Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

subpar anachronism posted:

I have some of that peanut butter in my cabinet because I bought it on a lark once. It has been in there two years because it is not very good.

It's great when you put it in oatmeal to cram a little bit more protein into your meal after a workout when you don't want to add more milk and eggs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord

QuickbreathFinisher posted:

Anyone happen to have the "what is waiting for my boyfriend" picture?

E: for content, an oldie but I loving love this picture. It has to be staged.

Right?

Yeah, everything there looks bad on purpose. I think it was for an art piece or something, but I don't remember what the original site it came from was called. More pics and a few other thread favorites here: https://imgur.com/a/0tnPs

My favorite is the cornucopia. :3:

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Solice Kirsk posted:

We should start an Apocalypse Cooking Show and feature poo poo like this. Foods with shelf lifes of 10+ years and the awesome recipes to cook with them. Can someone think of a way to make a flourless carrot cake out of 10 year old carrots and raisins?

Hideo Kojima already beat you to it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vtgCNDny2uk

You gotta be good to your body. Loyal to your body. The people you're cooking for.

The whole family.

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4nq3MCgMdUA

There's a whole channel of this

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

I've come back around. Our civilization is pretty great, actually.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Solice Kirsk posted:

We should start an Apocalypse Cooking Show and feature poo poo like this. Foods with shelf lifes of 10+ years and the awesome recipes to cook with them. Can someone think of a way to make a flourless carrot cake out of 10 year old carrots and raisins?

Some website (I think Huffington Post?) did a thing similar to that, but unfortunately it didn't involve any actual cooking or realistic restrictions. They just got a bunch of professional chefs to decide on 3 ingredients they would use for the rest of their lives in a post-apocalyptic bunker, assuming they also had machines that could provide unlimited flour and oil as well.

If you want to see creative cooking, try the earlier episodes of Cutthroat Kitchen before they start going toward "Cook everything blindfolded while being chased by bees." The chefs actually come up with some really creative ways to get around their handicaps, like only being able to use a wok upside-down (roast peanuts by building a meat border around the top of the wok!) or having to replace all of your apples for pork chops and apple sauce with sour apple hard candy (melt the candy into syrup and mix it with balsamic vinegar to balance the sweetness!).

One especially impressive episode later had a woman trying to bake a custard pie with all of her heat sources except a microwave removed. She managed to bake it through careful, repeated nukings for short times and whisking in between. Turns out that grandmother saddled with the microwave was from a household that had to use a microwave for most cooking, so she had become very proficient in using it for things other than reheating leftovers and frozen dinners.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

chitoryu12 posted:

Some website (I think Huffington Post?) did a thing similar to that, but unfortunately it didn't involve any actual cooking or realistic restrictions. They just got a bunch of professional chefs to decide on 3 ingredients they would use for the rest of their lives in a post-apocalyptic bunker, assuming they also had machines that could provide unlimited flour and oil as well.

If you want to see creative cooking, try the earlier episodes of Cutthroat Kitchen before they start going toward "Cook everything blindfolded while being chased by bees." The chefs actually come up with some really creative ways to get around their handicaps, like only being able to use a wok upside-down (roast peanuts by building a meat border around the top of the wok!) or having to replace all of your apples for pork chops and apple sauce with sour apple hard candy (melt the candy into syrup and mix it with balsamic vinegar to balance the sweetness!).

One especially impressive episode later had a woman trying to bake a custard pie with all of her heat sources except a microwave removed. She managed to bake it through careful, repeated nukings for short times and whisking in between. Turns out that grandmother saddled with the microwave was from a household that had to use a microwave for most cooking, so she had become very proficient in using it for things other than reheating leftovers and frozen dinners.

It's really sad that Alton Brown is now known as "The Cutthroat Kitchen guy"

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Cuththroat Kitchen is so contrived it's ridiculous and thereby terrible

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Is this a sex thing? I don't know anymore.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

Is this a sex thing? I don't know anymore.

It's always a sex thing. Always.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I9xU6IaqeCU

This is pretty drat sexual yeah

He really should have picked out every single seed though

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

I can think of worse hobbies

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Oh hey, how appropriate, Cut Dat just took a razz shot at them in their video today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DdyxXiQOftY

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

cash crab posted:

I can think of worse hobbies

Ugh, like model train enthusiasts. No one cars about HO scale you losers!

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Solice Kirsk posted:

Ugh, like model train enthusiasts. No one cars about HO scale you losers!

Hey :(

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
Meat gives 100 health!

turbacoducken

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Oh hey, how appropriate, Cut Dat just took a razz shot at them in their video today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DdyxXiQOftY

Is this some ASMR thing?

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

YAY WEIRD CAKES

Bonus from IoSM:

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord

Every time I see these videos I get irrationally angry about the poor scalpel technique. :sigh:

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
Fruit gives 50 health!

fruit salad

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

EorayMel posted:

Fruit gives 50 health!

fruit salad

I was recently involved in a going away party that involved a really awesome fruitplate, and I was just thinking about how much I am craving a quality fruit salad. I think this may have cured me. :) Thanks.

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

EorayMel posted:

cheap poo poo canned fruit cocktail

FTFY...?

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

EorayMel posted:

Fruit gives 50 health!

fruit salad

The sound it makes is SLORP

Trillian
Sep 14, 2003

EorayMel posted:

Fruit gives 50 health!

fruit salad

That looks like a crockpot. Is that a... hot fruit salad?

Semisponge
Mar 9, 2006

I FUCKING LOVE BUTTS
Ugh thanks to this thread I remembered about that loving meat pus fountain and now I can't stop thinking about it again

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Bees on Wheat posted:

Every time I see these videos I get irrationally angry about the poor scalpel technique. :sigh:

Ya they've got the general aesthetic totally down but the execution is really sloppy and kinda ruins it. If it were actually surgically precise it'd be great~

Barry Bluejorts
Jun 30, 2013

Now please touch your finger to the tip of your nose.
Pillbug

Dabir posted:

Is this some ASMR thing?

Yes, it's probably a sex thing too.

Marius Pontmercy
Apr 2, 2007

Liberte
Egalite
Beyonce

Trillian posted:

That looks like a crockpot. Is that a... hot fruit salad?

They're going to a Jerri Blank party!

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

That looks far worse than any canned fruit cocktail I have ever seen.

Skinny King Pimp
Aug 25, 2011
Skinny Queen Wimp

bringmyfishback posted:

It's supposed to be a diet substitute or something, right? A lot of low carb recipe sites use it for things.

Yeah, it's dehydrated and had most of the oils removed. You can add it to protein shakes or oatmeal or whatever recipes to get the protein and flavor from the peanuts without the fat. You can also reconstitute it into peanut butter and have control over how much fat you add back, which is why it's a big diet thing.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Skinny King Pimp posted:

You can also reconstitute it into peanut butter and have control over how much fat you add back, which is why it's a big diet thing.
And why that poor skeleton just mixes it with water to "eat" with her "donuts". :smithicide:

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

Schubalts posted:

That looks far worse than any canned fruit cocktail I have ever seen.

I dunno, it's got all the same stuff in it that you'd see in a Del Monte fruit cocktail, though the pinkish slurry it's bathing in looks like it's from a :airquote: tropical :airquote: fruit cocktail IIRC (not to mention the bananas that come in those things, those creepy canned banana chunks :stare:). I was phone posting so I didn't really get such a good look at it, but maybe being in a crockpot is the reason it looks so... sludgy?

It could just as well be somebody's own concoction, but there are things that just scream "canned fruit cocktail" to me in that picture.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

A quick search reveals that there are a number of people in the world who add corn starch to the fruit syrup to thicken it up. :psyduck: That could very well be what's happened here.

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

HOO'S HEAD GOES ALL THE WAY AROUND?

EorayMel posted:

Fruit gives 50 health!

fruit salad

Yummy yummy?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
It's fruit suspended in applesauce.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

steinrokkan posted:

It's fruit suspended in applesauce.

Ohhh that makes so much more sense...at least visually.

Plankhandles
Oct 11, 2012

So, in the last thread there was a picture of a peanut butter and pickle sandwich (I've been affectionately calling it the picklenut butter sandwich) and I gotta say. The whole idea of it has been like a Telltale Heart thrumming away under the floorboards of my mind for the past couple weeks. I couldn't get it out of my head every time I opened the fridge and saw my jar of pickles. I've been watching a lot of Food Network lately and the gears started turning. I thought, "Wow, the vinegar of the pickles might actually cut the sweetness of the peanut butter. Bread and Butters will still be sweet, though, and they should mesh well with the peanut butter, while the crunch of the pickle will give some contrasting texture against the soft bread and the mushy spread."

So I tried it.

Final verdict: poo poo's good :yum:

I'd have put pickles on the whole sandwich, but I only had two left and thought I'd save them for, I don't know. A pickle emergency.

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

I used to do that all the time. Yep, I concur, dat poo poo's pretty good. But now I'm the only one in the household who will eat bread n butter pickles, so I can't justify buying a jar if I'm the only one eating them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Titus Sardonicus posted:

I used to do that all the time. Yep, I concur, dat poo poo's pretty good. But now I'm the only one in the household who will eat bread n butter pickles, so I can't justify buying a jar if I'm the only one eating them.

Why not? They'll stay perfectly fine in the fridge for months after being opened, and it's a couple bucks for a jar. Just buy the drat pickles.