the price of a story he gave me a vacation in a bottle. I spent a wonderful week in wispy nowhere land with my original face. That was a good time and I paid him back by dancing on the spine of an unfriendly customer. Then we had drinks.

Key, where's Peele?

suicide4sexbots
Jul 24, 2015

caught in a hyperloop,
spun out into static -
you were never there,
i was never here

so why does my car
still smell like ass
College Slice

PoultryGeist posted:

Nekoda: Sooooo, why has Donner-bro been coming to you on the downlow? Something the Big Sister (aka me) should know about?

What? He didn't... I mean I was trying to... Like we just, um...

Okay, for real though. Normally I keep client information confidential, y'know. Business expectations. What happens on my table stays on the table. Unless its fungal; then you're probably gonna be a repeater. Really hard to zap those kinds of infections these days. Anywho, I can tell you're the type who sees through most weak poo poo, and I'm like the worst liar ever. Besides, it may actually keep things cooler around here if you're in the know. People start pegging weaknesses in the powers that be, and there's inevitably trouble. And more trouble means more assholes on my slab, assholes who like to carry credit for-loving-ever. *ahem* [waits a beat giving raised eyebrows to Baby-Boss]

Yeah, so. Donner-bro came to me a few weeks ago to check on the recovery of a dislocated shoulder he had popped back in. I know your guys are tough, so I prodded him a little to see what he had really come for. He acts all gruff for a tick, then literally starts bawling on my shoulder. Turned out his dog Road Grits had taken some fire on one of your jobs and got rocked by a shot to the gut. After the scrap, Donny tried to stop the bleeding, but it was too late. The poor little guy gave a last, pained whimper, and died in his master's arms, his cute shaggy head still looking up pleadingly at his owner's eyes, tongue all lolling off to the side. D-bro was totes wrecked. He said he felt like you didn't even acknowledge the loss, then gave him poo poo for wanting to bail early on the Colonel Crocker shindig so he could have some time to grieve and bury ol' Grits.

Now how you handle your crew is up to you, but I don't have enough uppers to fill all their bellies. Cut them some slack once and a while, yeah? Just because you're a leader doesn't mean you can't listen and sympathize; being too impersonal can estrange you from the group, and then you get folks like Mario-bro who wanna reboot your empire. Yeah, D-bro told me about the in-fighting. We've talked a lot since I got him on a steady diet of Jump. He's doing better. Much better... hehe

Now that I've laid out what was on my table on the proverbial table, I think you've got your answer. As for what was on my bed... welp, sorry that door is off limits! (Despite what some misinformed people may tell you) Since I was real with you, be real with me and don't say anything, 'kay? Oh and I'm serious about my payments. Want your boo-boos dealt with? Here's an equation even a biker can understand:

code:
Chems + Medical Equipment = Heals
Injury / Compensation - My Supplies = brokefuckingdoctor
brokefuckingdoctor = Bad poo poo With No Solution

DocBubonic posted:

Nekoda I know we're both competing for the same shrapnel catchers, but do you think we can put that aside when we get down to indulging our vices?

Dude, there is a couch at my place with your name on it - anytime! Us stitch-mongers gotta squad, right? I didn't even know you rolled! I bet you would be fun as hell to swap war stories with. Ever seen what getting a butt enema with moonshine whilst being afflicted with a 6-month, boiling battle with hemorrhoids looks like? Yeah, just ask The Tiff. Remember last week when she wore sweatpants for 4 days straight? Diapers.

Eh? What's that look for?

Right ... okay, so your turn. What's the worst case of apocalyptic mess that came through your door?

suicide4sexbots fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Mar 10, 2016

PoultryGeist
Feb 27, 2013

Crystals?

Error 404 posted:

Baby-Boss:
rubble roaming raised red ranges
right as rain in several stages
danger dings in darkest days-es

Wasteland motherfucker, do you speak it?

blank stare
looks back at the Sworn Brotherhood
The Brothers shrug

Dude, I’m gonna be super-polite because I’d like to keep my guts on the inside, but I have no idea what the hell you’re saying.

Josiah: Hey man, you’ve got yourself a sweet-sounding rumbler under the bonnet there. You getting your guzzline from The Boss or do you got yourself another source?

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Tempora mutantur, et nos mutamur in illis

Josef bugman posted:

You drat well know why I am here you shifty bastard, I need the goddamn chems for Chloes brain medication and I swear if you've traded them for another fake goddamn silencer I am going to find a bigger boot so that the imprint on your rear end is deeper than last time.

That and I brought cards. Fancy a game?

You know me, I'm always up for a game. Just can't put meds up for bets. Droge won't let me do that again. Course I got plenty of other items. Take just about anything for payment. Figure anything worth value will have a value to someone. Even if its not me.

Error 404 posted:

Key, where's Peele?

Peele? Don't know nobody by that name. Why you bring that name up? You hear something? If you did, its probably not true.

Nekoda If I didn't know better, I'd think you're jealous of The Tiff or something. Ain't like she's got anything on you! No way she can match up with you. She might be able to slap on a patch and kiss it and make it feel better, but its not like she could stitch up some poor bastard who took a sucking chest wound and is holding their entrails like a baby. poo poo, probably looks like those hemorrhoids before you got to it.

Worse thing I've seen? Its the walking dead. I ain't saying corpses that get up and start walking, I'm talking about people that just oughta lay down and die already. drat! I give those people credit. When they come to see me, the Grim Reaper is standing behind him tapping his foot waiting for the person to drop. Worst of the walking dead are the fuckers who got a big taste of rads. Some of them got to the point where there is no coming back. Sores looking black as night, bits of skin hanging off their bodies, dripping liquids that no human should be dripping and the smell! Its worse then rotten meat and just sticks in your nose. When I get a person like this and they got the payment, I can't turn 'em away. That's the deal. They pay, I make it better. I do what I can, but at a certain point there is no way I can make it better for them. And at that point all I can do is make what ever is left of their life comfortable.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.
Director Redstone

The End is coming!

That's right. Gagarin's End has crawled all the way across the wide open lands, crushing any that stood in its way beneath its massive treads, or blew them apart with the Big Guns. My Cosmonuts have smashed countless foes and sacked numberless holds along our Long March.

If you've got trouble, if you need protection, you can hide behind our heat-shields while the Cosmonuts tear your foes to kingdom come. If you want trouble, well - you'll be seeing our rockets red glare soon enough.

And if you've heard of any fallen skyfacts, of salvage fallen from space veiled in fire, you come and tell me, and I will make it worth your while. The Directors have always sought treasures from our glorious past. I myself took my throne name from one our most holy icons.

Speaking of the icons - if you've got real guts, then volunteer for the Corps. The first Cosmonut to pierce the sky and return to alive will be rewarded beyond their wildest dreams! For our return to the stars is foretold, and we will conquer the black again, riding pillars of flame!

Hardholder posted:

Stats: Cool+1, Hard+2, Hot+1, Sharp+1, Weird-2
Look: Woman, junta wear, stern face, commanding eyes, massive body

Moves:
Leadership: when your gang fights for you, roll+hard. On a 10+, hold 3. On a 7–9, hold 1. Over the course of the fight, spend your hold 1 for 1 to make your gang:
• make a hard advance
• stand strong against a hard advance
• make an organized retreat
• show mercy to their defeated enemies
• fight and die to the last
On a miss, your gang turns on you or tries to hand you over to your enemy.

Wealth: If your hold is secure and your rule unchallenged, at the beginning of the session, roll+hard. On a 10+, you have surplus at hand and available for the needs of the session. On a 7–9, you have surplus, but choose 1 want. On a miss, or if your hold is compromised or your rule contested, your hold is in want. e precise values of your surplus and want depend on your holding, as follows.

Gear:
smg (2-harm close area loud), personal fashion (1-armor)

Hx:

Gagarin's End

Hold posted:

• ~100 souls
• for gigs, a mix of hunting, crude farming, and scavenging (surplus: 1-barter, want: hungry).
• a makeshift compound of concrete, sheet metal and rebar. Your gang gets +1armor when fighting in its defense.
• a gang of about 60 violent people (4-harm gang large unruly 1-armor).

• for gigs, add lucrative raiding. Surplus: +1barter, want: +reprisals.
• for gigs, add protection tribute. Surplus: +1barter, want: +obligation.
• your gang is large instead of medium, 60 violent people or so.
• your armory is sophisticated and extensive. Your gang gets +1harm.

• your gang is a pack of loving hyenas. Want: savagery.
• your population is lazy and drug-stupored. Want: +famine.

Formerly a crawler-transport for moving heavy rockets to their launch pads, Gagarin's End is a mobile fortress. It's progress is slow, but inexorable. It's populace still dreams of the stars, but these days the End's rockets are deployed for war. The Cosmonuts are fearsome raiders, and its Director extorts fixed settlements shamelessly - after all, eventually the fortress will move on, so why risk open war? Especially with the Big Guns to contend with. A complete turret, salvaged from some mighty warship of the old days. Who knows how many shells that thing still has? Best to keep your head down - and hope the assholes blow themselves up next time they point a rocket towards the sky with someone strapped to it, and pretend they're still part of something more than cargo cult savages.

Comrade Gorbash fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Mar 10, 2016

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Now for something different. Don't normally do a second character submission, but I got a thought in my head about a Skinner.

Jorge Luis Borges posted:

On the Floor, and hanging on to the bar, squatted an old man, immobile as an object. His years had reduced and polished him as water does a stone or the generations of men do a sentence. He was dark, dried up, diminutive, and seemed outside time, situated in eternity

Hide
Skinner

Look: Ambiguous, Showy scrounge wear, Strange face, Shadowed eyes, Calloused, Unnatural

Stats Cool=0 Hard=0 Hot=+2 Weird+1

Skinner Moves
Breathtaking: you get +1hot (hot+3).

Lost: when you whisper someone’s name to the world’s psychic maelstrom, roll+weird. On a hit, they come to you, with or without any clear explanation why. On a 10+, take +1forward against them. On a miss, the MC will ask you 3 questions; answer them truthfully.

Gear
You get:
• 1 gracious weapon - hidden knives (2-harm hand infinite)
• 2 luxe gear - spectacular art (implanted) and a pet (Raoul, the bartender)
• oddments worth 1-barter - Antiques and oddities of another time
• fashion suitable to your look - Old worn furniture, a chalkboard for messages, an old juke box that still plays, numerous knick knacks and other decorations suitable for whatever the mood.

I been here since before I can remember. No one alive would have known me before, in the long ago back before I knew I existed. Reaching back through time, back to the previous times, I remember how things were different. I stood back then and they came to me. Popularity? Oh yes, I was popular. Many people came to me. Now, I barely remember them. I have mementos of those have passed. They decorate me, like shrines to their world. For reasons that I can no longer (or maybe I don't want to) the world changed. The people of the time before went away. I survived. Perhaps they built me stronger then others. I don't know. I continued to stand while history went by me. And then people came back to me. It was a joyous time. I embraced the new comers. They were strange and what they brought in taught me the world had become even stranger. I didn't care, I only enjoyed being around people again. And then I realized something special. I was no longer merely an observer, I could interact with people now. Ah, but it wasn't like how they communicate. I could speak, but it was through an old juke box's music, the writing on the chalkboard by the bar, and sometimes even objects move. Of those who came to me, some discovered I was alive, while others deny that such a thing as I can exist. My being is my own and is not tied to what anyone thinks. Fortunately, I've found a delightful person by the name of Raoul. Raoul took care of me. He cleaned and took care of those who came to me. I in return take care of him. That is when I can. Due to forces beyond my understanding, I am able to reach out and bring people to me. They feel a need to come to me and then I can interact with them. So Raoul takes care of me and I take care of him as best I can.

This character is a cellar pub that was built before the world exploded. He became sentient and the maelstrom gave him the ability to do more than to merely watch as things happened. One day Raoul came in and the two started talking. Raoul decided to take care of the bar and the bar takes care of him. I understand if this character is a bit too weird for the game.

DocBubonic fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Mar 10, 2016

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Doc: gonna have to think about it. Great concept, not sure I'm sure I'd know how to make it work!

Director Redstone, you're not one to back down. But why didn't you crush Jonkstown when you said you would? Did it have to do with Shannone? Who agreed with you, and who didn't?

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!
Are you still taking apps? Might whip something up tomorrow.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

PoultryGeist posted:

Josiah: Hey man, you’ve got yourself a sweet-sounding rumbler under the bonnet there. You getting your guzzline from The Boss or do you got yourself another source?

It's not guz it runs on. I was shocked too when we first found her, but she actually runs on sunlight. I was as shocked as anyone when we figured it out, see I think she had some sort of weirdness in her, found her when some scavvys I was dealing with had her all tied up in a cave and gave it to me after their priest got ventilated during a raiding run. The cave had stopped her from working and it's taken me a few years to get her working just right, but she's back on her feet at least.

I don't suppose you've got a bead on any more of those bikes, I can do repair jobs as well as anyone alive, but I'd like to build a little fleet of bikes of my own if I ever got the jingle.

Error 404 posted:

I have drifted with the mighty mighty needle man, may his chems be everflowing. For the price of a story he gave me a vacation in a bottle. I spent a wonderful week in wispy nowhere land with my original face. That was a good time and I paid him back by dancing on the spine of an unfriendly customer. Then we had drinks.

Yeah, he's a good guy, haven't seen him for a while and I'd kind of assumed he'd headed a bit further West but I'm glad to hear he's still got the chems and a sense of decency to give 'em for a job well done.

Redstone
Ah poo poo, look Director I know that your dealing with some stuff and we need to get back into the black. But if your boy Yura tries to do what he did to Skaz then I am not going to be able to keep working on the rockets red glare any more. Sure you can threaten me, but we both know that if your boys keep setting off like this, we are all going to be having trouble.

Nekoda
They say your homestash got raided and burned, anything your able to tell me about the raiders? Any of them have anything really off about them, laughing as they died maybe? Because if this poo poo starts cropping up again we are going to all need to start working poo poo out.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Captain Foo posted:

Director Redstone, you're not one to back down. But why didn't you crush Jonkstown when you said you would? Did it have to do with Shannone? Who agreed with you, and who didn't?

Shannone was part of it, but not the way you're implying. The Directorship and the Mission come first. But yes, she made it so I no longer needed to smash that hold under the treads of The End.

She came to me with something I sorely needed: rocket fuel. The Wrenchers of Jonkstown, Shannone first among them, repaired a distillation device to provide us with high quality kerosene, which we are always short of. For this tribute, I set aside the many insults her people have made, for the good of The End. That she has a pretty face did not hurt, I will admit.

The Specialists understood. All gave their Go on the decision. Booster did not. Telemetry's sister, a fearsome Cosmonut, disapproving, complaining about missing her chance to loot, was not welcome. In the end I had to give her the honor of a Launch. Her rocket exploded ten seconds into the flight - she did not have The Right Stuff.

I will have to keep an eye on Telemetry. She was Go for the kerosene, but Booster was her blood.

Josef bugman posted:

Redstone
Ah poo poo, look Director I know that your dealing with some stuff and we need to get back into the black. But if your boy Yura tries to do what he did to Skaz then I am not going to be able to keep working on the rockets red glare any more. Sure you can threaten me, but we both know that if your boys keep setting off like this, we are all going to be having trouble.
If Skaz did not want to be strapped to a fuel tank with his guts hanging out while Cosmonuts took pot shots at the fuel tank he was strapped to, he shouldn't have taken a Rover for a joy ride.

Perhaps it was harsh, but Yura is a harsh man, and this is a harsh world. I will have a word with him though - vengeance is one thing. Entertainment another.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Dr. Clockwork posted:

Are you still taking apps? Might whip something up tomorrow.

yes! I'm away from friday evening until probably tuesday night, maybe wednesday, so y'all crazy fuckers will have to sort it out amongst yourselves until then, though

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Director, Skaz is still alive - who intervened?

All - what do you think of Hide as a concept for the game?

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Captain Foo posted:

Director, Skaz is still alive - who intervened?
White Eye. A raving fool, a holy hermit of the wastes, who claims to have been given authority by some painter. I did not care for the details. Yura and the other Cosmonuts, though - they have great respect for the mad, being halfway mad themselves. Count them lucky, and interfering with them ill-omened.

So when White Eye walked up to the fuel tank, the Cosmonuts put up their guns, and let the hermit untie Skaz, treat his wounds, and carry him off to who knows where. I heard later that some sawbones in Crashlanding sewed Skaz back up.

Who knows why the hermit did it. I doubt even he does.

Captain Foo posted:

It's an interesting idea, but it seems like most of the other characters are going to be fairly mobile, which might isolate Hide. My major objection though is kind of counter-intuitive - I think it makes the Maelstrom less weird.

A talking bar is strange, but it's sort of comprehensible as a possession. It's something that, as unusual as it seems, can be sorted into some kind of acceptable category of crazy poo poo that is all over the place in the Wastes.

I like the Maelstrom better when it is aggressively weird. Jagged and impossible to get accustomed to. Something that simply cannot ever be sorted out.

I guess it just feels a little too much like wizard or fantasy magic, as opposed to something essentially incomprehensible and irrational.

suicide4sexbots
Jul 24, 2015

caught in a hyperloop,
spun out into static -
you were never there,
i was never here

so why does my car
still smell like ass
College Slice

Josiah posted:

Nekoda
They say your homestash got raided and burned, anything your able to tell me about the raiders? Any of them have anything really off about them, laughing as they died maybe? Because if this poo poo starts cropping up again we are going to all need to start working poo poo out.

[Shifts her weight to the other hip and looks off in the distance, obviously uncomfortable.] Yeah uhm... that's not a memory I like to dwell on while sober, but since it sounds important to you...

There was this one woman who said something strange, though I obviously was too preoccupied trying to stay alive to take much note of it at the time. Shone, Deezy, Figgo and I were shoving the bodies of our bullet-ravaged buddies up against the door during our last stand, and there was this Royals bitch who had fallen halfway through it, so I tried to flip her, fold her up and kick her outside. It wasn't until I got her turned over that I noticed she was clutching a grenade, giving me this crazy rear end, suicidal grin. Time seemed to freeze while I waited for the blast that would convert me into greasy mist, but for some reason she didn't pull the pin. I remember her voice was like, freaking cold and distant as hell:

"The Storm smiles upon you. Let her make you a shining vessel, child of the Touch."

Then Deezy's shotgun turned her creepy mug into chunky oatmeal, and he hauled my rear end backwards just before an RPG made short work of the door and our human sandbags as well. That was about the time we started bugging up the stairs.

[Nekoda clears her throat and starts nervously rubbing her arms.] So you're the fix-it guy around these parts, right? I heard you're capable of a bit more than that, though. Like you can uh... communicate with things that don't really talk? Hey, I'm not judging. Got my own weird crap going on too sometimes. So, I'm curious. You worked on that stupid huge, rolling Death Star they call Gagarin's End, eh? Did it, like... tell you anything? It seems so fantastic its almost unreal!

---

Director Redstone, I presume? When you rolled into town, well... Actually you couldn't roll all the way into town or there'd be nothing left of it. It must be a constant fight to keep something like that moving and working and not exploding and bringing about the Third Apocalypse or whatever. Lato says he saw you around town the other day, though. Said you looked even more pissed than usual, which is like, almost hard to imagine! Word is, you and Big Lowe got beef over all the real estate you inherently occupy. That true? Or was it something else that got you riled up enough to step out of your tank-hold personally?

Captain Foo posted:

Pretty cool idea! I guess it depends on how +weird you want this game to be. I mean, it could work mechanically, and I know I would have fun with it. Skinners are pretty much pure social, so it's fitting in that respect. But on the other hand, like Comrade Gorbash said, its gonna be stationary (probably?), which means things would have to be centralized somewhat for Hide to be involved.

Could make some interesting scenes!

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

I wanted to add some commentary about Hide.

My idea for Hide was a character in "Doom Patrol," Danny the Street. After reading that I wanted to make a character that is a place. Hide is the result of my thoughts. Its kind of experimental and I'm not entirely sure if it would work.

I figure Hide is the spirit of the pub, embedded into the walls and the furniture inside of it. I figure it could probably act as a poltergeist, but only inside of it. And then only when nothing else works. Since a location can't move, I realized there were several difficulties with the character.

1. A location can't speak nor can it interact with people. 2. A location is immobile. 3. How would someone fight a location?

For the first problem, I would have Hide put messages on a chalk board, or have messages appear inside the bar. Also it could play songs on the jukebox to express itself. I'm not sure if those things could fully interact with other people. For the second issue, I took the Skinner move, "Lost". Lost allows a skinner to draw people to them. Instead of Hide going to people, people would come to Hide. Still there might be the question of why people would want to interact with it. For the last one, I imagine to fight it, one could damage the bar and Hide could use a limited telekinesis to fight back.

So those are the issues I've been dwelling on. There's probably more (for example what Comrade Gorbash brought up). I hope the submission isn't causing any trouble. If it is, I'll get rid of it.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

DocBubonic posted:

I wanted to add some commentary about Hide.

My idea for Hide was a character in "Doom Patrol," Danny the Street. After reading that I wanted to make a character that is a place. Hide is the result of my thoughts. Its kind of experimental and I'm not entirely sure if it would work.

I figure Hide is the spirit of the pub, embedded into the walls and the furniture inside of it. I figure it could probably act as a poltergeist, but only inside of it. And then only when nothing else works. Since a location can't move, I realized there were several difficulties with the character.

1. A location can't speak nor can it interact with people. 2. A location is immobile. 3. How would someone fight a location?

For the first problem, I would have Hide put messages on a chalk board, or have messages appear inside the bar. Also it could play songs on the jukebox to express itself. I'm not sure if those things could fully interact with other people. For the second issue, I took the Skinner move, "Lost". Lost allows a skinner to draw people to them. Instead of Hide going to people, people would come to Hide. Still there might be the question of why people would want to interact with it. For the last one, I imagine to fight it, one could damage the bar and Hide could use a limited telekinesis to fight back.

So those are the issues I've been dwelling on. There's probably more (for example what Comrade Gorbash brought up). I hope the submission isn't causing any trouble. If it is, I'll get rid of it.

Very interesting; I'm still thinking on whether I feel like I can support the character as an MC.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Captain Foo posted:

What is Hide?

Oh. Docs character. I forgot.

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Here I am coming, with the good news of me, and you hate it. You can think only of the bell and how much I have it, and you are never the goose. I will run around with my bell as much as I want and you will make despair.
Buglord
Personally I'm not very wild about Hide.

EnjoiThePureTrip
Apr 16, 2011

Roxanne, the Touchstone

I loved you since I knew ya
I wouldn't talk down to ya
I have to tell you just how I feel

Cool+1 Hard+2 Hot+1 Sharp=0 Weird-1

Look:
  • Man
  • Comfort wear
  • Striking face
  • Clear eyes
  • Thin body

Moves:
  • Visionary: when you share your vision of the future with another player’s character, roll+hard. On a 10+, hold 3 over them. On a 7–9, hold 2 over them. Whenever you like, you can spend your hold, 1 for 1, to have them mark experience. On a miss, they hold 1 over you, on the same terms.

• Indomitable: when you go into battle, roll+hard. On a 10+, hold 3. On a 7–9, hold 2. On a miss, hold 1, but take -1 forward. During the battle you can spend your hold 1 for 1 to:
    • Name an npc within your reach. You kill, disable or disarm them (MC’s choice).
    • Name a character within your reach. You redirect their attack to another character within your reach, or else to nowhere — into the ground or a wall or the sky.
    • Name a character on the scene, but outside your reach. You cross the distance between you before they have time to adjust or react.
    • Name a character within your reach. While you keep fighting, you intercept any attack directed at them and they suffer no harm.
    • Ignore all harm to yourself from an incoming attack.

• Clear-Eyed: when you read a person, roll+hard instead of roll+sharp.

Special move: When you lie intimately with another character, if you love them, all’s well and my blessings. If you don’t love them, permanently scribble out an improvement option you haven’t taken. Don’t scribble out “change your character to a new type.”

Gear: Token of hope, 9mm, big knife, and oddments worth 1 barter

Apparel: Worn tight jeans, brightly-colored tanktop, rose-tinted glasses, fur coat with inside pockets (0 armor)

Token of hope: a symbol of the radiant, loving sun. I’ve got sunshine in a bag, or more accurately a vial. This here is 100%, Grade A Sunbather. As pure as my intentions for this world, honest. This stuff could knock a loving nuke-bear on its rear end. Don’t worry if you don’t have your own kit, though. I’ll give you a taste if you help me with one little thing..

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

suicide4sexbots posted:

[Shifts her weight to the other hip and looks off in the distance, obviously uncomfortable.] Yeah uhm... that's not a memory I like to dwell on while sober, but since it sounds important to you...

[Nekoda clears her throat and starts nervously rubbing her arms.] So you're the fix-it guy around these parts, right? I heard you're capable of a bit more than that, though. Like you can uh... communicate with things that don't really talk? Hey, I'm not judging. Got my own weird crap going on too sometimes. So, I'm curious. You worked on that stupid huge, rolling Death Star they call Gagarin's End, eh? Did it, like... tell you anything? It seems so fantastic its almost unreal!

Yeah... I think we are all going to have a set of problems thats going to be bigger than us very soon. Thanks though miss, I got some cheap gutrot back in the van if you fancy something to take the edge off.

[[http://orokos.com/roll/381572]] (Awesome first roll!)

And well I asked it something when I worked on the old girl and well she is angry as gently caress. The other things I asked was who'd built her and What was wrong enough that it needed me to fix it

Captain Foo posted:

I am personally not the biggest fan, but if Hide is the preferred choice then I would like to see how it plays out in

Captain_Indigo
Jul 29, 2007

"That’s cheating! You know the rules: once you sacrifice something here, you don’t get it back!"

Don't know if this will work, but here's two people who are one character. They'll be together the whole time and we can handwave away everything through narrative. If you don't like it let me know and I'll trim them down to one.

pre:
Marie and Brother
Brainer(s)

Woman and man, masked faces, vacant eyes, formal wear.
Cool+1 Hard+1 Hot-2 Sharp+1 Weird+2

Moves:

Direct-brain whisper projection: you can roll+weird to get the
effects of going aggro, without going aggro. Your victim has to
be able to see you, but you don’t have to interact. If your victim
forces your hand, your mind counts as a weapon (1-harm ap
close loud-optional).

In-brain puppet strings: when you have time and physical intimacy with someone — again, mutual or 1-sided — 
you can plant a command inside their mind. Roll+weird. On a 10+, hold 3. On a 7–9, hold 1. At your will, no matter the circumstances, you can spend your hold 1 for 1:
• inflict 1-harm (ap)
• they take -1 right now
If they fulfill your command, that counts for all your remaining hold. On a miss, you inflict 1-harm (ap) upon your subject, to no benefit. 

Brainer special: If you and another character have sex, you automatically do a
deep brain scan (p34) on them, whether you have the move
or not. Roll+weird as normal. However, the MC chooses which
questions the other character’s player answers.

Gear
She holds: violation glove (hand hi-tech) For purposes of brainer moves, mere skin contact counts as time
and intimacy. Hidden knives (2-harm hand infinite)
He is: pain-wave projector (1-harm ap area loud reload hi-tech) Goes off like a reusable grenade. Hits everyone but you.
They wear: Formal wear (1 armor)
“So these twins come through town and they set up shop,
and SHE tells erryone about the tough life they got,
and fish float in the rivers and birds fall from the sky,
and HE never says a word and no-one asks why.
They never leave each others sight and that's okay,
whole lots of worse things in the world today,
and the headaches and the nosebleeds that arrive as they do,
aint nothing that unusual, they just kind of new.
She say,
“oh hey,
we been through the flats,
the salt mines, East Bromwhich and all of that
blasted out scorchland on the edge of the hole,
let us set up shop - we're good for the soul.
We fix your psyche, chase out your demons,
end all that misery for no loving reasons”

But erryone get dreamz and erryone sick,
She a fuckload of nightmares and he a handful of sticks.
She reads your thoughts, he bust your brain,
sucking up narcos and self-induced pain.
So take my advice and burn her alive,
put a stake through his heart and a dagger in her side,
your life gon' be turned right upside down,
if Marie and her brother come through your town.”

-Anonymous
Found written in blood on the wall of abandoned compound, Sanctuary

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Doc: Let's put Hide back in the box for now; I invite you to take the concept to the Apocalypse World discussion thread in TG proper. Is Key still in play?

Roxanne, who'd you first share your vision with? What happened to them?

Marie, who's found it handy to have you around? Are they actually paying you?

Captain_Indigo
Jul 29, 2007

"That’s cheating! You know the rules: once you sacrifice something here, you don’t get it back!"

Captain Foo posted:

Marie, who's found it handy to have you around? Are they actually paying you?

"Any questions you have, you can address to us both. But yeah, people always want us around. As for payment... yeah we'll take something, but honesty, jingle is so dull. We don't want your shiny things, we want your secret things and your personal things. You can cough up handful of barter but why aren't you offering that necklace? Yeah, we know its cheaper than all that other stuff, but then why aren't you trying to swindle us with it? Probably a photo in there, of who? We'll take the cheap necklace with the photo of your dad in it that your mom gave before she left. Everyone has barter. Only we have that. Also, the three sweetest words in any language are "I owe you". This one is free if you let my brother bleed in your mouth a little. It's not a gross thing, don't worry, it just lets us keep an eye on you.

Jade Jane missed her ex - Rodeo. He's gone off with some other piece of rear end and headed out to The Stormdrain. We did our thing, now she doesn't miss him anymore. Something like that, you pay for. She paid in flowers and a couple of hand mirrors we took a fancy too. BUT, we also know the names of all the people she cheated on Rodeo with. There's seven, if that's of any interest? You could probably guess half of them. The others? Not in a million years. And there's one which she thinks, if Rodeo knew, he'd come all the way back just to kill them.

Big Boy Blue was Little Boy Blue until we turned up. Whoever it was that was bigger than him was real tough and real strong and had a lot of big tough strong friends so Little Boy Blue couldn't hurt him. Fortunately, six days after we turned up that big strong tough man reluctantly shook my brother's hand and that night he had a bad dream about birds and clocks and then he was dead and our blue boy got to be be big. Now him and that huge gun of his owe us a favour one day.

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Captain Foo posted:

Doc: Let's put Hide back in the box for now; I invite you to take the concept to the Apocalypse World discussion thread in TG proper. Is Key still in play?

Its odd. I was having the same kind of thought. Hide needs some work. I really like the concept, but its not ready for a game just yet. Yeah, Key is still in.

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Here I am coming, with the good news of me, and you hate it. You can think only of the bell and how much I have it, and you are never the goose. I will run around with my bell as much as I want and you will make despair.
Buglord

PoultryGeist posted:

Hurricane: Hear there’s been fuckers poking around the Regal recently. That cool with you?

Regal is some serious poo poo. It's out halfway to the Pipe Jungle, where the road gets so rocky you'll lose a tire. The sign says "Regal Cineplex", which is like a hocushouse from back Before. Back then, people came every day to see their gods. Regal is what they called a "triplex", meaning it had three sanctuaries. I think the gods were named Athena, Thor, and Elvis the King — at least that's what I saw written when I went there. Which is not something I'm ever doing again.

The Child-things live there. That's what they call themselves, but they're huge rats, about the size of a toddler, and whip-smart and able to talk like a person. They turned Regal into their own temple to their gods, and they paid me a fair bit of jingle to come paint for them so I went. The sanctuaries were pretty luxe back in the day. Rows and rows of angled seats, so anyone could see the sacrifices, and at the top a closed-in little sniper box in case anyone tried to get frisky. The Child-things do sacrifice to appease their gods, like Gorgon, Montsanto, and the rest, but they aim to actually kill them. They tell me when they finally kill the gods, they'll take their power and rise up and rule this land. They weren't happy with the mural I painted, but Zeke got me out of there alive. I still owe her a favor for that, if she ever comes back.

Anyway, the other night I was up high, listening to this AM radio I borrowed from Josiah, and I caught a signal coming from Regal. Plenty of static, mostly, but I caught two things: They have a brainer working for them now (or is it the other way 'round?), name of Legs, and they have a new god, Gagarin.

Josef bugman posted:

Hurricane
I think I've met you before kid. Which way did you come to end up here?

After I got away from Regal, I went to stay with Zeke's kin for a bit, just in case she was able to get back too. But she didn't show, and I moved on, and that's when Jib-Jib got feeling all possessive. Since then I've been to Yuri's Place, the Breaker's Dozen, and Jonkstown before ending up here. Mostly I got to come and go as I willed — people loved the work I did and I was fit enough to protect myself or find someone to guard me — but I'm not going back to Yuri's Place again willingly, I'll tell you that.

EnjoiThePureTrip
Apr 16, 2011

Captain Foo posted:

Roxanne, who'd you first share your vision with? What happened to them?

For years I've been cooking up delicious batches of all sorts of substances you can smoke, snort, or shoot. Uppers, downers and everything in between. I'm an auteur. A true artist. But the first time I created Sunbather, it was life-altering. I've had things that open your mind before, Sunbather opens your soul.

So, naturally I had to share it with the community I was with, Ol' Deli! I'm a generous supplier. A real charitable benefactor. Plus, I had to perfect the formula, and that's hard to do when you've just blasted off on the best high of your life. I gave the test subjects.. Er.. Gracious volunteers all the Sunbather they wanted while I got what I needed. And they wanted so much. I provided my services free of charge, of course. The whole town loved me. They needed me! I showed them that there was something better than the dull, miserable everyday life. I gave them a chance to escape their pain. And that's all we really want, isn't it? A chance to escape the pain? I am your chance. Just help me spread the word. Everyone is welcome to try it. And if they like it, it won't cost much to keep getting it. Just a few favors here and there. I've got big plans, you see! I can make this wasteland a utopia.

What happened to Ol' Deli? Oh, I had to leave, you see. I had to spread my gift. And they were a small group. Not enough people at all. You've probably never even run into them, too far West of here. I'm sure they're fine though. What? No, I didn't hear about the ghost town west of here. I'm sure there's lots of abandoned outposts in the wasteland. I've no idea why you'd bring that up now or what that has to do with anything..

Even still, probably best just to keep it between you and me. We don't want anyone getting the wrong impression.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

I like what we've got going on here, the world is getting some structure to it, and characters abound. What are you guys interested in? what open questions are the most compelling?

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Captain Foo posted:

I like what we've got going on here, the world is getting some structure to it, and characters abound. What are you guys interested in? what open questions are the most compelling?

Tbh I'm not so much for building structure as playing in and around (and loving with) what everyone else builds.

Like, I don't care to be a star as much as supporting y'all.

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Buglord
What's Gagarin's End rolling towards, and how does its movement make the various other places we've discussed more or less accessible?

Will The Inspired overwhelm and consume other forces and force irrevocable changes to our lives?

How long before Wade brings retribution down on all our heads?

What's gonna happen when The Boss's goals conflict with Baby-Boss's freedom? Is there anything The Boss has that the rest of us need?

Is there still anything out in the Red Swamp?

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

inklesspen posted:

How long before Wade brings retribution down on all our heads?

Chaos is change.
We will open Communist sandcrawlers to the West!
I am crooked, but not a crook!
Strip the flesh and SALT THE WOUNDS!

Captain_Indigo
Jul 29, 2007

Captain Foo posted:

Seems like we've got a whole bunch of gangs and groups and alliances. I love finding out who likes who, who hates who, who secretly works together and who doesn't know?

Who are the big 3? I know there's no status quo out here but who are the 3 scariest motherfuckers?

Lots of these characters seem to drum up trouble in their wake, why hasn't it caught up with us and when it does how is it going to look?

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Captain_Indigo posted:

Lots of these characters seem to drum up trouble in their wake, why hasn't it caught up with us

this one's easy

the game hasn't started yet :q:

suicide4sexbots
Jul 24, 2015

caught in a hyperloop,
spun out into static -
you were never there,
i was never here

so why does my car
still smell like ass
College Slice
it would be rad to actually blast someone into space from the carrier hold! On second thought, since I apped an Angel, I'm gonna go ahead and say rockets are bad - that's my official stance. Unless it's Bubbles on board, then by all means blast off!

the idea of some foreign cult systematically brainwashing local gangs into an unstoppable army sounds creepy cool Huh. That sounds like a lot of potential medical stress too. Scratch that one.

searching through a toxic death zone for treasure... Nowhere near enough bio-hazard suits.

a secret network of freaky Brainers... Nope.

Uh hey, guys? What if we all just got baked and played cards? In, like, a sealed bunker? :420:

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

suicide4sexbots posted:

it would be rad to actually blast someone into space from the carrier hold! On second thought, since I apped an Angel, I'm gonna go ahead and say rockets are bad - that's my official stance. Unless it's Bubbles on board, then by all means blast off!

the idea of some foreign cult systematically brainwashing local gangs into an unstoppable army sounds creepy cool Huh. That sounds like a lot of potential medical stress too. Scratch that one.

searching through a toxic death zone for treasure... Nowhere near enough bio-hazard suits.

a secret network of freaky Brainers... Nope.

Uh hey, guys? What if we all just got baked and played cards? In, like, a sealed bunker? :420:

I WILL BAKE MEAT PIES!

Error 404 fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Mar 11, 2016

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

suicide4sexbots posted:

The reason I apped an Angel is because I expect there to be lots of injuries and dead bodies stacked like cord wood. Rockets going off while a cult of brainwashed minions attacks sounds like a Foo game.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

DocBubonic posted:

The reason I apped an Angel is because I expect there to be lots of injuries and dead bodies stacked like cord wood. Rockets going off while a cult of brainwashed minions attacks sounds like a Foo game.

Wade is ready!

suicide4sexbots
Jul 24, 2015

caught in a hyperloop,
spun out into static -
you were never there,
i was never here

so why does my car
still smell like ass
College Slice
[Shuts her eyes, covers her ears and hums loudly.]

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

[runs over, grabs your hands from your ears and sings along.]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Josiah, what'd you build for Colonel Crocker? Why'd she ask you instead of her own wirerats?

Hurricane, why didn't you hold up your end of the bargain with Jade Jane?

• Locked thread