Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

KiteAuraan posted:

Is Gamestop dying? You'd figure with digital distro for almost everything now on consoles and a growing library of digital releases for old games their days would be numbered. Or do they embezzle money or do some scam with pre-orders and trade-ins that somehow keeps the lights on?

I don't know first-hand, but as far as I know most of their revenue has been through pre-owned and trade-ins for a while now. Skeevy as they can be about that sometimes, they're really the most visible choice, and probably the only choice for a lot of people.

And in countries with worse internet than the States, brick-and-mortar stores actually thrive. Here in Australia, EB Games (Gamestop wasn't here before the merger, so they kept the signage) is routinely the best choice for buying games for a lot of people, because their internet often won't be reliable enough to download them without either taking a long time or hitting a usage limit. On top of that, the games are often cheaper when you actually take the exchange rate into account; Fallout 4 was like fifteen bucks cheaper to buy in-person.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

KiteAuraan posted:

Is Gamestop dying? You'd figure with digital distro for almost everything now on consoles and a growing library of digital releases for old games their days would be numbered. Or do they embezzle money or do some scam with pre-orders and trade-ins that somehow keeps the lights on?

Give it another 5 years for digital media to take a bigger market share, Gamestop will be fuuuuucked because when everyone is buying digital there will be no market for used physical media.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Gamestop is doing fine. Their foray into portable electronics (Apple products, tablets) seems to be doing pretty well, especially since you can buy used gear like you can with games, and they've got their own AT&T private-label network ala Straight Talk/Metro PCS.

Also they got smart and now they sell retro games again, and judging by the prices of NES games skyrocketing again recently that should work pretty well for them

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.
Unless the bottom falls out of the video game industry, Gamestop will be with us for the foreseeable future.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
What was that other gaming b&m called that went under? EB Games or something?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

thathonkey posted:

What was that other gaming b&m called that went under? EB Games or something?

they still exist in canada, though i dont understand exactly why

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

drunk asian neighbor posted:

Gamestop is doing fine. Their foray into portable electronics (Apple products, tablets) seems to be doing pretty well, especially since you can buy used gear like you can with games, and they've got their own AT&T private-label network ala Straight Talk/Metro PCS.

Also they got smart and now they sell retro games again, and judging by the prices of NES games skyrocketing again recently that should work pretty well for them

Wait, do you mean wholly at&t owned MVNO Cricket Wireless which has nothing to do with GameStop other then being sold there, or something else?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Rutibex posted:

because they didn't go under, they got bought by gamestop

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Rutibex posted:

Could be like Best Buy / Future Shop - false competition.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

EB was always better than GameStop...I was disappointed when they got bought out especially after comparing the two and how they did trade ins.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
GameCrazy was a separate chain from EB/Gamestop, if I recall correctly. Honestly, I sort of preferred Gamecrazy. At least Gamecrazy had an in-store disc-buffer so you weren't buying games that were scratched to hell, and I think they were doing retro games a few years before they closed.

I sort of wonder if Gamestop is uniquely positioned to just reinvent themselves as a major game RENTAL store for at least a few years should digital distribution take over to a large extent and they're stuck. Since the gradual death of the traditional video store chain, game rentals seem to have taken a hit in my region and I think that's shifted focus to Gamestop and others that deal in preowned.

They already have the inventory of games, and if they succeed in buying enough retro games, they could maybe change the economy of the current retro game market. Gamestop stops their traditional game sales/trading format and shifts to a monthly rental plans ala Gamefly, except offering B&M locations in addition to a mail rental system. Pay a flat fee every month get 'unlimited' game rentals.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Navin Johnson posted:

You're right. Notice I bought a HONDA. Seriously, you expect an Alfa or MG or Wankel to be reliable. You are forgiven for the Chevy I guess............

Only ones in that group I've owned were the MG, an RX-8 and a Chevy C10. Also, Hondas have been poo poo since 2002ish, less reliable than a Hyundai, worse features than a Toyota and super loving gutless. But they still have a much larger market share than they should because of how good their cars were 30 years ago, which is impressive

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

JediTalentAgent posted:

GameCrazy was a separate chain from EB/Gamestop, if I recall correctly. Honestly, I sort of preferred Gamecrazy. At least Gamecrazy had an in-store disc-buffer so you weren't buying games that were scratched to hell, and I think they were doing retro games a few years before they closed.

I sort of wonder if Gamestop is uniquely positioned to just reinvent themselves as a major game RENTAL store for at least a few years should digital distribution take over to a large extent and they're stuck. Since the gradual death of the traditional video store chain, game rentals seem to have taken a hit in my region and I think that's shifted focus to Gamestop and others that deal in preowned.

They already have the inventory of games, and if they succeed in buying enough retro games, they could maybe change the economy of the current retro game market. Gamestop stops their traditional game sales/trading format and shifts to a monthly rental plans ala Gamefly, except offering B&M locations in addition to a mail rental system. Pay a flat fee every month get 'unlimited' game rentals.

Game crazy at least where I lived was never comparable go gamestop/eb games. Game crazy had a few old games but it was mainly a board game (not monopoly ones)store.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
Flikr now charges you to upload.

http://www.theverge.com/2016/3/9/11184518/flickr-photo-uploader-now-paid-feature

GG Yahoo!

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

Gamestop is doing fine I think because of the absurd markup they do on pre-owned games. They'll buy it from you for like $5 then resell it for $55. I haven't traded a game into Gamestop in forever because of this but don't they just give you store credit?

im cute
Sep 21, 2009

Cowman posted:

Gamestop is doing fine I think because of the absurd markup they do on pre-owned games. They'll buy it from you for like $5 then resell it for $55. I haven't traded a game into Gamestop in forever because of this but don't they just give you store credit?

You'd be a fool to trade in anything to gamestop unless you are directly trading up to a new console and they're offering a big fat trade incentive. Even first-party Nintendo games which hold their value for-loving-ever sink lower and lower on the trade-in scale every year and that's their most generous kind. They do offer cash for trade-ins but unless you're trading in things they desperately want you'll be getting an even further reduced rate.

Navin Johnson
Mar 1, 2016

Booblord Zagats posted:

Only ones in that group I've owned were the MG, an RX-8 and a Chevy C10. Also, Hondas have been poo poo since 2002ish, less reliable than a Hyundai, worse features than a Toyota and super loving gutless. But they still have a much larger market share than they should because of how good their cars were 30 years ago, which is impressive

Agreed about the Hondas. You have guts to own an MG. MGB GT's are super pretty though. I liked the BMX M Coupes because they reminded me of GTs

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Navin Johnson posted:

Agreed about the Hondas. You have guts to own an MG. MGB GT's are super pretty though. I liked the BMX M Coupes because they reminded me of GTs

I only had it for about 8 months before I realized there were better ways to try and get myself killed

Navin Johnson
Mar 1, 2016

They still have many Gamestops here in So Cal. I stopped going there for three reasons:

1. Kids who don't know poo poo about sales pushing their stupid store membership or pre-orders. Yawn.
2. poo poo trade-in values and poo poo used game values along with their fingerprinting/signature procedure (California only?).
3. Discovered Amazon bought used games and paid more for them.

Now along with digital, I think a visit to Gamestop for me would pure folly. I HOPE they circle the drain, and that right soon!

Navin Johnson
Mar 1, 2016

Booblord Zagats posted:

I only had it for about 8 months before I realized there were better ways to try and get myself killed

Please..............do tell! Brakes, electrical, all of the above?

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Navin Johnson posted:

Please..............do tell! Brakes, electrical, all of the above?

Rear passenger lugs broke while I was going 45. No one was hurt but I figured when your car starts trying to identify as a Reliant Robin it's time to pack it in

Navin Johnson
Mar 1, 2016

Not to make light but that is very very funny. I remember seeing that car on Top Gear. It had my wife cracking up!

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I heard Drano is circling the drain in this economy

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Navin Johnson posted:

Not to make light but that is very very funny. I remember seeing that car on Top Gear. It had my wife cracking up!

I make light of it pretty often, don't feel bad for laughing

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

amityville anus posted:

:mediocre:

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!

johnny sack posted:

Almost all cars are reliable if you take even just average care of it - ie adhering to some or most of the routine maintenance.

Most modern drivetrains are much more reliable than they used to be, but at the same time take stock of how much little poo poo on them breaks. American cars and trucks have stuff like door handles and radio knobs snap, sunroofs that leak, radios that short out... And for some reason even though we've salted the gently caress out of the roads for forever now but while pretty much every Tacoma ever made is going quite strong (Or Toyota replaces the frame when they discover issues) while lots of domestic trucks fall to shreds.

On the other hand, on a Civic or Corolla from '96 it's rare to even see the fabric on the roof sagging. And the sunroofs are still strong enough to hurt your hand. Japan makes cars that go forever.

Tumble has a new favorite as of 21:25 on Mar 9, 2016

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Tumble posted:

Most modern drivetrains are much more reliable than they used to be, but at the same time take stock of how much little poo poo on them breaks. American cars and trucks have stuff like door handles and radio knobs snap, sunroofs that leak, radios that short out... And for some reason even though we've salted the gently caress out of the roads for forever now but while pretty much every Tacoma ever made is going quite strong (Or Toyota replaces the frame when they discover issues) while lots of domestic trucks fall to shreds.

On the other hand, on a Civic or Corolla from '96 it's rare to even see the fabric on the roof sagging. And the sunroofs are still strong enough to hurt your hand. Japan makes cars that go forever.

A lot of this depends on where you live. In the high desert mid 90s Hondas and Toyotas didn't last as long as German and American cars from the same era because how easily they became horrendously sun damaged and would have paint flake, not to mention the wiring goes to poo poo after a few years of 100+ degree days at 5500 feet. If I drive around I can see dozens of mid-late 90s Pontiac Gran Prix/ams and F-150s doing and looking great, but aside from Tacomas and Tundras, the Japanese ones look terrible.

And the worst cars for the sun roof to leak are Volvos according to my buddy who runs a Ford/GM/Nissan dealer

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Booblord Zagats posted:

Someone's never had a rotary, 80s-90s Dodge/Chrysler or low horse power Chevy built before 2007

e: or Alfa, MG or Pontiac Fiero

Rotaries are only unreliable if they are turbocharged. A naturally-aspirated rotary will run forever as long as you keep up on oil and rev the poo poo out of it regularly.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Cubey posted:

Rotaries are only unreliable if they are turbocharged. A naturally-aspirated rotary will run forever as long as you keep up on oil and rev the poo poo out of it regularly.

I did both and lost seals twice on my RX-8. The second time is what forced me to say gently caress it and buy a G37S

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Captain Yossarian posted:

Wait, do you mean wholly at&t owned MVNO Cricket Wireless which has nothing to do with GameStop other then being sold there, or something else?

Something else.

I guess they're literally just selling AT&T under the Spring Mobile name maybe? I dunno, a buddy of mine is a regional director for AT&T and his basic explanation to me was that they were basically Boost or Virgin or Cricket except they don't try to hide the fact that they're piggybacking on a bigger network.

Snow Cone Capone has a new favorite as of 22:15 on Mar 9, 2016

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

Weird. Since that happened in 2013, I wonder if they did anything with it?

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Captain Yossarian posted:

Weird. Since that happened in 2013, I wonder if they did anything with it?

Yeah no idea. It actually looks like it's literally just a brand name for selling AT&T, I don't think they even have their own "network" a la Cricket

http://careers.gamestop.com/our-brands/spring-mobile/

e: that site reminds me that yeah, EB and Gamestop are the same company now, and also that Gamestop owns Thinkgeek and Kongregate which I did not know.

Yeah, looks like they'll be around for a while yet.

Snow Cone Capone has a new favorite as of 22:22 on Mar 9, 2016

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

Cubey posted:

That was true until the RX-8 motor, unfortunately, Mazda blew it trying to eke out a few more HP. The old carbureted 12A's and N/A injected 13B's were very reliable.

The bad thing about Mazda rotary-powered cars is that you either A) have a good-running engine, or B) you need an entire new powerplant. There's no real way to do a quick fix or backyard rebuild or grab some parts at a junkyard to keep an old one going - when it's hosed, you're hosed. So when they got old, nobody wanted to plow 2k$ or more into a $1000 car and they went to the crusher.

There were literally tens of thousands of first-gen RX-7's running around the Bay Area in the Eighties - and I tried to race every drat one of them with my hot-poo poo bridgeported RX-2 - but I haven't seen one on the street in years. Too bad, they were incredibly fun to drive.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Qapla' to a true warrior! :patriot:

Seagate's stock performance has been poo poo, they can't seem to develop a drat thing more technologically challenging than platter drives, they're overextended on purchasing mediocre but promising smaller companies and then driving their products and quality into the dirt, they've been through multiple massive layoff events through 2015, and they just got loving phished and lost all their employee's W-2 data for 2015, last week.

If gravity takes over too much though, I expect WD is going to funnel them money or tech to keep them from entirely capitulating, as I'm sure they'd prefer to have one lovely competitor rather than get broken up as a monopoly.

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!

JnnyThndrs posted:

That was true until the RX-8 motor, unfortunately, Mazda blew it trying to eke out a few more HP. The old carbureted 12A's and N/A injected 13B's were very reliable.

The bad thing about Mazda rotary-powered cars is that you either A) have a good-running engine, or B) you need an entire new powerplant. There's no real way to do a quick fix or backyard rebuild or grab some parts at a junkyard to keep an old one going - when it's hosed, you're hosed. So when they got old, nobody wanted to plow 2k$ or more into a $1000 car and they went to the crusher.

It's especially bad after Cash-for-Clunkers knocked off a ton of fun cars like the RX line.

But I also think that Mazda's rotary engines got let down by the owners not understanding the key differences in maintenance and letting things slide. They weren't too unreliable when the instructions were followed.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

amityville anus posted:

About 542 SA posters thought of posting this, including me, but stopped. But here we are.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Darth123123 posted:

About 542 SA posters thought of posting this, including me, but stopped. But here we are.

A lot of goons have restraint. And speaking of restraint, I'm pretty sure Takata's circling the drain behind the whole deadly air bag controversy.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

drunk asian neighbor posted:

thank god for that, i was bitter when they bought Funcoland

im cute
Sep 21, 2009

Y-Hat posted:

thank god for that, i was bitter when they bought Funcoland

They're cashing in (late) on the retro game bubble. Probably not a bad idea, actually, if they were sitting on warehouses full of old games they were no longer allowed to sell... until now!

Still mad about it though. Where does anyone get off selling mystery condition cart-only N64 games for $30?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Houle
Oct 21, 2010
I'd actually be an EBGames/GameStop customer if they had rentals. It was great to rent a game at Blockbuster knowing it is just a short campaign with the bare minimum of anything else attached to it. No need to spend 80CAD on something that is just the latest yearly instalment with ported over assets and minimal new content or scenarios attached to it.

I think the Tony Hawk franchise has finally fallen into its resting place. The developer Activision keeps putting in charge of that franchise is probably going to be taken apart too considering they keep making really awful games that are a buggy clunky mess. I mean how do you gently caress up an HD port of THPS2?!